Archive through April 14, 2013

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Star Fleet Battles: Star Fleet Battles Online: Tournaments: SFBOL World League 2: Archive through April 14, 2013
By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Wednesday, March 13, 2013 - 05:30 pm: Edit

>>The Vudar technology is not too strange (if you exclude the EW effects of the IPG which I think are already excluded) and the ion cannon is a nice weapon that is just a little different without doing anything bizarre. The Vudar is kind of like a Fed that doesn't suck.>>

The problem is that with *no* EW capabilities for the IPG, it is just a slightly more complicated ADD, and the ship isn't that interesting (I mean, yes, I agree--it is like a Fed that is a little less punishing and more resistant to drones). And with full EW capabilities, it is just insanely overpowered. So there needs to be some kind of middle ground, and I'm not interested in being the guy who invents that middle ground. Especially given that the PTB don't seem interested in allowing ship generated EW (even as a special option for the Vudar) into the tournament environment (which is totally understandable, but hard on the Vudar).

So on those grounds, I'm not real interested in the Vudar. The Peladine seems totally reasonable (with G torps, no SP, and no drone points) and without any learning hitches. The Borak seems like it might be super good. And I'm a tad concerned about it given that it has both a couple P4s (more or less) and a couple fighters. The FRAX isn't real exciting, but again, not difficult, and might excite some people to play.

By Matthew Potter (Neonpico) on Wednesday, March 13, 2013 - 06:29 pm: Edit

So let's ditch the Vudar and the Borak (like Sheap, I'm less interested in the Borak while they aren't even "real" yet). Officially adding the Frax and the Peladine is probably enough craziness to stir the pot without tipping the darned thing over.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Wednesday, March 13, 2013 - 06:43 pm: Edit

So that'd be:

-Current Playtest Andro
-Peladine
-FRAX
-Maesron

In addition to the regular ships (no Jindarian).

By Matthew Potter (Neonpico) on Wednesday, March 13, 2013 - 06:50 pm: Edit

Looks good to me.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Thursday, March 14, 2013 - 09:00 am: Edit

Per Brian and Sheap, I think there is an argument to be made that the Fed should have the fabled G rack as well. That thing needs to be flown for playtesting.

By David Zimdars (Zimdarsdavid) on Thursday, March 14, 2013 - 10:40 am: Edit

Do what extent do we think the teams will have players that will take the playtest ships?

Putting the playtest ships in the Master's tournament has an even more interesting possibliities; as players who otherwise would not bother to fly the playtest ships might be forced to do so.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Thursday, March 14, 2013 - 11:03 am: Edit

>>Do what extent do we think the teams will have players that will take the playtest ships?>>

Who knows? They will be available to people who want to use them. My involvement with people using them stops there.

By Matthew Potter (Neonpico) on Thursday, March 14, 2013 - 12:07 pm: Edit

For what it's worth, I'm toying with the idea of taking the Frax or the Andro

By Mike Kenyon (Mikek) on Thursday, March 14, 2013 - 12:29 pm: Edit

I for one would advocate for the Borak. I have played them with the tourney cruiser (offline). While I agree that the ship is mighty oomphy at say R1, the real damage potential doesn't come from the Megaphasers but from the phaser cannons (better average damage at any good P2 range) as I remember. Sad thing is, it has a glass jaw at those ranges. The Megaphasers are fairly resilient to damage as they are turret mounted, but also very hard to actually get into play because of the mauler arcs on them.

By Mike Kenyon (Mikek) on Thursday, March 14, 2013 - 12:32 pm: Edit

I would also like to point out if it was missed, that according to the T2012 module (and I'm paraphrasing here cause I don't have it in front of me), the FRAX has enough playtest material to warrant a sanction already, but that there is no intention to give it one because it's not a real ship.

If you're actually looking to get something sanctioned through this, would it not be better to check and see what could actually get a sanction if there was enough information for it and limit the choices to those?

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Thursday, March 14, 2013 - 01:41 pm: Edit

Mike wrote:
>>If you're actually looking to get something sanctioned through this, would it not be better to check and see what could actually get a sanction if there was enough information for it and limit the choices to those? >>

All I'm interested in here is having a fun, low stress tournament with a few new ships mixed in to make people who like new things happy. If it generates playtest info, that is good too, but I'm not super concerned one way or the other.

By Mike Kenyon (Mikek) on Thursday, March 14, 2013 - 03:10 pm: Edit

Peter, I'm also good with that. There was discussion from several quarters that "X ship should be flown for playtesting", so I got the impression that not everyone was on that page.

From my perspective, I'm largely ambivalent to which ships end up getting taken.

By William T Wilson (Sheap) on Thursday, March 14, 2013 - 03:18 pm: Edit

There are some playtest ships I would take and some I wouldn't. I probably wouldn't take the Peladine since I think this version is too weak and I don't think it has anything to prove tech-wise (it would be great in Masters, though). I would probably take the Vudar if it was available and didn't look broken somehow. I would take a G-rack Fed and I would be very tempted to take the playtest Andro. I would not take the Borak or Maesron as I don't have the rules, and I would not take the Frax as I really cannot imagine a less interesting ship (yay, more drones and disruptors, and with the added bonus of meaningless firing arcs).

Of all those ships, the Peladine, Borak, and Vudar are probably the most "sanctionable" since the Vudar are real and the others are "almost real," and the Peladine have very conventional technology.

If I used a playtest ship, I would send playtest reports.

By Mike Kenyon (Mikek) on Thursday, March 14, 2013 - 03:46 pm: Edit

Of the set that'd been mentioned, I'd play the Andro, Borak, Maesron or the Frax.

Probably wouldn't play the Fed or the Peladine.

In all cases, the decision is based off of what I think would be fun to play. Not overly concerned about "realness", sanctionability or conventionality of their tech.

By Jon Taylor (Vendetta) on Friday, March 15, 2013 - 10:56 am: Edit

Don't have rules for Borak or Maesron. Would probably need a summary of at least how the weapons are charged posted so I would know what to do against them.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Friday, March 15, 2013 - 12:27 pm: Edit

When that becomes important, it will happen.

By Mike Kenyon (Mikek) on Friday, March 15, 2013 - 04:48 pm: Edit

Jon, the rules for them are very, very simple. I've actually thought that they're a good training race for first battles because they're viable with only phaser-based weapons (both a strength and weakness). The only really complicated bit is their fighters to speak of. Pretty much everything (including them) is just a rehash of old rules from other things mashed together.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Wednesday, April 10, 2013 - 06:45 pm: Edit

So I haven't forgotten about all of this. I'll start taking sign ups this weekend (in the sense that I'll post stuff as needed). Those paying attention should start considering a three player team (I'm assuming I'm with Droid and Duke at press time).

The 4 added goofy ships available for playing will be:

-Current Playtest Andro (2xTRH/6xP2/3xBTTY)
-Maesron (Omega)
-FRAX
-Peladine

The only one of those that requires special rule knowledge is the Maesron, but that is fairly minimal and I'll post a synopsis. FRAX and Peladine use standard Alpha technology. Andro us, ya know, an Andro.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Sunday, April 14, 2013 - 10:39 am: Edit

Ok! So now I'm taking sign ups for World League 2013!

If you are unsure about what World League is, click on the World League 2012 link at the top of this page. Short version is--this is a team tournament. Each team has 3 players. In the first round, each player plays 3 games (standard tournament duels--the individual *games* aren't team/multi player) against 3 different opponents from opposing teams. You score points for winning. You score points for losing (but playing). At the end of the first round, scores are tallied, and some number of teams advance to a single elimination (by team) tree. Eventually, a team wins!

The specific format of how the initial round robin play works depends on how many teams we get. In the past, there were pools, and cross pools, and one pool, and whatever. But in any case, I'm just going to play it by ear at this point, and figure it out based on the number of teams that show up.

As noted above, this year, there are 4 goofy/playtest ships available for the tournament!

-Current Playtest Andro (2xTRH/6xP2/3xBTTY)
-Maesron (Omega ship)
-FRAX
-Peladine

I'll post a synopsis of the Maesron specific rules before we start playing (they are very straight forward--they have Tachyon Guns, a two turn arming heavy DF weapon with variable arming levels that aren't that different than photons, although their maximum range changes depending on how heavily they are armed, and they are very good at long range; Tachyon Missiles that are very heavy drones; they can launch a maximum of 2 per turn, they tend to take 10+ damage to destroy, they come with some anti-tractor, their warhead isn't all that big relative to the damage they take to kill; something like 10-16 damage caused; other than that, they are just space ships with phasers and shields like normal). The Peladine is just a ship with Plasma Gs, Plasma Fs, a couple drone racks, and a lot of P2s.

I'm not going to *require* it, but I'd like to encourage at least 1 person on each team to take one of the playtest ships.

What I need from you all is the following:

1) Someone be a Team Captain. The only responsibility the Team Captain has is to follow the directions in this message.

2) Team Captain should then send me an e-mail (my e-mail is in my profile; pdb6 at lightlink dot com) with this information in this format:

Team Name

Player 1 Name; Player 1 SFBOL handle; Player 1 e-mail; Player 1 ship choice.

Player 2 Name; Player 2 SFBOL handle; Player 2 e-mail; Player 2 ship choice.

Player 3 Name; Player 3 SFBOL handle; Player 3 e-mail; Player 3 ship choice.

That is all. Please follow these instructions, as it makes my life amazingly easier if I don't have to chase folks down for this information.

Each player is going to pick one ship that they will use the whole tournament.

In terms of building teams, I'd *really* like for folks to organize themselves as teams. Have some initiative. Like, I'm willing to put random people together into teams, but if you can organize yourselves (either in this thread, which is fine, or via e-mail) into teams, that is vastly easier for me and better for you. Feel free to post "Hey! I want to be on a team!" here if you don't have a team already, but when, say, 3 people all do that, boom, make yourselves a team. Or people who have gumption should pick folks up and make a team out of them.

It'll take a bit to update the webpage (I'm looking for a new page editor--anyone know a good, cheap/freeware HTML editor for mac these days?), and I'll get an e-mail sent out hopefully soon.

Start arranging teams! I'd like to have a month to organize, and I'll aim to start on the weekend of May 18th.

By Matthew Potter (Neonpico) on Sunday, April 14, 2013 - 10:46 am: Edit

I'm interested in playing

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Sunday, April 14, 2013 - 02:41 pm: Edit

And now you are a team Captain! Go get 2 other players!

By Stephen McCann (Moose) on Sunday, April 14, 2013 - 03:46 pm: Edit

I don't think that either of my usual teammates (Marcus and Brooke) are playing online anymore, so I am interested in finding some teammates.

By Ron Brimeyer (Captainron) on Sunday, April 14, 2013 - 04:04 pm: Edit

Dave and Ken,

Are the bikinis back?

By Paul Franz (Andromedan) on Sunday, April 14, 2013 - 06:35 pm: Edit

Stephen,
I would be happy to be your teammate.

By David Zimdars (Zimdarsdavid) on Sunday, April 14, 2013 - 07:44 pm: Edit

I'm happy to wear a bikini with Ken and Ron any year :)

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation