Archive through April 19, 2013

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Star Fleet Battles: Star Fleet Battles Online: Tournaments: SFBOL World League 2: Archive through April 19, 2013
By Mike Kenyon (Mikek) on Sunday, April 14, 2013 - 10:24 pm: Edit

I'd be up for playing.

By Chris Proper (Duke) on Monday, April 15, 2013 - 11:23 am: Edit

Hey Droid? Want to adopt a Moose?

By Paul Scott (The_Rock) on Monday, April 15, 2013 - 12:55 pm: Edit

Peter,
Where can I find SSDs for those (other than the Andro)?

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Monday, April 15, 2013 - 02:24 pm: Edit

They are all on SFBOL. In the Tournament ship pull down.

By Majead Farsi (Devil) on Monday, April 15, 2013 - 03:31 pm: Edit

If anyone is short of a player for their teams I'll fill in as needed. Do not want to be captain as yet!

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Monday, April 15, 2013 - 04:30 pm: Edit

Proper wrote:
>>Hey Droid? Want to adopt a Moose?>>

Hey! I heard that!

In any case, Steve, if you want to reform Team New Jersey:

A) I'm pretty sure Barry will play, given the Maesron being available.

B) Sackett.

Lemme know if you need help contacting folks!

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Monday, April 15, 2013 - 04:31 pm: Edit

Reposting Tourney Info:

Ok! So now I'm taking sign ups for World League 2013!

If you are unsure about what World League is, click on the World League 2012 link at the top of this page. Short version is--this is a team tournament. Each team has 3 players. In the first round, each player plays 3 games (standard tournament duels--the individual *games* aren't team/multi player) against 3 different opponents from opposing teams. You score points for winning. You score points for losing (but playing). At the end of the first round, scores are tallied, and some number of teams advance to a single elimination (by team) tree. Eventually, a team wins!

The specific format of how the initial round robin play works depends on how many teams we get. In the past, there were pools, and cross pools, and one pool, and whatever. But in any case, I'm just going to play it by ear at this point, and figure it out based on the number of teams that show up.

As noted above, this year, there are 4 goofy/playtest ships available for the tournament!

-Current Playtest Andro (2xTRH/6xP2/3xBTTY)
-Maesron (Omega ship)
-FRAX
-Peladine

I'll post a synopsis of the Maesron specific rules before we start playing (they are very straight forward--they have Tachyon Guns, a two turn arming heavy DF weapon with variable arming levels that aren't that different than photons, although their maximum range changes depending on how heavily they are armed, and they are very good at long range; Tachyon Missiles that are very heavy drones; they can launch a maximum of 2 per turn, they tend to take 10+ damage to destroy, they come with some anti-tractor, their warhead isn't all that big relative to the damage they take to kill; something like 10-16 damage caused; other than that, they are just space ships with phasers and shields like normal). The Peladine is just a ship with Plasma Gs, Plasma Fs, a couple drone racks, and a lot of P2s.

I'm not going to *require* it, but I'd like to encourage at least 1 person on each team to take one of the playtest ships.

What I need from you all is the following:

1) Someone be a Team Captain. The only responsibility the Team Captain has is to follow the directions in this message.

2) Team Captain should then send me an e-mail (my e-mail is in my profile; pdb6 at lightlink dot com) with this information in this format:

Team Name

Player 1 Name; Player 1 SFBOL handle; Player 1 e-mail; Player 1 ship choice.

Player 2 Name; Player 2 SFBOL handle; Player 2 e-mail; Player 2 ship choice.

Player 3 Name; Player 3 SFBOL handle; Player 3 e-mail; Player 3 ship choice.

That is all. Please follow these instructions, as it makes my life amazingly easier if I don't have to chase folks down for this information.

Each player is going to pick one ship that they will use the whole tournament.

In terms of building teams, I'd *really* like for folks to organize themselves as teams. Have some initiative. Like, I'm willing to put random people together into teams, but if you can organize yourselves (either in this thread, which is fine, or via e-mail) into teams, that is vastly easier for me and better for you. Feel free to post "Hey! I want to be on a team!" here if you don't have a team already, but when, say, 3 people all do that, boom, make yourselves a team. Or people who have gumption should pick folks up and make a team out of them.

It'll take a bit to update the webpage (I'm looking for a new page editor--anyone know a good, cheap/freeware HTML editor for mac these days?), and I'll get an e-mail sent out hopefully soon.

Start arranging teams! I'd like to have a month to organize, and I'll aim to start on the weekend of May 18th.

By William T Wilson (Sheap) on Monday, April 15, 2013 - 04:59 pm: Edit

You might consider www.divshot.com

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Monday, April 15, 2013 - 05:00 pm: Edit

I have no idea what that means...

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Monday, April 15, 2013 - 05:04 pm: Edit

Ah. Less confused now. Maybe? I'm really just looking for a nice, easy, cheap/freeware draggy-droppy page editor. I used Adobe Pagemill embarrassingly *long* after it ceased to exist. But can't do that anymore. So I'm looking for something that is pretty much the same. But works on my new machine.

By Ken Lin (Old_School) on Monday, April 15, 2013 - 06:12 pm: Edit

Bikini!

By Ron Brimeyer (Captainron) on Monday, April 15, 2013 - 07:39 pm: Edit

Peter,

The Bikinis are in. We will get back to you with ships.

BTW, I will NOT be in the Shark.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Monday, April 15, 2013 - 08:51 pm: Edit

Just, ya know, someone who is Orion Bikini Team Captain send me the appropriate e-mail info.

By Jon Taylor (Vendetta) on Monday, April 15, 2013 - 10:40 pm: Edit

Alien demon battalion care to defend our title?

By Clayton Krueger (Krieg) on Tuesday, April 16, 2013 - 09:06 am: Edit

I'm in!

By Paul Franz (Andromedan) on Wednesday, April 17, 2013 - 10:50 pm: Edit

Email blast has been sent out.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Thursday, April 18, 2013 - 07:32 am: Edit

Thank you, Paul!

By John Rigley (Crash) on Thursday, April 18, 2013 - 08:33 pm: Edit

Tean SWA is looking for a *RINGER* to join are team. Any Captain intersted in joining one of the top teams from last year please drop me a line.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Thursday, April 18, 2013 - 09:49 pm: Edit

John. I know you want me real bad. But I am already on a team. Sorry.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Thursday, April 18, 2013 - 09:51 pm: Edit

Unless they kick me off and adopt Moose. Of which there has been some discussion. In that case I could be on your team.

By Chris Proper (Duke) on Thursday, April 18, 2013 - 09:56 pm: Edit

Shh. Don't let SWA know that Moose is looking for a home. They're looking for a ringer, of which Moose is one.

By Ken Lin (Old_School) on Thursday, April 18, 2013 - 10:02 pm: Edit

OK, I need the SFB community to tell me why my thinking about the Maesron is wrong. I want to fly this ship, I really do, never flown it before, looks cool and interesting. Full disclosure, all errors in this post are my own alone.

So, it has 40 power, great! It also has 4 TGs which I believe, to fully overload, cost 2h (4) + 4 = 6 apiece, that's 24 + 4 HK + 2 shuttles (Let's assume we need a couple of shuttles) = 30, leaving 10 for movement. That's crazy. Who in their right mind would fly a ship with this power curve? The 24 OL cost is 10 more than the Fed's 14 OL cost!! Even without personally having flown this ship, it's in desperate need of T1 OL energy a la FED, as well as 0.25 holding cost a la FED. Otherwise, no one's ever going to fly it, even in playtest.

Someone please tell me my math or my understanding of the rules is wrong. Please. And then I might fly it. Maybe.

By William T Wilson (Sheap) on Thursday, April 18, 2013 - 11:04 pm: Edit

Where can I get the actual SSD for this version of the Andromedan? Other than in a tournament room in the client, that is.

By Mike Kenyon (Mikek) on Friday, April 19, 2013 - 01:24 am: Edit

Ken,

It's got "dial-a-overload" and holdable overloads. It also is only good at R1 with fully powered overloads so you probably shouldn't use that as the basis for your general attack strategy. If you put 4 points in, it does 18 points on average at range 15. that's not bad, not bad at all ... better than a Klink for sure and the phasers add to the at that range.

If you arm at that level, you've got 26 power for movement which is much more reasonable.

So, while it's not a NICE crunch (fed level) if you happen to find yourself in the position to use it. it's got a heck of a mid-range shot and that's where it seems to like to be.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Friday, April 19, 2013 - 08:46 am: Edit

Ken wrote:
>>So, it has 40 power, great! It also has 4 TGs which I believe, to fully overload, cost 2h (4) + 4 = 6 apiece, that's 24 + 4 HK + 2 shuttles (Let's assume we need a couple of shuttles) = 30, leaving 10 for movement. That's crazy.>>

It is crazy. Which is why it won't ever happen. Keep in mind that the more power is in the TG, the shorter range it has. So arming to 8 total power as a default is a horrible idea (as it is going to make you slow, and less likely to be able to get to the close range you need to get to to fire them). They have a 1-5 to hit out to R8, so arming them to the level that hits out to R8 (10 damage, maybe?) and trying to fight there is probably a good option.

Tachyon Guns, in practice, are very rarely armed to 8 total power. They are generally armed in the 5-6 point range. (on T1, if you are holding them at 4 total power for 2 each, and put 1 extra power in all of them, that is 12 total power on a ship with 40 to start with. Which is a solid power curve.) If you get in closer than you planned, sure, use some reserve to up some of them to heavier loads. But going into the game saying "I'm going to arm them all up to 8 on T1" is generally asking to never get to shoot someone.

It is like a Fed. With less crunch power, more accuracy, and those two giant drones to get in the way.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation