Archive through April 21, 2013

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Star Fleet Battles: Star Fleet Battles Online: Tournaments: SFBOL World League 2: Archive through April 21, 2013
By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Friday, April 19, 2013 - 08:49 am: Edit

Sheap wrote:
>>Where can I get the actual SSD for this version of the Andromedan? Other than in a tournament room in the client, that is.>>

In the tournament room in the client. Oh. Wait.

All the ships in question (Andro, Maesron, FRAX, Peladine) are in the tournament SFBOL library. As this is an SFBOL based tournament, I'm assuming everyone involved has access to the SFBOL Tournament Library.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Friday, April 19, 2013 - 03:58 pm: Edit

Now that I am home and looking at the Tachyon Gun chart, it is important to realize the significant range limits on the gun:

-8 power: 16 damage, maximum range of 1.
-7 power: 12 damage, maximum range of 3.
-6 power, 10 damage, maximum range of 5.
-5 power, 8 damage, maximum range of 8.
-4 power, 5 damage, maximum range of 16.

With a 1-5 to hit across the board out to R16 (it can shoot past 16 as well for less power and less damage).

So if you arm all of your guns at 8 power (i.e. max), you can't shoot past R1. That seems like a horrible plan. Arming to 5 or 6 power most of the time seems like the best plan, and if you end up closer then that, use some batteries to up the guns.

By Josh Driscol (Gfb) on Friday, April 19, 2013 - 04:20 pm: Edit

So whats the story on TM's and anti drones are they damaged like a shuttle, a 1D6 damage roll on a hit?

I have the rules but they dont seem to cover anti drones.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Friday, April 19, 2013 - 04:26 pm: Edit

(OFD1.353)--they are treated as shuttles when hit by ADDs (i.e. they take a d6 of damage).

By Josh Driscol (Gfb) on Friday, April 19, 2013 - 04:38 pm: Edit

Thanks.

By John Rigley (Crash) on Friday, April 19, 2013 - 04:57 pm: Edit

Thanks to all the RINGERS that e mailed me. But it looks like Team SWA will be the same as last year. DaveC,CrashandBurn , and a Sheap , so the band is back together for one more year.

By Ken Lin (Old_School) on Friday, April 19, 2013 - 08:46 pm: Edit

Thanks all for the Maesron comments. Still thinking it over. SSD is kinda ugly. Sorry, but these things matter!! :)

By William T Wilson (Sheap) on Friday, April 19, 2013 - 09:58 pm: Edit

Yeah, the candy-color SSD drives me up the wall too. Maybe in M&Ms, one of those stands for Maesron?

By Paul Franz (Andromedan) on Saturday, April 20, 2013 - 10:48 am: Edit

Looking for Player!!

Team PA has two out of three slots filled.

Looking for a player to play with two wild and crazy guys!!

Note: Team name is subject to change without notice.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Saturday, April 20, 2013 - 03:19 pm: Edit

So we have run into a minor glitch.

Apparently, getting permission to post even a synopsis of the Omega/Maesron rules on the web is a huge to do. So I'm not going to do that.

I'd like to keep the Maesron in the tournament, realizing that it will be a minor hassle. The rules really aren't that complicated, and they are easy enough to explain to folks when they come up. Is anyone deeply opposed to this?

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Saturday, April 20, 2013 - 04:24 pm: Edit

No I am not deeply opposed.

By Mike Kenyon (Mikek) on Saturday, April 20, 2013 - 05:04 pm: Edit

I am not opposed.

By Ron Brimeyer (Captainron) on Saturday, April 20, 2013 - 05:44 pm: Edit

no problem here. I like surprises.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Saturday, April 20, 2013 - 06:25 pm: Edit

At the current time, I'm kind of in a holding pattern. It is possible I can get a rules synopsis approved to be put up here. We'll see what happens.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Saturday, April 20, 2013 - 06:31 pm: Edit

Not a "huge to do" but a significant thing. (Complicated by the fact that one of those involved in the approval process is unreachable on Saturdays.)

We don't really want to post actual rules for free, and we certainly don't want to be in a situation where we post all of any given rulebook for free over a period of a year or two. The only real reason to include Omega ships is to sell more Omega, not to give Omega away.

Posting an executive summary of the rules for one omega empire as a sales promotion thing might get approved (I'm not the only vote in that) and even then I'd be more comfortable if Gary Carney read it first and pronounced it accurate and suitable.

Even then, we're a little torn, as an executive summary is about as good as the actual rule in some regards, and we're certainly not going to post an executive summary of 25% of the omega rules every few months until we've printed all of them. I certainly do not see us ever posting another section of the omega rules (even in summary form; the sales benefit is achieved with one such post), and I'd have been happier if ADB had been involved in picking which Omega empire to use (one with the minimum of rules). Last I heard, the selected empire needed a lot of rules and we might be a lot happier with a lot fewer.

Basically, any judge that wants to include a weird ship in his event and thinks that he can easily get permission to post the rules for it (so he doesn't need to ask until the last minute) needs to talk to ADB before he tells players they can use that empire. That way we don't end up halfway into a tournament and unable to move forward, or forced to move forward in an awkward way.

To repeat, if your project involves getting ADB Inc. permission to post something, you should talk to use before you publicly launch your project. We don't want to look mean and we don't want you to look foolish. Its better to get permission before you reach the point that the project will collapse without it since we can (if there is a problem) help you find another way or another project.

Added notes:

1. Jean could be a good ally in getting permission if she is convinced that there is a marketing advantage, e.g., getting people to buy products they didn't buy before.

2. Anything, even a summary, has to be on the ADB website not your website. Which isn't a problem unless you want it uploaded in the next hour or so because Joel doesn't work every day. After Joel moves on (April 30th) he will be doing website updates every 2-4 days so don't assume it can be uploaded "right away".

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Saturday, April 20, 2013 - 07:03 pm: Edit

For the sake of clarity--a summary of the Maesron rules isn't something that this event *needs* to have to exist. It isn't going to collapse without it. If we can't get a rules summary posted, we'll survive. Most folks involved have the rules in question already, and the people who don't can have them explained to them reasonably quickly. Had the event *required* them to proceed, I would have investigated the possibility before starting the event. But as a rules summary would just be a convenience, it didn't occur to me that it was something that needed approval a head of time (as opposed to just me asking about it when it seemed pertinent, which is now).

I appreciate your willingness to entertain this idea at this point. But still, if it isn't something that can happen, the tournament will still work as planned.

By Richard B. Eitzen (Rbeitzen) on Saturday, April 20, 2013 - 07:36 pm: Edit

I'm not in the tournament, but I've been a judge in tournaments. If one player can't have the rules for certain things, there are definitely potential problems. Relying on others to verbally (or whatever) explain it without concrete written rules to look at is going to be a disadvantage for that player and could prove troublesome to a tournament.

By William T Wilson (Sheap) on Saturday, April 20, 2013 - 08:28 pm: Edit

My understanding is that the Maesron rules are not that complicated. The tachyon gun seems to be about as complicated as a photon torpedo, and the tachyon missile is kinda like a big drone, and then there are phasers which are just like phasers with a different chart, and ... that's pretty much it, right? There aren't any really complex rules here.

I am one of those in the position of "learn the rules by osmosis" and I am willing to live with it. I wouldn't want to learn ESGs, PA panels, web or whatever that way. But I don't think the Maesron stuff is that complex.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Saturday, April 20, 2013 - 08:33 pm: Edit

The Maesron has Tachyon Guns. That are about as complicated as Photon Torpedoes (most of the unique info is on the weapon chart). Tachyon Missiles. They are like big drones. And most of the unique info necessary to use them (i.e. the specifics of the inidividual missile designs) is listed on the SSD. They have phasers that are just like regular phasers except for the damage chart. That's it.

Tachyon Missiles have all sorts of complicated construction rules. But we aren't using those. The rules are simple enough.

By Matthew Potter (Neonpico) on Saturday, April 20, 2013 - 08:41 pm: Edit

I'm with Sheap about this. I don't have the Maesron rules, but I learn by osmosis. Sure I might blame a loss on the fact I didn't have a good idea of the other guy's limitations and strengths, but that won't keep me from being happy if I pull out a win.

By Gregg Dieckhaus (Gdieck) on Sunday, April 21, 2013 - 01:22 pm: Edit

FYI the Omega 1 rulebook is $12.00 in spare parts.

Maybe it could be put up on E23? Or Maybe the Maesron rules could become a small e23 module?

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Sunday, April 21, 2013 - 02:03 pm: Edit

Yeah, for 12 bucks, the Omega 1 rulebook is totally super worth it. I imagine if it were available on e23 (just the Omega 1 rulebook), it would sell to a bunch of people if for no other reason than this.

By Kerry E Mullan (Nomad17) on Sunday, April 21, 2013 - 02:04 pm: Edit

Looking for a team anyone still need one more?

By Matthew Potter (Neonpico) on Sunday, April 21, 2013 - 06:54 pm: Edit

Kerry: I think Josh and I have formed a team. We'd be looking for a third.

By Kerry E Mullan (Nomad17) on Sunday, April 21, 2013 - 10:06 pm: Edit

Sure I can be your third then.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation