Archive through May 20, 2013

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Star Fleet Battles: Star Fleet Battles Online: Tournaments: SFBOL World League 2: Archive through May 20, 2013
By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Sunday, May 12, 2013 - 08:26 am: Edit

Brett is in, Ken is in, Sackett is probably in. That's a team. We are up to 9.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 07:39 am: Edit

Sackett!

By Brian Evans (Romwe) on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 12:48 pm: Edit

Sackett makes a fantastic magnet.. despite being a little creepy.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Wednesday, May 15, 2013 - 09:26 pm: Edit

Ok, so we are holding strong at 9 teams, which means that the last two guys who wanted to sign up (Ken and Brett) got in, and then I hornswaggled Sackett to play as a 3rd, which he is good with too, so my waiting till the 18th paid off in that two guys who got in late and wanted to play get to play.

I'll assume at this point that no one else is playing, and I'll set up the tree this weekend. I think that I'm going to end up in the exact same place as last year (i.e. IIRC, we had 9 teams last year), which was weird, but manageable.

By Ken Lin (Old_School) on Wednesday, May 15, 2013 - 09:31 pm: Edit

Just an interesting historical note, for the 1st time ever, Orion Bikini Team... has an Orion on it. :)

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Thursday, May 16, 2013 - 09:31 am: Edit

So in checking--last year we had 10 teams, and this year we have 9. Which will result in a single pool of 9 teams with a lot of random match ups.

I think with 9 teams, we can get each team playing 1 game vs each other team, and then one more?

Something like:

A1 vs B1
A1 vs C1
A1 vs D1

A2 vs E1
A2 vs F1
A2 vs G1

A3 vs H1
A3 vs I1
A3 vs B2

Or something? Ideas?

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Thursday, May 16, 2013 - 10:05 am: Edit

And with 9 teams, we'll have a top 4 teams advance to the single elim final round.

I haven't posted tournament rules yet as:

A) Most folks involved mostly know what the rules are already anyway.

B) The rules page randomly vanished off the internet, and I got an old copy of the rules from Ken, but need to completely re-write the whole thing before I post them. I'll try to do that this weekend some time.

By Gregg Dieckhaus (Gdieck) on Thursday, May 16, 2013 - 12:49 pm: Edit

Seeing as I had an early exit from the RAT... I now have time to play. If anyone needs a sub let me know.

Gregg

By Josh Driscol (Gfb) on Thursday, May 16, 2013 - 12:53 pm: Edit

You could join Spartan and V_Raptor as a 10th team.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Saturday, May 18, 2013 - 08:00 am: Edit

Ok, so we got 9 teams, and Gregg as an alternate (who will inevitably fill in when someone vanishes).

I got a lot going on this weekend, but I'll try and get an initial bracket up tomorrow some time.

By Barry Kirk (Barrykirk) on Saturday, May 18, 2013 - 10:48 am: Edit

Looking forward to it... Been too long since I've played SFB

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Saturday, May 18, 2013 - 11:02 am: Edit

Go team Maesron!

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Sunday, May 19, 2013 - 04:31 pm: Edit

So the grid is almost done and will be posted soon.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Sunday, May 19, 2013 - 05:14 pm: Edit

The Round Robin Tree is now up!

You can view it by clicking on the World League 2013 link at the top of the page, and then go to the Round Robin Tree link near the bottom of the page.

We will have 8 weeks to complete 3 games each. The deadline for the Round Robin Tree round is July 14th, 2013.

I still haven't actually posted the new rules page (I'll try to get that up tonight), but the short version is:

Play your three games against your three opponents. If you win, you get 3 points. If you lose, you get 1 point. If you don't show up, you get 0 points (this doesn't happen much). If you actively resign a game for whatever reason, you get the 1 point for losing and your opponent gets the 3 points for winning.

We have a wildcard/fill in player, so if someone needs to drop out of their team for whatever reason, let me know, and I'll replace you.

Everyone please put some effort into arranging to play games (i.e. don't just wait for your opponent to e-mail *you*; if everyone does that, no games ever happen...). 8 weeks is plenty of time for 3 games (2 weeks per game, plus some extra just in case).

For tie breakers if needed, I'm going to go with Strength of Schedule (each player gets a score for the record of the opponents they beat--if you beat someone who is 2-1, you get 2 points; if you beat someone who is 1-2, you get 1 point; if you beat someone who is 0-3, you get 0 points). If this doesn't break ties, then we have SUDDEN DEATH. Sometimes this happens.

The top 4 teams from the initial pool of 9 will advance to the single elimination finals in July.

On the tree currently, Brett Johnson is listed as having a callsign of Johnson, as I don't remember what his is. Hopefully, he'll let me know soon and I'll fix that.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Sunday, May 19, 2013 - 05:22 pm: Edit

The Round Robin Tree was constructed by randomly lining up the teams from 1-9, randomly lining up players 1-3, and then randomly assigning games as best as I could. Occasionally I had to reassign folks due to a civil war I wanted to avoid. A couple people have to fight the same ship twice.

In terms of ship numbers:
GBS: 5
ORI: 3
GRN: 3
FRX: 3
HYD: 3
MAE: 2
AND: 2
KLI: 1
SEL: 1
ATC: 1
LDR: 1
PEL: 1
WAX: 1

8 people took playtest ships (which is about 1 per team, so at least that's something).

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Sunday, May 19, 2013 - 06:51 pm: Edit

who is Andy? Who IS Andy? Is Andy Sackett? Palmer? Klenotic? Laszlo? Myself!!!!???
Seriously we should have a callsign lookup.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Sunday, May 19, 2013 - 08:20 pm: Edit

Who woulda consider such a thing...

By William T Wilson (Sheap) on Sunday, May 19, 2013 - 10:07 pm: Edit

Quote:

For tie breakers if needed, I'm going to go with Strength of Schedule (each player gets a score for the record of the opponents they beat)

Do you mean strength of schedule, or strength of victory?

By Andy Vancil (Andy) on Sunday, May 19, 2013 - 10:47 pm: Edit

You know, the Andy who flies Hydran. Oh, wait, that doesn't narrow it down much.

It appears Andy is me (Laszlo).

By Josh Driscol (Gfb) on Sunday, May 19, 2013 - 11:14 pm: Edit

I think "Johnson" is Agent_of_Change but when I look him up with the subscriber search it says there is nobody with that callsign.

By William T Wilson (Sheap) on Sunday, May 19, 2013 - 11:49 pm: Edit

Heh, two of my matchups are against other unsanctioned ships, not sure if that's good or bad for playtesting.

Where is the Maesron rule summary?

Aha! It's here:
http://www.starfleetgames.com/sfb/tournament/ssd/maesrontournament.shtml

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Monday, May 20, 2013 - 07:40 am: Edit

William wrote:
>>Do you mean strength of schedule, or strength of victory?>>

Oh, I don't know what I mean. I mean whatever it is that I wrote out.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Monday, May 20, 2013 - 08:05 am: Edit

William also wrote:
>>Heh, two of my matchups are against other unsanctioned ships, not sure if that's good or bad for playtesting.>>

I don't either, but there was only so much I could do. Arranging that tree with 9 teams while trying to avoid civil wars (which I succeeded at) and trying to avoid having someone play the same ship twice (which I didn't quite succeed at), and then a few other factors (avoiding people playing vs nothing but GBS and FRX; avoiding people having to play against two Fleet Captains)? Kind of a nightmare.

I realize that I probably could have just built a matrix and plugged folks in, but even trying to build the matrix was nightmarish. So I just rolled dice and re-rolled/swapped folks around as needed.

Having to worry about avoiding playtest ships against other playtest ships was very low on the priority list.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Monday, May 20, 2013 - 08:07 am: Edit

Andy wrote:
>>You know, the Andy who flies Hydran. Oh, wait, that doesn't narrow it down much.

It appears Andy is me (Laszlo).>>

Ah, crap. Yeah, that is wrong too. Whoever sent in your team information listed you as having "Andy" as your callsign. When I started to put stuff in the tree, it occurred to me that that seemed weird, but then forgot to check. I'll fix that.

Sigh. My instructions. Not that complicated.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Monday, May 20, 2013 - 08:09 am: Edit

William also, also wrote:
>>Where is the Maesron rule summary?>>

Yeah, I'll put a link to that on the tournament page eventually.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation