Archive through May 27, 2013

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Star Fleet Battles: Star Fleet Battles Online: Tournaments: SFBOL World League 2: Archive through May 27, 2013
By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Monday, May 20, 2013 - 04:08 pm: Edit

And...twist!

So I got an e-mail today from Geoff Clark (Spartan) hoping his 10th team could get into the tournament.

On the one hand, I'm perfectly happy to have a 10th team and more people playing.

On the other hand, it took me, like, 2 hours to put together the existing tree, and I'm not super excited about spending another two hours making a new tree.

Opinions from the crowd?

(Like in reality, I'm inclined to just rebuild the tree with the 10th team and go with it. But it'll take me a few days to make a new tree).

By Matthew Potter (Neonpico) on Monday, May 20, 2013 - 04:22 pm: Edit

I don't mind a tree re-build.

By Stephen McCann (Moose) on Monday, May 20, 2013 - 04:23 pm: Edit

I am fine with that. The more the merrier.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Monday, May 20, 2013 - 04:53 pm: Edit

Yeah, I'm just going to rebuild the tree with 10 teams. So everyone hold off on arranging games. I'll post a new tree as soon as I can. I'm just going to add the 10th team, and randomly kill 9 matches and slot in the new 9 matches. So most folks will end up with the same matches they currently have, but 9 people will get some new ones. I hope that works out the way I hope it will...

I did link the Maesron rules primer to the main World League page, so they'll be easy to find.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Monday, May 20, 2013 - 05:14 pm: Edit

Tarnation! Mike and I were fixin to wrastle! Just joking...whatever is fine with me.

By Andy Vancil (Andy) on Monday, May 20, 2013 - 05:44 pm: Edit

With 10 teams, it should be easier to arrange, because each team can play one person from each of the other 9 teams. Plus there will be 10 * 3 * 3 / 2 matches, which is a whole number, so you don't need a wildcard match like you do with 9.

By Ken Lin (Old_School) on Monday, May 20, 2013 - 05:47 pm: Edit

More is better!

By Mike Kenyon (Mikek) on Monday, May 20, 2013 - 06:30 pm: Edit

Agreed, I was happy with the tree as it was and I will be happy with the tree as it shall be.

Just looking forward to getting some games in as the Maesron.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Monday, May 20, 2013 - 07:03 pm: Edit

Andy wrote:
>>so you don't need a wildcard match like you do with 9.>>

Hmm. I don't have a wildcard match with 9. That can't be good...

By William T Wilson (Sheap) on Monday, May 20, 2013 - 08:04 pm: Edit

Quote:

Having to worry about avoiding playtest ships against other playtest ships was very low on the priority list.

Not a complaint, just an observation. I'll consider it a two for one sale on playtest reports.

Quote:

With 10 teams, it should be easier to arrange, because each team can play one person from each of the other 9 teams.

Yeah. While I don't at all object to adding another team, I think it's better if you just regenerate the tree, assuming one game against each other team. I personally do not care much about civil wars or RPS matchups or whatever.

I should have noticed this sooner, but Andy (V) is right. With an odd number of teams, someone has to play either two or four games. In this case, you made a mistake: Andromedan's list shows him playing Vendetta, but Vendetta does not show Andromedan as an opponent in his own opponent list. So, effectively, Vendetta got assigned four games.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Monday, May 20, 2013 - 08:15 pm: Edit

William wrote:
>>I should have noticed this sooner, but Andy (V) is right. With an odd number of teams, someone has to play either two or four games. In this case, you made a mistake: Andromedan's list shows him playing Vendetta, but Vendetta does not show Andromedan as an opponent in his own opponent list. So, effectively, Vendetta got assigned four games.>>

Yeah, crud. Well, it's all well and good then that I'm making a new tree. 'Cause the original one was wrong anyway. Doh.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Monday, May 20, 2013 - 08:27 pm: Edit

Keep on Keeping on Brother bakija!

By David Zimdars (Zimdarsdavid) on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 - 05:59 pm: Edit

Brother Bakija - that has a wonderful lyrical ring to it.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 - 06:55 pm: Edit

Wheels. In motion.

By Stephen McCann (Moose) on Saturday, May 25, 2013 - 12:36 pm: Edit

Hey Peter, everything okay? No news in 4 days :) Just making sure all is well.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Saturday, May 25, 2013 - 01:29 pm: Edit

Wheels. In motion.

Well, really, I spent a couple days waiting to get ship info from the last team, and then spent a couple days going "Hmm. I don't have time to do this right now.", and will put up the newer, better tree tomorrow.

By Stephen McCann (Moose) on Saturday, May 25, 2013 - 01:36 pm: Edit

NP, no real hurry, just wanted to make sure there were no problems.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Sunday, May 26, 2013 - 12:35 pm: Edit

Ok. This time, for sure!

The World League Round Robin Tree is now up. Click on the link above to find it. I think it is all correct (i.e. no one is matched against someone who isn't matched against them), but it isn't impossible I missed something, so please check your match ups to make sure everything is correct.

I managed to avoid civil wars. I failed to make sure everyone was fighting three different ships (a few people have to fight the same kind of ship twice).

You have 8 weeks to arrange and complete your three games. The deadline for the Round Robin stage is July 21 (i.e. 8 weeks from today).

If everyone paying attention to this thread check in, so I know people know what is going on. I realize that not everyone checks the board every day, but if everyone involved in this tournament could try and check this discussion every few days or so, it would make things a lot more workable.

Everyone also *please* be pro-active in arranging your matches. Please don't wait for your opponent to e-mail you. You e-mail them. Their e-mail is easily found using the subscriber search function (also found on the World League page linked above). It isn't impossible that I capitalized or didn't capitalize something in a callsign, and the search function is case sensitive, so if you have trouble finding an e-mail, shoot me a message as I have everyone's e-mail.

The Maesron rule synopsis is linked to the main World League page. The SSDs to the playtest ships (AND, MAE, PEL, FRX) are all on SFBOL in the tournament ship selection. The FRAX and Peladine don't get Scatter Packs or drone points. They both can swap for 2x type IV drones (i.e. they are just like the GBS, drone wise).

By Matthew Potter (Neonpico) on Sunday, May 26, 2013 - 01:14 pm: Edit

Blue one, Checking in.

By Ron Brimeyer (Captainron) on Sunday, May 26, 2013 - 02:26 pm: Edit

Small typo. You have Sheap in the ATC in our match. But I see he is flying AND.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Sunday, May 26, 2013 - 03:13 pm: Edit

Ah, yes. *You* are the ATC. He is the Andro. Fixing that.

By Drew Klenotic (Tillek) on Sunday, May 26, 2013 - 10:49 pm: Edit

Drew here sir!

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Monday, May 27, 2013 - 09:38 am: Edit

Could more people leave notes indicating that they have seen this?

If everyone who knows that things are happening contact their opponents, then people will rapidly figure out things are happening. And if you are feeling super responsible, e-mail your teammates too.

I got ahold of one of my opponents, haven't heard back from the second, and Brian's e-mail got bounced (Brian! e-mail me!).

By Josh Driscol (Gfb) on Monday, May 27, 2013 - 09:39 am: Edit

I've seen the tree.

By Paul Franz (Andromedan) on Monday, May 27, 2013 - 10:14 am: Edit

My games look like they are in sync.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation