Archive through July 09, 2013

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Star Fleet Battles: Star Fleet Battles Online: Tournaments: SFBOL World League 2: Archive through July 09, 2013
By David Zimdars (Zimdarsdavid) on Monday, July 01, 2013 - 12:15 pm: Edit

A key factor in the outcome was that my #5 was down to exactly 0 by his 2.32 fire. Had I had 1 box (say slightly worse dice) i could have used specific. reinf. - I'd have had a lot more in tractor and a bit more speed, and may have gotten a R0 shot and passed over the WBS before his phasers and drones cycled. I presume Kerry had at least 5 bats for his trac, as I could only muster 3 anti trac at that point, so I didn't test him. Not saying that would have won me the game, but we might have played a little while longer.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Monday, July 01, 2013 - 07:07 pm: Edit

So we are still just over 1/3rd of the way done (16 out of 45 games). It is July 1st, and we have till the 21st to get games done (i.e. about 3 weeks). Let's get going out there!

By Kerry E Mullan (Nomad17) on Monday, July 01, 2013 - 07:21 pm: Edit

David 100% correct in that I just had batts. Yeah if I did not knock that shield down on 2.32 it would have been a much harder game.
I woulda had to hope to get a drone hit if you coulda thrown specific up.

By Drew Klenotic (Tillek) on Tuesday, July 02, 2013 - 12:58 am: Edit

I have one more day of work, then I'm off for a week, have a few overnight shifts and then another week off... so I'll be getting with my opponents soon. Just been swamped trying to get things done so I can enjoy having a huge chunk of July off.

By Ken Lin (Old_School) on Tuesday, July 02, 2013 - 09:01 pm: Edit

Old_School (LDR) over Duke (HYD)

**blush** Well, both Chris and I made some pretty egregious errors in this one, only Chris' happened earlier and I turned out to be the beneficiary.

T1: HYD 16/31 with 2 OLs, no fusions, 2 Sui. LDR 15/30 with 15 points in Disr, partial HET. Chris angles for r8 on my #1 just before the defensive ESGs go up, hitting with both OL HBs but poorly on phas, I burn 2 batts to keep the #1 from being the weakest shield. My return fire after Chris turns off is on the #4 at r6 (best Chris would allow me), rolling well for 3/4 OLs + good phasers, 35 = 6 ints after batts, P1 and a fusion.

T2 is a reload turn for both (I am recharging ESGs), I get a few ints through the #4 but nothing important except for 1 more fusion as we circle around).

T3: LDR is 28/15 late with 1 OL, allocated HET. HYD is 14/19/26 with 2 OLs and 2 Suis. As we approach, Chris lets loose the fighters. We are angling around r4 and I fire 6xP1 and 1 OL (miss) at Chris' #1, taking it mostly down. Now Chris makes the 1st egregious error, aggressively closing to point blank and forgetting that the "defensive" ESG's (announced early T3) can actually do damage. I turn in to r0, doing 40 (35 ints, killing 4 more phas, a HB, and a trac). Chris tracs me here which I allow, since I think I can blow the other tractor off the ship. The Hyd then launches 2 Suis. We exchange fire, me doing 41 from OL (batts) and 2 Gats, plus HB feedback, Chris doing 10+15 or so from remaining phasers and the last HB. The 2nd HYD trac is killed, releasing me. I am in good shape here but warily eyeing the fighters.

Next impulse we both go and the fts HET towards me. I am thinking, "awesome!", I have an allocated HET and all and counter-HET past the dangerous fighters! Here's my egregious error, somehow I forgot abut the Suis, next impulse HETing into the Suis for 36 internals through my down #1. Yes, I know, I know, very brilliant. At end of turn I am down to 12 (?) power, 2 gat, 2 P1, 2 disr. Doesn't sound like a lot except the HYD has no weapons and 1 power.

T4 the ftrs and 1 shut chase me, but I am able to kill the ftrs with 2xP1 and a Gat from close range, taking minimal internals in exchange, and Chris concedes.

Good game Chris... I think?

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Tuesday, July 02, 2013 - 09:32 pm: Edit

Good golly. Now I need to beat Bill

By Paul Franz (Andromedan) on Tuesday, July 02, 2013 - 10:48 pm: Edit

Vendetta (GBS) defeats Andromedan (AND 2xTRH, 6xP2)

Turn 1: GBS does a corner dodge launch 4 drones spacing them out over 8 impulses and the AND comes straight in killing the first two drones.

Turn 2: AND turns to the right as the drones chase him and the GBS launches 2 more drones and turns to the center of the map as the AND runs up the side of the map knocking down more drones.

Turn 3: AND makes an attack run on the GBS gets range 4 off the shield #2 and fires both TRHs for 21 points of damage and the DD. Displace behind the GBS and ran. The GBS HETs and gives chase. AND places a TBomb in front of the GBS and a group of drones that is chasing me. The GBS drops the tracking to the drones to avoid having the TBomb damage Shield #6 of the GBS. The Tbomb does 10 to Shield #5 and the GBS fires 3 OL Disruptors and hits with 3 for 18 on the rear panels.

Turn 4: AND starts 3 hexes from the GBS. GBS faces the AND if the AND goes straight the GBS gets a 3 hex shot at the Rear Panels. So the AND HETs to a range 1 off the Shield #6. GBS Alpha Strike does 94 points of damage and the game is over.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Wednesday, July 03, 2013 - 10:38 am: Edit

I lose to Bill.
Once again I was in a position on turn 2 where I needed to get lucky to win. . Bill outshot me soundly getting 3 phasers, a disruptor and a drone rack on 17? or so in. My return fire was pretty much a whiff, but I did manage to get 5 meaningless internals. Bill then followed up with 5 hit and run raids next impulse that get a drone rack and another phaser, AND a phaser 1 shot getting 2 or three more phasers. I throw the towel in here.
My Whiff notwithstanding, my plan of trading alphas at range 4 was dubious against a Klingon. I outphaser him by 3, so advantage me by 11 or so points. However he is likely hitting with an extra disruptor due to UIM, and he is firing on a Frax flank shield which is 6 point weaker than his front shields. Advantage Klink by 3 or 4 points. In order for this shot to work out in the Frax's favor, it needs to be even or even outhit the klink with disruptors, which is a tall task.
After turn one, I should have speedy weaseled his SP stack and taken it from there. Ah well, hindsight! It's 20/20!

Well flown Bill, and good luck the rest of the way, which I can say now because we won't be making it to the next round unless a whole bunch of folks dont show up to play. And Chris also needs to win a game.

By Chris Proper (Duke) on Wednesday, July 03, 2013 - 11:01 am: Edit

Don't count on me. All my fights wind up in "How to play bad SFB."

By Josh Driscol (Gfb) on Thursday, July 04, 2013 - 10:51 am: Edit

Andromedan defeated me in our game last night.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Thursday, July 04, 2013 - 11:54 am: Edit

Ok, so we are at 20/45 games done (almost half way!).

The current standings are:
-FYPSWWTW: 12 (4/9)
-Iron Mans 3: 12 (8/9)
-Ice Men: 11 (5/9)
-3 Stooges: 10 (4/9)
-Wild and Crazy Guys: 9 (5/9)
-ADB: 8 (3/9)
-Torpedo Triad: 8 (4/9)
-Bikini Team: 7 (3/9)
-Illegal Aliens: 2 (2/9)
-SWA: 1 (1/9)

Please check and let me know if I'm missing any game results. Now that I think of it, I'm pretty sure that CrashandBurn played another game. Lemme go look for that.

We have till Sunday, July 21 to finish games. As long as I get results before I set up the Single Elim tree on Monday the 22nd, they will count (i.e. you have till late on Sunday the 21st my time to finish games and e-mail/post results).

By Brian Evans (Romwe) on Thursday, July 04, 2013 - 09:09 pm: Edit

Vendetta(WBS) over Romwe(ORI). Shark kills Orion with tractor and seekers, after taking the Orion's alpha. Well played by Jon.

By Gregg Dieckhaus (Gdieck) on Friday, July 05, 2013 - 09:34 am: Edit

Gregg vs Paul Scheduled for Sunday morning, (and afternoon and evening... if its anything like our last game)
:)

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Friday, July 05, 2013 - 09:48 am: Edit

Yaa! We are over half done! We have 23/45 games complete!

And so far, here is what we have discovered from the playtesting aspect of this event:

The WYN GBS is strong.

Sigh.

By Jon Taylor (Vendetta) on Friday, July 05, 2013 - 03:44 pm: Edit

Looking at my 3 wins in the WBS:

1. The Andro against the Shark is almost impossible. If I miss with every disrupter it is probably a game, maybe.

2. I take back what I said about the Frax earlier. I did learn from my one loss against it before. I think it is a cool ship but in reality it can't hold out against 4 drones and 2 shuttle bays. It's phaser 1's are not well protected and it has big blind spots. It kinda looks like a weaker shark when you get down to it...

3. Orion- I almost lost this battle. Romwe played a great game. If he had gotten my 2nd tractor on multiple volleys he would have won.

By Andrew J. Koch (Droid) on Saturday, July 06, 2013 - 01:38 pm: Edit

Well, not much compares that well to a Shark. If you want to win a tournament, and you have a choice of one ship, you can't go wrong with the Shark BB.

The Frax is fun to fly, and I am pretty sure that it would be just below middle of the pack if we had more data on it. It does have two bays by the way.
It is very easy to shoot someone with 8 p-1s and 4 disr. The drones it has are better than nothing, but really aren't enough to soak up any offensive phasers, and you are totally out-droned by anyone else who has drones. It does quite well against BP, and I think should do pretty well against a Hydran (although Laszlo beat me with his Hydran). Against other drone/disruptor ships, the Lyrans, or the Fed, the fact that you need to constantly expose weak flank shields is a big detriment.
The ship isn't hopeless, could probably use some tweaking. But given the low ebb of tweak energy we have, I think it's way down the list of priorities.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Saturday, July 06, 2013 - 04:50 pm: Edit

Oh, heh, I'm not like, cranking about people playing the Shark. I'm just being snide about the fact that we have a bunch of playtest ships in operation, and most of them are just getting killed by Sharks and Orions (which just worked out that way, match up wise), both of which we know are strong.

It is kind of like all those times I played a playtest Andro game against a Fed. They all went like this:

The Fed go to R4 and hit with some photons. The game was over.

By Paul Scott (The_Rock) on Sunday, July 07, 2013 - 02:29 pm: Edit

The_Rock (WBS(BB)) defeats Gregg (TFH)

By Clayton Krueger (Krieg) on Sunday, July 07, 2013 - 04:32 pm: Edit

Captain Ron (ATC) on bikini team defeats krieg (GRN) on ADB team

By Paul Scott (The_Rock) on Monday, July 08, 2013 - 06:03 pm: Edit

The_Rock (WBS(BB)) defeats Sir_Krotar (ORI(FgF11)).

By Gregg Dieckhaus (Gdieck) on Monday, July 08, 2013 - 11:00 pm: Edit

Questions about the andro, I assume this is the 3 trl one on the website? Also how many points of battery power can it start with?

By Paul Franz (Andromedan) on Tuesday, July 09, 2013 - 05:19 am: Edit

Gregg,
No. It is the 2 TRH, 6 P2 one that has 3 btty that is the current play test version of the Andromedan

By Gregg Dieckhaus (Gdieck) on Tuesday, July 09, 2013 - 03:57 pm: Edit

Please provide a URL

By Matthew Potter (Neonpico) on Tuesday, July 09, 2013 - 04:38 pm: Edit

I see the incorrect version is posted here. I know the client has the proper one (labelled "2011 Playtest Version" IIRC. Which gives you some idea how far behind the ADB website is getting). I can't find the proper version on the website.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Tuesday, July 09, 2013 - 05:20 pm: Edit

The current useable Andro is on SFBOL (and likely only there). I don't think it is posted on a website anywhere. It is, as noted, listed as "Andromedan Tournament Krait 2011 (Official ADB Playtest)" give or take.

It has 2xTRH, 6xP2, 3 batteries.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation