Archive through July 23, 2013

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Star Fleet Battles: Star Fleet Battles Online: Tournaments: SFBOL World League 2: Archive through July 23, 2013
By Peter Bakija (Bakija) on Sunday, July 21, 2013 - 12:22 pm: Edit

Ok, so here are the remaining outstanding games (as far as I can tell):

-BS vs Klenotic (I saw an e-mail last night from Bill; I don't know if the game happened or not).

-Agent of Change vs BaldnForty (I know this is underway, but I don't know if it is done or not).

-AdmirlDZZI vs Laszlo (I don't know if this is happening. This might be the one Dave resigned?)

-Scottish Engineer vs MaxSpeed (I don't know anything about this one).

-Max Speed vs Klenotic (I also don't know anything about this one).

-Devil vs Greg (I saw some discusison or e-mail from this one, but don't know if it is going to happen).

-GFB vs Krotar (I don't know anything about this one).

I'm assuming that all three Sheap games are going to be no shows, so I'm not worrying about that one.

Please post some info if you have it.

By Ken Rotar (Sir_Krotar) on Sunday, July 21, 2013 - 06:37 pm: Edit

I won the game against GFB but it only got posted under my game list.

By Brett W Johnson (Bjohnson) on Sunday, July 21, 2013 - 07:53 pm: Edit

My game against BaldnForty is complete. I managed to eke out a victory.

I closed to 8 and dumped on his brick, turned out. He fired at me. I turned in and went to zero against his empty ship. Did a little bit of damage the next turn. My 2nd to last good shield (#1 was toasted).

Turn after that we both unloaded. My last shield (#4 was toasted). My ship still had weapons and power. He had no internals left other than excess damage/damcon/sensor/scanner.

We both ended up making 2 HETS and both made our breakdown roll.

It was a tense close game and I was left with the impression that the Maesron vs. the WBS(11) was a pretty close match.

By Peter Bakija (Bakija) on Sunday, July 21, 2013 - 08:48 pm: Edit

Ken--thanks and fixed.

By Bill Schoeller (Bigbadbill) on Sunday, July 21, 2013 - 09:44 pm: Edit

BS beat kelnotic
He missed with all 4 photons

By Peter Bakija (Bakija) on Sunday, July 21, 2013 - 09:44 pm: Edit

That's gonna cost ya.

By Peter Bakija (Bakija) on Sunday, July 21, 2013 - 09:49 pm: Edit

Ok, as of 9:45ish, the following games are outstanding:

-AdmiralDZZI vs Laszlo. Anyone have any info?

-Scottish Engineer vs MaxSpeed: Info?

-Klenotic vs MaxSpeed: Info?

So three games are in outstanding limbo. If I don't hear from anyone, I'll assume that both players concede and award each player 1 point. If someone feels that they should get a win based on a non responsive opponent, please send me an e-mail as soon as possible.

I have marked Sheap as a no-show and awarded all of his opponents a win. Anyone hear from Sheap? Know where he is?

By Drew Klenotic (Tillek) on Sunday, July 21, 2013 - 10:08 pm: Edit

Well, got schooled by Admiral Bill (C&C of Star Fleet?)

Finally got in touch with MaxSpeed but he logged off before my game with BS complete so I'm guessing we won't have a chance to play before the deadline in 2-ish hours.

By Drew Klenotic (Tillek) on Sunday, July 21, 2013 - 10:50 pm: Edit

Klenotic vs. Maxspeed... My email to him was on 7/16 and I posted on the boards, to which I was told he'd be gone until tonight. I saw him in the chatroom and talked to him but I already had the game with BS scheduled. It was a short one, but he was gone by the time it ended. He sent me an email tonight saying he was free the next 3 days. I'm free the next 2. If there is an extension, we can play, otherwise..........

At any rate, that was the status of that game.

By Drew Klenotic (Tillek) on Sunday, July 21, 2013 - 10:51 pm: Edit

For the record, two of those photons were prox aimed at his Scatterpack......

Oh wait... that doesn't make it any better at all.... nevermind.

By Andy Vancil (Andy) on Monday, July 22, 2013 - 12:18 am: Edit

AdmiralDZZI vs. Laszlo - Dave offered to concede his game with me (see Tuesday's email) as RL issues made it difficult for him to get that scheduled.

By Peter Bakija (Bakija) on Monday, July 22, 2013 - 09:30 am: Edit

Andy--ok, yeah, I remember that now. Got it.

Drew--I'll give you the win on that one and MaxSpeed the 1 point in the name of moving things along.

Still don't know anything re: ScottishEngineer and MaxSpeed, but if I don't hear anything shortly, I'll give them both the 1 point default.

By Peter Bakija (Bakija) on Monday, July 22, 2013 - 10:05 am: Edit

Ok, as of right this second, I have all the matches accounted for, and the scores are:

-Team FYPSWWTW: 25
-Team Alien Demon Battallion: 21

-Orion Bikini Team: 19
-Team Three Stooges: 19
-Team Torpedo Triad: 19

-Team Illegal Aliens: 17
-Team Iron Mans Three: 13
-Team Three Wild and Crazy Guys: 12
-Team SWA: 10

So unless I got something wrong, we have a 3 way tie for 3rd and 4th seat. So gimme a bit and I'll figure out Strength of Victory tiebreakers (unless someone else wants to while I'm off doing something else...)

By Michael Kenyon (Mikek) on Monday, July 22, 2013 - 12:37 pm: Edit

Talked to MaxSpeed about 8pm last night. He was JUST in from a long flight, he'd been gone for the past week or so.

We had put in the first couple of turns (in the history somewhere). We'd both taken a little damage, He was on his second set of plasmas, and I was running out a known real S-torp a little while he was heading to the corner.

Not aware of the limit at the time we made it, we'd talked about continuing tonight, and we discussed the situation with him last night and he was not really capable of completing sentances accurately from jetlag, let alone flying a boat at the time.

He was slightly advantaged at the time, but I had a full load up.

By Peter Bakija (Bakija) on Monday, July 22, 2013 - 12:52 pm: Edit

I don't wanna come off like a crank, but I'm just going to go with what I got now (which is you both get 1 point with the game called on account of time) in the name of moving things along.

Next year, I'll probably invent a "Each player gets 2 points as a mutual concession" for time outs or something.

But for now, this is what we got. I'll figure out the tie breaker later on.

By Michael Kenyon (Mikek) on Monday, July 22, 2013 - 03:57 pm: Edit

No crank taken. Way too many games not to put a time-limit on it and I was gone two weeks of the period myself.

By Peter Bakija (Bakija) on Monday, July 22, 2013 - 05:14 pm: Edit

And conveniently, the Strength of Victory tie breaker worked out nice and neatly, and no need for SUDDEN DEATH!!! tie breakers.

With 4 Strength of Victory points, Team Three Stooges is the first place 19 point team.

With 3 Strength of Victory points, Team Orion Bikini Team is the second place 19 point team.

WIth 2 Strength of Victory points, Team Torpedo Triad is the third place 19 point team, and sadly loses out on the tie breaker.

So the final semi-final round brackets will be:

-Team FYPSWWTW vs The Orion Bikini Team
-Team Alien Demon Battallion vs Team Three Stooges

I'll post the match ups tomorrow. I'll again do my best to avoid (1st) civil war games, and (2nd) games where two players have already played this tournament.

Congrats to the advancing teams, and thanks to everyone for being nice and timely in getting games done!

By Brett W Johnson (Bjohnson) on Tuesday, July 23, 2013 - 08:49 am: Edit

Peter -

2pts each for timeout can be gamed... Person is losing (or strongly disadvantaged in RPS), so they "can't" find the time to finish... They thus get more pts than they would have for a loss.

Actually, best scenario is to set it up so that you get *more* points for losing than a timeout to encourage people to finish their games...

Example:
0pts no reasonable attempt to schedule game and/or no-show without excuse
1pt timeout (mutual unless clear offender)
2pts loss
3pts victory against a no-show (or timeout w/ clear offender)
4 pts victory

So if you have 2 people that can't get it together, they would each get 1 pt. If you have a scenario where 1 person is being a problem, the problem person gets 1pt and the other guy gets 3pts.

This also gives 1 more victory point to someone who fights and wins vs. someone who's opponent doesn't show up. Which, at least in my mind, is a good thing... Full credit for a "bye" in a patrol format is somewhat problematic...

Just a thought...
-brett

By Andrew J Koch (Droid) on Tuesday, July 23, 2013 - 09:17 am: Edit

so... according to your system Team Iron Mans would have 22 points. Hmmm... Peter, does the new points system that Brett proposes result in us advancing to the elimination round? If so let's implement it right away!

By Chris Proper (Duke) on Tuesday, July 23, 2013 - 11:04 am: Edit

Give the Judge's team a point for each unfinished game...

By Peter Bakija (Bakija) on Tuesday, July 23, 2013 - 12:46 pm: Edit

Brett wrote:
>>0pts no reasonable attempt to schedule game and/or no-show without excuse
1pt timeout (mutual unless clear offender)
2pts loss
3pts victory against a no-show (or timeout w/ clear offender)
4 pts victory >>

That isn't a bad plan.

I think, however, the the reality of the situation is that it is vastly more likely that two people will honestly be trying to arrange to play a game, but it not happen due to the vagaries of real life than it is that someone would try and use a 2 point time out to their advantage.

Although on the upside, having 1 point for a mutual time out and 2 points for a loss does encourage folks to resign in a losing position rather than drag the game out. Hmm.

By Ken Lin (Old_School) on Tuesday, July 23, 2013 - 02:19 pm: Edit

3 pts victory against a no-show
4 pts victory

Why would you want to penalize a player for his opponent no-showing? Something that is entirely out of his control?

By Drew Klenotic (Tillek) on Tuesday, July 23, 2013 - 02:53 pm: Edit

Ken, you're not really penalizing the player who gets the no-show win... you're NOT penalizing the player who actually had to fight and win for his victory.

Especially if the player who "shows up" is fighting a battle that most likely, they could never win. It shouldn't count the same as a hard-fought actual win.

By Peter Bakija (Bakija) on Tuesday, July 23, 2013 - 03:11 pm: Edit

The Semifinals page is now up (go to the World League home page and click on the "Semifinals" link). For convenience, the matchups are:

-Moose (WAX) vs AdmiralDZZI (ORI)
-The_Rock (GBS) vs captainron (ATC)
-Romwe (ORI) vs Old_School (LDR)

-Vendetta (GBS) vs MaxSpeed (GRN)
-BS (KLI) vs Devil (GBS)
-krieg (GRN) vs Laszlo (HYD)

Let's set a 3 week time frame for this round (everyone only needs to play 1 game), with a deadline of August 13th.

Notably, not a single playtest ship made it to the final brackets. Which either means that the playtest ships aren't that good, or the ringers all ignored the playtest ships.

By Brett W Johnson (Bjohnson) on Tuesday, July 23, 2013 - 03:29 pm: Edit

So, for clarification...

"No-Shows" can be for a variety of factors - which range from understandable/excusable to other extreme.

I was a "no-show" in a RAT, when my power unexpectedly died the morning of my game. I was able to get out an email via my work blackberry. My opponent then in turn was a "no-show" when he logged into the wrong server after the SFBOL upgrade.

The scale I provided assumed someone was a no-show, didn't have a valid excuse, didn't try to make up their game, etc.

You certainly make a valid point about "why penalize" - but the flip side is...

Why should a someone be given (full) points for a "victory" when in fact there was no battle (effectively a bye)?

In the limiting case (currently) a team who fights all no-shows currently has a maximum score... That seems wrong... (to me) A mechanism like this would help address it...

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation