Archive through September 09, 2013

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Star Fleet Battles: Star Fleet Battles Online: Tournaments: SFBOL World League 2: Archive through September 09, 2013
By Andy Vancil (Andy) on Tuesday, August 13, 2013 - 12:03 am: Edit

Laszlo (HYD) vs. krieg (GRN) got through two more turns.

Turn 3, I circle back and we close a bit. I have to turn out to keep him off my #1. At range 5 I fire 2xp1, as they might go out of arc. I launch fighters. He continues to close and at range 3 launches an F and fires 6xp1, rolling very well, doing 28, taking my #2 down to 1 box. My 3p1 do another 13. I slip out so that I don't eat the plasma on that shield, taking it on 3.32 for 13 on the #3 after a gat. He turns off to avoid getting close to the fighters.

Turn 4, he parks and launches a shotgun. My two fighters concentrate their fire on one torp, then use a speed change to get to range 6. So, he fires 2xp1 at the fighter that was targeted by the wounded plasma, and rolls snake eyes. The other fighter is at range 3 from my ship, so I tractor it and reel it in. (Had I had more power in tractor, I could have done that with both, but at the cost of taking more plasma damage on my ship.) I run the remaining two plasmas out a bit and gat them down. I then circle back, while he accelerates to -9. He starts sniping at my one-box #5, and rolls well, getting an internal after my reinforcement runs out. On 4.31, I hit range 8, and hit him with both HBs. He has too much reinforcement on his 2-box #4 -- it is stronger than his 8-box #1. I end up getting 6 internals through the #1.

The weird dice continue. I am 4/4 on range 5-8 HBs, but his p1s die rolls are averaging about 2. My shields are 1/1/5/22/0/20 - soon I will not need to power them. But, he has a down #1, a weak #4, and 16 internals.

By Ken Lin (Old_School) on Wednesday, August 14, 2013 - 09:14 pm: Edit

Old_School and Romwe got through 3 turns today,

We're at r1. The LDR has ~17 ints through the #4, including a Gat and a ESG. The ORI has no shield damage but has lost 8 power due to burn (repaired 1, so down 7). To be continued...

By Andy Vancil (Andy) on Wednesday, August 14, 2013 - 11:42 pm: Edit

Laszlo (HYD) vs. krieg (GRN) got through two more turns.

Turn 5, he stops to end his retrograde, and then does 10/9/10. He launches his shuttles. I pull out of range 8. He HETs around and snipes at my down shield, but his phaser dice have gone cold compared to last session; 4 p1s miss at 9-15. I circle around, and launch the fighter on 5.24. No plasma seen.

Turn 6, he stops again, before going back up to 10/9/10. I start out at 14, turn in, and increase to 20. He launches a 30, then another 30 from the same tube. I reach range 8, and hit him with both HBs. I find a bunch of reinforcement, and his #1 and #4 hold at one box each. I then HET away from the plasma. This kind of leaves my fighter hung out to dry, and over the remainder of the turn, he fires 4 p1s and 5 p3s at it, racking up 9 damage total. I hit the lead plasma with 7xp3 and discover it is the fake, so I hit the real one with 4xp3 and 2xp1, rolling well. It hits for 1 point at range 16. We end at range 9.

I am 6 for 6 on range 5-8 HBs. Of course, my HBs only miss at close range. But it's hard to get close when you only have 49 shield boxes left.

By Peter Bakija (Bakija) on Thursday, August 15, 2013 - 09:28 am: Edit

Thanks for the updates!

By Peter Bakija (Bakija) on Thursday, August 15, 2013 - 09:31 am: Edit

That being said, we are past the deadline I was hoping for.

So far, 2 games are done (Paul vs Ron; Bill vs Majead).

Ken/Brian and Andy/Clayton are both well underway.

I haven't heard anything re the other two games. Updates?

By Peter Bakija (Bakija) on Monday, August 19, 2013 - 01:44 pm: Edit

Hey--any updates? We are over a week past deadline for the semi-final round, and there are 2 done games, 2 underway games, and 2 games that I know nothing about. I'd *really* like this event to not devolve into "I dunno. Maybe we'll finish one day..." if we could.

By Stephen McCann (Moose) on Monday, August 19, 2013 - 02:19 pm: Edit

Dave and I had a couple of really busy weeks, but we will try to scehdule and play our game this week. (Unless Brian and Ken make it pointless by Brian winning :) )

By Ken Lin (Old_School) on Monday, August 19, 2013 - 03:42 pm: Edit

Brian and Ken are continuing tomorrow 6:30.

By Clayton Krueger (Krieg) on Monday, August 19, 2013 - 06:28 pm: Edit

Andy and I are in the 10th turn, and the game is still up for grabs, but we both have so much damage that it won't last much longer. Unfortunately Andy is unavailable this week. So probably early next week we'll have a result.

By Andy Vancil (Andy) on Tuesday, August 20, 2013 - 03:36 am: Edit

I've sent my concession email. After some consideration, I've come to the unfortunate conclusion that my situation is hopeless. But it was a fun and interesting game.

To recap:

Turn 7, he launches a EPT at me. With only 47 shield boxes left, I either ED and weasel or run it out to 21 and pour all my phasers into it. I choose the latter, hoping to keep my maneuver options. He finishes off my crippled fighter and kind of follows me, keeping me off his #1.

Turn 8, he only has a plasma-F and a fastload, so I come in and hit him with phasers and HBs, doing a dozen internals. He hits me with both torps (different shields, one gat on each) and some phasers, doing 15 internals to me on 3 volleys, getting a couple p1s but no HB or fusions. I'm now down to 18 shield boxes.

Turn 9, he has only a fastload, so I try to set up some good position for turn 10, but his shuttle swarm complicates my maneuver. He gets 3 more internals on me with p1 shots. I am forced to use my firepower on his shuttle squadron, and ED and weasel his fastload. He comes into range 3, on a down shield, so I launch another weasel.

Turn 10, he parks at range 3. He fires through the shift, getting 8 internals on me. I activate FC. He launches his plasma-F. I hit him with OL HBs, but find a lot of reinforcement. Still, they down 3 shields and do 18 internals, including a 2nd torp hit and some p1s. He does another 8 internals to me, finally getting a HB. I put a gat into the torp and take it on my #4 for no internals.

But now I'm down to 2 shield boxes remaining, both on my #1. His remaining shuttle shoots me, taking out my last p1 along with a p-g.

So, my shields are 2/0/0/0/0/0, while his are 0/18/4/0/0/15. I have 29 power, a HB, 4 fusions and a gat. He has 25 power, 2 plasma-S, a plasma-F and 3 p1s. It almost looks like a battle, but the sad fact is, I won't be in good enough position to hurt him turn 11. Had I maneuvered a little differently, I could really hurt him with fusions, but I would actually end turn 10 at range 4. I could probably survive turn 11 with reinforcement and my last two WWs, but not do anything to him, and I would die to his EPT on turn 12. Or, I could go Ranger on him and maybe get to 0 with a couple fusion beams left, and make his ship look messier before he blew me up.

It almost looks worth playing out, but not quite. I hit 10/10 with HBs, but in the end, took too much damage early on without inflicting significant hurt. So, good game, Clay, and congrats to Team Alien Demon Battalion on advancing.

By Andrew J Koch (Droid) on Tuesday, August 20, 2013 - 08:32 am: Edit

It's always tough to raise the white flag with a good front shield like that.

By Peter Bakija (Bakija) on Tuesday, August 20, 2013 - 12:37 pm: Edit

Ok, thanks for the updates!

So Team ADB advances. Congrats! The last game between Vendetta and MaxSpeed is irrelevant, but if you guys wanna play, feel free.

So the Brian and Ken game could call the other match, but just in case, but are Steve and Dave in communication, just in case?

By Brian Evans (Romwe) on Tuesday, August 20, 2013 - 07:53 pm: Edit

Old_School over Romwe in 5 turns. After 3 turns of alternating chase, we parked, and the LDR shot a huge hole in me. Much bigger than the one I put in him. Good game Ken!

By Ken Lin (Old_School) on Tuesday, August 20, 2013 - 07:58 pm: Edit

Good game Brian! I got fortunate 2 turns in a row. T3 from last session, I was pinned against the wall with a WW out for protection, and Brian took a r0 shot through the weasel shift on my #4 - 19 internals killed 1 (but not both) Gats. T4, I tacced around and fired the r1 alpha on passive, and hit 4/4 OLs (lucky!). Hit a 20 point brick but still did 38 internals, going through the shuttle bay and deep into the phasers along the '7' row. Exciting game!

By Peter Bakija (Bakija) on Tuesday, August 20, 2013 - 08:13 pm: Edit

Exciting! So that means the Dave/Steve game is important and needs to happen.

By Stephen McCann (Moose) on Tuesday, August 20, 2013 - 08:30 pm: Edit

Yep, e-mailing Dave right now to set it up. I am free pretty much for the next 5 days at any time, so hopefully we will manage to knock it out quickly.

By Ken Lin (Old_School) on Tuesday, August 20, 2013 - 10:26 pm: Edit

When the judge says "Exciting!" It means "Yay, it's almost over!" In advance I'll say, thanks Peter for running the event so the rest of us could have a good time.

By Stephen McCann (Moose) on Saturday, August 24, 2013 - 09:17 pm: Edit

Dve and I will be playing our match at 4 pm tomorrow afternoon.

By Stephen McCann (Moose) on Monday, August 26, 2013 - 12:45 pm: Edit

Moose vs AdmiralDZZI played through 3 turns yesterday. Pretty even match so far. I have a 2 box #4 and 2-3 damage to each of my other shields from HBs. I am down 4 power, but he also got 3 of my p-1s and all of my p-3s. At the end of turn 3 I repaired 2 boxes on the #4 and my 2 360 degree p-3s.
Dave has a down #2, and is also down 7 power. He lost 2 or 3 p-3s and a p-1 as well as his drone rack.
We ended turn 3 about 14 hexes apart. Action to resume as soon as possible.

By Peter Bakija (Bakija) on Friday, August 30, 2013 - 03:28 pm: Edit

Excellent! Thanks for the update.

And Steve, we gotta play that game, again, for Platinum Hat now :-)

By Stephen McCann (Moose) on Saturday, August 31, 2013 - 01:50 pm: Edit

Dave and I are in contact trying to figure out when we can play. We will get it done as soon as possible.

By Peter Bakija (Bakija) on Sunday, September 08, 2013 - 08:29 pm: Edit

Moose (WAX) vs AdmiralDZZI (ORI) is playing currently (they just started EA T5). So we are close!

By Stephen McCann (Moose) on Sunday, September 08, 2013 - 11:11 pm: Edit

Dave conceeded due to an ea error. No real way to fix it unfortunately.

By Peter Bakija (Bakija) on Monday, September 09, 2013 - 07:30 am: Edit

So the final round is Team FSWSJKKJDHKJDH vs Team ADB!

I'll set up a tree when I get home.

By Peter Bakija (Bakija) on Monday, September 09, 2013 - 04:52 pm: Edit

Ok, we got a final tree:

Team ADB vs Team FYPSWWTW

krieg (GRN) vs The_Rock (GBS bb)
BS (KLI) vs Romwe (ORI FgF1f/HgHbb)
Vendetta (GBS bb) vs Moose (WAX 11g1)

It's all up on the main website.

I'll point out that these were the top two teams from the round robin phase of the tournament, and essentially the exact same teams that were in the finals last year (one player is different).

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation