Archive through October 30, 2013

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Star Fleet Battles: Star Fleet Battles Online: Tournaments: SFBOL World League 2: Archive through October 30, 2013
By Peter Bakija (Bakija) on Tuesday, September 10, 2013 - 04:57 pm: Edit

It is also probably worth noting that not a single playtest ship made it to the finals.

I don't know if this is because:

A) The playtest ships were all bad.

or

B) The ringers specifically didn't take any playtest ships.

But in either case, worth noting.

From my experience:

The Peladine is very hard to do well with, from a conceptual stand point--it only has G and F torps and P2s (and the two drone racks). So it can't really play a game at any range other than "I'm tractoring you and trying to kill you with all my seeking weapons and short ranged phasers". Which is hard to pull off, in the best of situations. Especially if that is the only game you got, and your opponent knows it. I don't know what could make the Peladine more viable. If you give it a pair of S torps (so it has 2xS, 2xF, 2x drone rack, and all those P2s), it is probably way too good. Without S torps, the plasma threat is really only threatening as an anchor (see above). The drones (only 2 racks) are, at best, a minot nuisance, and again, really only good for the anchor attack. The forrest of P2s seems scary, but you generally lose a few for point defense, and outside of R3, they aren't hurting anyone anyway. I have no idea what would work to try and make the ship more viable and have it still look like the "historical" ship.

The FRAXs didn't seem to do to well--anyone have any FRAX experience to share?

The Maesrons also didn't seem to do so well. I know it has been discussed over in the Omega TC discussion, though.

By Andy Vancil (Andy) on Wednesday, September 11, 2013 - 01:53 pm: Edit

I think the Frax is a pretty strong ship, but it flies differently than other D&D ships. There are some counter-intuitive things to learn, like the fact that your #1 shield is the best one to lose first. You also have to be very good at using all of your shields. I would gladly take it in the next JFF tourney.

By Matthew Potter (Neonpico) on Wednesday, September 11, 2013 - 02:21 pm: Edit

My experience with the FRAX is that while you need to use every shield to soak up damage, it is particularly easy to do. The opening moves tend to be a little different for the FRAX, and the drone racks are as useful as they are for the WBS(11) (as in, only for some drone defense and otherwise not at all). In my opinion, it is reasonably effective against BP and D&D, but falls down against crunch ships and hellbores. Like the Klingon, I find it is a dancing ship; using it's beautiful arcs to spiral around the oppponent (or simply doing stern chases) and dipping into range-8 for overloads and PH-1 shots. I consider the PH-1s to be it's primary weapons.

By Ken Kazinski (Kjkazinski) on Wednesday, September 11, 2013 - 06:48 pm: Edit

Andy,

At Council of Nations this year the Frax is being used. Going to make an appearance? :)

By Andy Vancil (Andy) on Thursday, September 12, 2013 - 02:11 am: Edit

It's tempting, but at $1200+ to do the trip, not that tempting. I need a tourney within driving distance. Say, in Amarillo.

By Andrew J Koch (Droid) on Thursday, September 12, 2013 - 09:23 am: Edit

Frax eh? Hmm.

By Ken Kazinski (Kjkazinski) on Thursday, September 12, 2013 - 06:26 pm: Edit

Andrew,

In response to demand for some variety and experimentation, we will be allowing the following ships into the tournament field:
* Maeseron TC, as currently available on SFBOL
* Frax TC, as currently available on SFBOL
* Current playtest Andromedan,
* The Villa-class Fast Federation (3 Photons, 7 Ph1. SSD will be posted.

By Peter Bakija (Bakija) on Monday, September 16, 2013 - 11:50 am: Edit

So hey! Final Tree! Again!

Team ADB vs Team FYPSWWTW

krieg (GRN) vs The_Rock (GBS bb)
BS (KLI) vs Romwe (ORI FgF1f/HgHbb)
Vendetta (GBS bb) vs Moose (WAX 11g1)

Please check in so I know people have seen this and are paying attention!

By Paul Scott (The_Rock) on Monday, September 16, 2013 - 12:21 pm: Edit

I am in discussion the krieg on scheduling our game.

By Peter Bakija (Bakija) on Tuesday, September 17, 2013 - 11:35 am: Edit

That's one! How about the other two games?

By Paul Scott (The_Rock) on Wednesday, September 18, 2013 - 10:33 am: Edit

The_Rock over Krieg.

Basically a bunch of maneuvering and little shield scrapes with a smattering of internals until I got to range 1, launched a bunch of seekers and hit him with OLDS+phasers. He had 50 on board and after my range 1 launch I was down to 1 drone left on my ship. Had he been able to hit a down shield with the 50, there would have been a game left of it, but my fatty got through and killed his last tractor, leaving him with the option to hit my full #1 or not hit anything (since I had 2 WW and if he let me move to Range 2 I would have been able to decel and WW any launch). 20 internals was not going to cut it, so Krieg resigned.

By Peter Bakija (Bakija) on Wednesday, September 18, 2013 - 04:19 pm: Edit

Well, that's one!

Thanks for getting that done, guys. Anyone else anywhere on their games?

By Stephen McCann (Moose) on Wednesday, September 18, 2013 - 07:41 pm: Edit

E-mail sent to Jon, awaiting a reply.

By Peter Bakija (Bakija) on Monday, September 23, 2013 - 07:43 am: Edit

Well, I'm glad we got *that* message!

In any case, anyone hear from Jon/Vendetta recently?

And any news from Bill/Brian?

By Bill Schoeller (Bigbadbill) on Monday, September 23, 2013 - 07:16 pm: Edit

I started the finals in RAT40 against Paul yesterday, and have a match with Moose on Wednesday for the latest RAT.

I will schedule my match with Brian when thiose 2 are complete.

By Peter Bakija (Bakija) on Monday, September 23, 2013 - 07:27 pm: Edit

Well, lemme see if I hear back from Jon. It might not be necessary.

By Stephen McCann (Moose) on Tuesday, September 24, 2013 - 08:05 am: Edit

Jon is on vacation in Hawaii until next week. I heard from him today. We will try to schedule our game for next weekend when he is back.

By Peter Bakija (Bakija) on Tuesday, September 24, 2013 - 08:46 am: Edit

Yeah, I heard from Jon. He is stuck in the rough situation of being in Hawaii. Man. Life.

So that will happen!

By Peter Bakija (Bakija) on Tuesday, October 08, 2013 - 08:38 am: Edit

Any updates?

By Stephen McCann (Moose) on Tuesday, October 08, 2013 - 09:21 am: Edit

Have not heard back from Jon. Will e-mail him again today.

By Peter Bakija (Bakija) on Tuesday, October 08, 2013 - 06:18 pm: Edit

Ok, thanks!

By Stephen McCann (Moose) on Tuesday, October 22, 2013 - 04:44 pm: Edit

Emailed Jon again last Friday with no reply.

By Peter Bakija (Bakija) on Tuesday, October 22, 2013 - 09:17 pm: Edit

Hrm. Maybe Bill and Brian will play a game soon?

By Peter Bakija (Bakija) on Wednesday, October 30, 2013 - 07:57 pm: Edit

I'm becoming despondent. Someone do something.

By Stephen McCann (Moose) on Wednesday, October 30, 2013 - 08:09 pm: Edit

I have emailed Jon multiple times now without any reply. Not sure what else I can do.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation