Archive through March 31, 2014

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Star Fleet Battles: Star Fleet Battles Online: Tournaments: SFBOL World League 2: Archive through March 31, 2014
By Peter Bakija (Bakija) on Wednesday, October 30, 2013 - 08:27 pm: Edit

Nothing at all. Soon I'll determine that he is MIA and make you win. But I'm hoping Bill and Brian will play a game first.

By Peter Bakija (Bakija) on Tuesday, November 05, 2013 - 05:41 pm: Edit

E-mail sent to Jon. If he doesn't respond in a couple days, I'll assume he is out and mark him as lost and that will end the event. If he does respond with a "I'm gonna play!", I'll give it a bit of time and maybe he and Steve can make something happen.

Disappointed.

By Stephen McCann (Moose) on Tuesday, November 05, 2013 - 08:38 pm: Edit

Me too, would like to play the game. If Jon does get back to you I will make myself available as much as possible to get the game played.

By Brian Evans (Romwe) on Monday, November 11, 2013 - 10:10 pm: Edit

BS over Romwe in 3 turns. Bill played a great game! Looks like we need the last game to determine the championship.

By Andrew J Koch (Droid) on Tuesday, November 12, 2013 - 08:55 am: Edit

The Team with the Incredible Disappearing Player has had to continue with that handicap in the past. ie if no Jon, then his opponent gets an extra point and advances. It's happened to me twice. I am somewhat of an expert.

By Peter Bakija (Bakija) on Tuesday, November 12, 2013 - 04:13 pm: Edit

And with that, that is it. Congrats to Team FYPSWWTW for victory in World League 2013.

I was hoping that the Bill/Brian game would have given us a decisive victory, but as that left the teams tied 1-1, I had to call the Jon/Steve game with Steve winning, as Jon has been MIA for months, and hasn't responded to any e-mails in the last couple weeks. So, well, that's that.

Thanks guys for getting that last game done!

By Andrew J Koch (Droid) on Tuesday, November 12, 2013 - 04:37 pm: Edit

Nice Job Brian, Paul and Bill!
Team Iron Mans Three will rise from the ashes next year and maybe do better! Like not flying little weenie conjectural ships for starters.

By Peter Bakija (Bakija) on Tuesday, November 12, 2013 - 04:46 pm: Edit

Man. We blew chunks.

It is likely worth noting that of the top 4 teams, not a single one of them had a playtest ship being used. The playtest ships managed to get soundly mangled--the Maesron went 1-5; the FRAX went 1-5; the Andro went 1-2 (1-5 if you count the 3 games that didn't happen, presumably due to the Andro player being so pre-emtively demoralized that he didn't even bother to try…); the Peladine went 1-2.

I dunno if it is 'cause those ships are specifically bad (I think the Peladine is specifically bad; I think the Andro is almost good but needs 2 extra power at the very least; I think the Maesron is perfectly reasonable; I don't know what to think about the FRAX) or 'cause people didn't have practice with them or what. But, well, clearly the key to doing well is not to take mostly untested playtest ships.

By Chris Proper (Duke) on Tuesday, November 12, 2013 - 06:29 pm: Edit

Well, the one Maesron victory came against me when I thought it was the Peladine.

By Andrew J Koch (Droid) on Tuesday, November 12, 2013 - 07:21 pm: Edit

I n the case of the Frax, I sucked. The ship is better than 1-5

By Peter Bakija (Bakija) on Tuesday, November 12, 2013 - 07:24 pm: Edit

It seems like it should be ok. It has the same guns as the 8xP1 Shark. Well, ok, 1 less P3. With worse arcs. And the 8xP1 Shark is generally regarded as the worst Shark. But still. Seems like it should be ok.

By Paul Scott (The_Rock) on Tuesday, November 12, 2013 - 10:22 pm: Edit

Yeah us, I guess. Would like to have actually won, rather than defaulted to win.

Peter,
Most of the playtest ships are bad to terrible. That generated our name, actually.

The Andro and Peladine are terrible, though both are close to balanced in terms of what you would need to do. 2 Static power would probably do it for the Andro. I think changing 2 p-2s to p-1s or to drone-racks (then need 2x control) would do it for the Pel. But both are going to loose most of their games as they stand now.

The Frax is deceptively bad.

1. the 2 drone GBS is really not more than an average ship; and

2. the Frax has just enough problems added to it (worse phasers, worse shielding, better, but harder to deploy heavy weapon arcs) that it pushes it over from average to weak.

I agree with you on the Maesron, to an extent. It was the best of the playtest bunch, but it too has some non-obvious weaknesses that are easy to exploit.

1. It really does not have a reserve-power system, because it needs it's batteries to make its heavy-weapons useable. This is a very big deal.

2. Even forgetting 1, it is power hungry after turn 1.

3. Its version of the drone is really much weaker than alpha drones. Like the TBs, they look good on paper, but are really quite easy to deal with.

By Andy Vancil (Andy) on Tuesday, November 12, 2013 - 11:22 pm: Edit

I think the Frax is decent, but deceptively hard to play. It seems easy - disruptors, drones, wide arcs - but it really flies differently than a lot of ships. For example, the shield you want to lose first is the #1. You've got to nail the maneuver to bring all six shields into play. If you fly it like a GBS-11, it will not do as well as a GBS-11. If you fly it correctly, it will do a little better.

By Matthew Potter (Neonpico) on Wednesday, November 13, 2013 - 03:31 am: Edit

My experiences with the Frax, is that you really have to use every shield (and it's easier to do so than with most ships). However, you will not stand up to other ships when trading alphas because your alpha strike is coming through one of your weaker shields. However, I've found the wide arcs to be a blessing, in that you almost always have a shot and that you can usually manage to tag a flank shield if you decide it's important.

By Peter Bakija (Bakija) on Wednesday, November 13, 2013 - 09:50 am: Edit

Yeah, having played the Andro where I died in 5 turns with my opponent not firing a single weapon at me all game (just drone launches, only 1 of which hit me; I broke down on my 3rd HET…), it does really need some extra power. Currently, it is just too easy to starve it out of power by just chasing it around with some reinforcement up, using seeking weapons to affect movement or the shot it can take, and wait till it either fails an important die roll on a 6 or it gets caught in a corner so you can mug it with phasers on impulse 32 and then whatever else you got on impulse 1.

The Peladine is, at press time, just not viable--the only reasonable plan it has is a suicide anchor attack (2xG toro, 2xF toro, 2x drone, P2s), and that is easy to avoid if you know it is coming. And if you are fighting the Peladine, you know it is coming.

The FRAX seems like, as noted, it is the 8xP1 Shark. With 1 fewer P3 in worse arcs. And the weird main gun arcs (does it have dual shuttle bays? I don't think it does either). So take the worst version of the Shark, make it a little less good equipment wise, and then addle it with the weird arcs. It looks like it might have promise, but seems difficult.

By Andrew J Koch (Droid) on Wednesday, November 13, 2013 - 10:09 am: Edit

it has 2 shuttle bays

By Andrew J Koch (Droid) on Wednesday, November 13, 2013 - 10:19 am: Edit

It has an advantage in that if you are chasing it (Frax) it can shoot your face off without too much trouble. Just with the phasers. It really is not that bad.

By Brian Evans (Romwe) on Wednesday, November 13, 2013 - 04:46 pm: Edit

Having flown the Andro a few times recently(practice & masters), I'm in agreement that it could use a couple static power. It's not capable of powering itself, without help from it's opponent, and everyone has started to figure that out.

By Peter Bakija (Bakija) on Wednesday, November 13, 2013 - 04:55 pm: Edit

Currently, the Andro has, what, 28 power?

If it pays:
-1 for LS
-1 for AFC
-5 for PA Panels
-6 for 2xTRH
-1 to hold the dis dev

That leaves is 14 power, enough to move 21 hexes a turn indefinitely. Which isn't fast enough for the ship to survive on a regular basis. And without rearming phasers and increasing the PA panels to reinforced. Or rearming the dis-dev.

+2 APR is likely the good starting point, as most folks seem to agree.

By Andrew J Koch (Droid) on Wednesday, November 13, 2013 - 06:02 pm: Edit

Well, let's do it. Add 2 power to the Andro.

By Paul Scott (The_Rock) on Wednesday, November 13, 2013 - 06:58 pm: Edit

Not up to us.

By Andrew J Koch (Droid) on Wednesday, November 13, 2013 - 07:01 pm: Edit

lets pretend?

By Paul Scott (The_Rock) on Wednesday, November 13, 2013 - 11:14 pm: Edit

Well, if we are going to pretend, I'll go and pretend all the way back to my first suggestion - return it to its 1998 form but give it 2 batteries instead of 6.

I think this is basically where the ship is headed, but since it started with 3 batteries, its power will end up at 1999 or 2000 levels.

I'd like it to get there as fast as possible, so sure, I would add 2 AWR now or really, I'd add 2 AWR and 2 Imp., because I think if you want it to be a good ship that is where it will need to be. If you want bad, but playable, 2 AWR should do the trick.

By Andrew J Koch (Droid) on Thursday, November 14, 2013 - 12:42 pm: Edit

I suggest we try 2 power first. Can we change the ssd online or do we just fudge it during games IE spend 2 extra power?

By Josh Driscol (Gfb) on Monday, March 31, 2014 - 07:53 pm: Edit

Are we having world league this year?

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation