Archive through May 11, 2014

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Star Fleet Battles: Star Fleet Battles Online: Tournaments: SFBOL World League 2: Archive through May 11, 2014
By Matthew Potter (Neonpico) on Thursday, May 08, 2014 - 02:08 pm: Edit

I have put together a Carnivon TCC and even played it a few times with Josh. But since the troubles with the 3G SSDs, Paul Franz has been (understandably) leery about putting it in the client. So it hasn't had any widespread play.

The SSD I put together, I've discussed before: Start with a Carnivon CC. Make the shields 30/30/24/24/24/24/30. Replace the Flag Bridge with a battery (brings it up to 5 Batts). Give it the DERFACS refit and the Y175 refit.

I had a big tactics discussion on the Carnivon, based on my experience with it. But this isn't the place for it. Particularly if it isn't going to be included anyways.

On another note; Josh's CL28 Paravian is in the client. I have my ModC6 Paravian submitted to Paul. It is waiting for him to have some time for SFBOL.

The Paravian SSD I put together is a vanilla CC, with the APR refit, and shields set to 30/30/24/24/24/30.

By Josh Driscol (Gfb) on Thursday, May 08, 2014 - 03:59 pm: Edit

I recommend against using the Paravin TC I made its just not well balanced, needs adjustment and more playtest before I would even consider it.

By Peter Bakija (Bakija) on Thursday, May 08, 2014 - 04:22 pm: Edit

Ah, fair assessment. I have no experience with it and only have looked at modern Paravians on paper.

I'm gonna go with the Andro and the FRAX as playtest ships available for folks who want to use them.

By Peter Bakija (Bakija) on Thursday, May 08, 2014 - 06:42 pm: Edit

And my current plan is to do a draft system for teams.

My hope is to have the exact right number of teams (which at press time I don't exactly remember--is it 8 or 9?) of 3 people each.

I'll take sign ups. Once we hit the right number of players, I'll select the correct number of captains based on scientific methods (which will be something like "Everyone Who Is A Fleet Captain followed by Known Ringers With High SFBOL Ratings Until We Hit The Right Number of Team Captains"). We will then pick teams in a round robin style draft. I'll probably use the A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, H, G, F, E, D, C, B, A draft method. Then we'll have teams of 3 each.

The only thing I'm unsure of is should players pick their ships *before* the draft, or after the teams are selected. Opinions?

By Matthew Potter (Neonpico) on Thursday, May 08, 2014 - 08:10 pm: Edit

I vote: Pick ships after the draft.

By Andrew J Koch (Droid) on Thursday, May 08, 2014 - 11:17 pm: Edit

Pick ships after teams are formed says I

By Majead Farsi (Devil) on Friday, May 09, 2014 - 03:11 am: Edit

Pick ships after teams are formed. Break ships into 3 categories and then 1 ship has to be chosen from each one!

By Andrew J Koch (Droid) on Friday, May 09, 2014 - 09:06 am: Edit

Make the tourney all War Eagles!

By Ron Brimeyer (Captainron) on Friday, May 09, 2014 - 01:01 pm: Edit

Rank the ships top to bottom. (Paul or Bill could do this) Team Captains can only pick from bottom 1/3 of list. 2nd player from bottom 2/3. Lowest ranked player on each team may take any ship.

Just a thought.

By Andrew J Koch (Droid) on Friday, May 09, 2014 - 01:12 pm: Edit

My head hurts now.

By Stephen McCann (Moose) on Friday, May 09, 2014 - 02:06 pm: Edit

The more complicated you make it the less interested in the league I am. Deliberately crippling better players with lousy ships will just help ensure that many of those players will not play in the event.
I am not particularly enamored of the draft format either, but I can see that is obviously the way things are trending, so I will just have to accept that :)

By Chris Proper (Duke) on Friday, May 09, 2014 - 10:20 pm: Edit

Get Marcus and Brookie to come back and we'll let you draft them.

By Peter Bakija (Bakija) on Friday, May 09, 2014 - 10:33 pm: Edit

Yeah, I'm not gonna do anything clever with ship selections.

We are going to draft teams, as, well, that could be fun and shake things up a bit. And really, I suspect a lot of teams will probably end up looking about the same anyway (although Fleet Captains will end up being spread around more). We'll pick ships after teams are built. I'm not gonna hinder folks' ability to pick ships.

We'll use the FRAX (as it is probably a totally reasonable ship) and the current playtest Andro as playtest possibilities. And we'll go from there.

By Brendan Lally (Tartan_Army) on Friday, May 09, 2014 - 10:56 pm: Edit

i'm in when this starts up

By Paul Scott (The_Rock) on Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 03:19 am: Edit

My opinion is coterminus with Steve's. I'll play regardless, but my top preference is just like it has been in prior years. Like Steve said, since a draft is where this is headed, at least keep it simple. I'll miss my team.

By David Zimdars (Zimdarsdavid) on Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 12:04 pm: Edit

I'd like to play. Totally flexible.

By Matthew Potter (Neonpico) on Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 12:29 pm: Edit

I'm pretty sure I can shake loose the time to play. I'm in.

By Ken Rotar (Sir_Krotar) on Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 02:42 pm: Edit

I'll be in--and I really like the draft plan.

By Brian Evans (Romwe) on Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 10:14 pm: Edit

I'll be in. I liked my team as well, but will play whatever the format.

By Ron Brimeyer (Captainron) on Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 10:29 pm: Edit

I will play.

By Andrew J Koch (Droid) on Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 10:54 am: Edit

I am in. I liked my team too but I can certainly see where it might be a nice change to spread the talent more evenly. I just hope I don't get picked last.

By Peter Bakija (Bakija) on Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 11:06 am: Edit

Ok, so here is the official start of this:

World League 2014! Starts now!

If you have no idea what World League is, but are interested, click on the World League 2013 link at the top of the page, and you can find all the information about how the tournament works (short version--teams of 3 players, each player plays a standard tournament game vs 3 different opponents, best teams advance to single elimination tree).

I don't know off hand how many teams there will be yet. As I gotta do the math and see what works. I'll announce the optimal number of teams and players shortly. But people can start signing up now.

We will be using a draft system--once I know how many players we have, need, and how many teams there will be, I will assign Team Captains. Fleet Captains will automatically be Team Captains. If I need more, I'll use science to determine who the other Captains are. We will then have a draft of the remaining players. The draft will happen via e-mail (for efficiency as well as not making Andy feel sad if he is picked last), and then teams will be announced. Once you have a team, you can select ships (standard, sanctioned TCs *plus* current playtest Andro and FRAX). Once I have teams and ships, I'll make an initial pool and we'll go from there.

To sign up, do the following:

SEND ME AN E-MAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(caps for shouting, not emphasis…)

pdb6 @ lightlink. com

Send me an e-mail that has as a subject line "World League". And in the body of the e-mail, say "I want to play in World League" or something like that.

So for the sake of clarity. SEND ME AN E-MAIL. Just, ya know, making that clear. An e-mail. Send it to me.

I'd like to think that 2 weeks will be long enough to take signups, but when I figure out the optimal number of players and teams shortly, I'll post that and see how it goes.

By Paul Franz (Andromedan) on Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 02:39 pm: Edit

Peter,
I have sent you an test Email for the announcement of the tournament. Please tell me if you want me to change anything including the dead line.

By Paul Franz (Andromedan) on Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 03:04 pm: Edit

Looked good. All active SFB subscribers should be receiving an Email shortly.

By Peter Bakija (Bakija) on Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 03:29 pm: Edit

Something dumb I forgot and just remembered:

Please put your SFBOL callsign in your e-mail.

If you already sent an e-mail, don't worry about it. But if you haven't, please send your callsign. Otherwise, I'll send you an e-mail asking for your callsign.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation