Archive through June 19, 2014

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Star Fleet Battles: Star Fleet Battles Online: Tournaments: SFBOL World League 2: Archive through June 19, 2014
By Peter Bakija (Bakija) on Wednesday, June 11, 2014 - 08:05 am: Edit

Ok, so I'm going to assume all is good, and here is the pool!

We have 2 months from today to get 3 games done each.

Deadline for playing games is Monday, August 11th at midnight. Please contact your opponents and begin arranging games. As per previous precedent, if you and your opponent are in communication and you just can't manage to get a game played by the deadline, you'll both get a point for trying.

Team Captains: Please e-mail your team alerting them to the pool (if you e-mailed them a link to the page, that would be aces!). I don't know that everyone is paying that close attention. My suggestion is that Team Captains encourage/manage their team to get their games done.

As noted in the rules somewhere, there is no one official judge (we are kind of an autonomous collective…). There are enough people who know what is going on so that if you guys have a rules dispute or need judging, shoot me an e-mail, and if it is something I can resolve and doesn't directly affect my team, I'll get a ruling made either by myself or with aid from someone else. If it does directly affect my team, I'll forward the issue to a couple other people to figure out.

By Andrew J Koch (Droid) on Wednesday, June 11, 2014 - 09:18 am: Edit

We are the Borg.

By Peter Bakija (Bakija) on Wednesday, June 11, 2014 - 10:09 am: Edit

And as already has happened, it is possible that the call signs on the pool chart in incorrectly capitalized one way or the other. And the player locator is case sensitive. Which might be a problem (i.e. someone was looking for Krieg and couldn't find them, as they are actually krieg). So if you are having trouble finding someone using the player locator, try changing the capitalization of the first letter.

I'll try and fix the chart later today.

By Chris Proper (Duke) on Wednesday, June 11, 2014 - 10:26 am: Edit

It may not be necessary to cc Peter on all correspondence. We ain't playing for money.

By Peter Bakija (Bakija) on Wednesday, June 11, 2014 - 01:58 pm: Edit

Yes. Please. That is not necessary. I don't need to see all correspondence. But I do need people to e-mail me when they win or lose a game. And if people could post here, either short victory notices or longer ones if you are inclined, that is good too.

By Paul Scott (The_Rock) on Wednesday, June 11, 2014 - 02:19 pm: Edit

Too late! But I will avoid in the future.

By Peter Bakija (Bakija) on Wednesday, June 11, 2014 - 03:55 pm: Edit

Heh--not a problem. Bonus points for being on top of things!

By David Cheng (Davec) on Wednesday, June 11, 2014 - 10:00 pm: Edit

Rigley gets matched up against me?
SWA fratricide!
;-)

By Paul Scott (The_Rock) on Monday, June 16, 2014 - 02:48 pm: Edit

An all SFBOL day for me. :)

Did RAT42 this morning. And have 2 WL games scheduled today (John and Scott). 3PM and 8PM are our scheduled times today (Pacific).

By Peter Bakija (Bakija) on Monday, June 16, 2014 - 04:11 pm: Edit

Go man, go!

By Paul Scott (The_Rock) on Monday, June 16, 2014 - 08:34 pm: Edit

One game today put off to tomorrow (John) at 3 Pacific.

By scott moellmer (Goofy) on Monday, June 16, 2014 - 09:18 pm: Edit

===
As far as i know, Paul and i are playing Tues, 9 pm my time?
Have contacted other 2 WL foes, still tryin to find
any time that will work mutually.

By scott moellmer (Goofy) on Monday, June 16, 2014 - 09:22 pm: Edit

===
Duh, i emailed PS to say Mon the 17th, meaning Tues.
But will try and be there tonite if can.

By scott moellmer (Goofy) on Tuesday, June 17, 2014 - 12:32 am: Edit

===
Well, i made Paul work for it a little, but he dodged and tractored my slightly annoyin drones, and when he bolted off my #4, hard to run. So i swung my Aux around, and voided the warranty. ;)
fun game.

By Paul Scott (The_Rock) on Tuesday, June 17, 2014 - 12:33 am: Edit

After a bunch of turns following the Wynn and taking his damage, I took down his #4. Being stuck there and taking internals, the WAX tried to HET and failed. GG Scott.

By Peter Bakija (Bakija) on Tuesday, June 17, 2014 - 08:05 am: Edit

Hurrah for 1st game down!

By Josh Saxton (Blackwind) on Tuesday, June 17, 2014 - 10:21 am: Edit

Wasn't sure where to report this.

Devil over Blackwind in 3 turns, Turn 2 he fires early and with poor rolls only does 8 damage with 2 phaser-1's and 4 overload disruptors at R7. He slows down I speed away get to about R10 where I het towards him around impulse 22 or so at speed 26 he sc after my het to speed 18. We end up r2 at imp 32, he tractors me, I blast his #2 down with phasers on imp 32. I erroneously believed that I had a clear shot with 4 overload disruptors at his downed #2 but he rotates me on to his pristine #1 and in to his drones he fired on turn 1, for 24(killed 2 drones) on my weak #3. At which point I conceded more or less, given my gambit had failed and I could not stop the 72 points of drones coming my way.

GG Majead, looks like 2 wins for Peons of Death.

By Peter Bakija (Bakija) on Tuesday, June 17, 2014 - 01:19 pm: Edit

Send me an e-mail like it says in the rules :-)

By Peter Bakija (Bakija) on Tuesday, June 17, 2014 - 01:21 pm: Edit

>>I erroneously believed that I had a clear shot with 4 overload disruptors at his downed #2 but he rotates me on to his pristine #1 and in to his drones he fired on turn 1, for 24(killed 2 drones) on my weak #3.>>

You are aware that you could have beat his tractor auction during the EA phase with a 2:1 advantage in power for you, correct?

(i.e. at R2, he had to spend 2 power for every 1 point you had to spend to defeat him).

By Majead Farsi (Devil) on Tuesday, June 17, 2014 - 06:33 pm: Edit

Yes he did. We tractor auctioned to 12 points at which point he gave in as he wanted the power for other things I guess. As we did discuss this, it was the mistake that cost him the game. He also mentioned that he did not intend to get that close to me anyway and my speed increase brought me closer than he liked. It was the first time I have played against the Frax and thought not a bad ship at all.

By Peter Bakija (Bakija) on Tuesday, June 17, 2014 - 06:55 pm: Edit

12 points in the sense that you spent 12 to get him at R2 or you spent 24 to get him at R2?

Just curious.

By Josh Saxton (Blackwind) on Tuesday, June 17, 2014 - 07:10 pm: Edit

as in 12 points to get me, I wanted the power and I should have spent more.

By Matthew Potter (Neonpico) on Tuesday, June 17, 2014 - 08:30 pm: Edit

If I were in Josh's case, I would have gone as high as the other person wanted to take it (effectively go until I'm free).

In large part because this means they are more power-light than I am for that turn (because they spent double the energy that I did). This directly translates to them not having the weapons to hurt me (no overloads, perhaps no heavy weapons at all) and/or not the speed to run away. If we both starcastle, I'd end up with better weapons and thus an advantage.

The other side of the coin is if I am significantly down on weapons or power (so the loss of power hurts me as much or more than him), or if he has prepared a significant blast of weaponry that requires almost no power on the launching turn (such as a huge drone wave, or plasma). Then he'd be happy with draining my ability to run away at speed. Obviously the counter is to weasel, but by the mid/late game, it's pretty safe to assume they aren't around anymore.

By Josh Saxton (Blackwind) on Tuesday, June 17, 2014 - 09:40 pm: Edit

In hindsight I realize what I should have done, but in that particular case, I was fearful of a drone combatting 2 drone waves waiting on phasers to recycle and weaseling early would have put me off that downed shield which I wanted. After some time thinking about it, draining his power and weaseling would have bought me time to cycle my phasers and I would have weakened another shield with disruptors (perhaps downing it depending on how many phasers I could use), anyways my recycled phasers/drones would have taken care of the new drone wave, with 1 forward shield downed and another weaken/downed shield would have limited his options in later turns.

Hindsight is always 20/20, downing the shield in that pass was a step in the right direction but I wanted a one shot, one kill, moment and that mentality doesn't work here.

It was a fun game and Majead taught me a few valuable lessons. The only thing I/we lost is the 2 extra points for my team, hopefully, that won't hurt us too bad.

By David Cheng (Davec) on Thursday, June 19, 2014 - 11:22 am: Edit

Peons of Death vs The Council of Three Nations

Kingzilla (Romulan FireHawk) vs DaveC (Hydran)

Monday, June 23rd
9:00 PM EDT

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation