Master Ship Manual

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Star Fleet Battles: New Product Development: Master Ship Manual
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
Archive through September 22, 2008  25   09/25 07:08pm
Archive through September 29, 2008  25   09/30 12:34am
Archive through October 01, 2008  25   10/20 09:18am
Archive through December 06, 2008  25   12/11 07:59am
Archive through January 31, 2009  25   02/02 11:51am
Archive through May 11, 2009  25   06/02 11:55am
Archive through September 07, 2009  25   11/16 01:32pm
Archive through November 19, 2009  25   11/20 10:57am
Archive through March 23, 2011  25   07/20 12:02am

By Lawrence Bergen (Lar) on Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 02:19 pm: Edit

Absolutely agree.

By Koen van der Pasch (Croga) on Saturday, July 16, 2011 - 11:56 pm: Edit

If I may be so bold I'll bump this thread...

I'm notoriously bad at keeping my R-sections together and I generally do need them badly. As some have said before; this is the product I would most like to see happen (I'm not promising an immediate buy of the paper version but if it were available as download I'd buy it right now).

So with the lack of Ted's updates lately I'd love to know what's happening with this at the moment.

By Jean Sexton (Jsexton) on Sunday, July 17, 2011 - 12:08 am: Edit

Koen, it is currently on hold.

By Jean Sexton (Jsexton) on Wednesday, July 20, 2011 - 12:02 am: Edit

Gentlemen, please remember that if you compile copyright-protected information, then you may use it yourself only. You may not, under any circumstances, distribute it to anyone else. Even if you say it is free, it breaks the copyright laws.

If you think you have produced something that SVC wants to see, email him and describe what you have done. Please don't post that information on the BBS.

Jean
WebMom

By Howard Bampton (Bampton) on Wednesday, July 20, 2011 - 07:12 am: Edit

John- IP, DRM, Copyright, and the like dictate how you can use stuff you buy (or 'acquire a license to'). They spell out what you can do. Us transcribing ADB IP into an alternate format/presentation steps over that line if it is distributed (you can do it for your own personal use without issue).

ADB seems to be pretty reasonable with their use of IP and allowing others to leverage it. Their license with Paramount also places some constraints on what they do, lest some well meaning person do something that gets ADB in legal troubles.

Don't get me wrong- I find some of the rules annoying, even though I see why they are the way they are. There are some companies that misuse (IMO) those laws, and I just don't buy their products and explain (when asked) why I don't. A discussion of the evils (again, IMO) of the DMCA is something that Jean would probably frown on though.

By Jean Sexton (Jsexton) on Wednesday, July 20, 2011 - 07:26 am: Edit

John, I gave you an avenue to help. Email SVC and tell him what you have done and see if it is something he needs or can use.

Remember that we have always said that you can do something for your personal enjoyment. You can never distribute it. Think about how many people had scanned in their MRB. If they had given it away to people, then we wouldn't be able to sell it. It is unfortunately true that we must make money to stay in business.

Howard, let's not get into the DMCA discussion or the morality of copyright. :) You are right and it would make me an unhappy camper.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Wednesday, July 20, 2011 - 10:00 am: Edit

John, however much you wanted to help, you did break the rules (and the law) and should have known better.

Whatever it is, email me about it, and we'll talk.

By Dal Downing Rambler (3deez) on Saturday, September 03, 2011 - 01:57 am: Edit

I understand SPP has this project now. And I am sure he sneaks a little time into it here and there but, what happen to the ideal of just getting all the RAW unedited, unupdated R Sections spooled together into a quick and dirty document and selling it on line. Yes I want the MSSB but I also want to replace a lot of my water damaged products so I can keep up with Battle Force articles now.

By Shawn Hantke (Shantke) on Thursday, November 03, 2011 - 03:58 pm: Edit

Any progress on this? How about the unupdated raw version? Here is a thought: Update the R sections a little at a time and sell them piece by piece, then release the whole updated book when all the R sections are updated. ie: basic set R section, then Advanced Missions R section, then R1 R section etc.

By Jean Sexton (Jsexton) on Thursday, November 03, 2011 - 09:33 pm: Edit

Shawn, we've been swamped with Mongoose joint venture projects and haven't been able to work on two other big releases. This is on the backburner for a while.

By Shawn Hantke (Shantke) on Thursday, November 03, 2011 - 10:12 pm: Edit

Does the little piece idea hold any water when there is more time?

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Thursday, November 03, 2011 - 10:24 pm: Edit

Maybe we can talk about that after CL44. We are officially on CL44 lockdown right now, so the answer to any "can you do...?" question is "no".

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Thursday, November 03, 2011 - 10:30 pm: Edit

The little piece idea is ok to work on the project, but useless to release it. Every time we work on ship 43, we find out we have to go change ships 11, 29, 47, 53, and 65.

The problem (I have said before) is that this turned out to be about 50 times as much work as it was thought to be when we talked about doing it. The amount of work that went into an unfinished version of the Hydrans was several times the amount of time budgeted to do EVERY empire (total, not each).

So maybe we can find a way to make progress here, but maybe when compared to other things people want updated, this is not a good bet. I don't know YET.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Monday, March 18, 2013 - 06:41 pm: Edit

Steve Petrick is nearly finished with the "first complete draft" of the Federation part of the MSSB. He will soon be looking for a very small number of people to review and comment on the book. If you'd be interested and have time to give it serious attention, contact both SPP and SVC by email and we'll review applications.

Jean Sexton and John Crawford are already on the team.

By Ted Fay (Catwhoeatsphoto) on Tuesday, March 19, 2013 - 10:47 am: Edit

I'm so happy to hear that this project is still in the works!

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Tuesday, March 19, 2013 - 04:02 pm: Edit

NO MORE VOLUNTEERS PLEASE.

We have more good people wanting in than we can use. We will select the team tomorrow.

By Chuck Strong (Raider) on Sunday, June 09, 2013 - 12:21 pm: Edit

I don't know if many of your ever saw the old Panzerblitz Wargamer's Guide but not only did it include a unit description but it also included an illustration of the the counter used in the game.

Would adding the illustration of the F&E counter along with the unit description prove to be too difficult? The thought is that this product could also be used as an SFU reference beyond that of SFB and to help spark further interest in and market F&E.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Sunday, June 09, 2013 - 07:45 pm: Edit

Talk to me at origins, show me some kind of mock up of a page. Layout and info is the point, you can do it in crayons or graphics program.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation