Archive through July 08, 2011

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Company-Conventions-Stores-Ideas: About the Company: Company weblog: Archive through July 08, 2011
By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Friday, June 17, 2011 - 12:28 am: Edit

MY DAY: 15 June (Wednesday) 2011
Got to the office at 9:48am. Weather: 78F and clear.
Daily Routine: Dinosaur list: Australian spinosaur. BBS: 22. Forum: 11. Out box: 48. APOD: star cluster. Web crawl completed at 2:21. Lunch: fish at Furr’s. Sent to Joel: Comm 66. Read FYEO for today. Worked with Steve Petrick on SECRET.
Email: Overnight spam 46 plus 36 during the day. Email left in in-box at end of the day: 360.
Primary work: I dealt with people on several forums trying to guess what each new joint venture game will be like. I finished Comm 66 and sent it to Joel to upload. I gave the final approval to HF-0611 and told Joel to ship it. Die cutter sent email that the ISC WAR counters would not be here until we’re about to leave. After some more email, they agreed to send one box for delivery on Friday. I checked the final proof copy of the secret product and was honored to write the dedication for it.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Friday, June 17, 2011 - 12:29 am: Edit

MY DAY: 16 June (Thursday) 2011
Got to the office at 9:40. Weather: 84F and clear.
Daily Routine: Dinosaur list: Tyrannosaurus collagen. BBS: 15. Forum: 10. Out box: 49. APOD: surface of Mercury. Sudoku 3:31. Ann Coulter doesn’t like libertarians. Web crawl completed at 10:54. Lunch: CFS at bowling alley. Starlist 30102. Sent to Joel: last things needed for products. Read FYEO for today. Worked with Steve Petrick on ISC War.
Email: Overnight spam 36 plus 50 during the day. Email left in in-box at end of the day: 330.
Primary work: I finished Transports Attacked rulebook. The ship cards came in for Transports Attacked. Petrick finished the secret product and Leanna started printing it. Distant Armada print run for Origins is finished. I got the Origins display done except for the two covers due tomorrow. I worked with Mike S and we got the boxes for the display rack stuff and most of the other merchandise packed, but the way this works we’ll be gently placing another box on the "load in truck" pile every few hours until Monday. I finally got a chance to work on ISC War again, and did ALL of the reports received to date, Petrick’s entire playtest report, and more pages of Jean’s report. (She is up to page 27 and only has to go to 46 because the rest of it is the SIT). I sent the staff a new rulebook (with two dozen marks calling their attention to final decisions to be made) and a new SIT. I had to order Jean to go to bed at eleven her time, and finally stopped at 11:30 Texas time and went home.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Friday, June 17, 2011 - 10:59 pm: Edit

MY DAY: 17 June (Friday) 2011
Got to the office at 10:08. Weather: 80F and clear.
Daily Routine: Dinosaur list: 150 years of Archy. BBS: 20. Forum: 11. Out box: 49. APOD: boring, artistic but useless. Sudoku 3:04. Web crawl completed at 10:53. Lunch: BBQ at Blue ront. Starlist 75126. Read FYEO for today. Worked with Steve Petrick on origins.
Email: Overnight spam 59 plus 43 during the day. Email left in in-box at end of the day: 343.
2PM Staff Meeting:SPP gave SVC the DVDs of his favorite childhood TV show (Men into Space). SVC gave SPP a three-foot bronze sword used at Thermopolaye by one of the 300 Spartans.
Primary work: UPS tried to deliver ISC counters (and succeeded finally much later in the day). Zip Print delivered the covers for ISCW and TrAtk. Origins prep work (SPP finished tournament box after SVC did prize certificates, I repacked the booth box after inventory and update, staged road emergency box, displays, fired up credit card machine). Avis confirms stow & go van is on hold for us. I did the ISC capital chart and sent it to the staff. I did the large print version of CL43. I did the most recent round of F&E reports.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Saturday, June 18, 2011 - 08:41 pm: Edit

MY DAY: 18 June (Saturday) 2011
Got to the office at 9:25. Weather: 75F and clear.
Daily Routine: BBS: 23. Forum: 6. Out box: 48. APOD: NA. Web crawl completed at 10:08. Lunch: Pizza. Starlist 92019. Read FYEO for today.
Email: Overnight spam 24 plus 34 during the day. Email left in in-box at end of the day: 342.
Primary work: I worked on ISC War until it was done, which took four hours longer than it should have. Then I did the LPE for CL43 and the LPE for ISCWAR.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Monday, June 20, 2011 - 03:08 pm: Edit

MY DAY: 19 June (Sunday) 2011
Got to the office at 1:45. Weather: 99F and clear.
Daily Routine: Dinosaur list: new tiny dino. BBS: 44. Forum: 5. Out box: 48. APOD: asteroid. Web crawl completed at 2:24. Lunch: Leanna cooked roast. Starlist 20877. Read FYEO for today.
Email: Overnight spam 35 plus 11 during the day. Email left in in-box at end of the day: 332.
Primary work: I picked up the snacks for the trip on the way into town. I made sure the ISCWLPE was on Leanna’s computer. I trimmed books so Mike could pack ISCWAR, packed minis, fixed the broken hinge on the display, and packed the final things I have to pack for the show.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Monday, June 20, 2011 - 03:08 pm: Edit

MY DAY: 20 June (Monday-Departure) 2011
Got to the office at 8:30. Weather: 80F and clear.
Daily Routine: Dinosaur list: Italian notosuchian. BBS: 29. Forum: 10. Out box: 48. APOD: NASA propaganda with nothing to do with astronomy. Web crawl completed at 9:32. Lunch: Dyers BBQ, not a good day for them. Worked with Steve Petrick on loading the van. Exercise: loading the van.
Email: Overnight spam 35 plus 44 during the day. Email left in in-box at end of the day: 335.
Primary work: got here and started doing last minute things. Got a phone call from truckline and had to go unload the main shipment of ISC War counters. Picked up rental car, which was the short version of a voyager not the long version, but we’re taking it anyway. Loaded most of the stuff into the van but had to wait for Leanna to print and Mike to pack more copies of products for pick up at Origins special orders (loose leaf versions). We left at 2:15pm.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Monday, June 20, 2011 - 10:24 pm: Edit

ORIGINS TRIP: 20 June.
As I was leaving, Leanna said that Mike had forgotten something (the LPE rulebooks for ISC WAR) but he was hole punching them and would be along momentarily. So, I hit the restroom and came back out to hear "we have a last minute order" which Mike was stuffing into a bag. With both in hand, I got in the minivan, which Steve P had finished loading. Then we found out I coud not get into the driver's seat and fasten the seat belt. I assumed I was too fat but we figured out that SPP had not adjusted the seat since he drove it over. That fixed, we headed off. As we pulled up the ramp onto I40, we felt all of the tension of the last month go away.

We left at 2:15, far earlier than ever, and obviously reached the hotel in Tulsa at 9pm, still daylight.

It was a quiet drive (after I got used to the fully loaded car) but the wind made for exciting moments.

We look forward to seeing everyone at the show.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Tuesday, June 28, 2011 - 06:34 pm: Edit

MY DAY: 21 June (Tuesday-Travel) 2011
This is the day we rest (as we drive) from the hard work of getting ready to go. The drive was pleasant; there was not much construction and only one spot of rain. The BBQ at Sweetwater was good. We got to the hotel in Columbus about 11pm. Jean called me and asked me to walk across to D240 bringing some ISC counters. I did so, chatted with the guys for a while. Then Steve Petrick showed up and said I needed to walk back to the hotel and get some sleep.
Dinosaur List: 4000 dino tracks covered forever by Swiss highway. APOD: lunar eclipse.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Tuesday, June 28, 2011 - 06:35 pm: Edit

MY DAY: 22 June (Wednesday-Singalong Day) 2011
We got up and began executing the on-site plan. I walked over to D240 and when Chuck Strong said that the guys were ready to help unload, I phoned Steve Petrick and told him to come on over. He called when he was on the ramp, and we all walked down. The F&E guys (Freight and Equipment) unloaded the car in one trip, and Jean got to see the booth set up from the bare concrete. Don Reents had his big booth next door and the carpet he brought went all the way into our booth, so we gave him some sodas for the privilege of spending the show in a carpeted booth. We got everything set up, had a nice lunch, chatted with friends, then had supper, then I went to the GAMA meeting. John Ward, the executive director, admitted that 60% of Origins attendees and almost all vendors had voted against the change of dates but that he was going ahead anyway. GAMA President Rick Loomis said "nothing is going to be changed tonight" and ignored my question of "why the hell not?" Frustrated, and went to the singalong which went very nicely. Eventually, we all went and got some sleep.
Dinosaur List: Scypionyx, Australian spinosaur. APOD: surface detail of Planet Mercury.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Tuesday, June 28, 2011 - 06:35 pm: Edit

MY DAY: 23 June (Thursday-Opening Day) 2011
We had to be in the booth at 9am for "retailer hour" despite the fact that only three retailers showed up and only one talked to us (and she was just looking for stuff for her personal collection, not for her store). Yet another brilliant GAMA idea that deserved to work but did not. Then the flood gates opened at 10am and we were swamped with sales all day. Thanks for Mike Filsinger who made sure I got lunch. At the end of the day, I was somewhat sick (as I had mixed up some of my heart medication) and went back to the hotel to sleep. While in a drug-induced stupor, Jean got me to sign an agreement to de-capitalize Boarding Party and Prime Team.
Dinosaur List: Bird Origins. APOD: Helene (moon of Saturn).

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Tuesday, June 28, 2011 - 06:36 pm: Edit

MY DAY: 24 June (Friday-Quiet Day) 2011
Friday is quiet day. The all-week people have already bought their stuff and the one-day people come on Saturday. We sold some stuff (passing our quota for the show), talked to a lot of people, and passed out chocolate for the ladies. Jay Waschak demoed his train game and attracted a lot of attention. The miniatures conference went well (with Rob Glass explaining what Mongoose does).
Dinosaur List: Sauropod teeth reveal cooler mammal-like body temperatures. APOD: big dipper.

MY DAY: 25 June (Saturday-Crazy Day) 2011
Saturday is Crazy Day because so many one-day people show up. Good sales, the events all wrapped up, and we talked to a lot of people. Jeff Johnson did a heck of a job with GURPS and Starmada events. I finished shopping for the presents I take home to Leanna. The F&E seminar is always a special treat for me, made better this year by having Chuck Strong and ISC War there. I went back to the hotel at 1am and got some sleep.
Dinosaur List: Tinamous: living dinosaurs. APOD: irrelevant artistic skyline.

MY DAY: 26 June (Sunday-Closing Day) 2011
Sunday is the last day of the show, and everyone wants to go home. We got up, checked out of the hotel, and had the universe seminar. Then, down to the dealer hall. The rules prohibit you from taking your booth apart before 4pm, but we were able to pack up the backup stock without violating the rules. When the show closed at 4, we were packed and out of there at 4:30, loaded and out the gate at 4:45, then promptly got lost trying to take an unfamiliar way out of the convention because construction had blocked the usual ramp. Fifteen minutes later, we found the ramp and got on the road. We always face a choice. We can either spend the night in Effingham (Illinois) or three hours later in Saint Claire (Missouri). The problem is the traffic in Saint Louis, which means spending the night any closer than Effingham is a waste of time (we have to wait until 10am for the traffic to thin out) and the hotels near Six Flags (we have to drive sixty miles to get to a hotel with decent rates). We made it to Saint Claire just before it rained.
Dinosaur List: Kentrosaurus defense. APOD: nice nebula.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Tuesday, June 28, 2011 - 06:37 pm: Edit

MY DAY: 27 June (Monday-Homebound Day) 2011
Monday is a day for driving, more Sweetwater BBQ, and a quiet review of how the show went. This all went well (the show was great, but we’re all nervous about next year) and we got to the office at 9:15am. We unloaded the van and I went home to be welcomed by Leanna, Isis, and Ramses.
Dinosaur List: Thagomizer. APOD: stars and dust.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Tuesday, June 28, 2011 - 06:37 pm: Edit

MY DAY: 28 June (Tuesday-Homecoming Day) 2011
Got to the office at 11am. Weather: 89F, rain last night.
Daily Routine: Dinosaur list: Bat wing hairs. BBS: 70. Forum: 47. Out box: 51. APOD: Stardust and Betelgeuse. Web crawl completed at 4:40pm. Lunch: steak at Willis. Sent to Joel: pirates. Exercise: finished unloading rental car at home.
Email: Spam while I was out of town 766 plus 13 during the day. Email left in in-box at end of the day: 378.
Primary work: I got busy sorting email and helping Mike get the stuff unpacked and counted. Joel got the cyber-board thing uploaded. Sorted the twigs, tree bark, and larger gravel out of three pounds of trail mix.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Monday, July 04, 2011 - 02:06 pm: Edit

MY DAY: 29 June (Wednesday) 2011
Got to the office at 11:30. Weather: 91F and clear, high 104.
Daily Routine: Dinosaur list: Triceratops (Torosaurus) frill growth. BBS: 27. Forum: 11. Out box: 52. APOD: cluster of galaxies. Web crawl completed at 1:17pm. Lunch: Arby’s. Sent to Joel: pirates.
Email: Overnight spam 61 plus 24 during the day. Email left in in-box at end of the day: 359.
Primary work: Mostly cleaning up email, unpacking boxes that came home from Origins, putting away stuff that we wont need until the next Origins (whenever that is). Posted new photos of the new D7.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Monday, July 04, 2011 - 02:07 pm: Edit

MY DAY: 30 June (Thursday) 2011
Got to the office at 10:15. Weather: 84F and clear.
Daily Routine: Dinosaur list: Raptorex reanalysis: probable juvenile Tarbosaurus. BBS: 51. Forum: 13. Out box: 47. APOD: star cluster. Web crawl completed at 2:04pm. Lunch: veggie plate at Calico. Sent to Joel: pirate. Read FYEO for 20th. Worked with Steve Petrick on KRV/KRU. Industry mailing lists: Origins dates. Ann Coulter: rants about rude liberals who assailed Glen Beck in a public park and NYT insult of her latest best-seller.
Email: Overnight spam 45 plus 16 during the day. Email left in in-box at end of the day: 357.
Primary work: I did a formal review of the D7 prototype and told Mongoose that it violated the Paramount contract. I did the final fixes to F&E ISC WAR. I continued cleaning up, sorting out, and putting away the stuff from Origins. I wore my jaunty Klingon Ranger Beret most of the day in honor of TerrorWerks.

MY DAY: 1 July (Friday) 2011
Got to the office at 10am. Weather: 84F, scattered clouds.
Daily Routine: Dinosaur list: Ankylosaurian phylogeny. BBS: 22. Forum: 7. Out box: 47. APOD: Andromeda. Sudoku 2:47. Web crawl completed at 10:51. Lunch: BBQ at blue front. Read FYEO for 22nd, 23rd, 24th, 25th, 26th, 27th, 28th, 29th, 30th. Industry mailing lists: Origins dates.
Email: Overnight spam 60 plus 25 during the day. Email left in in-box at end of the day: 363.
Primary work: I had scheduled today to catch up on FYEO.

MY DAY: 2 July (Saturday) 2011
Got to the office at 11am. Weather: 88F and clear.
Daily Routine: Dinosaur list: basal theropods. BBS: 13. Forum: 8. Out box: 50. APOD: useless skyline. Web crawl completed at 1pm. Lunch: Blue Front (breakfast).
Email: Overnight spam 31 plus 11 during the day. Email left in in-box at end of the day: 365.
Primary work: I did the THIS WEEK blog and continued putting up Origins stuff. Mostly I just rested and cleaned up delayed work files.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Monday, July 04, 2011 - 02:08 pm: Edit

MY DAY: 3 July (Sunday) 2011
As I promised Leanna, I stayed home to work around the house and to rest. APOD: Alpha Centauri. Dinolist: Horseshoe Canyon Tyrannosaurid.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Monday, July 04, 2011 - 07:44 pm: Edit

MY DAY: 4 July (Independence Day; Monday) 2011
Got to the office at 10:17. Weather: 80F, a few clouds.
Daily Routine: Dinosaur list: fighting dinosaurs. BBS: 40. Forum: 20. Out box: 49. APOD: useless. Web crawl completed at 6:42pm. Lunch: Cattle Call. Sent to Joel: pirates.
Email: Two days of spam 62 plus 2 during the day. Email left in in-box at end of the day: 356.
Primary work: I spent all day on the CL43 supplemental file.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Friday, July 08, 2011 - 06:41 pm: Edit

MY DAY: 5 July (Tuesday) 2011
Got to the office at 10:10. Weather: 92F and cloudy.
Daily Routine: Dinosaur list: Gargantuavis a bird, not a pterosaur. BBS: 22. Forum: 7. Out box: 56. APOD: stupid waste of time. Web crawl completed at 12:48. Lunch: chopped steak at Cricket. Read FYEO for July 1st and 2nd. Industry mailing lists: Origins date changes and GAMA’s inability to give a valid reason.
Email: Overnight spam 61 plus 45 during the day. Email left in in-box at end of the day: 371.
Primary work: I finished the supplemental file except for Daniel K’s ships, Chuck’s CL43 report, and Mike F’s Origins report. I gave it to Petrick to read.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Friday, July 08, 2011 - 06:42 pm: Edit

MY DAY: 6 July (Wednesday) 2011
Got to the office at noon. Weather: 95F, clear, high 101F.
Daily Routine: Dinosaur list: Tyrannosauroid Laurasian. BBS: 28. Forum: 11. Out box: 47. APOD: Tycho peak. Sudoku 3:21. Web crawl completed at 12:49. Lunch: LJS. Starlist 68128. Sent to Joel: Avatar. Read FYEO for 3rd, 4th, 5th. Industry mailing lists: Origins dates.
Email: Overnight spam 58 plus 37 during the day. Email left in in-box at end of the day: 379.
Customer Request Wednesday: I made a unique avatar for Silent Bob.
Primary work: I took the morning off (as promised to Leanna) and later in the day did product descriptions for new e23 uploads.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Friday, July 08, 2011 - 06:42 pm: Edit

MY DAY: 7 July (Thursday) 2011
Got to the office at 10am. Weather: 91F, thin clouds.
Daily Routine: Dinosaur list: Pterosaur morphological evolution. BBS: 32. Forum: 11. Out box: 48. APOD: nice galaxy. Sudoku 2:49. Ann Coulter on single mothers and the cost to society. Web crawl completed at 11:02am. Lunch: brought a low-cal sandwich from home. Starlist 15146. Read FYEO for yesterday and today. Industry mailing lists: Origins dates and 30,000 college students who might show up (yeah, right).
Email: Overnight spam 44 plus 51 during the day. Email left in in-box at end of the day: 360.
Primary work: Memos about the PlatHat tournament. Did a blog for Jean to use later. Answered Jean’s memo about a PD20M giveaway thing. Deal with the platinum hat thing. I answered some emails for Traveller that had waited too long for me to answer already. I finally started on Communique 67, but had to ask Petrick for SSDs so I didn’t get very far.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Friday, July 08, 2011 - 07:25 pm: Edit

MY DAY: 8 July (Friday) 2011
Got to the office at 10am. Weather: 84F, partly cloudy.
Daily Routine: Dinosaur list: Theropod bones. BBS: 18. Forum: 11. Out box: 51. APOD: storms on Saturn. Sudoku 3:04. Web crawl completed at 10:50. Lunch: BBQ at blue front. Starlist 16601. Sent to Joel: one update and four new pages for the Wall of Honor. Read FYEO for today. Worked with Steve Petrick on battle group CL44. Industry mailing lists: Origins dates.
Email: Overnight spam 49 plus 49 during the day. Email left in in-box at end of the day: 350.
2PM Staff Meeting: Cancelled. Mike and Leanna were busy with huge wholesaler restocks.
Business Friday: I finally finished copying the Mongoose contracts to parchment with a quill pen, something required by British law, so I can mail them to replace the fax contract.
Primary work: I did the Ship Cards for Comm 67 and got Petrick to review them. Then I did the scenario. (I cheated and used one from Cordiero, since I do not have to rewrite his scenarios like I do those of other people.) I took care of the Gamefest 32 request. I answered a few emails that were waiting.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation