Archive through September 20, 2011

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Company-Conventions-Stores-Ideas: About the Company: Company weblog: Archive through September 20, 2011
By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Monday, August 29, 2011 - 10:09 pm: Edit

MY DAY: 28 Aug (Sunday) 2011
I stayed home and did stuff around the house. Petrick also stayed home under orders to see if a day of rest would improve his energy. When I realized that I had not done the Monday blog, Leanna (rather than let me go to town) got things set up on the home computer so I could do it there. Leanna cooked a big turkey dinner. I took both Isis and Ramses on hunting trips. Isis went after a ground squirrel while Ramses picked a rabbit for his chase. APOD: galactic jet.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Monday, August 29, 2011 - 10:09 pm: Edit

MY DAY: 29 Aug (Monday) 2011
Got to the office at 11am. Weather: 75F, very pleasant morning with a lot of nice clouds.
Daily Routine: Dinosaur list: theropod teeth. BBS: 33. Forum: 16. Out box: 44. APOD: nice galaxies. Sudoku 2:43. Web crawl completed at 1:38. Lunch: ribs at Salt Grass. Read FYEO for yesterday and today. Worked with Steve Petrick on E3 plan.
Email: two days of spam 193 plus 61 during the day. Email left in in-box at end of the day: 194.
Marketing Monday: Did a Star Fleet Alert for OMRB.
SPP work: Talked with Jeremy Gray, whose changed Navy plans may effect how/when E3 gets finished and published. Worked on campaing update for E4, did the mail run, trimmed books, checked DND, checked orders,
SVC work: Did FC Lyran DND and sent it to MW. Todayís Mongoose requests included: Snipe deck plans, extensive discussion of the ACTA drone rules, information on several Romulan ships, and discussions of how the DNG is different from the DN. I wrote a company policy blog for Jean and finished the current random thoughts blog for her reserve stack.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Tuesday, August 30, 2011 - 06:44 pm: Edit

MY DAY: 30 Aug (Tuesday) 2011
Got to the office at 10am. Weather: 84F, very few clouds.
Daily Routine: Dinosaur list: Dilophosaurus. BBS: 16. Forum: 7. Out box: 51. APOD: coldest brown dwarf. Sudoku 2:43. Web crawl completed at 1pm. Lunch: veggies at Calico. Sent to Joel: HF stuff. Read FYEO for today.
Email: Overnight spam 57 plus 73 during the day. Email left in in-box at end of the day: 196.
2PM Staff Meeting: Decided to have regular Tuesday meetings but no Friday meetings. Scheduled for Labor Day weekend and company party. Assigned tasks: SVC Fed Admiral, SPP CL44, Leanna purchasing supplies, Mike inventory, Joel HF. Mike was cleared to run power trimmer and make mail runs.
SPP work: Reviewed war eagle, snipe, old CL. Worked on E4 campaign update.
SVC work: Posted SFB scenario list to PHP forum. Sent Mongoose analysis of the War Eagle. Helped Joel format photos of minis for comparison. Posted the War Eagle 3Ds in their topic. Reviewed HF and sent Joel more stuff. Finished the alert and had Joel/Mike send it. Reviewed the Snipe and posted it. Worked on lost list of player comments about ships Sandrine will soon start work on.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Thursday, September 01, 2011 - 07:52 pm: Edit

MY DAY: 31 Aug (Wednesday) 2011
Got to the office at 11an after another class at business school. Weather: 84F with some clouds.
Daily Routine: Dinosaur list: African Eocene terror bird. BBS: 26. Forum: 8. Out box: 51. APOD: not astronomy. Sudoku 2:56. Web crawl completed at 1:30. Lunch: chicken at LJS. Sent to Joel: page updates. Read FYEO for today. Industry mailing lists: art costs.
Email: Overnight spam 84 plus 50 during the day. Email left in in-box at end of the day: 195.
Customer Request Wednesday: I worked on the project to do counters for all CapLog ships, but itís a big project and wonít get done in one hour. I also updated the update list.
SPP work: CL44 battle group, finished campaign update for module E4, reviewed HF, reviewed SFMarine tactics stuff.
SVC work: I finished answering the Mongoose data requests from last week; no new ship pictures today. Did SPP fixes to Comm 69. Read 42 pages of ACTA-SF.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Thursday, September 01, 2011 - 07:53 pm: Edit

MY DAY: 1 Sept (Thursday) 2011
Got to the office at 9:12. Weather: 80F, mostly clear.
Daily Routine: Dinosaur list: lower triassic Brazil. BBS: 19. Forum: 4. Out box: 46. APOD: nebula. Sudoku 2:28. Ann Coulter: the only thing sheís wrong about. Web crawl completed at 11:01. Lunch: CfilA. Sent to Joel: Jeanís project. Read FYEO for today. Starlist 40509.
Email: Overnight spam 63 plus 73 during the day. Email left in in-box at end of the day: 194.
SPP work: Reviewed WE, Fed FFG, Fed FFB. Worked on CL44 (SSDs, battle groups, articles). Read first 10 pages of ACTASF.
SVC work: Typed up reports on the first 10 pages of ACTA-SF. Reviewed tomorrowís demotivational. Reviewed War Eagle #2, Fed Frigate #4, Fed FFB #4.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Friday, September 02, 2011 - 07:46 pm: Edit

MY DAY: 2 Sept (Friday) 2011
Got to the office at 11am after Leanna and I caught two more business classes. Weather: 84F and clear.
Daily Routine: Dinosaur list: Triceratops. BBS: 21. Forum: 9. Out box: 52. APOD: dust cloud filaments. Web crawl completed at 1:50. Lunch: BBQ at blue front. Sent to Joel: mongoose pages, wallpapers, ship graphics, whatís new links. Read FYEO for today.
Email: Overnight spam 73 plus 52 during the day. Email left in in-box at end of the day: 199.
Business Friday: Memo to Battlestations.
SPP work: Reviews ships. Read ACTASF pages 11-20. Worked on CL44 monster article.
SVC work: Reviewed new Mongoose Fed ships (CA4, BCH4). Typed up report on ACTASF pages 11-19. Formally wrote up the third and fourth marines scenarios.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Saturday, September 03, 2011 - 08:44 pm: Edit

MY DAY: 3 Sept (Saturday) 2011
Got to the office at 10:10. Weather: 86F and clear.
Daily Routine: BBS: 24. Forum: 6. Out box: 45. APOD: comet. Jigsawdoku 2:55. Web crawl completed at 11:03. Lunch: pizza. Read FYEO for today. Exercise: I took Ramses for a long hunt.
Email: Overnight spam 66 plus 56 during the day. Email left in in-box at end of the day: 195.
SPP work: Checked Vudar CAF. Read pages 20-30 of ACTASF. Found SSDs that SVC wanted for to use for new ships in FC. Answered rules questions (shuttle fire control). Did Kzinti Q-ships for unknown future product. Worked on space boar article for CL44. Playtested SFM (Battle for Vista de las Vegas).
SVC work: Did the Vudar CF for Reinforcements and sent to staff. I did a scenario for the FC bank and sent that to the staff. Since I have the CF and did not have to scale the counters, I went ahead and did Vudar ePack #1 and sent that to the staff. I checked on the HF updates Joel made. I worked more on the CL44 Day One story and set up a topic for people to comment. I sent Jay W another eleven pages of Fed Admiral. Playtested SFM (Battle for Vista de las Vegas).

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Tuesday, September 06, 2011 - 07:57 pm: Edit

MY DAY: 4 Sept (Sunday) 2011
I stayed home and rested, doing some stuff around the house. The temperature was unusually cool (about 70F most of the day) and Leanna and I were able to enjoy the outside for the first time since May, taking the kids hunting. Dinolist: Aragosaurus. APOD magnificent photo of farside Saturn.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Tuesday, September 06, 2011 - 07:57 pm: Edit

MY DAY: 5 Sept (Labor Day) 2011
Back before Origins, Leanna got me to promise to take off Labor Day, which is pretty rare for us, and it worked out well, as I got the kind of deep rest and mental break I only get on vacation. We enjoyed the cool weather. Dinolist: bird origins. APO: star jet video that wonít play on my mac. There were 30 active BBS topics when I accidentally did a search that it remembered.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Tuesday, September 06, 2011 - 07:58 pm: Edit

MY DAY: 6 Sept (Tuesday) 2011
Got to the office at 10:15am. Weather: 70F and mostly clear.
Daily Routine: Dinosaur list: Dinosaur Revolution TV show. BBS: 16. Forum: 13. Out box: 48. APOD: star cluster. Web crawl completed at 3:51. Lunch: Dyerís BBQ. Sent to Joel: revisions to 2400 and 2500 pages. Read FYEO for 3 days. Exercise: 15 minute walk, first time since 18 April. Target shooting: 97.5.
Email: Three days of spam 309 plus 83 during the day. Email left in in-box at end of the day: 201.
2PM Staff Meeting: went well except that the restaurant scheduled for the company party burned down.
SPP work: CL44 battlegroup articles. DNG review. Read pages 31-41 of ACTASF1.
SVC work: reviewed blog schedule with Jean. Answered several Mongoose queries. Posted Fed DNG, Posted revised phaser locations for Fed BCH and Fed CA. Answered some FC rules questions. Typed up notes for pages 31-41 ACTASF1 and sent them to Mongoose. Basically, this was another "Visitation of the Mongoose" day when nothing non-Mongoose got done.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Wednesday, September 07, 2011 - 07:38 pm: Edit

MY DAY: 7 Sept (Wednesday) 2011
Got to the office at 11am after another business school class. Weather: 68F, total overcast.
Daily Routine: Dinosaur list: big crocodile. BBS: 21. Forum: 9. Out box: 46. APOD: unusual star with no heavy elements. Web crawl completed at 3pm. Lunch: chicken and veggies at Cheddarís. Sent to Joel: new logo. Read FYEO for today.
Email: Overnight spam 112 plus 100 during the day. Email left in in-box at end of the day: 199.
SPP work: Received borak files, worked on battle groups.
SVC Mongoose work: Reviewed D5W (sent back, center engine is wrong), D5 (sent back, scale is wrong, created and sent them a D5-D7 comparison), and D7 (sent back, phaser arcs are still wrong, created and sent them an arc drawing). I typed up the rest of my ACTASF1 notes and gave the manuscript to SPP.
SVC other work: Did Gorn BFF-SQ. worked on a reserve blog. Got Jeanís reports on Communique 69 so itís good to go.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Thursday, September 08, 2011 - 05:54 pm: Edit

MY DAY: 8 Sept (Thursday) 2011
Got to the office at 11am after Leanna and I ran the weekís business errands. Weather: 81F and 90% cloud cover.
Daily Routine: Dinosaur list: Linhevenator, new troodontid from Inner Mongolia. BBS: 22. Forum: 10. Out box: 50. APOD: Apollo 17 landing site. Jigsawdoku 2:33. Ann Coulter: Amanda Knox (Ann thinks sheís guilty). Web crawl completed at 2:37. Lunch: burger at Chiliís. Sent to Joel: pirates, Jean fixes to Mongoose pages. Read FYEO for today.
Email: Overnight spam 120 plus 69 during the day. Email left in in-box at end of the day: 198.
SPP work: Borak SSD conversions, CL44 battle groups.
SVC work: short day due to errands, monthly haircut, and leaving early for the annual Chamber of Commerce dinner. Worked on blog, typed up notes on ACTA rulebook 41-50, sent Mongoose firing arc diagrams for D5 so they could see the problem.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Saturday, September 10, 2011 - 05:32 pm: Edit

MY DAY: 9 Sept (Friday) 2011
Got to the office at 10:29. Weather: 77F, plenty of clouds.
Daily Routine: Dinosaur list: Propanoplosaurus. BBS: 29. Forum: 11. Out box: 46. APOD: Comet Garradd. Sudoku 2:34. Web crawl completed at 2pm. Lunch: went to Blue Front but the substitute cook botched the BBQ and so I had breakfast instead. Sent to Joel: ships, communqiue. Read FYEO for today. Worked with Steve Petrick on NCL. Industry mailing lists: companies that manufacture game boxes.
Email: Overnight spam 106 plus 72 during the day. Email left in in-box at end of the day: 210.
SPP work: Finished reading ACTASF. Finished converting Borak SSDs to a format we can use. Worked on battle groups
SVC work: Sent Sandrine more belly firing arc photos of the D5. Reviewed and posted Fed NCL. Did a word origin blog for Jeanís reserve stack. Reviewed and posted F5. Finished Communique #69. (A lot more Mongoose ships showed up but Jean can only process one or two a day so thereís no reason to ignore my other work to do them right away.) I worked on Fed Admiral.
Leanna had the whole crew down to our house for supper and we played a boardgame called DUST which is sort of like RISK. Steve Cole beat Steve Petrick 45 to 44, although we found out every time we looked in the rulebook that Joel (who explained the rules to us) got most of them wrong and most of what weíd done up to that point we didnít do right, but we still had fun.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Monday, September 12, 2011 - 02:24 pm: Edit

MY DAY: 10 Sept (Saturday) 2011
Got to the office at 3pm. Weather: 78F, some clouds.
Daily Routine: Dinosaur list: Olorotitan. BBS: 25. Forum: 14. Out box: 46. APOD: NASA propaganda having nothing to do with astronomy. Web crawl completed at 4:24. Lunch: ribs. Sent to Joel: pirates. Read FYEO for today.
Email: Overnight spam 113 plus 5 during the day. Email left in in-box at end of the day: 214.
SPP work: Took the day off.
SVC work: I came in briefly and did the THIS WEEK blog.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Monday, September 12, 2011 - 02:24 pm: Edit

MY DAY: 11 Sept (Sunday) 2011
I spent the day at home resting. I didnít feel well most of the day (Ramses did not get his walk) but was better by Monday morning. Leanna used her new crock pot to cook a big roast but I could barely eat any of it. APOD: Earth may have more gold than it should due to a neutron star explosion ten billion years ago. Dinolist: Eufalconimorphae.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Monday, September 12, 2011 - 08:51 pm: Edit

MY DAY: 12 Sept (Monday) 2011
Got to the office at 9:15am. Weather: 77F and mostly clear.
Daily Routine: Dinosaur list: Siamodon nimngami, a new ornithopod from Thailand. BBS: 33. Forum: 15. Out box: 45. APOD: zinc on Mars. Sudoku 2:45. Web crawl completed at 12:41. Lunch: fruit, eggs, cottage cheese at Malcombs. Sent to Joel: demotivationals. Read FYEO for yesterday and today.
Email: Overnight spam 177 plus 70 during the day. Email left in in-box at end of the day: 221.
Marketing Monday: Jean asked me to do something but I had to get info from Leanna who had left by the time I got that far.
SPP work: Reviewed scenarios from Forknall and pointed out why they arenít usable. Fixed MW battle groups. Omega questions. Reviewed zombie scenario.
SVC work: Finished LDR ePack #1 with phone report from Jean. Worked on reviewing Mongoose rulebook. Did the solitaire (zombie) scenario for SF Marines. Worked a bit on the CL44 fiction. I did Jayís updates to 12 pages of Fed Admiral. Finished typing up notes on the ACTASF draft.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Tuesday, September 13, 2011 - 07:23 pm: Edit

MY DAY: 13 Sept (Tuesday) 2011
Got to the office at 9:30. Weather: 72F, lots of clouds.
Daily Routine: Dinosaur list: Dysalotosaurus. BBS: 28. Forum: 6. Out box: 45. APOD: Orion nebula. Jigsawdoku 2:48. Web crawl completed at 1:30. Lunch: grilled chicken, Calico. Sent to Joel: ships. Read FYEO for today.
Email: Overnight spam 89 plus 100 during the day. Email left in in-box at end of the day: 225.
2PM Staff Meeting: Mike Sparks was issued his power cutter operator certificate.
SPP work: Helped with the Zombie scenario. Checked the E4. Finished the last battle group. Reviewed Borak SSDs.
SVC work: Checked the E4. Spent most of the day playtesting the Zombies vs Marines scenario.
Marketing Monday: I did descriptions for the next three Captainís Logs so they can go on E23.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Wednesday, September 14, 2011 - 08:51 pm: Edit

MY DAY: 14 Sept (Wednesday) 2011
Got to the office at 11:45. Weather: 72F, a few clouds. The case study in this morningís business class was a woman who owned a business, bought a second location, and (unable to find a manager) put her husband in charge. He knew nothing about the industry and hated the job, and the result was disaster as the employee got lazy and sloppy. Itís a military adage that "an army of rabbits led by a lion will beat an army of lions led by a rabbit." The reason that is true is because the followiers will pick up the spirit and habits of the leader.
Daily Routine: Dinosaur list: Utahraptors. BBS: 24. Forum: 10. Out box: 46. APOD: bubble nebula. Sudoku 2:43. Web crawl completed at 1:25. Lunch: fish at LJS. Starlist 45419. Sent to Joel: ships. Read FYEO for today.
Email: Overnight spam 133 plus 61 during the day. Email left in in-box at end of the day: 233.
Customer Request Wednesday: Did some counters somebody wanted.
SPP work: Reviewed 2500 SparrowHawk and DNG, did a blog, playtested Marines, finished battle group articles, send Jean some CapLog pages she wanted to use for Friday Funnies.
SVC work: Reviewed 2500 SparrowHawk and DNG, posted, sent to Jean and the web page. Wrote a description for CL18 to have it ready for when Jean wants it.
Game Night: Played another game of DUST. Unfortunate combinations of cards and positions sent my Mech Armee Africka into Brazil instead of Saudi Arabia, destroying Petrick, leaving Joel to conquer Asia, and Mike Sparks ended up winning the game with exactly 40 points after 5 turns.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Thursday, September 15, 2011 - 06:15 pm: Edit

FAIR WARNING: Leanna and I are taking the weekend off for our 34th anniversary. I plan to leave early on Friday, arrive late on Monday, and not answer the phone (or be in the office) in between.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Thursday, September 15, 2011 - 06:17 pm: Edit

MY DAY: 15 Sept (Thursday) 2011
Got to the office at 10:30. Weather: 50F, total cloud cover, been raining since 8pm last night.
Daily Routine: Dinosaur list: bird extinctions at KT boundary. BBS: 17. Forum: 8. Out box: 46. APOD: spiral galaxy. Sudoku 2:25. Ann Coulter: programs created to solve imaginary problems only benefit government employees. Web crawl completed at 1pm. Lunch: roast beef at Furrís. Starlist 17404. Sent to Joel: zombie playtest photos, marines page info. Read FYEO for today. Exercise: walk 11 min.
New on e23: Captainís Log #13
Email: Overnight spam 92 plus 55 during the day. Email left in in-box at end of the day: 212.
SPP work: Worked on Borak, reviewed Mongoose ships, discussed problem in SFM zombie scenario, worked on CL44 monster article, made SVC go for a walk.
SVC work: Compiled notes on 2500 NCA, NCL, DW, F5, E4, SparrowHawk, DNG; sent them to Mongoose. Updated the Zombie Apocalypse scenario for SFM. Worked with Joel to create the new Marines page on the website.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Friday, September 16, 2011 - 06:45 pm: Edit

MY DAY: 16 Sept (Friday) 2011
Got to the office at 10:30. Weather: 52F, cloudy, rainish. There is a major fire a mile away at the railroad yard. Two chemical tanker train cars burned with flames over 50 feet high.
The reprinted F&E maps came in today and the new boxes are due Wednesday so that will be back in stock.
Check the Whatís New page as Joel has added a lot to it.
Daily Routine: Dinosaur list: fossil feathers. BBS: 28. Forum: 10. Out box: 44. APOD: not astronomy. Sudoku 2:30. Web crawl completed at 1:36pm. Lunch: BBQ at blue front (back to being great this time). Sent to Joel: C8 to upload, hunt for asteroid links. Read FYEO for today. Exercise: walk, 7 minutes.
Email: Overnight spam 83 plus 66 during the day. Email left in in-box at end of the day: 214.
SPP work: Reviewed C8 and CC. Worked on Borak all day.
SVC work: Checked the Mongoose C8 and CC. Worked with Joel on Marines page. Meeting with Leanna to review production figures for the next three months. I did Mondayís THIS WEEK blog since I wonít be here on Saturday.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Monday, September 19, 2011 - 03:23 pm: Edit

MY DAY: 17 Sept (Saturday) 2011
Leanna and I took the day off to celebrate our 34th anniversary. We drove into town for a romantic lunch and some shopping, and watched eight episodes of TUDORS. APOD = Orion nebula closeup. Dinolist: Rconstructing DNA

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Monday, September 19, 2011 - 03:23 pm: Edit

MY DAY: 18 Sept (Sunday) 2011
Leanna and I continued the celebration, watching more episodes of TUDORS, and doing some stuff around the house. I spent some time finding some lost things, and Leanna set up the wireless network for our ROKU and discovered that our house in the boondocks is in wireless range of five other wireless networks (apparently in neighboring houses). APOD = Solar surface. Dinolist: Talos sampsoni, new North American Late Cretaceous troodontid.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Tuesday, September 20, 2011 - 07:39 pm: Edit

MY DAY: 19 Sept (Monday) 2011
Got to the office at 11am. Weather: 63F and partly cloudy.
Daily Routine: Dinosaur list: Basal Theropod Arm Position. BBS: 49. Forum: 20. Out box: 46. APOD: south pole of Vesta. Web crawl completed at 3:08. Lunch: Cattle Call. Sent to Joel: tasks. Read FYEO for Saturday, Sunday, and Today.
Email: Three days of spam 352 plus 43 during the day. Email left in in-box at end of the day: 231. Jean reports that Facebook is up to 945 friends and very active as people finally realized that they can get a campaign ribbon just for a meaningful comment.
SPP work: Borak SSDs. Platinum hat rules questions. Checked Mongoose NCL #2.
SVC work: Set blog schedule with Jean. Compiled notes on the Klingon C8 & Fed CC and sent them to Sandrine. Sent Mongoose a ton of Fed background stuff they wanted. Reviewed new Fed CA engine spacing. Checked NCL#2 and posted it.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Tuesday, September 20, 2011 - 07:39 pm: Edit

MY DAY: 20 Sept (Tuesday) 2011
Got to the office at 10:15. Weather: 71F and clear.
Daily Routine: Dinosaur list: Spinosaurus video. BBS: 26. Forum: 11. Out box: 43. APOD: Kepler 16b. Jigsawdoku 2:56. Web crawl completed at 12:17. Lunch: CFS at Calico. Sent to Joel: flower photo. Read FYEO for today.
Email: Overnight spam 105 plus 56 during the day. Email left in in-box at end of the day: 233.
2PM Staff Meeting: went smoothly.
SPP work: Worked on Borak and Mongoose ships.
SVC work: Reviewed Mongoose NCA and DW. Reviewed NCL changes. Went over starmada new product schedule.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation