Archive through November 09, 2011

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Company-Conventions-Stores-Ideas: About the Company: Company weblog: Archive through November 09, 2011
By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Sunday, October 16, 2011 - 06:26 pm: Edit

MY DAY: 16 Oct (Sunday) 2011
Got to the office at 1:30. Weather: 83F and clear.
Daily Routine: Dinosaur list: tiny armed theropods. BBS: 32. Forum: 16. Out box: 45. APOD: transit of venus. Web crawl completed at 4:53. Lunch: Leanna cooked turkey. Sent to Joel: four ships. Read FYEO for yesterday and today.
Email: Overnight spam 123 plus 15 during the day. Email left in in-box at end of the day: 275.
Primary work: Did the THIS WEEK blog. Posted the new Tholian CA; General mobile base, large freighter, heavy freighter. Status 68.2%

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Monday, October 17, 2011 - 06:45 pm: Edit

MY DAY: 17 Oct (Monday) 2011
Got to the office at 9am. Weather: 50F, cloudy.
Daily Routine: Dinosaur list: tiny-armed theropods. BBS: 29. Forum: 2. Out box: 43. APOD: gravity lens. Jigsawdoku 2:21, a new record. Web crawl completed at 11am. Lunch: salad with meat at Cattle Call. Sent to Joel: ships, pirates. Read FYEO for today. Worked with Steve Petrick on Mongoose ships. Exercise: took Ramses hunting Sunday night.
Email: Overnight spam 101 plus 103 during the day. Email left in in-box at end of the day: 279. Charles Chapel scored his 119th Pirate Kill.
Marketing Monday: worked on the ad pages for ACTASF1 with Leanna. Got confirmation from GGIC.
SPP work: Mongoose ships. Finished the Borak books and gave them to SVC to read. Updated two BS SSDs (9/48).
SVC work: Posted 4 new ships (Free Trader, BATS, APT; Tholian DD). Did reports on 15 ships (Gorn BC, CL, DD, BDD, DN, CM, HDD; Romulan condor; General small freighter, large freighter; Kzinti FF, BC, BCH, DN; Tholian PC). Approved 7 ships (small freighter; Gorn BC, CL, DN, DD, BDD; Kzinti CL). Status: 78% finished.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Tuesday, October 18, 2011 - 08:22 pm: Edit

MY DAY: 18 Oct (Tuesday) 2011
Got to the office at 9:25. Weather: 41F and cloudy.
Daily Routine: Dinosaur list: Saurasapiens. BBS: 29. Forum: 13. Out box: 48. APOD: NA. Jigsawdoku 2:26. Web crawl completed at 1pm. Lunch: grilled chicken. Sent to Joel: ships. Read FYEO for today. Industry mailing lists: retail game market.
Email: Overnight spam 109 plus 100 during the day. Email left in in-box at end of the day: 277. Phone call from a very nice retailer who was very unhappy with a wholesaler and wanted to buy direct from us (and we shipped his order today).
2PM Staff Meeting: 30 minutes. Reviewed status, prepared for high school intern, planned wolf trip, reviewed advertising.
SPP work: Reviewing ships. Rules questions.
SVC work: Posted re-scaled Gorn HDD/CM, large freighter phaser fix, Kzinti FF disruptor-tractor fix, Kzinti BCH wing phaser fix, Kzinti BC belly phaser fix, Rom Condor rear phaser fix, new Gorn BCF, new Rom RoyalHawk. Approved (6) Condor, Kzinti BC, Kzinti FF, large freighter, Kzinti BCH, Gorn HDD. Returned as not approvable: Gorn CM, new Gorn BCH. Did reports (13) on Rom RH; Kzinti DN, DW, CM, NCA; General APT, FT, MB; Orion CR, LR, SAL; Tholian PC, DD.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Wednesday, October 19, 2011 - 06:20 pm: Edit

MY DAY: 19 Oct (Wednesday) 2011
Got to the office at 9am. Weather: 43F and cloudy.
Daily Routine: Dinosaur list: new Archy found. BBS: 25. Forum: 16. Out box: 51. APOD: meteor trails. Web crawl completed at 4:45. Lunch: chicken strips at Salt Grass. Sent to Joel: ships. Read FYEO for today.
Email: Overnight spam 94 plus 90 during the day. Email left in in-box at end of the day: 284.
Customer Request Wednesday: there was no time.
SPP work: 2500 ships. Upgraded 4 basic set SSDs (13/48).
SVC work: Reviewed and posted: scale fix on Gorn CM, phaser fix on heavy freighter, drone ports on APT, reports on Gorn BCF, new Gorn BCH, fixes to FT, new Kzinti BCF.
Approved (15): Sandrine version of RoyalHawk; FT, APT, heavy freighter, BATS, MB; Gorn BCF; Kzinti DW, CM, NCA, DN; Tholian PC, DD; Orion LR, CR.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Thursday, October 20, 2011 - 08:22 pm: Edit

MY DAY: 20 Oct (Thursday) 2011
Got to the office at 9:15. Weather: 43F and cloudy.
Daily Routine: Dinosaur list: BBC planet dino. BBS: 26. Forum: 14. Out box: 43. APOD: Comet Garradd. Jigsawdoku 2:42. Ann Coulter: Owl party is a mob. Web crawl completed at 11am. Lunch: CFS at Tyler. Sent to Joel: last ship fixes. Read FYEO for today.
Email: Overnight spam 102 plus 143 during the day. Email left in in-box at end of the day: 295.
SPP work: Final mongoose ships. Borak. Four updated SSDs for basic set.
SVC work: Approved the last of the ships (excepting one minor error she made fixing the Kzinti BCF). Sent Mongoose the Kzinti background and finished writing the Orion background.
NOTE: Tomorrow I leave in the morning for the annual wolf trip, carrying hundreds of pounds of cow innards to the sanctuary in New Mexico.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Friday, October 21, 2011 - 11:28 am: Edit

MY DAY: 21 Oct (Friday) 2011
Got to the office at 9:45. Weather: 58F and clear.
Daily Routine: Dinosaur list: Varanus komodoensis. BBS: 21. Forum: 8. Out box: 55. APOD: clouds of perseus. Web crawl completed at 10:25. Lunch: On the road.
Email: Overnight spam 92 plus 6 during the brief time I was here.
SPP work: Borak MSC, Basic Set SSDs. Checked a special extra ship for mongoose.
SVC work: Left for the annual wolf trip.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Friday, October 21, 2011 - 11:29 am: Edit

I will leave in a few minutes to go see my wolves.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Monday, October 24, 2011 - 12:23 pm: Edit

MY DAY: 22 Oct (Wolf Day) 2011
We got up, had a lousy free breakfast at the hotel, picked up a box lunch at a restaurant, and drove south. We ate the box lunches at the El Morro National Monument and arrived at the Wolf Sanctuary at noon. I spent two solid hours cutting beef heart and liver into one-pound slices. The European interns wanted some of the stuff for their own supper. Then we set up an assembly line and allowed anyone who wanted to do so to pack a pumpkin for a wolf. Leanna had bought me a black butcherís apron to keep the blood off of my clothes, and I wore my black beret from Origins. I have a speech about how wolf packs divide up the meat. (Leanna prohibited me from giving the speech with a French accent.) I told a few things about wolves and ended up giving the formal introduction to Leyton (head of the sanctuary) who said no one had ever given him an introduction before and he liked it. We took meat-stuffed pumpkins to the wolves who put on a great performance for the crowd of donors. The fundraiser was a huge success for Wild Spirit. I had a nice BBQ supper with the head of the Grants Public Library, who acts and talks and thinks just like Jean in oh so many ways (and even knew what an Oxford Comma is and hates computer-generated cataloging). We then drove back (in the dark) to Grants (white knuckle mountain driving that puts Ice Road Truckers to shame) and jumped in the hot tub to soak out the soreness from all of the activities.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Monday, October 24, 2011 - 12:23 pm: Edit

MY DAY: 23 Oct (Sunday) 2011
We had a nice breakfast at the First Street Café in Grants, a very nice lunch at the Silver Moon Café in Santa Rosa, and overall a pleasant drive home. Isis and Ramses greeted us warmly. Ramses then pawed the refrigerator, knowing that any time Mommy and Daddy are out of town, he gets a bowl of shrimp. So, we thawed out shrimp for both of them, watched some television, and drifted off to sleep.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Monday, October 24, 2011 - 09:06 pm: Edit

MY DAY: 24 Oct (Monday) 2011
Got to the office at 9:30. Weather: 66F and clear.
Daily Routine: Dinosaur list: T-rex weight. BBS: 47. Forum: 17. Out box: 43. APOD: waterfall nebula. Web crawl completed at 2:10. Lunch: BBQ at Dyerís. Starlist 63119. Sent to Joel: update. Read FYEO for 21-24 October.
Email: Four days of spam 370 plus 64 during the day. Email left in in-box at end of the day: 314. Another game company used our artist gallery to contact Mark Evans about art they need.
Marketing Monday: Didnít do any.
Mike and Joel installed more of the new storage racks in the stock room, getting ready for new Mongoose products.
SPP work: wrote Borak history, updated two basic set SSDs, answered rules questions.
SVC work: I mostly spent the day cleaning up the stuff I did not do when I was finishing Mongoose ships last week. I did the THIS WEEK blog which had to go up today, and two reserve blogs, and a post about the OWS bunch. I finished up the Orion background with Jean. Sent Mongoose more files they wanted.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Wednesday, October 26, 2011 - 06:26 pm: Edit

MY DAY: 25 Oct (Tuesday) 2011
Got to the office at 10am. Weather: 66F. clear.
Daily Routine: Dinosaur list: Aurorazhdarcho, new azhdar-choid pterosaur from Late Jurassic, Germany. BBS: 12. Forum: 3. Out box: 45. APOD: heart nebula. Jigsawdoku 2:35. Web crawl completed at 10:49. Lunch: fish at Calico. Starlist 17050. Sent to Joel: Brecon page. Read FYEO for today.
Email: Overnight spam 70 plus 73 during the day. Email left in in-box at end of the day: 303.
1:30PM Staff Meeting: We may not upload any more SSD books given the pathetic sales of Basic Set. (Years of people begging for them, and where are the sales?) We will reconsider this after SPP finishes the update, but sales of the updated version will have to be far higher to justify the cost of the updates.
SPP work: Proofread 20 pages of ACTASF1. Updated four Fed SSDs from Basic Set. Worked on finishing Borak.
SVC work: Worked all day reviewing the ACTASF1 rulebook and writing a report on it. (I did take out a few minutes to review and approve the Borak history that Petrick created, which was vastly better than the version I wrote.)

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Wednesday, October 26, 2011 - 06:26 pm: Edit

MY DAY: 26 Oct (Wednesday) 2011
Got to the office at noon. Weather: 47F, cloudy.
Daily Routine: Dinosaur list: Archaeopteryx holotype. BBS: 22. Forum: 3. Out box: 42. APOD: Titan and Dione. Jigsawdoku 2:39. Web crawl completed at 12:31. Lunch: LSJ. Sent to Joel: stuff for HF. Staff meeting to get ready for intern tomorrow.
Email: Overnight spam 102 plus 49 during the day. Email left in in-box at end of the day: 309.
SPP work: Read the rest of ACTASF1. Did two Fed SSDs from Basic Set. Checked CB ship card.
SVC work: I did the squadron scale Fed CB and sent it to SPP for review. I spent most of last night reading ACTASF1 and all of today typing up reports about it.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Thursday, October 27, 2011 - 07:20 pm: Edit

MY DAY: 27 Oct (Thursday) 2011
Got to the office at 10:10. Weather: 31F and snowing.
Daily Routine: Dinosaur list: Archaeopteryx. BBS: 24. Forum: 3. Out box: 49. APOD: star cluster. Jigsawdoku 3:15. Ann Coulter: wasted stimulus. Web crawl completed at 11:10am. Lunch: CFS at Tyler. Starlist 77581. Sent to Joel: work orders. Read FYEO for yesterday and today.
Email: Overnight spam 106 plus 114 during the day. Email left in in-box at end of the day: 310.
We got our high school intern today (Charles Diaz). Joel showed him how to make a demotivational (he made one on his own, his first published work), how a website update works, and how to do a booster cover. I gave him the normal employment interview, and spent some time speaking with his mother who came by to make sure her son was in a wholesome environment.
Customer Request Wednesday: I guess I needed a mental break because I spent most of the productive work day on that sheet of 4th generation counters for the ships in CapLog.
SPP work: worked on backlog. Updated two Fed SSDs.
SVC work: Replied to the Mongoose reply to the ACTASF rulebook review.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Saturday, October 29, 2011 - 08:58 pm: Edit

MY DAY: 28 Oct (Friday) 2011
Got to the office at 9:15. Weather: 32F and cloudy.
Daily Routine: Dinosaur list: new huge theropod tooth found in South Africa. BBS: 16. Forum: 3. Out box: 44. APOD: Stupid. Jigsawdoku 2:53. Web crawl completed at 2:38. Lunch: BBQ at Blue Front.
Email: Overnight spam 116 plus 40 during the day. Email left in in-box at end of the day: 314.
SPP work: Worked on CL44 and did two Basic Set SSDs.
SVC work: I did TalkShoe last night. I gotta figure out a way to schedule appearances so people know to call in. I worked mostly on the CL44 fiction story.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Saturday, October 29, 2011 - 08:59 pm: Edit

MY DAY: 29 Oct (Saturday) 2011
Got to the office at 11:30. Weather: 53F, mostly clear.
Daily Routine: Dinosaur list: Gastric pellets. BBS: 15. Forum: 4. Out box: 42. APOD: spiral galaxy 3370. Jigsawdoku 2:42. Web crawl completed at 12:55. Lunch: burger at Chiliís. Starlist 30907.
Email: Overnight spam 102 plus 47 during the day. Email left in in-box at end of the day: 322.
SPP work: Worked on Basic Set SSD updates all day. He hacks only eleven pages of completing that project.
SVC work: I wrote the THIS WEEK blog and worked motly on the story for CL44.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Wednesday, November 02, 2011 - 07:22 pm: Edit

MY DAY: 30 Oct (Sunday) 2011
Got to the office at 5pm. Weather: 55F and clear.
Daily Routine: Dinosaur list: Jurassic Park movie rumors. BBS: 15. Forum: 4. Out box: 41. APOD: Mars. Web crawl done at 5:18. Lunch: Leanna cooked ham. Starlist South Carolina. Read FYEO for 28-29-30. Exercise: I took Ramses hunting.
Email: Overnight spam 173 + 23 during the time I was here.
Primary work: I just came in for an hour to clean up my desk and get ready for Monday.

MY DAY: 31 Oct (Monday) 2011
Got to the office at 10:30. Weather: 54F and clear.
Daily Routine: Dinosaur list: New Aeolosaurus from Brazil. BBS: 6. Forum: 2. Out box: 42. APOD: Cepheus ghost nebula. Jigsawdoku 2:13, a new record. Web crawl completed at 12:53. Lunch: chicken at SaltGrass. Starlist 80522. Sent to Joel: updates to mongoose pages. Read FYEO for today.
Email: Overnight spam 142 plus 72 during the day. Email left in in-box at end of the day: 313.
Marketing Monday: I wrote a blog about the schedule.
SPP work: Updated two basic set SSDs and formatted term paper files.
SVC work: Talked with Mongoose about schedule. Reviewed latest rulebook draft. Worked on CL44 fiction story.

MY DAY: 1 Nov (Tuesday) 2011
Got to the office at 10:45. Weather: 59F and clear.
Daily Routine: Dinosaur list: Plotopterids. BBS: 19. Forum: 2. Out box: 40. APOD: video. Jigsawdoku 2:19. Web crawl completed at 1:31. Lunch: CFS at Calico. Sent to Joel: Tonyís summary of ACTASF. Read FYEO for today.
Email: Overnight spam 142 plus 80 during the day. Email left in in-box at end of the day: 311. I got 39 spams from Overstock about cheap iPads.
2PM Staff Meeting: Brief.
SPP work: Worked on CL44, term papers, tacnotes.
SVC work: Worked on the CL44 story all day.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Wednesday, November 02, 2011 - 07:23 pm: Edit

MY DAY: 2 Nov (Wednesday) 2011
Got to the office at noon. Weather: 39F, cloudy, windy.
Daily Routine: Dinosaur list: Deinonychosaur from Mongolia. BBS: 26. Forum: 2. Out box: 40. APOD: Wizard nebula. Web crawl done at 3:42. Lunch: chicken at Malcombs.
Email: Overnight spam 211 plus 50 during the day. Email left in in-box at end of the day: 322. I got 65 spams from Overstock about cheap iPads.
Customer Request Wednesday: Approved Norman Dizonís project. Did four Ranger Recognitions after setting up the system to handle those.
Board Meeting: First look at 2012 schedule. X2 seems plausible, Civil Wars unlikely, Marines definitely first in line.
SPP work: Finished the Basic Set SSD update.
SVC work: Reviewed Basic Set SSD book revision and had Petrick add hyphens to Q-ship SSDs. Reviewed Borak and had Petrick revise and combine the two versions of the history. Worked on the CL44 story.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Friday, November 04, 2011 - 01:41 pm: Edit

MY DAY: 3 Nov (Thursday) 2011
Got to the office at 10:22. Weather: 35F and clear.
Daily Routine: Dinosaur list: Protoceratops nest. BBS: 19. Forum: 3. Out box: 40. APOD: nebula. Ann Coulter: why liberals have to destroy Herman Cain. Web crawl completed at 11:44. Lunch: I skipped it. Read FYEO for today.
Email: Overnight spam 149 plus 67 during the day. Email left in in-box at end of the day: 302. Only 34 from Overstock.
SPP work: Got the SFB Basic Set SSD book revision sent to e23 and ready for new physical book production.
SVC work: Did routine stuff for three hours, then went to the dentist for some serious work and did not come back.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Saturday, November 05, 2011 - 06:43 pm: Edit

MY DAY: 4 Nov (Friday) 2011
Got to the office at noon (Dental soreness resulted in no sleep until 4am, woke up at 11am). Weather: 48F and clear.
Daily Routine: Dinosaur list: Saber Toothed squirrel. BBS: 18. Forum: 3. Out box: 42. APOD: Hamburger galaxy. Jigsawdoku 2:47. Web crawl completed at 1:13. Lunch: BBQ at Blue Front. Sent to Joel: photos, medal pages. Read FYEO for today.
Email: Overnight spam 270 plus 72 during the day. Email left in in-box at end of the day: 290. About 46 from Overstock.
SPP work: final revisions to E3. Evaluated a scenario.
SVC work: Worked on the CL44 story.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Saturday, November 05, 2011 - 06:43 pm: Edit

MY DAY: 5 Nov (Saturday) 2011
Got to the office at 11:24. Weather: 52F and clear.
Daily Routine: Dinosaur list: Oviraptorosaurs. BBS: 19. Forum: 5. Out box: 44. APOD: fireworks nebula. Web crawl completed at 5pm. Lunch: pork at Texas Roadhouse.
New on e23: Basic Set SSD Book 2011 Update.
Email: Overnight spam 135 plus 60 during the day. Email in in-box at end of the day: 285. Only 34 from Overstock auction.
SPP work: various customer support projects and CL44.
SVC work: worked on the CL44 story. Wrote the This Week blog. Wrote four blogs for Jean to use when she needs them.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Monday, November 07, 2011 - 08:42 pm: Edit

MY DAY: 6 Nov (Sunday) 2011
I stayed at home all day, curled up in front of the TV with the Friday draft of the ACTASF rulebook, finding only one typo. Dino list about Oviraptorosaurs. APOD: solar video.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Monday, November 07, 2011 - 08:42 pm: Edit

MY DAY: 7 Nov (Monday) 2011
Got to the office at 10:18. Weather: 52F, cloudy & wet.
Daily Routine: Dinosaur list: Giant shield croc from Morocco. BBS: 26. Forum: 10. Out box: 44. APOD: gorgeous starforming region. Jigsawdoku 2:52. Web crawl completed at 1pm. Lunch: BBQ at Dyerís. Starlist Germany. Sent to Joel: pirates ahoy. Read FYEO for 5th-6th-7th. I was unable to go for a walk due to bad weather and a painful injury.
Email: Two days of spam 349 plus 123 during the day. Email left in in-box at end of the day: 281. This includes 106 from Overstock Auction.
Marketing Monday: Reviewed Hailing Frequencies with Jean to updated marketing elements.
SPP work: Collected term paper grades and sent notes to graders who have yet to send grades.
SVC work: Wrote a blog for Jeanís reserve file, did descriptions for the next three issues of Captainís Log, sent Mongoose a typo report on ACTASF. Worked on Communique, adding the two revised ships and creating the two new ones (Fed CB and FFL).

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Wednesday, November 09, 2011 - 08:14 pm: Edit

MY DAY: 8 Nov (Asteroid Bypass Day) 2011
Got to the office at 10:20. Weather: 47F and cloudy. Asteroid YU55 misses Earth by 200,000 miles.
Daily Routine: Dinosaur list: Cuspicephalus, new Jurassic pterosaur from England. BBS: 17. Forum: 5. Out box: 40. APOD: not astronomy. Jigsawdoku 2:29. Web crawl completed at 1:35. Lunch: roast beef at the bowling alley. Starlist 70461. Read FYEO for today.
Email: Overnight spam 154 plus 110 during the day. Email left in in-box at end of the day: 279. This includes 38 from Overstock Auction and 17 from Dish Network.
2PM Staff Meeting: Put the clear plastic Fed DNs on sale.
SPP work: Scenarios for CL44.
SVC work: Worked on Communique 71 and on the CL44 story. Hunting down all of these references is tedious!

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation