Archive through July 06, 2013

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Company-Conventions-Stores-Ideas: About the Company: Company weblog: Archive through July 06, 2013
By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Sunday, June 02, 2013 - 02:54 pm: Edit

MY DAY: 1 June (Saturday) 2013
Got to the office at 10am. Weather: 79F, clear skies.
Daily Routine: Dinosaur list: Bravoceratops. BBS: 23. Forum: 5. Out box: 44. APOD: waste of time. Web crawl completed at 2pm. Lunch: enchiladas at LF. Starlist 46613.
Email: Overnight spam 42 plus 000 during the day. Email left in in-box at end of the day: 709.
SPP, SVC, JES work: CL47. SVC did the THIS WEEK blog.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Thursday, June 06, 2013 - 07:45 pm: Edit

MY DAY: 2 June (Sunday) 2013
Got to the office at 2:20. Weather: 72F, sunny.
Daily Routine: Dinosaur list: children’s books. BBS: 24. Forum: 6. Out box: 44. APOD: not astronomy. Lunch: Leanna cooked roast. Exercise: I took Ramses hunting.
Email: Overnight spam 65 plus 31 during the day. Email left in in-box at end of the day: 702.
SPP, SVC, JES work: CL47. Ended the day 92.7% done.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Thursday, June 06, 2013 - 07:45 pm: Edit

MY DAY: 3 June (Monday) 2013
Got to the office at 9:50. Weather: 72F, clear, some high clouds to the northeast.
Daily Routine: Dinosaur list: Dromaeosaurus. BBS: 26. Forum: 4. Out box: 44. APOD: Mars rover. Jigsawdoku 2:06. Web crawl completed at 2pm. Lunch: ham at Calico. Exercise: physical therapy.
Email: Overnight spam 59 plus 75 during the day. Email left in in-box at end of the day: 704.
SPP, SVC, JES work: CL47. We reached complete book status at 7pm and all went home.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Thursday, June 06, 2013 - 07:46 pm: Edit

MY DAY: 4 June (Tuesday) 2013
Got to the office at 9am. Weather: 78F, clear skies.
Daily Routine: Dinosaur list: eggs. BBS: 31. Forum: 5. Out box: 45. APOD: Orion nebula, gorgeous. Jigsawdoku 2:23. Web crawl completed at 10am. Lunch: Jean fixed sandwiches and salads.
Email: Overnight spam 59 plus 103 during the day. Email left in in-box at end of the day: 717.
SPP, SVC, JES work: CL47. We had a complete proofread (twice) book at 10pm and all went home.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Thursday, June 06, 2013 - 07:46 pm: Edit

MY DAY: 5 June (Wednesday) 2013
Got to the office at 9:30. Weather: 75F, lots of clouds.
Daily Routine: Dinosaur list: articles. BBS: 29. Forum: 3. Out box: 44. APOD: M57 ring nebula, spectacular. Jigsawdoku 2:22. Web crawl completed at 11:05. Lunch: pasta at Cheddar’s. Exercise: physical therapy. I "ran" a whole mile on a non-load-bearing machine.
Email: Overnight spam 69 plus 109 during the day. Email left in in-box at end of the day: 711.
Customer Request Wednesday: See you after Origins.
SPP, SVC, JES work: CL47. Jean and SVC ran the spell check on the whole issue.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Thursday, June 06, 2013 - 07:47 pm: Edit

MY DAY: 6 June (Thursday, D-Day) 2013
Got to the office at 10:30. Weather: 65F, mostly cloudy.
Daily Routine: Dinosaur list: Diandongosaurus. BBS: 28. Forum: 5. Out box: 45. APOD: size of stars. Jigsawdoku 2:45. Ann Coulter: IRS scandal. Web crawl completed at 12:10. Lunch: Jean left sandwich stuff in the refrigerator and told us to help ourselves.
Email: Overnight spam 97 plus 60 during the day. Email left in in-box at end of the day: 704.
Staff Meeting: Focused on Origins preparation.
SPP work: Origins preparation.
JES work: Origins preparation.
SVC work: Getting CL47 and CL47LPE ready for production. Did the THIS WEEK blog to get it out of the way.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Tuesday, June 18, 2013 - 01:58 pm: Edit

MY DAY: 7 June (Friday) 2013
Got to the office at 9:40. Weather: 73F, cloudy.
Daily Routine: Dinosaur list: Nebulasaurus. BBS: 35. Forum: 8. Out box: 44. APOD: Butterfly nebula NGC1602. Jigsawdoku 2:31. Web crawl completed at 11am. Lunch: BBQ at BF. Exercise: Physical therapy.
Email: Overnight spam 95 plus 42 during the day. Email left in in-box at end of the day: 678.
Events: Covers for CL47 arrived and production began.
SPP work: Origins prep.
JES work: Rangers, origins prep.
SVC work: Origins Prep.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Tuesday, June 18, 2013 - 01:59 pm: Edit

MY DAY: 8 June (Saturday) 2013
Got to the office at 10:30. Weather: 80F, few clouds.
Daily Routine: Dinosaur list: Sulcusuchus. BBS: 27. Forum: 5. Out box: 44. APOD: craters in moon. Jigsawdoku 2:01, a new lifetime record. Web crawl completed at 2pm. Lunch: chicken at Malcomb’s.
Email: Overnight spam 64 plus 70 during the day.
JES, LMC, SPP, SVC work: Origins prep.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Tuesday, June 18, 2013 - 01:59 pm: Edit

MY DAY: 9 June (Sunday) 2013
Got to the office at 12:40. Weather: 83F.
Daily Routine: BBS: 27. Forum: 8. Out box: 43. APOD: Auroras. Web crawl completed at 2pm. Lunch: turkey at Furr’s. Starlist 97424, 94550, 86334, 37160. 60544, 50327. Exercise: Took Ramses on a long patrol of the kingdom, during which he chased a bunny and drove Yip back over the border.
Email: Overnight spam 67 plus 2 during the day.
SPP: Took the day off to rest as he does most driving.
JES, LMC, SVC, Mike work: Origins prep.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Tuesday, June 18, 2013 - 02:01 pm: Edit

THE ORIGINS TRIP
===
MY DAY: 10 June (Monday, Origins trip) 2013
We picked up the rental car, brought it to the office, and loaded it except for things like the snack cooler that don’t need to sit in a hot car. We then went and had a good lunch, loaded the last items, and then left about noon. We drove to Tulsa and had supper at Cracker Barrel (Jean’s favorite) and then drove on to Joplin and spent the night.
Leanna and Mike worked on orders and inventory.
===
MY DAY: 11 June (Tuesday, Origins trip) 2013
SVC, SPP, and JES continued the drive, had BBQ at Sweetwater, and reached Columbus very late at night.
The F&E guys were already on site and starting to play.
===
MY DAY: 12 June (Wednesday, Origins trip) 2013
Steve Cole and Jean Sexton set up the booth. Steve Petrick set up the event space. About 3:30 there was a transformer explosion and a small contained fire and everybody stood outside in the heat for four hours.
The F&E guys continued to play.
We had the singalong at 8pm and handed out pre-orders.
===
MY DAY: 13 June (Thursday, Origins trip) 2013
First day in the booth was about normal. Events were pretty much dead except for F&E.
===
MY DAY: 14 June (Friday, Origins trip) 2013
A typical day in the booth. Events remained dead except for F&E.
===
MY DAY: 15 June (Saturday, Origins trip) 2013
Huge crowd of non-gaming lookers that did not spend money made for an incredibly dull booth day.
===
MY DAY: 16 June (Sunday, Father’s Day, Origins trip) 2013
The seminar was dead (two people showed up), events were over, and most people had gone home the night before. GAMA botched the parking lot plan but changed it when I complained and we were able to leave on time and reach Missouri. Having Jean to share the driving was a Godsend.
====
MY DAY: 17 June (Monday, Origins trip) 2013
Very long day of driving but we got home at 9:30, unloaded the minivan, and went home.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Tuesday, June 18, 2013 - 02:01 pm: Edit

This Week at ADB: 9-16 June 2013
This was of the Origins trip. Jean and the two Steves left on Monday at noon, the earliest departure ever, driving to Joplin on Monday night and reaching Columbus very late on Tuesday. The Steves pranked Jean repeatedly on the trip, e.g., convincing her that Indian tribes would fire flaming arrows at the car when crossing their reservation in Oklahoma. Jean responded by inventing "the whanger" which she used to smack the skulls of the Steves in the front seat when they acted up. It was great having Jean in the car as this cut down on the amount of driving the Steves had to do, but when she was driving she kept trying to stop at antique malls and Cracker Barrel restaurants.
Origins was good as we saw a lot of old friends, bought a couple of new zombie games, made valuable connections to new production sources, and made the sales quota despite a smaller crowd that just would not spend money. The fire in the building on Wednesday at least made this year memorable.
The show is clearly changing (and not for the better) with more and more booths being non-gaming stuff (t-shirts, sculpture, jewelry, art, costumes, backpacks, and whatever else). Tournaments are dead at Origins, and board wargaming might as well be dead (except for F&E). We will probably shift to non-tournament miniatures events next year. We had more people show up to play GURPS than show up to play SFB and FC combined. GAMA is selling cheap Saturday tickets to non-gamers to artificially inflate the numbers without helping game sales, but this does tend to attract more non-gaming booths.
The weather this week was pleasant, except for huge thunderstorms Sunday night that caused major damage; the roof of the ADB Building sprung a minor leak. The spam storm mostly remained at something under 200 per day.
New on e23 this week was the old TFG game ROBOTS!
Leanna kept orders and accounting up to date.
Mike kept orders going out, rebuilt the inventory, and managed customer service.
=============

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Saturday, June 22, 2013 - 08:39 pm: Edit

MY DAY: 18 June (Tuesday) 2013
Got to the office at 9:50 after turning in the rental car. Weather: clear.
Daily Routine: Dinosaur list: eggshells. BBS: 25. Forum (for the week): 16. Out box: 45. APOD: not astronomy. Jigsawdoku 2:44. Web crawl completed at 2:45. Lunch: chicken and pasta at Cheddars. Exercise: last physical therapy session.
Email: A whole week of spam 1080 plus 13 during the day. Email left in in-box at end of the day: 701.
SPP, JES, SVC work: Catching up from Origins.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Saturday, June 22, 2013 - 08:40 pm: Edit

MY DAY: 19 June (Wednesday) 2013
Got to the office at 12:20 after the Origins Victory Dinner. Weather: 69F, cloudy, windy.
Daily Routine: Dinosaur list: Aetosauria. BBS: 29. Forum: 3. Out box: 43. APOD: worthless skyline photo, pretty but not useful. Lunch: steak at Green Chili Willi’s.
Email: Overnight spam 105 plus 21 during the day.
Everybody work: Origins stuff, inventory returned products, put away display stuff, etc. Jean spent two hours on her car insurance, the first step in satisfying Texas Passport and Immigration Control.

MY DAY: 20 June (Thursday) 2013
Got to the office at 10:28. Weather: 76F, mostly clear.
Daily Routine: Dinosaur list: Pachyrhinosaurus. BBS: 33. Forum: 5. Out box: 45. APOD: galaxy 3628. Jigsawdoku 2:19. Ann Coulter: radicalized Americans turn out to be immigrants from radical countries. Web crawl completed at 12:48. Lunch: breakfast at McDonald’s. Exercise: I got up early and took Ramses for a 30 minute bunny hunt.
Email: Overnight spam 71 plus 36 during the day.
SPP work: Origins recovery & reconstitution.
JES work: Marketing, proofreading.
SVC work: Origins recovery & reconstitution.

MY DAY: 21 June (Friday) 2013
Got to the office at noon. Weather: 72F, about 50% clouds.
Daily Routine: Dinosaur list: avian wing digits. BBS: 33. Forum: 5. Out box: 45. APOD: worthless. Jigsawdoku 2:12. Web crawl completed at 2:23. Lunch: BBQ at BF.
Email: Overnight spam 88 plus 17 during the day.
SPP work: Origins recovery & reconstitution.
JES work: Marketing, proofreading.
SVC work: Mostly took the day off (at my desk) to rest.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Saturday, June 22, 2013 - 08:42 pm: Edit

MY DAY: 22 June (Saturday, Barbarossa Day) 2013
Got to the office at 10:30. Weather: 73F, mostly clear.
Daily Routine: Dinosaur list: cretaceous. BBS: 33. Forum: 3. Out box: 44. APOD: useless. Jigsawdoku 2:26. Lunch: Pizza.
Email: Overnight spam 38 plus 20 during the day.
Events: Hitler invades Russia, 1941.
JES work: Facebook, marketing.
SPP work: Module C6.
SVC work: Fighter Ops counters, CL47 Supplemental File.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Friday, June 28, 2013 - 10:55 am: Edit

MY DAY: 23 June (Sunday) 2013
Got to the office at 3:30. Weather: 95F, one or two clouds.
Daily Routine: Dinosaur list: Rhamphodactylus. BBS: 26. Forum: 7. Out box: 44. APOD: surface of Venus. Lunch: Leanna cooked turkey. Target shooting: Zombie clown target destroyed. Exercise: Took Ramses hunting last night and this morning.
Email: Overnight spam 36 plus 9 during the day.
SPP work: Took the day off.
JES work: Took the day off.
SVC work: Came in for a couple of hours to clear spam.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Friday, June 28, 2013 - 10:55 am: Edit

MY DAY: 24 June (Monday) 2013
Got to the office at 9:45. Weather: 77F, cloudy.
Daily Routine: Dinosaur list: JP4. BBS: 24. Forum: 2. Out box: 44. APOD: porpoise galaxy. Jigsawdoku 2:21. Web crawl completed at 11am. Lunch: Olive Garden. Starlist 98030. Target shooting: zombie clowns must die.
Email: Overnight spam 48 plus 42 during the day. Email left in in-box at end of the day: 714.
SPP work: Took the day off.
JES work: Facebook, Twitter, Romulan ePack #2. Jean got through Texas Passport Control and is now legally in the state.
SVC work: Caught up on dinosaur stuff from Origins time period. Made changes to CL47 Supplemental File. Made changes to Romulan ePack #2. Made fixes to CL47LPE. I had a dentist appointment (teeth cleaning, exam said all is ok).

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Friday, June 28, 2013 - 10:56 am: Edit

MY DAY: 25 June (Tuesday) 2013
Got to the office at 9:40. Weather: 78F, mostly cloudy. By 2pm it was 102F.
Daily Routine: Dinosaur list: JP4. BBS: 24. Forum: 3. Out box: 45. APOD: surface of Mars. Jigsawdoku 2:12. Web crawl completed at 11:30. Lunch: Jean fixed us all a healthy salad. Target shooting: zombie clowns are fun to shoot.
Email: Overnight spam 58 plus 48 during the day. Email left in in-box at end of the day: 717.
SPP work: Three Paravian SSDs.
JES work: Got the license plates put on her car. Worked on social media, proofreading, etc.
SVC work: Leanna cancelled my schedule to have me do a new PDF of an old book to replace a corrupted file. I rounded up everything Joel needs to do HF remotely.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Friday, June 28, 2013 - 10:56 am: Edit

MY DAY: 26 June (Wednesday) 2013
Got to the office at 10:30. Weather: 79F, mostly clear. By mid-afternoon it hit 103F.
Daily Routine: Dinosaur list: Pterosaur tracks. BBS: 33. Forum: 5. Out box: 45. APOD: Andromeda. Jigsawdoku 2:20. Web crawl completed at 2pm. Lunch: turkey at PCS.
Email: Overnight spam 51 plus 50 during the day. Email left in in-box at end of the day: 726.
Staff Meeting: Reviewed plans and assignments.
JES work: Customer Service, blogs, Hailing Frequencies.
SVC work: Sent Jean the convention letter so she can take over convention support. Wrote description so Romulan ePack #2 can be uploaded. Sent Romulan ePack #2 and CL47SF PDFs to Leanna for upload.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Tuesday, July 02, 2013 - 10:51 am: Edit

MY DAY: 27 June (Thursday) 2013
Got to the office at 81F. Weather: sunny.
Daily Routine: Dinosaur list: stolen fossils. BBS: 28. Forum: 5. Out box: 45. APOD: not astronomy. Jigsawdoku 2:17. Ann Coulter: election demographics. Web crawl completed at 11:26. Lunch: Jean cooked potroast. Read FYEO for 6-7 May.
Email: Overnight spam 62 plus 66 during the day. Email left in in-box at end of the day: 727.
JES work: Forum and Board issues, hailing frequencies, updated convention policy, started working up the Platinum Hat that kicks off on Monday.
SVC work: Communique.

MY DAY: 28 June (Friday) 2013
Got to the office at 9:35. Weather: 77F, some clouds.
Daily Routine: Dinosaur list: Dinosaur Pompeii. BBS: 34. Forum: 14. Out box: 75. APOD: worthless waste of time. Jigsawdoku 2:32. Web crawl completed at 1pm. Lunch: BBQ at BF. Read FYEO for 8 May.
Email: Overnight spam 54 plus 43 during the day.
JES work: Hailing Frequencies.
SVC work: Communique, Ship Cards.

MY DAY: 29 June (Saturday) 2013
Got to the office at 9:45. Weather: 79F, some clouds.
Daily Routine: Dinosaur list: Psittacosaurus. BBS: 25. Forum: 4. Out box: 45. APOD: comet. Jigsawdoku 2:25. Web crawl completed at 1:40. Lunch: Jean fixed healthy salads. Exercise: 30 minute walk with Ramses. Target shooting: 15 Zombie Clowns put down with head shots.
Email: Overnight spam 63 plus 20 during the day.
New on e23: Romulan Ship Card Pack #2 Original Kestrels.
JES work: Hailing Frequencies. Moved traveller PD files to her new Mac. Platinum hat. Next four Friday blogs.
SVC work: Communique, Ship Cards.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Tuesday, July 02, 2013 - 10:52 am: Edit

MY DAY: 30 June (Sunday) 2013
Got to the office at 12:30pm. Weather: 82F sunny.
Daily Routine: Dinosaur list: Psittacosaurus. BBS: 26. Forum: 8. Out box: 45. APOD: Hyperion, moon of Saturn. Jigsawdoku 2:09. Web crawl completed at 1:41. Lunch: turkey at Calico, Starlist 78726. Target shooting: Zombie clowns died.
Email: Overnight spam 36 plus 32 during the day. Email left in in-box at end of the day: 734.
Events: for various reasons we all came to the office today and worked.
SPP work: Checked email and went home.
JES work: Platinum Hat now active.
LMC work: Orders, accounting.
SVC work: Reset the My Day file for another week. Did the THIS WEEK blog. Did the first couple of pages of the Wall of Honor update for CL47.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Saturday, July 06, 2013 - 06:01 pm: Edit

MY DAY: 1 July (Monday) 2013
Got to the office at 9:15. Weather: 71F, clouds to north.
Daily Routine: Dinosaur list: pterosaurs. BBS: 25. Forum: 11. Out box: 45. APOD: black hole video. Jigsawdoku 2:25. Web crawl completed at 4:01. Lunch: pizza and salad buffet at PP. Worked with Steve Petrick on starship tracking technology. Target shooting: shot the bells off Zombie Clown’s hat.
Email: Overnight spam 42 plus 36 during the day. Email left in in-box at end of the day: 732.
Events: Platinum Hat 2013 begins.
New on e23: Captain’s Log #47 Supplemental File.
Interview with Lesley: Possibly a new graphics technician. We’ll give him a tryout on Wednesday.
SPP work: Module C6. Traveller.
JES work: Got the PH announcement out. Posted some marketing news. Lesley interview. Demo and convention support. Traveller direction meeting.
SVC work: Communique. Traveller direction meeting.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation