FC: Organized League Play

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Federation Commander: FC: Organized League Play
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
Archive through April 23, 2006  25   07/16 09:49pm

We are going to start an Organized League Play (OLP) system for FC about next March. Most of you are not familiar with such things, so while we welcome your ideas and will strive to explain what's happening, the participants of this topic aren't going to be designing the system or making final decisions. One of the key things to remember is that OLP systems (while fun and rewarding for players) are designed primarily to create happy RETAILERS. We want more retailers stocking the game, and one way to do this is OLP. Thus, the focus of OLP is "events in stores" not "events in clubs" or "events at conventions". The basic concept is that we come up with something fun to play and if you play it you will get (at least a shot at) some reward. The reward will be sent to the store and the store manager will deliver it at the next OLP session.
By Joseph Butler (Admin) on Monday, April 24, 2006 - 01:08 pm: Edit

D'OH! That's what I get for doing those pages half-asleep!

By Tony L Thomas (Scoutdad) on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 06:32 pm: Edit

OK.
Grand Adventures Comics
Murfreesboro, TN (615-867-0838)
is officially registered and has become the home for Batlegroup Murfreesboro's Federation Commander League.

Currently, it looks as if League times will be one or two Tuesdays each and every month from 6 to 9.

All we need now is a special, league scenario to play and we're set.

By Tony L Thomas (Scoutdad) on Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 12:02 am: Edit

First League meeting was tonight. Due to last minute scheduling conflicts... we could only get 5 players, but this Saturday we have about 10 coming for more fun and frivolity.

As we didn't have a league scenario... we just played 1 on 1 duels between the Federation and the Klingons.
The Federation win/loss ratio was .500 - so tonight was a draw, maybe Saturday will give one side or the other an edge...

By Kenneth M Drushal (Kdrushal) on Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 06:48 pm: Edit

Is there a list of game stores (by loaction) that are hosting leagues?

By Tony L Thomas (Scoutdad) on Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 09:49 pm: Edit

Grand Adventures Comics and Games
Murfreesboro, TN

By Mike Wyant (Mikewyant) on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 03:26 pm: Edit

We have a fairly large group going here in Spindale NC, unfortunatly there are no game stores within an hours drive from here. Shouldn't there be some way game clubs can be involved in tournament Play?

By Burt Quaid (Burt) on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 04:49 pm: Edit

Don't I wish. The closest game store to me is Plano TX and that is almost a 2 hour drive depending upon traffic.

burt

Oh well, my group is only 2-3 people at the moment anyway.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 12:34 pm: Edit

Somebody wanted to see the bonus cards for the organized play league:

bonuscards.jpg

By Loren Knight (Loren) on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 03:40 pm: Edit

That's brilliant.

By Michael Tisdel (Jmt) on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 08:03 pm: Edit

Burt,
There are a four or so of us in the Plano area - Maybe we can arrange a close meeting place? How's Lewisville? Contact me at jmt@jmichaelt.org and we'll work something out. :D

By Michael Powers (Mtpowers) on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 08:07 pm: Edit

Legendary Master Chef? :confused:

By Russell J. Manning (Rjmanning) on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 08:21 pm: Edit

Michael,

It does say Legendary Master Chief. Its just that with the font used, the 'I' is so close to the 'E' that it looks like one letter.

By Chris Taylor (Anarchy) on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 01:17 am: Edit

SVC, thanks for posting those.

Anyone know of a store in the Orange County, CA area that is running an OPL? Thanks!

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 08:14 am: Edit

Ask Vanessa. She has the list. Maybe she will post the list in this topic?

By Tony L Thomas (Scoutdad) on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 07:48 am: Edit

Hey Steve, one more OPL question. We have 2 FLGS in our area adn they are about a 30 to 40 minute drive in opposite directions. Most of the local group plays at one, but some utilize the facilities of the other one. Can we play OPL games at both locations and combine the results?

This would certainly make for a larger league with twice the activity of the current one.

By Robert Simmons (Lokirising) on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 11:48 pm: Edit

I've actually come up with a tourny system.

3 ships per player
300 BPV
No more than one dreadnought
No battleships
Any published ships can be used (any ship in Captain's Log, Communique, etc.)
Fleet scale

Each player plays two opponents (two games). Victory points are used. Once all are finished, the top three in earned VP's take 1st, 2nd and 3rd place.

Opinions? Comments? Ideas?

By Terry O'Carroll (Terryoc) on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 12:43 am: Edit

That sounds almost exactly like the FC tournament that's running on FCOnline. I wouldn't allow Cap Log or Communique ships though - those are playtest ships, and there may be some issues with them (especially Hydrans).

By Robert Simmons (Lokirising) on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 01:59 am: Edit

You may be right about the playtest ships. I'm just partial to Lyrans I guess.

By Terry O'Carroll (Terryoc) on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 01:02 am: Edit

Lyrans are probably OK. Hydrans seem to be having some issues (mostly the fighters).

By Robert Simmons (Lokirising) on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 01:11 am: Edit

The fighter dont bother me. It's being able to launch them all at once that does.

By Michael Matlock (Starnite_Iv) on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 10:20 am: Edit

Is there anyway to get the full rules of these cards for private use? No one around my area holds tournys, and I would like to use them in pickup games with a few friends. Hide single use versions in freighters that need to be "hit and runned" to grab for example

By Scott Alan Woodard (Ogma) on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 11:04 am: Edit

Not sure if you're aware, but 'Game Empire' in Pasadena (http://www.gameempirepasadena.com) is now hosting Federation Commander games/tournaments every Wednesday night.

A visit to their Yahoo group (http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/gameempire91107/?yguid=254265956) will reveal a recent photo and a description of the scenario (I believe this was from last week's session).

Not sure if you want to send along OLP info their way...

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 11:48 am: Edit

Please feel free to do so and ask them to send in the info for a free listing on our site.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation