FC: Gorn Attack

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Federation Commander: FC: Gorn Attack
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
Older Posts (processed)  20   02/07 04:18pm

This product might happen after WAR & PEACE and could be the 2011 Origins product. It would, in theory, include 16 ship cards (plus, maybe, two battleship cards) and come with the usual booosters and minis boxes.
By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Sunday, February 07, 2010 - 04:17 pm: Edit

Possible ship list:
From this list, we could pick 16 cards in Gorn Attack plus 6 more in boosters
=
FEDERATION: FFL, DWL (if added to SFB), NAL, BCP, OCA
NCD is in Booster 92, FFD probably needs to go to Kzinti Attack, DDL has to go to a booster with other Franz Joseph ships.
=
GORN: DNT, DNC, DDC, MCC, HDE, BDE
FF is in Orion Attack, CLE is in booster 92.
=
ROMULAN: K7R, VUL, KDR, K4R, SKE, KH, SPJ, RegalHawk, DemonHawk
SeaHawk is in Orion Attack. SPM is in Booster 92.
=
ORION: MR, DCR, Prime Traitor
=
THOLIAN: DH/DHW, CAP, TK5, DPC, NHD, NCH
=
NOT CONSIDRED: Tugs, CWLs, Fast CWs, LTTs, gunboats, Carriers.
=
BATTLESHIPS: Fed BBL (if added to SFB), Romulan KB10R.
We might or might not add two battleships and make the product retail price a little higher, or include them instead of maps.

By Will McCammon (Djdood) on Sunday, February 07, 2010 - 05:56 pm: Edit

I really, really need to finish the oCA master mini.

Would new minis be done for the RegalHawk and DemonHawk, if they end up going in? They're different enough from a stock FireHawk that it might (or might not) be worth it.

By Gary Carney (Nerroth) on Sunday, February 07, 2010 - 08:51 pm: Edit

The ships I meant earlier, Sojourner aside, were the Tholian PDD and PDW.

(Though of the two, perhaps the PDD might be better off being released as a future Middle Years card, with the PDW more at home among other General War-era ships.)

By Mike West (Mjwest) on Sunday, February 07, 2010 - 10:17 pm: Edit

Just for the record, the DDL is already in Booster 91.

By jeffery smith (Jsmith) on Monday, February 08, 2010 - 12:07 am: Edit

well i guess it's time to look at some of these to see what they are.

SVC, may i make a suggestion on the F-BBL plasmas ?

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Monday, February 08, 2010 - 12:24 am: Edit

Jeff: A plasma BB would be an "obvious variant" and anybody could design it, and we'd all come up with the same design. I'll take care of it (if we decide to go that route) when the time comes. (It's not even a new idea and I am pretty sure there are six or seven on file, none of which were needed as it is an "obvious variant" that nobody gets credit for "designing".) I mean, sheesh, replace two drone racks with plasma-Fs. There might be some debate about WHICH two, but in the end, the small number of choices boils down to only one that makes sense, and this is not the topic to design that ship.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Monday, February 08, 2010 - 12:30 am: Edit

Please remember that...

1. Most of the designs are already in SFB.

2. Those that aren't have to be approved by Petrick for SFB before FC can touch them.

3. The product might, at the earliest, appear in June-July 2011.

4. I doubt seriously if the list of candidates is finished yet (I already thought of one ship that isn't on the list yet.) Until we finish War & Peace, you/we/I don't know if we need to use one slot for some "missing" ISC ship.

There is, ergo, no hurry, but please feel free to amuse yourselves with the discussion.

By jeffery smith (Jsmith) on Monday, February 08, 2010 - 12:58 am: Edit

i am sure it is, although i have to admit i did not think of it until yesterday.

By Mike West (Mjwest) on Monday, February 08, 2010 - 09:05 am: Edit

Quote:

Until we finish War & Peace, you/we/I don't know if we need to use one slot for some "missing" ISC ship.

I will be extremely surprised if the list of ISC candidate ships is fewer than six. And that is probably conservative.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Monday, February 08, 2010 - 11:01 am: Edit

We did Module R5 with the Fed BB back in 1992. The first "Fed BB with plasma" arrived about two weeks later.

By jeffery smith (Jsmith) on Monday, February 08, 2010 - 07:49 pm: Edit

Mjwest, i have never played the ISC so i would not be surprised at the fact that 10 ships could still be needed.

Svc, i consider myself lucky if i have the latest module in hand & have started to read it within 2 weeks of release let alone have any suggestions for new ships.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Tuesday, February 09, 2010 - 11:43 am: Edit

Jeffery: I consider myself lucky to have good guys like you come around and talk to me.

By Scott Tenhoff (Scottt) on Tuesday, February 09, 2010 - 10:23 pm: Edit

What about Federation and Gorn Maulers? Since FC has conjectural ships (BBs)

That's good for 4xSSDs.

By Terence Sean Terry O'Carroll (Terryoc) on Tuesday, February 09, 2010 - 11:42 pm: Edit

Scott, those would probably be in Borders of Madness.

(Although personally, I think that if you've got photons, masses of drones, or R-torps, who needs maulers?! It's the guys with the least shield breaking crunch, the Klingons and Lyrans, who really need maulers for base busting. At least in FC.)

By Mike West (Mjwest) on Wednesday, February 10, 2010 - 06:57 pm: Edit

Well, I figure the "real" maulers should be done prior to the conjectural ones ...

By jeffery smith (Jsmith) on Thursday, February 11, 2010 - 10:13 am: Edit

Svc: well i don;t know about the "good" part. over on the FC board there is a request for the gorn DBC

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Thursday, February 11, 2010 - 11:13 am: Edit

Yes, and it needs to be on the list here.

By Gary Carney (Nerroth) on Sunday, February 21, 2010 - 02:50 pm: Edit

If it's ready for use in SFB by the time Gorn Attack is one the cards, the Stellar Fortress might be an interesting choice for a double-sized card, perhaps alongside the already-mentioned Inseparable.

(Unlike the BBL, a fortress would be useful for a range of factions, not just the Federation.)

By jeffery smith (Jsmith) on Monday, February 22, 2010 - 01:44 am: Edit

but would everyone use a stellar fortress(i mean race's not players.)

By Gary Carney (Nerroth) on Monday, March 08, 2010 - 03:31 pm: Edit

There is one other Fed ship I'd ask for consideration, to match the Middle Years version from Briefing #2 - the Galactic Survey Cruiser.

By Mike West (Mjwest) on Monday, March 08, 2010 - 03:54 pm: Edit

The problem with the GSC is the special sensors. It is one thing to include the SC in a special booster because it is an original FJD ship. It is another thing entirely to include a combat scout, giving the Federation TWO published scouts to everyone else's Zero.

Also, it is one thing to include a neutered GSC in the Middle Years Briefing. It is an entirely other thing to published a neutered main era GSC on a full ship card.

So, if you keep the special sensors, it causes problems. If you delete the special sensors, it causes problems. Better to just leave it for BoM/Briefing #3, where it can join the other survey ships.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Monday, March 08, 2010 - 06:45 pm: Edit

The GSC isn't an FJ ship, but it won't be in Gorn Attack as it is a Borders of Madness ship.

By Paul Stovell (Pauls) on Wednesday, July 21, 2010 - 10:25 am: Edit

I'd like to make a plea for the Gorn COMF commando cruiser. With 4 F torps it is very strong though is shields make it very brittle.

It is a real "character" ship for the Gorns in the way the SpJ is for the Romulans

By Mike West (Mjwest) on Wednesday, July 21, 2010 - 01:09 pm: Edit

The problem is that the COMF is a commando cruiser, which doesn't fit. Your best bet would be to get a similarly armed combat cruiser created, then we could use that. Maybe suggesting a "carronade-cruiser" based on an HDD that replaces its Pl-S with two Pl-F might get you want you want.

But I seriously doubt a commando cruiser would be included.

By Terry O'Carroll (Terryoc) on Wednesday, July 21, 2010 - 01:51 pm: Edit

The COMF might be one to consider for BoM, or the Federation Admiral briefing (or whatever the campaign system is). I think a couple of commando ships have been published in Communique (D5G springs to mind). But probably not GA, as Mike says.

By Nicholas S Sandberg (Nsandberg) on Wednesday, July 21, 2010 - 06:38 pm: Edit

I would love a Carronade Cruiser

By Mike West (Mjwest) on Tuesday, August 14, 2012 - 12:44 pm: Edit

Just a quick note on the concept of a Carronade Cruiser:

This has been pretty firmly rejected by ADB. They view it as a pointlessly specialized ship that doesn't really fit into the tactical doctrines of the Gorn navy. An HDD already has two Pl-F, so can effectively use the carronade as it is. Adding to that by removing its only heavy and long range weapon was deemed to make the ship too specialized.

Don't forget that we are not only talking about Federation Commander here. We are talking about FC, SFB, and F&E. So, it has to make sense in the larger context than just Federation Commander. And ADB has determined that it doesn't.

I point all of this out NOT to make people stop asking. Heck, enough people* asking is often an effective way to get ADB to change course on a specific item. I simply point this out to help set expectations on whether such a ship will be published.

[*] Note that I used the phrase "enough people". That means multiple people making the request. A few people making lots of requests will only annoy them.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation