FC: Battle Group for Captain's Log

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Federation Commander: FC: Battle Group for Captain's Log
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
Archive through September 01, 2014  25   09/01 11:59pm
Archive through September 30, 2014  25   10/01 03:43pm

FEDERATION COMMANDER BATTLE GROUP 500 "BATTLE GROUP"

READ THIS FIRST: Only one battle group may be submitted for each empire. The first player to submit a valid battle group for an empire is the only player who may use that empire.

* The scenario this Battle Group is tied to will be revealed at a later date. The year of this battle group is 2575.

* Submissions can be made using any ships available in Federation Commander, subject only to the rules herein.

* NOTE: No more than ONE Federation Commander Battle Group may be submitted by any given author without the permission of ADB, Inc. Submission of more than one Federation Commander Battle Group without the permission of ADB, Inc. will result in automatic rejection of all Federation Commander Battle Groups submitted by that author for this Battle Group article.

* Author A cannot submit a Klingon Battle Group after Author B has done so, and no Author A (or Author B) can submit two Battle Groups, whether both are for the same empire, e.g., two Klingon Battle Groups, or separate empires, e.g., a Klingon and a Romulan Battle Group. If all empires do not have a submitted Battle Group when the publication date draws near, this restriction may be lifted.

* Submitters must post their force selection into this topic for review by their peers.

* Note that we are NOT going to provide the opposing force at first. The players will have to create their Battle Group "blind." The scenario and opposition will not be defined until some time after 30 August 2014. If you do not submit a force prior to 30 August 2014, you will not be allowed to submit a force.

* Tactics articles (written after the opposing force is revealed) must be submitted by the end of September 2014 by email to Steven Petrick at: Rules@StarFleetGames.com (which must include a copy of the force selection and the submitterís NAME AND STATE/PROVINCE IN THE BODY OF THE SUBMISSION SO THAT THE NAME GETS DOWNLOADED WITH THE BATTLE GROUP AND NOT LOST IN THE EMAIL HEADER).

* The general idea for tactics is that they should be at least three paragraphs, but not more than a column (half a page) in Captainís Log. We are continuing the format used by Star Fleet Battles Battle Groups for Captainís Log, as some readers like the tactics articles associated with the Battle Groups, and some simply like the Battle Groups created to the points value.

* If a submitter needs to revise his Battle Group (before the enemy is revealed) and resubmit it, he may do so, but must note that it is a revision and include the revision date and the date of the post revised. No revisions will be accepted after 30 August 2014.

1. The points that can be spent to construct the force are limited to 500 points in Squadron Scale, including the points of all ships and fighters. The Battle Group must adhere to the strictures set by these Battle Group instructions. No ship can have a movement cost greater than 0.50.

2. Other than the restriction that no ship can have a movement cost greater than 0.50, you may select your force entirely from ships of any movement cost of 0.50 or less.

3. For purposes of this scenario, no ship may have a web caster.

4. Ship cards that have appeared in any edition of Captainís Log, Captainís Log Supplemental File, or Communique can be used, except for Borders of Madness and Omega Octant ships.

5. Mercenaries: No Orion ships can be included as mercenary units within an empireís Battle Group, e.g., a Gorn group cannot use a mercenary Orion DW. An all-Orion group may be used. (Obviously a mercenary group hired to support the Empireís operations.) Orion option mounts must be selected and specifically noted as part of the force and cannot be changed.

6. A WYN Battle Group may be submitted, but such a WYN force must consist of ships that are able to exit the WYN Radiation Zone as manned combat units, and in the year of this Battle Group this limits them to WYN-Orion ships and fish ships. WYN option mounts must be selected as part of the battle grop submission and cannot be changed. Andromedans can participate in this Battle Force. No more than one Andromedan ship may have a displacement device, e.g., a Python.

7. Auxiliary warships, to include WYN auxiliary warships, cannot be included in any Battle Group. Tugs, light tactical transports, and freighters of any type (to include free traders and armed priority transports) cannot be used in this battle group.

8. All Federation Commander staff officers are requested to submit a group for their assigned empire(s). Others may also submit groups. Selected entries will be published in Captainís Log #50 and possibly its supplemental file.

9. Detailed cost breakdown must be included. List each ship and its cost. See the Federation Commander Battle Group articles that have appeared since Captainís Log #45 for the correct format.

10. All of the above limits are cumulative. ALL of the limits apply. No item provides an exception to any other item unless specifically noted as doing so.

11. Tactics that rely on evading combat will result in automatic rejection. You are required to fight, not simply show the flag.

12. All Battle Groups need to be submitted by 2400 hrs CST, on the evening of 30 August, 2014. The opposing force has been selected and will be revealed early in September 2014. Tactics articles must be completed and submitted by 30 September, 2014.
By Lee Storey (Storeylf) on Tuesday, September 30, 2014 - 09:30 pm: Edit

Tactics re-submitted.

By Fred J. Kreller (Kreller1) on Tuesday, September 30, 2014 - 10:58 pm: Edit

Lost power from a wind storm and like a genius, I hadn't saved my progress that I started today. So tomorrow will be the day, if that is ok for my submission.

By Terry O'Carroll (Terryoc) on Wednesday, October 01, 2014 - 12:23 pm: Edit

"'Lost power from a wind storm'? Engineering, we're in deep space! How the heck can we be hit by a wind storm?"

By Fred J. Kreller (Kreller1) on Wednesday, October 01, 2014 - 03:37 pm: Edit

Solar winds, Ensign O'Carroll. :-)

By Matthew Potter (Neonpico) on Wednesday, October 01, 2014 - 03:43 pm: Edit

Sounds more like an Ion Storm, to me...

By Gregory S Flusche (Vandor) on Wednesday, October 01, 2014 - 05:08 pm: Edit

silly to be playing around in a solar storm are even in a ion storm. Unless of course doing scientific research.

By Steve Petrick (Petrick) on Wednesday, October 01, 2014 - 05:26 pm: Edit

Fred J. Kreller:

Tomorrow will be fine.

By Fred J. Kreller (Kreller1) on Wednesday, October 01, 2014 - 06:38 pm: Edit

SPP:
I got it sent over today. Thank you!

By Steve Petrick (Petrick) on Thursday, October 02, 2014 - 07:38 pm: Edit

So far the following have not submitted tactics or asked for an extension (I might have forgotten someone who asked for an extension, they are in my E-mail files):

THOLIAN ROCKY ROAD DEFENSE FORCE
by Tony L. Thomas, USS Tennessee

LYRAN DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC "BLAZING CLAWS GROUP"
by Jeffery Smith, USS

Can I have these by Monday, 6 October 2014?

By Steve Petrick (Petrick) on Friday, October 03, 2014 - 07:42 pm: Edit

Question:

Am I allowing too much time to write the tactics?

Almost a solid month (pretty much all of September) was given to write and submit tactics, and at least five people either have not submitted as yet, or needed extensions at the last minute.

I can understand real world issues getting in the way (and will stress that dealing with real life takes precedence over a game), but you all had 29 days in a period that included four weekends and not all of the tactics submissions are in (and, yes, there have been valid excuses for some of the delayed submissions).

Would it work better if I only allowed two weeks to write the tactics?

By Richard B. Eitzen (Rbeitzen) on Friday, October 03, 2014 - 08:03 pm: Edit

Whatever gives you enough time to get it all ready for Captain's Log is probably best.

By Lee Storey (Storeylf) on Friday, October 03, 2014 - 08:54 pm: Edit

Hard to say, less time should mean people are less likely to lose 'focus'. On the other hand last weekend was pretty much the first weekend I had some decent time to have a go at it, and even then I found myself typing late at night and redoing it 2 nights later.

By Steve Petrick (Petrick) on Monday, October 06, 2014 - 02:23 pm: Edit

I have received tactics from everyone except Art Trotman (Klingon) and Jeffery Smith (LDR). I have e-mailed both asking for an update.

By Ted Fay (Catwhoeatsphoto) on Monday, October 06, 2014 - 04:07 pm: Edit

Quote:

Question:

Am I allowing too much time to write the tactics?

Almost a solid month (pretty much all of September) was given to write and submit tactics, and at least five people either have not submitted as yet, or needed extensions at the last minute.

I can understand real world issues getting in the way (and will stress that dealing with real life takes precedence over a game), but you all had 29 days in a period that included four weekends and not all of the tactics submissions are in (and, yes, there have been valid excuses for some of the delayed submissions).

Would it work better if I only allowed two weeks to write the tactics?

I think two weeks is more than enough time, as a baseline, my own lateness aside (due entirely to negligence I must admit).

If you set the deadline to two weeks you give yourself more time to hunt down stragglers before publishing deadlines.

Keep the "real" deadline to yourself (i.e., one month, six weeks, whatever). After the "real" deadline you simply do whatever you need to do (drop groups, write the article yourself, whatever you think you need to do). However, to everyone else, the deadline is two weeks, and after that it's late absent an excuse caused by real life. Easier to keep pressure up that way.

My 2 cents.

By Ted Fay (Catwhoeatsphoto) on Monday, October 06, 2014 - 04:17 pm: Edit

Addendum: If you do have to take drastic action (drop a group, write a tactics article yourself, or whatever) then you can say that person X is "several" weeks past the deadline and has failed to comply/communicate/whatever - makes your "drastic" action much more reasonable.

By Steve Petrick (Petrick) on Monday, October 13, 2014 - 04:31 pm: Edit

I have battle group tactics from everyone but Jeffery Smith (LDR). I have traded E-mails with Jeffery Smith, and he is having computer problems (with which I can sympathize). He had hopped to have his tactics in this past Friday, and now it is Monday and they have not arrived. I have E-mailed him again asking for an update as I would really rather have his own tactics for his own force. While I am waiting for a reply, I am also going to request a Volunteer to be on standby to write tactics for his force. This can be anyone in this topic except Mike West (sorry Mike, I cannot really have someone write his opponent's battle plan with full knowledge of his own, the tactics need to be written by someone who does not know what the Vudar plans are).

Is there anyone who would like to do the LDR tactics article?

Again, this is standby, I am waiting to hear from Jeffery Smith, but only sent him an E-mail asking for an update in the last hour, and again I would really rather have his own article. Right now, the Volunteer would be asked to provide the tactics by Monday, 20 October.

By Steve Petrick (Petrick) on Monday, October 13, 2014 - 05:58 pm: Edit

At this point, everyone except Jeffery Smith should have received a feedback copy of his tactics for review of the editing and formatting. If you have not, let me know and I will send you a copy.

Additional comment:

Some ask me to tell them what I think of their plan. I cannot do this for the simple fact that I know both side's plans which inherently intrudes into any review I might make of one player's plan.

By Mike West (Mjwest) on Tuesday, October 28, 2014 - 06:38 am: Edit

As an aside, I do not mind if my submission is dropped if Jeffery Smith cannot do his. Assuming he does the correct tactic, he likely wins outright.

By Steve Petrick (Petrick) on Wednesday, October 29, 2014 - 06:51 pm: Edit

I have not heard from Jeffery Smith since my last exchange of E-mails with him. He cited computer problems at the time, and I am guessing at this juncture that he has been unable to overcome them. Can I get a volunteer to write a tactics article for his LDR force?

LYRAN DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC "BLAZING CLAWS GROUP"
by Jeffery Smith, USS

2xHeavy Frigate Brotherhood and Declaration (Captainís Log #37) (172) = 172.
4xFrigate Commune, Equality, Fraternity, and Liberty (316) = 316.
Total = 488.

The force he was matched against was Mike West's Vudar (which means Mike cannot write the counter article):

VUDAR ENCLAVE LOUNGE LIZARDS
by Mike West, USS Texas

5xWar Destroyer Forked Tongue, Smooth Skin, Treacherous Thoughts, Unblinking Eye, and Wallclimber (500) = 500.
Total = 500.

By Lee Storey (Storeylf) on Thursday, October 30, 2014 - 05:40 am: Edit

I never realised that you needed both sides articles to have valid articles, can't Mwest write an article about he would handle that LDR force without worrying about what the LDR article says?

Though as Mike hints at there is not really much that can counter LDR played with even a hint of sense (Vudar or otherwise).

By Steve Petrick (Petrick) on Thursday, October 30, 2014 - 11:55 am: Edit

Lee Storey:

No one has said it is needed, but it is nice to have a balance, "The Other Side of the Hill," what is the opposing commander thinking.

Having Mike West write the article does not work because he KNOWS what he is going to do and it will influence what the LDR does. You do not get that chance to see two commander's taking one another's forces and mission parameters into account and determining what he thinks they will do and how he will handle it.

By Lee Storey (Storeylf) on Thursday, October 30, 2014 - 01:26 pm: Edit

Doh - misread by me, I thought you had said Mike couldn't write his article for some bizarre reason!?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation