FC: Battle Group for Captain's Log

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Federation Commander: FC: Battle Group for Captain's Log
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
Archive through April 08, 2014  25   04/10 12:50pm
Archive through April 15, 2014  25   04/16 11:43am
Archive through April 19, 2014  25   04/21 03:18pm

FEDERATION COMMANDER BATTLE GROUP 500 "BATTLE GROUP"

READ THIS FIRST: Only one battle group may be submitted for each empire. The first player to submit a valid battle group for an empire is the only player who may use that empire.

* The scenario this Battle Group is tied to will be revealed at a later date. The year of this battle group is 2575.

* Submissions can be made using any ships available in Federation Commander, subject only to the rules herein.

* NOTE: No more than ONE Federation Commander Battle Group may be submitted by any given author without the permission of ADB, Inc. Submission of more than one Federation Commander Battle Group without the permission of ADB, Inc. will result in automatic rejection of all Federation Commander Battle Groups submitted by that author for this Battle Group article.

* Author A cannot submit a Klingon Battle Group after Author B has done so, and no Author A (or Author B) can submit two Battle Groups, whether both are for the same empire, e.g., two Klingon Battle Groups, or separate empires, e.g., a Klingon and a Romulan Battle Group. If all empires do not have a submitted Battle Group when the publication date draws near, this restriction may be lifted.

* Submitters must post their force selection into this topic for review by their peers.

* Note that we are NOT going to provide the opposing force at first. The players will have to create their Battle Group "blind." The scenario and opposition will not be defined until some time after 14 April 2014. If you do not submit a force prior to 14 April 2014, you will not be allowed to submit a force.

* Tactics articles (written after the opposing force is revealed) must be submitted by the end of April 2014 by email to Steven Petrick at: Rules@StarFleetGames.com (which must include a copy of the force selection and the submitterís NAME AND STATE/PROVINCE IN THE BODY OF THE SUBMISSION SO THAT THE NAME GETS DOWNLOADED WITH THE BATTLE GROUP AND NOT LOST IN THE EMAIL HEADER).

* The general idea for tactics is that they should be at least three paragraphs, but not more than a column (half a page) in Captainís Log. We are continuing the format used by Star Fleet Battles Battle Groups for Captainís Log, as some readers like the tactics articles associated with the Battle Groups, and some simply like the Battle Groups created to the points value.

* If a submitter needs to revise his Battle Group (before the enemy is revealed) and resubmit it, he may do so, but must note that it is a revision and include the revision date and the date of the post revised. No revisions will be accepted after 14 April 2014.

1. The points that can be spent to construct the force are limited to 500 points in Squadron Scale, including the points of all ships and fighters. The Battle Group must adhere to the strictures set by these Battle Group instructions. No ship can have a movement cost greater than 1.00.

2. Other than the restriction that no ship can have a movement cost greater than 1.00, you may select your force entirely from ships of any movement cost of 1.00 or less.

3. For purposes of this scenario, only one ship may have a web caster, and that ship may have only a single web caster.

4. Ship cards that have appeared in any edition of Captainís Log, Captainís Log Supplemental File, or Communique can be used, except for Borders of Madness and Omega Octant ships.

5. Mercenaries: No Orion ships can be included as mercenary units within an empireís Battle Group, e.g., a Gorn group cannot use a mercenary Orion DW. An all-Orion group may be used. (Obviously a mercenary group hired to support the Empireís operations.)

6. A WYN Battle Group may be submitted, but such a WYN force must consist of ships that are able to exit the WYN Radiation Zone as manned combat units, and in the year of this Battle Group this limits them to WYN-Orion ships and fish ships. Andromedans can participate in this Battle Force.

7. Auxiliary warships, to include WYN auxiliary warships, cannot be included in any Battle Group. Tugs, light tactical transports, and freighters of any type (to include free traders and armed priority transports) cannot be used in this battle group.

8. All Federation Commander staff officers are requested to submit a group for their assigned empire(s). Others may also submit groups. Selected entries will be published in Captainís Log #49 and possibly its supplemental file.

9. Detailed cost breakdown must be included. List each ship and its cost. See the Federation Commander Battle Group articles that have appeared since Captainís Log #45 for the correct format.

10. All of the above limits are cumulative. ALL of the limits apply. No item provides an exception to any other item unless specifically noted as doing so.

11. Tactics that rely on evading combat will result in automatic rejection. You are required to fight, not simply show the flag.

12. All Battle Groups need to be submitted by 2400 hrs CST, on the evening of 14 April, 2014. The opposing force has been selected and will be revealed on 15 April, 2014. Tactics articles must be completed and submitted by 30 April, 2014.
By Lee Storey (Storeylf) on Sunday, April 20, 2014 - 04:34 pm: Edit

Mr Trotman, I can't be bothered rolling, so do you wish to place freighters first or 2nd.

By Mike West (Mjwest) on Sunday, April 20, 2014 - 06:01 pm: Edit

Gary, I forfeit the initial die roll. You place the first freighter.

By Steve Petrick (Petrick) on Monday, April 21, 2014 - 10:34 am: Edit

Lee Storey:

If you exit 100 cargo boxes on Turn #5 and he exits 150 cargo boxes on Turn #29, you definitely lost as your cargo exited count is reduced to zero while he has exited 50 cargo boxes after cancelling what you exited.

By Lee Storey (Storeylf) on Monday, April 21, 2014 - 02:45 pm: Edit

Ok - so what you are saying is the scenario ends when all freighters are off map or destroyed.

Though it's not possible for me exit 100 and him 150. There isn't that much to start with :)

By Steve Petrick (Petrick) on Monday, April 21, 2014 - 03:18 pm: Edit

Lee Storey:

The "Mission Orders" are to capture as much of the cargo as possible and deny any of the cargo to the enemy." Failure to capture the cargo is, well, failure. So you must plan to capture as much of it as you can and deny it to the enemy. That may require you to shoot up freighters he is trying to escape with. But if you do not capture any, of if he gets away with more than you do, well you lose.

Now, this does not mean that you have to have the perfect plan, but you need to have your plan for how you are going to try to accomplish the mission. You are not going to know what the enemy's plan was (in theory you guys should not be revealing your plans to each other until they are published), and you opponent's plan may have something you did not think of. You just need to have your plan.

And you plan needs (sorry for popping a variant of this old saw on you guys really) to be like a lady's skirt: "Short enough to be interesting, but long enough to cover the subject." If you need a little more prose to cover things, take the space, but remember (to use another old saw) that "brevity is the soul of wit."

By Lee Storey (Storeylf) on Monday, April 21, 2014 - 03:36 pm: Edit

That's all fine and dandy, this sort of thing may be obvious to those who are your regular participants. That is not me though, and I was taking this as 'here is a scenario, briefly describe how you would win'. All scenarios have a defined end point and victory conditions, and not knowing them would make it rather difficult to write something up. Or at least could radically alter what I write.

If it is a more 'narrative' exercise with less emphasis on the usual sort of scenario parameters then fine, it just wasn't clear to me.

By Steve Petrick (Petrick) on Monday, April 21, 2014 - 06:03 pm: Edit

Lee Storey:

Trust me I am only trying to be helpful. Please do not read a "tone" other than that. Bear in mind that this is a print medium and expression and voice are not there to indicate an effort to be helpful. I tend to write "military" because I was in the Army for more than a decade and that is often taken as something other than I intend, but the habit of that style of writing is very strong in me. I know this is your first time and I do want this to be a pleasurable experience for you, so there is no effort on my part to be less than helpful.

By Lee Storey (Storeylf) on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 09:15 am: Edit

Haha - I don't have an issue with 'tone'. I'm terrible at writing and often think later what I wrote may come across different to what I intended.

If I was getting frustrated at anything it was more the lack of what seemed the simple straight answer - when does the scenario end. If on the other hand it is not intended to be so strict in that sense, and more 'narrative' then that is just a misunderstanding in what the battlegroup thing is about. Which is fine, I can work with that as well (I think).

The scenario end bit was possibly important to me, if the scenario could be ended by a quick exit with 100 points before the other guy got off any freighters then I potentially had a very different approach due to some of the andro tricks. I need something very different if I have to hang around however long dealing with the enemy.

By Steve Petrick (Petrick) on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 11:32 am: Edit

Lee Storey:

I agree the scenario should have a definitive statement that it pretty much ends when the last freighter is exited or destroyed (and, obviously, if you have destroyed or forced the disengagement of all opposing enemy warships you can be assumed to have captured any remaining freighters . . . slight exception for any freighters under enemy control and still running for a map edge which may require an extension until they escape or are captured or destroyed to prevent their escape).

Beyond that, printed communications are the worst. We are programmed to take into account verbal and visual cues as part of our communications with one another, and the lack thereof in merely printed communications can and has caused great harm even between close friends.

By Steve Petrick (Petrick) on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 06:50 pm: Edit

For purposes of the battle group article, all freighters on the North Maps are facing direction #5, all freighters on the South Maps are facing direction #6. In the actual scenario the facing of the freighters will be randomly generated. Note also that no freighter can be "self destructed" as you do not have the ability to unlock that.

By Fred J. Kreller (Kreller1) on Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 01:30 pm: Edit

Apologies to SPP and my opponent. I was having email issues, and I thought incorrectly that I had sent in my tactics by deadline. This turned out not to be the case, so I just sent them now. Again, my apologies to Terry and SPP, I take full responsibility for the oversight and failure to meet deadline.

By Lee Storey (Storeylf) on Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 04:28 am: Edit

My opponent is (and has been) in hospital, I only managed to get him a copy of the maps last night, as he does not have access to the ones needed. At the moment we have not got freighter setup done.

By Steve Petrick (Petrick) on Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 10:46 am: Edit

Lee Storey:

Real life issues are real life issues. I do not have a problem allowing extra time when I have it available (I do) and real life issues have to be dealt with (things happen, and you will find that I am wont to say "real life takes precedence over a game"). Being hospitalized (your opponent) is one of those things that gets as "real life" as it can. If you guys want to press on, I will await your tactics, but other than pointing out approaching publication (when it starts nearing) I am not going to be beating you guys up about it. It may come down to your submitting your own tactics and your opponent not (I would rather have both, but I am not going to berate someone in a hospital bed over a game) if you can get the freighter set ups.

For now, lets all just hope for a speedy recovery on Art Trotman's part.

By Lee Storey (Storeylf) on Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 11:17 am: Edit

I'm easy on it. I'd like to submit something, but as you say one can hardly complain because of circumstances like that, and I wish Art all the best.

In the event that we do not get freighters done, or just to speed up the whole process I don't suppose you want to provide some default locations as a neutral party? At least then we would have the choice of some defaults to use if doing it as written proves difficult.

As a suggestion for future, it may be easier if the scenario provides a default setup for such neutral units (or anything that requires some back and forth between players) , rather than require the 2 players to sort it out in limited time. Maybe allow them to do something like this themselves if desired, but with a default setup for those who are less bothered, or struggle with time.

By Steve Petrick (Petrick) on Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 07:20 pm: Edit

As has been noted, I have allowed extensions to two of the submitters. Except for those two, I have sent everyone else copies of their tactics for review. Please check them out and advise me of any problems by 0900 hrs CST, Monday, 19 May 2014. Thanks.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation