FC: Battle Group for Captain's Log

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Federation Commander: FC: Battle Group for Captain's Log
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
Archive through September 01, 2014  25   09/01 11:59pm

FEDERATION COMMANDER BATTLE GROUP 500 "BATTLE GROUP"

READ THIS FIRST: Only one battle group may be submitted for each empire. The first player to submit a valid battle group for an empire is the only player who may use that empire.

* The scenario this Battle Group is tied to will be revealed at a later date. The year of this battle group is 2575.

* Submissions can be made using any ships available in Federation Commander, subject only to the rules herein.

* NOTE: No more than ONE Federation Commander Battle Group may be submitted by any given author without the permission of ADB, Inc. Submission of more than one Federation Commander Battle Group without the permission of ADB, Inc. will result in automatic rejection of all Federation Commander Battle Groups submitted by that author for this Battle Group article.

* Author A cannot submit a Klingon Battle Group after Author B has done so, and no Author A (or Author B) can submit two Battle Groups, whether both are for the same empire, e.g., two Klingon Battle Groups, or separate empires, e.g., a Klingon and a Romulan Battle Group. If all empires do not have a submitted Battle Group when the publication date draws near, this restriction may be lifted.

* Submitters must post their force selection into this topic for review by their peers.

* Note that we are NOT going to provide the opposing force at first. The players will have to create their Battle Group "blind." The scenario and opposition will not be defined until some time after 30 August 2014. If you do not submit a force prior to 30 August 2014, you will not be allowed to submit a force.

* Tactics articles (written after the opposing force is revealed) must be submitted by the end of September 2014 by email to Steven Petrick at: Rules@StarFleetGames.com (which must include a copy of the force selection and the submitterís NAME AND STATE/PROVINCE IN THE BODY OF THE SUBMISSION SO THAT THE NAME GETS DOWNLOADED WITH THE BATTLE GROUP AND NOT LOST IN THE EMAIL HEADER).

* The general idea for tactics is that they should be at least three paragraphs, but not more than a column (half a page) in Captainís Log. We are continuing the format used by Star Fleet Battles Battle Groups for Captainís Log, as some readers like the tactics articles associated with the Battle Groups, and some simply like the Battle Groups created to the points value.

* If a submitter needs to revise his Battle Group (before the enemy is revealed) and resubmit it, he may do so, but must note that it is a revision and include the revision date and the date of the post revised. No revisions will be accepted after 30 August 2014.

1. The points that can be spent to construct the force are limited to 500 points in Squadron Scale, including the points of all ships and fighters. The Battle Group must adhere to the strictures set by these Battle Group instructions. No ship can have a movement cost greater than 0.50.

2. Other than the restriction that no ship can have a movement cost greater than 0.50, you may select your force entirely from ships of any movement cost of 0.50 or less.

3. For purposes of this scenario, no ship may have a web caster.

4. Ship cards that have appeared in any edition of Captainís Log, Captainís Log Supplemental File, or Communique can be used, except for Borders of Madness and Omega Octant ships.

5. Mercenaries: No Orion ships can be included as mercenary units within an empireís Battle Group, e.g., a Gorn group cannot use a mercenary Orion DW. An all-Orion group may be used. (Obviously a mercenary group hired to support the Empireís operations.) Orion option mounts must be selected and specifically noted as part of the force and cannot be changed.

6. A WYN Battle Group may be submitted, but such a WYN force must consist of ships that are able to exit the WYN Radiation Zone as manned combat units, and in the year of this Battle Group this limits them to WYN-Orion ships and fish ships. WYN option mounts must be selected as part of the battle grop submission and cannot be changed. Andromedans can participate in this Battle Force. No more than one Andromedan ship may have a displacement device, e.g., a Python.

7. Auxiliary warships, to include WYN auxiliary warships, cannot be included in any Battle Group. Tugs, light tactical transports, and freighters of any type (to include free traders and armed priority transports) cannot be used in this battle group.

8. All Federation Commander staff officers are requested to submit a group for their assigned empire(s). Others may also submit groups. Selected entries will be published in Captainís Log #50 and possibly its supplemental file.

9. Detailed cost breakdown must be included. List each ship and its cost. See the Federation Commander Battle Group articles that have appeared since Captainís Log #45 for the correct format.

10. All of the above limits are cumulative. ALL of the limits apply. No item provides an exception to any other item unless specifically noted as doing so.

11. Tactics that rely on evading combat will result in automatic rejection. You are required to fight, not simply show the flag.

12. All Battle Groups need to be submitted by 2400 hrs CST, on the evening of 30 August, 2014. The opposing force has been selected and will be revealed early in September 2014. Tactics articles must be completed and submitted by 30 September, 2014.
By Lee Storey (Storeylf) on Monday, September 01, 2014 - 06:31 pm: Edit

I'm confused.

Can you better describe the map, do we join by long or short edge (which determines how far the freighters have to travel to reach the planet).

For those without all map boards can you describe the planet - how big is it and what hex does it sit on?

Is that small or large hexes?
are those 2 extra maps added to the center 'row' of maps. Are they added one each end, or both to one side? You say 'this' map edge suggesting both maps go together on one side as below:-

player 1
|ooo|
|oxooo| <- freighters
|ooo|
player 2

x= planet.

That looks odd, but how I'm reading it though!

What size are the freighters?

You talk about being able to have a tractor auction over one of 'your' freighters - but their is no explanation of which are our freighters. You can't board or capture them, so how do they become 'yours'?

Are freighters removed the moment they reach the planet - or is it end of turn removal? Immune to further damage suggests it is not immediate removal, so can it be tractored away again?

By Mike West (Mjwest) on Monday, September 01, 2014 - 06:54 pm: Edit

It isn't that hard. All of the particulars will be answered when Steven posts the full scenario rules. This is just so you can start thinking about it. So, things like the exact type of freighters are current irrelevant. He is just describing the basic setup.

You start with a 3x3 arrangement. One force along the top edge, one force along the bottom edge. I am not willing to dig out the planet maps, but I think the blue planet is just a single hex planet. I assume small hexes, as that seems to be the "normal standard".

Now, add two more map panels on either side of the center row. (Take how you showed it, move the "x" map to the middle of the row, and center the top and bottom rows on the "x" map.). Two independent sets of freighters will enter the map from the edges of the new map panels, one for each side. (So, for example, perhaps the freighters associated with the force on the top enters from the right, and the freighters associated with the force on the bottom enters from the left.) So, basically, there are two sets of freighters; one set is yours, and the other set is your opponents.

Let's assume your force is on the top. Do you go to the freighters on the right to protect them, or to the freighters on the left to attack them? How do you split your forces to do both. It's a nice setup.

By Steve Petrick (Petrick) on Monday, September 01, 2014 - 06:59 pm: Edit

Lee Storey:

Player A's freighters
X
Player A's ships
XXX
XOX
XXX
Player B's ships
X
Player B's freighters

The two outer X's should be seen as centered on the center map panels.

The planet is a single hex in the middle of the center map panel.

The freighters are small ones.

The seven freighters coming in behind your ships are your freighters.

The seven freighters coming in behind your opponent's ships are his freighters. They are basically operating under robot control seeking the planet.

Once a freighter reaches a hex adjacent to the planet, it is removed from play immediately after determining how many cargo boxes it had remaining at that point.

By Lee Storey (Storeylf) on Monday, September 01, 2014 - 07:10 pm: Edit

NVM - ninja'd

Thanks, that makes more sense.

By Mike West (Mjwest) on Monday, September 01, 2014 - 11:59 pm: Edit

Ah, vertically centered, not horizontally centered. My bad. Makes more sense with the freighters coming from behind.

By Steve Petrick (Petrick) on Friday, September 05, 2014 - 02:30 pm: Edit

Matchups:

Matchup A:

ANDROMEDAN: RAIDERS OF THE LOST DOMINATOR
by Lee Storey, HMS Yorkshire

Versus

THOLIAN ROCKY ROAD DEFENSE FORCE
by Tony L. Thomas, USS Tennessee

Matchup B

KLINGON FRIGATE FRENZY
by Art Trotman , HMCS Ontario

FEDERATION ADVANCED SCOUTING PARTY
by Sean Johnson, USS Indiana

Matchup C

HYDRAN BATTLE OF HYDRAX SQUADRON
by Terry OíCarroll, HMAS New South Wales

versus

ROMULAN EAGLE CLASS SQUADRON
by Patrick H. Dillman, USS California

Matchup D:

GORN IRONSCALE SQUADRON
by Fred J. Kreller, USS Colorado

versus

LYRAN HEAVY PICKET GROUP
by Richard Eitzen, USS Florida

Matchup E:

VUDAR LOUNGE LIZARDS
by Mike West, USS Texas

versus

LYRAN DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC "BLAZING CLAWS GROUP"
by Jeffery Smith, USS

Remember, Articles are due by the end of September.

By Lee Storey (Storeylf) on Saturday, September 06, 2014 - 04:42 am: Edit

Do we have full freedom as to where our ships go, and the freighters.

So can our ships go anywhere along the North/South edge (before adding the freighter maps) and can the freighters go anywhere along the Edge of their maps? Can I split the freighters? can I have them facing different directions etc. E.g I'm on the North, can I place Freighters facing South East and South West spread out so that they will head in away from each other until the turning rule kicks in and they have to turn in towards the planet. Or do they have to face directly South (depending on map alignment)?

If a freighter gets tractored such that when it is let go it would go straight off the map what happens? Indeed, just in case it can happen, what happens if it's normal movement would take it off the map - the single map panel sticking out means that map edges might get in the way if they have been turned SE/SW before reaching the main map area.

PS: Was Mwest correct about assuming small hexes? Mwest say small is normal, but in the last 5 years or so I have played with small hexes only once I think, large hexes are our normal. Also are maps joined so that the smaller edges are north/south or east/west?

By Steve Petrick (Petrick) on Saturday, September 06, 2014 - 02:13 pm: Edit

Lee Storey:

==================
By Steve Petrick (Petrick) on Monday, September 01, 2014 - 03:52 pm: Edit

Submissions are closed.

To get everyone to start thinking. The scenario is going to be "force on force," with a complication.

The map will consist initially of nine map panels. A map panel with the blue planet will be the middle panel surrounded by eight open space panels. One player will set up his ships along the north edge, while the other player sets up along the south edge. To this add two additional open space map panels to the center map panels. Along the far edge of this map panel will be seven freighters, no more than two per hex, heading towads the planet. These freighters will move at Speed 8. They will only move directly ahead (no turns or sideslips) until they reach the planet. If a friendly tractor beam is applied to a freighter that is not currently being held by an opposing tractor beam, the freighter will "self destruct." In short, you can have a tractor auction with an enemy over one of your freighters, but once he announces that he will not further contest the tractor link, you must drop your own tractor at the same time.

The freighters will only turn when they reach a point where a turn is necessary to head towards the planet. Thus if a freighter is tractored by the enemy and dragged off and released, it will continue moving in its previous direction unless it is on a line of hexes where a 60 degree turn will have it heading directly towards the planet. If the freighter is pulled past the planet, this creates an exception and the freighter will turn as quickly as it can to move the shortest number of hexes to reach the planet.

Freighters cannot be boarded and captured, but hit-and-run raids can be made against their systems.

The freighters have no crew and no shuttles. If damaged, and unable to make Speed 8, they will make the best speed they can but continue towards the planet. If a warp engine is damaged, it will apply its repair rating to fix the damaged engine. It will only use its damage control to fix warp engine boxes.

Excess power above that needed to move Speed 8 will be used first to refill the battery, then repair damaged shield boxes. Before any shield boxes are damaged, excess power will be applied as shield reinforcement. Depending on which happens first in a turn, battery power will be used either to reinforce a shield, or to repel a tractor link.

The freighters will not fire their phasers for any reason.

Once a freighter reaches a hex adjacent to the planet, it is immune from any further damage, it is removed from the map and any undamaged cargo boxes are considered to have been delivered. The side that delivers the most cargo wins. If both sides deliver the same amount of cargo, the side that did this with the largest number of freighters wins. For example, both players had 25 points of cargo reach the planet, but one player did this with one freighter while the other did it with two freighters, the second player is the winner. If both players are completely tied on cargo delivered to the planet (same number of cargo boxes delievered by the same number of freghters), use the normal victory conditions (the freighters do not count for this) to determine the winner.

So when the pairing are made, you must figure out how to keep the enemy from destroying your freighters, which you cannot control in any way, they simply keep moving towards the planet at Speed 8, while somehow destroying the enemy's freighters.

Questions?

===============

As to the hex size, yes it uses the small hexes and yes we have always used the small hexes for battle groups.

The above instructions the freighters must be facing towards the planet, so no you cannot face them in multiple different directions, they must move towards the planet, it says so. You have no voluntary control over their speed or their direction of movement, again, it says so. A freighter will turn when it is scheduled to move to face the planet and move towards it if it can, if moving straight gets it closer to the planet it does that. It cannot side slip, it only moves towards the planet. The only time they are going to turn is if a turn is necessary to move closer to the planet.

By Lee Storey (Storeylf) on Saturday, September 06, 2014 - 04:35 pm: Edit

I can read it says they must move towards the planet, I can read they must start facing towards the planet. What I can't read is what it does not say.

If the maps lie so that the short edges are east/west then I can place the freighters facing SE or SW whilst being 'towards' the planet, depending on which side of the planet I am on.

If the map panels lie so the short edges are north/south then I can place them S/SE/SW and depending on where they are they will still be facing 'towards' the planet. Only the single hex directly in line with the planet would have a single facing that constitutes 'towards' the planet, every other hex has 2 facings that meet that requirement - If i'm offset from the planet (as at least 5 of them will be) I can head 'in' and then turn down, or I can head down and then turn 'in'. So contrary to what you said above I can meet the above rules and have them facing 3 different directions at game start. So can I place each one differently, so they take different routes in, or so they all turn in to each other and head in as a 2 big stacks. Can I place them apart, I can read it says 2 per hex if you want for sure, but can I place them 14 hexes apart so that they will not all head together in a group?

Also orientation of the map panels effects what distance the freighters have to go.

So I'll ask again. What orientation are the map panels? Can we split the freighters anywhere across the top/bottom edge. Can they all face different directions (that face 'towards' the planet), or must they all face the same direction?

What happens if a freighter must move off the map. e,g. due to being tractored to a place and released where its next forward move (or turn and move) will take it off. Can I in fact just directly shove a freighter off map with a tractor?

Can the warships be placed anywhere along the edge of the 3 map panels that made the top/bottom edge before the freighter panels were added. Can they split up etc. 3 ships on the NE map panel, 3 on the NW panel, 1 on the center panel etc.

By Steve Petrick (Petrick) on Saturday, September 06, 2014 - 05:35 pm: Edit

Okay, try this:

The map consists of 11 map panels using the small hexes.

Nine of the map panels form a square.

Panel #1 is the upper left side of the square. Its 14xx edge abuts the edge of the 01xx edge of Panel #2 and its xx15 edge abuts the xx01 edge of Panel #4.

The 14xx edge of Panel #2 abuts the 01xx edge of Panel #3, and its xx15 edge abuts the xx01 edge of Panel #5 which is the planet panel.

The xx15 edge of Panel #3 abuts the xx01 edge of Panel #6.

The xx01 edge of Panel #4 abuts the xx15 edge of Panel #1. The 14xx edge of Panel #4 abuts the 01xx edge of Panel #5. The xx15 edge of Panel #4 abuts the 01xx edge of Panel #7.

The xx01 edge of Panel #5, which is the panel with the blue planet, if you do not have this panel, the planet is in hex 0807, abuts the xx15 edge of Panel #2. The 14xx edge of Panel #5 abuts the 01xx edge of Panel #6. The xx15 edge of Panel #5 abuts the 01xx edge of Panel #8.

The xx01 edge of Panel #6 abuts the xx15 edge of Panel #3. The xx015 edge of Panel #6 abuts the xx01 edge of Panel #9.

The xx01 edge of Panel #7 abuts the xx15 edge of Panel #4. The 14xx edge of Panel #7 abuts the 01xx edge of Panel #8.

The xx01 edge of Panel #8 abuts the xx15 edge of Panel #5. The 14xx edge of Panel #8 abuts the 01xx edge of Panel #9.

The xx01 edge of Panel #9 abuts the xx15 edge of Panel #6.

The ships (not freighters) of Player A (the first player mentioned in a match-up) set up anywhere along the xx01 edges of Panels #1, #2, and/or #3.

The ships (not freighters) of Player B (the second player identified in a match-up) set up anywhere along the xx15 edges of Panels #7, #8, and/or #9.

Panel #10's xx15 edge abuts the xx01 edge of Panel #2. Player A's freighters set up anywhere along the xx01 edge of this Panel. A maximum of two freighters per hex. All freighters must have a heading of "D". As per the instructions, they may only move straight ahead until they hit a row of hexes that a 60 degree turn allows them to head towards the planet.

Example: If a freighter started in hex 0101 of Map Panel #10, it must continue to move down that row of hexes until (assuming it is not tractored and dragged by an enemy ship or destroyed) it reaches hex 0104 of Panel #5, when it must turn to a heading of "C" and continue moving towards the planet.

Panel #11's xx01 edge abuts the xx15 edge of Panel #8. Player B's freighters set up anywhere along the xx15 edge of this Panel. A maximum of two freighters per hex. All freighters must have a heading of "A". As per the instructions, they may only move straight ahead until they hit a row of hexes that a 60 degree turn allows them to head towards the planet.

By Lee Storey (Storeylf) on Saturday, September 06, 2014 - 05:47 pm: Edit

And the bit about being tractored shoved off the map, or being released such that you'd then have to move off map?

By Steve Petrick (Petrick) on Saturday, September 06, 2014 - 06:03 pm: Edit

We are just going to say that if you try to push a freighter off the map the tractor breaks at that point, if the frieghter's own movement would force it off the map (which if they are moving only in directions A or D except when turning to face the planet) would require dragging them all the way across the map under fire by the enemy in any case) they stop and do tactical maneuvers until they are heading towards the planet again.

By Lee Storey (Storeylf) on Saturday, September 06, 2014 - 06:05 pm: Edit

OK thanks (but drat). With heavy front panels to help survive I was at least thinking about it as an option :)

By Tony L. Thomas (Scoutdad) on Sunday, September 07, 2014 - 10:46 am: Edit

Question: Since I'm facing the Andromedans...

Do Andro freighters have shields, or PA panels?
Based on the ship cards in use, I'd assume shields - but I wouldn't like to base tactics on that, only to find that I'm wrong.

By Lee Storey (Storeylf) on Sunday, September 07, 2014 - 01:13 pm: Edit

Lol - I was going to ask for Andro 'freighters' the other day but thought that might be going a bit far. I'm assuming I'm defending standard small freighters for some odd reason.

By Tony L. Thomas (Scoutdad) on Sunday, September 07, 2014 - 05:25 pm: Edit

You 'snatched' them from the Hydrans and haven't been able to construct robot servitors short enough to fit the decks to retro-fit the freighters with PA panels???

By Lee Storey (Storeylf) on Sunday, September 07, 2014 - 05:59 pm: Edit

We are using these freighters as they were able to carry a no resistance assimilation virus without being spotted en route. The reason the freighters disappear as soon as they reach the planet is that they break apart and spill that virus into the atmosphere.

Your freighters represent the last best chance for a doomed planet - and airborne vaccine, they also need to break apart on contact with the atmosphere.

Why do I want assimilated spider rocks?

By Steve Petrick (Petrick) on Tuesday, September 09, 2014 - 12:52 pm: Edit

The freighters are always just standard small freighters, no matter what empire is defending or attacking them. Whether Andromedans, Maghadim, Iridani, Branthodon, Hiver, etc.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation