Archive through March 13, 2007

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Seeking Opponents: Looking for F&E opponents: Archive through March 13, 2007
By John Robinson (John_R) on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 06:23 pm: Edit

Can I just say (again if I have not before) that I hate you Daniel? You lose one player, still have enough to play, and are trolling for more players?

By Bill Stec (Billstec2) on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 09:00 pm: Edit

Mattsmith,

I live in Hanover PA, and would be up for some F&E if you have a copy (don't own a copy, but have most of the rulebooks). I also meet once a month with some guys (BG Baltimore) down in MD...

By Daniel G. Knipfer (Dgknipfer) on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 07:10 pm: Edit

Clean living and years spent living in gamer's hell. I paid the price and did the time. You could always move to SW Ohio and join us. Come over to the dark side John. Together we could rule the galaxy as father and son.

By Tony L Thomas (Scoutdad) on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 06:36 pm: Edit

Daniel, we have about... ummm... let me count them... 1, 2, plus more... = 8. Eight players. If you're interested, I have a son or two that I could rent to you (just until they graduate from college) that you can add to your group.

By Daniel G. Knipfer (Dgknipfer) on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 04:45 pm: Edit

Tony,

Trying to get out of the college bills I see. Well, there are several small colleges in this area you could ship your boys off too. I'll check up on them once a month at the F&E tabel, provided they remember to stop by.

By Tony L Thomas (Scoutdad) on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 03:23 pm: Edit

Actually, the youngest is hoping for the AF academy up near Chuck's way... so he'd have to be the one to send me the check up reports after each F&E session, but I'll keep your offer in mind (gotta get the grandkids through college eventually :) )

By Larry E. Ramey (Hydrajak) on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 10:16 pm: Edit

Grant and Chuck,

You guys want to start a game? We could do Cyberboard and some face gaming. I'm not adverse to driveing down for a weeked of mass F&E if the guest room is still open.

I think I'm going to Ghengis/Tacti-whatever the heck you call it-con so we can talk then too.

By Peter Thoenen (Eol) on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 10:12 pm: Edit

Dan: Bit far for me.

Any: I just moved to Cleveland and while I can get my SFB fix via SFBOL; never played F&E (though I have the material) and thinking about getting into it. Anybody is the area (or a 1 hour drive) interested?

By laikay (Laikay) on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 12:39 am: Edit

Any player in Hong Kong ?

By Peter Thoenen (Eol) on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 08:56 am: Edit

I could be if you get me a job there ;)

By Bill Stec (Billstec2) on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 03:19 pm: Edit

Looking for any more F&E players in the South Central PA area. I live in Hanover PA, and am setting up a game here with a fellow from near Harrisburg, along with a couple guys from MD/VA... Anyone in the area is welcome to contact me.

By Andrew Patterson (Warhawktbc) on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 04:12 am: Edit

Rob Padilla and myself are challenging someone, or two someones (who would be teammates) to a game of F&E vie E-mail (and cyberboard).

Rulesets - All (Rules not allowed - Variable leader quality for Admirals and MMG's, and Advanced Diplomacy)

Some things are negotiable. If there is a rule you really hate, talk to us. Also optional rules are open for discussion, such as Lyran and Gorn CVA's etc.

Side preference - Coaltion - but negotiable.

I've played with Rob via e-mail, it's not as bad as it seems. Ok it's really not bad at all. If you have questions, they are welcome.

Here's to hoping for a taker or two!

By Tim Losberg (Krager) on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 12:57 pm: Edit

Andrew (or Rob) how does a PBEM game work with CB? how is movement done?

By Andrew Patterson (Warhawktbc) on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 03:27 pm: Edit

Have you used Cyberboard at all?

basically you place all the pieces on the map, and then you move what you want to move, and then you send the other person the file, which they can then play from their last save, and see what was moved.

At they point they can react or you continue with movement etc.

We're happy to teach you, and set you up.

Also if it's just one space at a time, sometimes we just e-mail each other, and update with a full file after an entire set of moves and reactions is complete. I.E. the entire stack gets to where it wants to go, or is pinned.

Hope I didn't confuse you. :)

By Robert Padilla (Zargan) on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 04:16 pm: Edit

I think Tim knows a thing or two about Cyberboard :)

But pretty much what Andy said. To save on move file traffic it's easier lots of times to just email the actual moves and send out fewer move files. The phasing players would be responsible for sending out moves. Combat is where we venture into the lair of Trust. Since there's no good way to do silmultaneous battle lines, what we do is have the attacker send their battle line first, at the bottom of an email so it's not readily viewable. Then the defender on getting the email would set up their battle line in Cyberboard, pick a BIR, then read the email for the attacker's info (battle line, BIR, etc).

For something like this with multiple players involved, I recommend using a dice server such as Irony games for the actual dice rolling. What that does is send out emails to all players at the same time (and shows the roller the results as well).

By Andrew Patterson (Warhawktbc) on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 09:10 pm: Edit

I was going to suggest Irony too!

By Tim Losberg (Krager) on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 12:31 pm: Edit

Robert is correct, I do know my way around CB :)
my questions were more on the email aspect of it.

How is movement is handled via email?
What is the average turnaround to complete a turn?
How many emails does it take to complete a turn?

By Andrew Patterson (Warhawktbc) on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 12:54 pm: Edit

Rob and I simply send an e-mail saying. Moving red claw... 0905, 0904, 1004, 1003... pausing for reaction...

Also for the small stuff, when it's time to destroy tons of Bats, we move LOTS of mini fleets at the same time. And if he or I want to react, we just back up. Now if there is some giant trick you want the opponant to react to, then move one at a time, but when it's normal bats busting, I'm usually not hiding anything. When the Klingons moves across the border, I moved the Bats busters at once, and said let me know If I need to back up in the move file at all.

Back to your first question. So after I pause for reaction, Rob will respond with No reaction, and I move again. We generally have movement done within a couple days, if we are both free a good portion of those days.

How many e-mails to complete the turn? It depends on how many fights need resolved. Each round of combat is an e-mail, although we sometimes get through 3-4 rounds of combat in a day.

Also with Rob and I playing as a team, if I get into a busy spell at work, I trust him, and he can resolve my stuff if I am unable. So how fast it goes, will depend on you Tim? I check my e-mail a couple times a day, and Rob gets his by mobile, its easy for him to reply with - No reaction. :)

By Russell J. Manning (Rjmanning) on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 01:24 pm: Edit

Andrew,

We are playing very similarly in East Wind except we us SFBOL. We log on, set up a room and then use the chat feature and dice roller.

This can be done even without an SFBOL membership by logging in under the demo

By Robert Padilla (Zargan) on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 01:42 pm: Edit

The main constraint here is that Andy tends to work night shift, so it's impractical to even try to be online at the same time. That's why we'd work pretty good as a team, one of us will always be awake to respond :)

Tim, as the turns go on, it does take longer and longer to do a turn. Starting at T1, you can probably do an entire turn in a few days, as there is not much to do. As more races join the fray it gets longer (more combats, more movement, more econ, etc). We also generaly let the attacker just 'do' any battles that do not involve ships, since they get to pick both BIRs anyway. So the beginning of a combat move file will typically have half a dozen or so of these types of battles, and then you get to go onto the good stuff :) Typically the format we use when sending dice rolls is VBIR, Attacker, Defender. So we always roll three dice, and they go in that order, all the time. As to how many emails it takes for any given turn, it's hard to say. Usualy one email for Econ, Production and Raids. Anywhere from two to thirty emails for Operational movement (though for 30 that's with all races involved,and is rare). Combat will generally have as many emails as there are battle hexes (though later on you can run several battles at once, making less emails overall). Reserves can either be a seperate email or just part of the beginning of Combat move file done by the Attacker. And then usually one more email for End of Turn stuff.

Andy has it spot on about movement, though as time goes on, one email can (and usualy will) contain more than one move to react to.

By Lawrence Bergen (Lar) on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 03:47 pm: Edit

We use CB but we open a teamspeak channel (Free download and free use of the public servers) where we can do movement a lot faster than email. Makes a session go a bit faster.

I could see email working but we have also used AIM (using a chatroom) it has a dieroll feature and the advantage of simultaneous reveal for BIR etc. There was also some game specific procedures and nomenclature developed so that we can easily do combat (posting lines, etc). I played against CFant this way and with Mike, Jimmy, Tim, Sean, Todd L, and CFant in a earlier version of the FFA Early Beginnings scenario.

By Andrew Patterson (Warhawktbc) on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 12:26 am: Edit

So Tim are you interested?

By Tim Losberg (Krager) on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 12:23 pm: Edit

sort of..
I tend to have a variable free time schedule and have difficulty maintaining a long term online game with any regularity. Was thinking that the PBEM would offer a slower approach that might work for me.
I also don't have Strat ops yet so that might be an issue.
I wouldn't mind trying a small scenario just to test out the Play by Email but am a little shy about starting up a GW campaign without seeing it in action...

By Chris Upson (Frobozz) on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 12:56 pm: Edit

i would be interested in playing F&E by pbem. i havent played in a long time, but i used to own the game and have played several scenarios so i have basic familiarity.

since i have to buy whatever rules i need, i would prefer a game that didnt require every F&E product under the sun.... but if there were a full scale sacking of the cowardly federation in it for me, even that might be ok.

By Andrew Patterson (Warhawktbc) on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 01:03 am: Edit

Let me talk to my associate Chris, I'll get back to you...

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation