Archive through July 11, 2008

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Seeking Opponents: Looking for F&E opponents: Archive through July 11, 2008
By Joe Stevenson (Ikv_Sabre) on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 07:49 pm: Edit

2 night stay??

I've never heard of a hotel forcing such a thing.

I'll bet they are all empty, and wondering why.

There's no motels? They tend to be cheaper.

Anyone in Baltimore that can host? It's actually a shorter drive from here.

(I just checked, and there is a Super8 at 40 Wetzel Dr, Hanover, PA for $71/night)

By Bill Stec (Billstec2) on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 02:19 pm: Edit

Joe,

There are a couple hole in the wall type motels around here, but I can't vouch for them. They're probably dumps...

Can you justify that $71/night + taxes + gas to come up here and stay at the Super-8? Sure, we'd be glad to have you, but the expense sure is going to add up. Up to you. :)

I suspect your best option would be to leave your place super early Sat AM, get here by 11am, play all day, and stay at that Super-8 after the game.

I doubt that the Baltimore crowd can host; the Battlegroup Baltimore host (Bob) generally has one session a month, but it's typically from 10am to about 4-5p. At least half the tablespace was taken up with SFB/FC games (we F&E guys had the other half). Ken, Jason, and I played the 4 Powers War at his place, and the limited hours did slow things down considerably. Still it was nice to play there.

By Joe Stevenson (Ikv_Sabre) on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 03:28 pm: Edit

Bill,

The total would cost be about $100 per trip. If we don't play more than 1/month, I can swing it.

I'd rather drive down the night before. I don't like to drive 3-4 hours and then try to do anything that requires brain power.

By Patrick Hill (Dread_Lord) on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 09:18 am: Edit

I don't live in Wilmington, but in Conshohocken PA (outside of Philly - near Valley Forge Park). I can't travel very far, my car is a moving junk pile, but I would be happy to host if there are interested players.

By Russell J. Manning (Rjmanning) on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 09:57 am: Edit

Patrick,

I am in Langhorne (Lower Bucks County) so I may be able to make it. Also, I believe there is one other F&Eer that lives on that side of the city.

By Paul Franz (Andromedan) on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 09:59 am: Edit

Patrick,
I live in Reading and I work in King Of Prussia. Of course, I am not interested in F&E. Just didn't realize you lived so close.

By Joe Stevenson (Ikv_Sabre) on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 10:31 am: Edit

Patrick, Russell,

Cool. Maybe we can get a game going.

By Chuck Strong (Raider) on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 01:45 pm: Edit

It looks like Joe is working JOECON-I: The F&E Gathering of the East...

Joe: Thanks for your leadership in developing an F&E base out-east.

We may need to propose a code-name for Federation OPBs as 'Stevenson Bases' (a la Higgins Boats from D-Day...)

:)

By Patrick Hill (Dread_Lord) on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 06:46 pm: Edit

Paul:

Goodness - Reading to KOP; that is quite a trip for every day! Well, I am also an SFB player - so if you are ever interested in some f2f let me know!

Joe, Russell:

That would be very cool to play a game. My weekends are really pretty free (if planned ahead of time) so I can be really pretty flexible.

Just as forewarning though I can't say I am an experienced F&E player, but I am enthusiastic.

By Russell J. Manning (Rjmanning) on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 08:33 pm: Edit

Well, it sounds like we might havea game going. My email is in my profile if we want to start discussing via email

By Ken Watanabe (Watank) on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 05:12 pm: Edit

Would this be in addition to, or in lieu of, playing at Bill's in Hanover? Looks like Conshohocken's a 3 hr drive from Gaithersburg MD, which would be tempting for an overnight/weekend deal, but not so much for a day trip.

By Russell J. Manning (Rjmanning) on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 09:09 pm: Edit

Well, Hanover is a bit far for me. I have a 2 year old (going on 8) and an 8month old. I can probably get something like 1 saturday a month from the wife but with my reenacting schedule there is no way I could justify another whole weekend.

By Joe Stevenson (Ikv_Sabre) on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 09:11 pm: Edit

Ken,

How far is Hanover from you?

By Chuck Strong (Raider) on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 12:03 pm: Edit

There is a good chance that I will be pulling special duty at the Pentagon Sep-Nov and getting a temporary apartment in Crystal City (just across the river from DC). This may be a excellent time to playtest ISC Wars with some East Coast F&E players on Friday evenings & Saturdays. Driving 4 hours in any direction from DC may be in play also. Details as to follow...

By Joe Stevenson (Ikv_Sabre) on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 12:11 pm: Edit

Chuck,

at the very least, you can pay many visits to Pete DiMitri and I! :)

By Ken Watanabe (Watank) on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 02:38 pm: Edit

Joe,

takes a little under 2 hrs from the Shady Grove Metro station (where I pick Jason up) to Bill's place in Hanover.

Chuck,

you'll be right next door to Jason Schaff then :)

/me checks fall calendar to make sure weekends are free

By Joe Stevenson (Ikv_Sabre) on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 07:04 pm: Edit

Ken,

Is Conshohocken really 3 hours from you? I can drive to you in 3-1/2 hours, and I'm much farther north.

I REALLY wish there was someone in Wilmington, DE. They'd be about 2 hours or so for all of us.

By Ken Watanabe (Watank) on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 11:40 am: Edit

Joe,

Google tells me 3hrs to Conshohocken, AAA says 2.5 hrs (both send me around the DC Beltway, through Baltimore and up I-95, then around Philly)... might be able to shave some time off depending on how heavy my lead foot is - although I try to avoid I-95 in Delaware because of the bottlenecks at the tollbooths.

Might be able to try and come in from the other direction via Lancaster (which I think is ~2hrs... hrm, AAA saying 3.5 hrs that route)... I'll play with some waypoints and see what I can come up with.

By Matthew G. Smith (Mattsmith) on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 11:57 am: Edit

I'm going to throw this out there, but I don't know what's going to happen.

I live in Elizabethtown, PA. That's about 2 hrs from Ken, about 3 hours from Joe, about 1 hr from Bill, about 90 minutes from Patrick, and about 2.5 hours from Crystal City.

If that commute works for all of you, I'll ask my wife about hosting a game at our house. No guarantees, but maybe a chance.

(Ken, if you're able to "play with waypoints" to make the Gaithersburg - Conshohocken trip in 2 hours, via Lancaster, let me know the route!! I go to DC about 6 times a year, and from E-town it's about 2 hours by Turnpike / 15 / 270 and also 2 hours by 30 / 83 / 695 / 95.)

By Joe Stevenson (Ikv_Sabre) on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 12:11 pm: Edit

Matt,

What available rooming options are there nearby?

The one good part of E-town is that after I finish the project I'm on, I MAY be doing quite a bit of work in E-town (Sanofi), and if so, work gets to pick up the hotel! :)

By Matthew G. Smith (Mattsmith) on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 01:24 pm: Edit

I've never heard of Sanofi.

We have a Glaxo Smith-Kline where the Wyeth used to be in Marietta. Is that where you'd be working?

By Christopher Scott Evans (Csevans) on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 08:32 pm: Edit

While I selfishly prefer Hanover (I live 5 minutes from Bill Stec) Elizabeth town is certainly within range if you folks can tolerate a rookie.

By John Robinson (John_R) on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 08:43 pm: Edit

Chuck - Dave and I two hours south. And our buddy Chris (the one who swears he will play when ISC Wars is released) lives just south of Crystal City (right across Rouote 1 from National).

Now, Dave may use some lame excuse of offciating football on Saturdays, but I don't have that to worry about.

By Joe Stevenson (Ikv_Sabre) on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 09:05 pm: Edit

Wow... this could be a big game :)

By Christopher Scott Evans (Csevans) on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 09:26 pm: Edit

Perhaps enough for individual fleet commanders?

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation