Archive through December 28, 2008

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Seeking Opponents: Looking for F&E opponents: Archive through December 28, 2008
By Joe Stevenson (Ikv_Sabre) on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 11:56 am: Edit

Looking for anyone in the NJ/NY/Western CT/Eastern PA areas for ftf F&E. I can host, or drive to you.

By Tony L Thomas (Scoutdad) on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 12:13 pm: Edit

Plasmaboy (Mark Thomas) headed to Ft. Huachuca, Arizona this morning and will be stationed there for at least 57 weeks. If anyone's in that area and lookign to play SFB / F&E / Fed Comm, contact me at the address in my profile and I'll forward your info to Mark.

By Robert Padilla (Zargan) on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 11:44 pm: Edit

Man, I should realy look at this topic more than twice a year :)

Joe, we should try to find a time to get together, both of us living in NJ and all. And I never realized Matt lived fairly close also. I should probably look at profiles once in a while too!

By Joe Stevenson (Ikv_Sabre) on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 12:20 am: Edit

Sounds good to me, Rob.

I have a friend in Point Pleasant that wants to learn, and another guy in Woodbridge that I used to play with way back when that is interested in playing.

I can host; I have a man-cave where we can leave the game set up. Pete seems to have gone silent, so it lokos like that game will be shelved, so we can start soon.

By Robert Padilla (Zargan) on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 12:49 am: Edit

That would be cool. I have not played a FtF game in I don't know how long. It'll probably feel weird actually writing down my econ :)

What kind of play schedule would you be thinking of? I could host also, but it sounds like the people you mentioned are closer to you than to me.

By Joe Stevenson (Ikv_Sabre) on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 01:00 am: Edit

Sunday's are probably better (but Saturdays aren't out of the question), at least until the baseball season starts. I'm thinking 2 sessions/month.

Actually, for now, until I find steady work, any day really works, although that may be tough for Matt if he were inclined to join us.

We have a guest room, so if anyone is coming from a longer distance and wants to stay over either the night before or the night of gameday, that's fine.

By Ken Kazinski (Kjkazinski) on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 12:15 pm: Edit

Joe,

Where are you guys located and how far is it from Syracuse, NY?

By Robert Padilla (Zargan) on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 01:08 pm: Edit

I'd probably be looking at Saturdays myself. That's my day to do stuff :)

Sunday's would work for me, but I have to quit early, so that's probably not desirable. But any other day is pretty much out, as I work 5 days a week (though a Friday into Saturday might be plausable, just not all the time).

By Joe Stevenson (Ikv_Sabre) on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 07:16 pm: Edit

Ken,

Union, NJ. Probably 4 hours.

Rob,

I can do Saturdays.

By Lee Hanna (Lee) on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 10:01 pm: Edit

I've got my occasional hankering for some F&E by CB. Anyone up for beating me up? I prefer smaller (like sector) scenarios, but I can be talked around into bigger things.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 06:31 pm: Edit

Only four hours? Enough time to drive home and back while Joe does his economics form.

By Joe Stevenson (Ikv_Sabre) on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 12:35 am: Edit

Yeah, but I'm doing econ for 12 turns at once!

(and I'm actually not even kidding :))

By Joe Stevenson (Ikv_Sabre) on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 07:47 pm: Edit

I'm looking to get a game of Early Beginnings going, online, using Cyberboard.

By Joe Stevenson (Ikv_Sabre) on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 07:48 pm: Edit

Ken,

4 hours is a long drive, but of you are willing to make it, I can put you up for the night (either come down the night before, or stay the night of)

I really want a ftf game!

By Clell Flint (Clell) on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 09:33 am: Edit

How big are the files you need to pass back and forth playing a cyberboard game. I have very slow internet access so wonder if my access could handle the file size.

By Joe Stevenson (Ikv_Sabre) on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 09:38 am: Edit

about 500K

By William Jockusch (Verybadcat) on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 09:44 am: Edit

As long as no one has a problem with the game file, you pass move files back and forth. Their size depends on the gamebox and scenario file you are using. With the latest ones, they seem to run about 440k. One of my games uses an earlier version of the gamebox, and the move files for that game are about 240k.

However, in most games, it seems that sooner or later one of the players has a problem, and to recover they need the game file from the other player. This starts out small but grows over the course of the game. I have one that is almost 50M [at which point the program had an "array out of bounds" error, so we got rid of the history and resumed; the new one is now up to 5MB]

By Lee Hanna (Lee) on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 12:13 pm: Edit

Refresh my memory, please, what's Early Beginnings?

By Robert Padilla (Zargan) on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 12:48 pm: Edit

William, you can get around that problem by saving a copy of the original game file for your game. Take that copy, give it a new name and forget about it. Then when your gamefile gets really big (50 Megs and up), open up that original gamefile, save it as a new name, and than take the latest move file from your current game and load it into your "new" gamefile. Bingo, now you have a nice small gamefile again.

I personally keep the old gamefiles, and put them into a zip file under maximum compression. They shrink down pretty well, and now you have a living history of your entire game.

By Ken Kazinski (Kjkazinski) on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 08:52 pm: Edit

Joe,

When are you guys looking to get together?

I have a heavy travel schedule until the end of the year.

Also, it has been a real long time since I have played.

Ken

By Joe Stevenson (Ikv_Sabre) on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 10:14 pm: Edit

Ken,

Wow. You must really be jonesing to play!

This weekend is out, and I'm not sure about Thanksgiving weekend. We have a guest coming adn staying until Dec 3, but if I don't have to entertain him, then that would be OK.

Anytime in Dec would be OK, too.

We probably wouldn't get past the first couple turns, so if you wanted to play one of the empires that come in later, that would work out fine.

By Robert Padilla (Zargan) on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 07:58 am: Edit

Joe,

Is Union right outside of NY City? I'm trying to get an idea of how far away you are, but apparently there are like half a million entries for Union, NJ in my mapping sotfware :) Most are telling me you're about 2 hours away from me, which is not bad.

By Ken Kazinski (Kjkazinski) on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 11:15 pm: Edit

No Joe - just looking to see if I can fit it into my schedule. Holiday's are definately out.

By Thomas Mathews (Turtle) on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 09:04 pm: Edit

Cyberboard F&E? is that possible? I'd like to play some F&E. I haven't played in a long time.

By Mike Curtis (Nashvillen) on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 09:44 pm: Edit

Thomas, check out the stickys at the top of this page:

http://www.starfleetgames.com/discus/messages/37/7155.html?1228577296

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation