Archive through January 05, 2009

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Seeking Opponents: Looking for F&E opponents: Archive through January 05, 2009
By Ted Fay (Catwhoeatsphoto) on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 10:15 pm: Edit

Thomas, I might be up for a cyberboard game.

By Lee Hanna (Lee) on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 11:16 pm: Edit

I, too, am up for F&E by CB.

By Thomas Mathews (Turtle) on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 09:24 am: Edit

Some of the things you have to do confused me at first. But after about 20 - 30 minutes of looking through the menus it seemed to be easier to understand how to put counters where you want. I'll have to check my rule book for setup stuff. I've forgotten way more than I thought.

I do like the cyberboard. It looks a good way to keep track of fleets and stuff for just a regular FTF game incase the cat or kids decide to play with the real board.

By Daniel G. Knipfer (Dgknipfer) on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 12:53 pm: Edit

Lee,

Just cause you're allergic to my kid's cats. :(

By Lee Hanna (Lee) on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 01:02 pm: Edit

Bingo! Put me down as a member of the He-Man Lyran-haters Club.

By Ken Rotar (Sir_Krotar) on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 01:12 pm: Edit

I'm also interested in a CB game. Is it possible to play with partners?

By Thomas Mathews (Turtle) on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 01:59 pm: Edit

Depends on interest and timing, but you could play a game with 3 or more players as well. Just have to work out the details in advance.

I still haven't had time to check my rulebook. (need to get an updated book before I actually play, I didn't realize my book was pre Y2K rules)

By Matthew G. Smith (Mattsmith) on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 06:14 pm: Edit

Hey, if you guys DO want to play with partners, I'd like to be the Hydran player.

You think we could get 7? Of course, the Feds would have to wait about 6 months or more to start to play, and the Roms / Gorns could be next year at this time.

By Lee Hanna (Lee) on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 09:26 pm: Edit

Well, why don't we start with 4 bodies, and see if we make it to Turn 7. Then we can start trying to recruit the next three players.

Or we could try the 4PW, or its alternate, or some connected sectors of one of the mid-war scenarios.

I'm up for anything, in or out of the GW.

By Roger Rardain (Sky_Captain) on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 09:52 pm: Edit

I have looked at CB, and it is quite impressive.
Kudos to the people who have worked on it.

I'm interested in a CB game, but I'm not quite sure how it works.
For example, how does Lee know what fleet counter Ted is moving?
Both have CB, but are they linked somehow?

The reason I'd like to get involved is I have on played a bit of F&E, and I'm tired of getting creamed by Dan Knipfer. :)
I need to play against other people.

By Thomas Mathews (Turtle) on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 11:32 pm: Edit

I like Matt's suggestion for the GW till turn 7 and if someone wants to play the Feds then we can add them. I'd like to be the Kzinti's.

By Joe Stevenson (Ikv_Sabre) on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 11:41 pm: Edit

I'll take the Feds :)

By Thomas Mathews (Turtle) on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 08:16 am: Edit

So far as I see it we have the following to start a GW campaign atleast on the western side of the map.

Joe as the Feds
Turtle as the Kzintis
Matt as the Hydrans
Lee as the both the Lyrans and Klingons at the moment.

The nice thing about the cyberboard is I can play on either my desktop or my laptop as I have it on both.

By Daniel G. Knipfer (Dgknipfer) on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 08:31 am: Edit

Rodger,

I'm glad you think so highly of me. Just wish I was living up to it in our current table top game. I think you're selling yourself a little short there.

By Roger Rardain (Sky_Captain) on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 10:47 am: Edit

Lee,

I'd like to take the Lyrans in a CB game.

Dan,

Did you notice the smiley?
I have learned a LOT playing F&E with you. We do need to get together again so I can retrieve my rulebooks for a CB game, though.

By Lee Hanna (Lee) on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 12:43 pm: Edit

@Roger: CB is played by email, so Ted moves some of his fleet counters, and then emails me the file. What I've seen so far is that Ted could make all of his moves that I could not react to, and then 1 (one) that I could react to, and send me the file. I email back either: a move file with my reaction; an email with my reaction in text; or an email saying "no react." Rinse. Repeat.

Battles (especially unimportant ones) tend to get played by one player, making "obvious" assumptions for the other guy, or relying on information from that opponent, like "IN 1407, I'm fighting two rounds, direct on your scout and then let it fall."

If two players are playing while online for some hours, they can blow through a turn pretty quickly. If they are not online at the same time, things can bog down with hours or days between move/reaction. Please note that I am one of those slower guys, with only a few hours of online time per day.

I've only tried 2+ players once, that could break down into two fronts pretty quickly, so someone would have to be careful to integrate the results. Actually, I'm not 100% sure how that would work, so it might be more like, "all of the Hydran Front moves, then all the Kzinti Front, then combats."

By Thomas Mathews (Turtle) on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 01:42 pm: Edit

Anyone tried playing with the use of teamspeak/roger wilco and/or instant messaging programs like yahoo messenger or the microsoft one?

I think the use of these may speed up the game a little. atleast in terms of the actual combat rounds. Where both sides have the same copy of the map and could resovle their battles of individual fleets.

Again it is a time issue and does require some thought.

By Mike Curtis (Nashvillen) on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 02:06 pm: Edit

BGM uses YIM with a live chat to talk togeather when we do movement online. One player is the controller(usually the movement player) and does the moves while the others keep track on their computers. Then the move file is sent to update everyones file. The moves made by the others is discarded.

Maybe you should move this to the Cyberboard topic under F&E?

By Joshua Massey (Thnre) on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 11:18 pm: Edit

Thomas Mathews-

Your profile shows you located in Milton, GA...do you still live around there? Mapquest shows that to be 45 miles from where I'm at, any chance you'd be interested in a FtF game?

By Thomas Mathews (Turtle) on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 12:02 am: Edit

Yes Joshua. I'm still here in the new city of Milton formerly part of Alpharetta. I don't know about FtF. depends on the wife, work and other issues. I sometimes work on saturdays and definately have to work some nights each week.

By Joshua Massey (Thnre) on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 12:37 pm: Edit

Thomas-
Understand, I'm available most weekends on saturday and sunday (and some during the week), so if you decide you want to give it a shot let me know, I've got a large game room with a dedicated F&E table, just haven't had any luck convincing the other guys I wargame with to play this game (or finding other players even close to here).

By Lawrence Bergen (Lar) on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 07:31 pm: Edit

"Anyone tried playing with the use of teamspeak/roger wilco and/or instant messaging programs like yahoo messenger or the microsoft one?"

Yes I have played games with Teamspeak. It helps.

I have also played games using an AIM chat room. You can invite people to watch the game as well as the players. It allowed for die rolls right in the chat room.

We would move like this when all necessary parties were present:

KmdrKang: Back to Klingon side....from K-East Fleet
Ardak11: k
KmdrKang: 2D7,D6,F5Q,E4 2415, 2414 END MOVE
Ardak11: nr
KmdrKang: Next from East Fleet D7,2D6, F5Q,E4 2516, 2615 end move
Ardak11: nr,k
KmdrKang: k one sec...need to strech
KmdrKang: D6d from 2318 to 7th SB
KmdrKang: from East Fleet E4 2516, F5 2515, F5 2614, F5L 2514
KmdrKang: Balance of East Fleet to 7th SB
KmdrKang: with 2PT
KmdrKang: LMK when ready for more
Ardak11: ok
KmdrKang: okay as in ready?
Ardak11: yes go on with your bad self...

This way things move quickly as in the FTF games and one person is designated ahead of time as keeping track of the moves on the map and all (dedicated) <wink> players should have their maps open and follow along as things progress.

By Lawrence Bergen (Lar) on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 07:49 pm: Edit

Combat is also easy but there should be an 'agreed upon beforehand' nomenclature so you can do things quickly and clearly for instance:

Kumerian11: [gDN] gBC/pt, 4 gBC, fCC/pt, fCC, gCL, fDD, gDD 103/0
TSLovas2006: [BCH], {SC}, 2xCC w/PT, 3xCA, 4xCW, 1xDW, BATS (6), 4 PDU, 1 PGB, 1PRD = 148/7 EW
Kumerian11: BIR 4
TSLovas2006: 1
OnlineHost: Kumerian11 rolled 1 6-sided die: 3
OnlineHost: Kumerian11 rolled 1 6-sided die: 6
OnlineHost: TSLovas2006 rolled 1 6-sided die: 2
Kumerian11: 28
TSLovas2006: 37-3 for 34 total damage
Kumerian11: flip the BATS for 24, 3 more for the stranded ftrs, 1 to spend
TSLovas2006: spend em
TSLovas2006: Cripple a DW for 6...5 minus points next round
Kumerian11: Cripple 2 fCC, gCL, fDD, gDD, -3 next turn
Kumerian11: [gDN] gBC/pt, 4 gBC, fCL/pt, gCL, 3 fCL 98/0
TSLovas2006: [BCH], {SC}, 2xCC w/PT, 4xCA, 4xCW, cripple BATS (3), 3 PDU, 1 PGB, 1PRD = 150 w 7 EW
TSLovas2006: [BCH], {SC}, 2xCC w/PT, 4xCA, 4xCW, cripple BATS (3), 3 PDU, 1 PGB, 1PRD = 141 w 7 EW
Kumerian11: BIR 3
TSLovas2006: 4
OnlineHost: TSLovas2006 rolled 1 6-sided die: 6
Kumerian11: 27-5=22 total
TSLovas2006: 56-3 for 53 total damage
Kumerian11: kill the bats for 12, 3 more for ftrs, spend 7
TSLovas2006: spend em
TSLovas2006: Cripple CW for 7
Kumerian11: Crippled 2 gBC, gCL, 4 fCL for 52, Killed one FCL so -2

In the above example a few things...

- The lower case g and f are indicating the race of a mixed fleet of ships.
- [ ] these brackets indicate Form Box.
- { } these brackets indicate Free scout box
- ( ) can indicate a group of some sort either a battle group or carrier group.
- The 103/0 in the initial battle line indicates compot/EW rating
- The online host die roller is a specific notation that you have to type in and tell it what dice to roll.

Additional notes
- I have also used several outside the chat window die rollers with success....your group should decide beforehand.
- It helps for game play to use a common excel econ form that can be easily deciphered by the other players.

By Russell J. Manning (Rjmanning) on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 10:36 pm: Edit

In East Wind, we use a combination of telephone and SFBOL to play. Essentially, we get on a three-way call on out cell phones and use SFBOL as the place to type out Battlelines, do secret and simultaneous reveal of BIR and roll dice.

As long as we play on weekends or after 9 between free long distance and free minutes, the cell phone use isn't expensive.

By Tim Losberg (Krager) on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 07:21 pm: Edit

For Dogs of War, we use Skype for Op move and resolve combat using AIM chat room and dice roller.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation