Archive through August 08, 2011

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Seeking Opponents: Looking for F&E opponents: Archive through August 08, 2011
By Mike Curtis (Nashvillen) on Saturday, August 06, 2011 - 01:48 pm: Edit

This is how it is looking right now. It is something simple, right now.

F&E Players

By Mike Curtis (Nashvillen) on Saturday, August 06, 2011 - 05:43 pm: Edit

You will have to create an ESRI global account then once that is created go back and register that account with ArcGIS Online, then log in and have it remember you. You should be able to then click on the link to make it work.

There is an easier way to do this, but it means me having to ask for resources from work to do so. This way is total free.

By William Stec (Billstec2) on Sunday, August 07, 2011 - 06:59 am: Edit

Nothing shows when I go there, Mike. Blank page.

By Jean Sexton (Jsexton) on Sunday, August 07, 2011 - 08:25 am: Edit

Bill, it is working for me. Did you create your account first?

This will be highly useful for Bampton Stewpot strikes. :)

By Koen van der Pasch (Croga) on Sunday, August 07, 2011 - 09:19 am: Edit

errr... it's actually working for me without an account... When I click the link now I get the entire map.

Wouldn't Google Maps be able to make such a thing without the need for an account though?

By Mike Curtis (Nashvillen) on Sunday, August 07, 2011 - 09:47 am: Edit

Bill, Do you get to the map site and it is just blank? How far do you get?

By Mike Curtis (Nashvillen) on Sunday, August 07, 2011 - 09:52 am: Edit

Koen, This is what I know how to do and I am doing it for free. If you want to do it with Google Maps, then please feel free to do so.

BTW, ESRI is the premier GIS software company in the world and what I am putting in is also usable by my software at work to be able to do more things in the future.

By Thomas Mathews (Turtle) on Sunday, August 07, 2011 - 09:52 am: Edit

I had the blank page without an account, but I think you can view the map without an account if you tried recent maps and the click the link for F&E.

By having the account you can save the map to your account. Making it much easier to find later on.

Thanks for the good work FEAR.

By Koen van der Pasch (Croga) on Sunday, August 07, 2011 - 10:36 am: Edit

Mike; My apologies if it sounded as criticism, wasn't meant that way. And yours are the best reasons to choose this format for sure.

I'll look into ESRI sometime soon. There's a lot of projects in my line of work (IT project management) that request, if not require, GIS knowledge.

By Mike Curtis (Nashvillen) on Sunday, August 07, 2011 - 10:39 am: Edit

Koen, no apology necessary. I have 20+ years of GIS experience. If I can help in any way with what you might need, I have numerous contacts across the US in the GIS field. If I don't know the answer, I am sure I know someone who does!

Feel free to use my email in my profile.

By Jason E. Schaff (Jschaff297061) on Sunday, August 07, 2011 - 10:48 am: Edit

Probably a stupid question:

Is there any way to scroll the locater map? I see the zoom bar, but not scroll arrows of any sort.

By William Stec (Billstec2) on Sunday, August 07, 2011 - 10:57 am: Edit

Mike

I figured out the issue. I have to access this BBS via a proxy server (a real hassle, let me tell you), and somehow it was filtering out something. When I pasted the actual URL into a new browser window it came up.

But for some reason my email to you did not work I guess, because I don't show on the map.

By Mike Curtis (Nashvillen) on Sunday, August 07, 2011 - 11:17 am: Edit

Click and drag on the map to pan.

By Mike Curtis (Nashvillen) on Sunday, August 07, 2011 - 11:19 am: Edit

Ok, so from now on use this link if you have a proxy server or are experiencing other issues.(copy and paste): http://bit.ly/pV5TxV

By Mike Curtis (Nashvillen) on Sunday, August 07, 2011 - 11:21 am: Edit

Also, it is my understanding there are thousands of F&E players out there and less than 20 have emailed me! Come on guys, don't you want to know where your next opponent lives?

Yeah, you can play F&E by email with CB and Vassal, but there is nothing like watching your son almost pull off a "woobie" on an unsuspecting victim! :O

By Mike Curtis (Nashvillen) on Sunday, August 07, 2011 - 04:39 pm: Edit

23 people have responded. I know there are more of you out there!

By Koen van der Pasch (Croga) on Sunday, August 07, 2011 - 05:22 pm: Edit

Okay, okay, just add me too then ;)
I don't play much F&E as, well, there really aren't any opponents here. But if someone finds me on that map and lives close then I'll definitely make some time (and room)
(mail sent by the way. You might, however, want to add a "country" field to the template)

By Mike Curtis (Nashvillen) on Sunday, August 07, 2011 - 06:06 pm: Edit

I am going to add that afterwards. I didn't think there were so many out of North America players. Almost 1/5th of those that have responded so far have been outside of North America.

We are over 25, need more data!

By Patrick H. Dillman (Patrick) on Sunday, August 07, 2011 - 08:17 pm: Edit

I'd add myself, but I haven't played F&E since '96. And I wasn't very good back then.

I'm just now getting cyberboard set up... Then I need to buy the current rules.

By Steve Wagner (Waggs) on Sunday, August 07, 2011 - 08:45 pm: Edit

Patrick,

I haven't played a "real" game in years myself and have never been any good!!!

I added myself anyway.

By Kosta Michalopoulos (Kosmic) on Sunday, August 07, 2011 - 09:04 pm: Edit

Mike, are you able to geocode Canadian postal codes, or only U.S. zip codes? If not, I can look mine up at work tomorrow and pass it along.

By Mike Curtis (Nashvillen) on Monday, August 08, 2011 - 01:05 am: Edit

I am able to geocode anyone with a valid address on the surface of this planet.

By Mike Curtis (Nashvillen) on Monday, August 08, 2011 - 02:25 pm: Edit

We are approaching 50 locations, keep 'em coming!

If you want to look at it: http://bit.ly/pV5TxV

By John de Michele (Jdemichele) on Monday, August 08, 2011 - 02:37 pm: Edit

Wow, I hope I'm not the only F&E player on the west coast ;).

John.

By Troy Latta (Saaur) on Monday, August 08, 2011 - 02:51 pm: Edit

If nothing else, Chuck Strong will be out there soon.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation