Damage scores and Klingon shields

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: A Call to Arms Star Fleet: ACTASF Book 1.2 (The ADB Revision): Damage scores and Klingon shields
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
Archive through November 16, 2013  25   11/18 05:14am
Archive through January 23, 2014  25   01/24 05:33pm

REVISED DAMAGE SCORES
The formula for calculating the damage scores of the various ships works well for most ships but in some exceptional cases it produces a result that is clearly wrong. We are evaluating every ship and will begin listing corrections to some damage scores in future updates.
As part of this revision, the Klingon double-shield rule will disappear. (There is no option to modify the rule; it must disappear.)
We will, eventually, release revised ship cards in an improved format incorporating player suggestions.
This may well be an across-the-board revision changing every score in the game, or it may just change a few ships. We will see how playtesting of weapons rules works.
By Tony L. Thomas (Scoutdad) on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 10:42 pm: Edit

Crippled is:
Divide by three, round down.

By Gary Carney (Nerroth) on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 10:52 pm: Edit

Got it.

Oh, how are Cargo boxes treated? I don't know if there was scope for a new Cargo Trait or not, but for the time being would you simply add it to the ship's pre-divide total?

(If there was a way to list a ship's cargo capacity separately, I'd be worried about the double dipping risk. Unless the hull count referred to the boxes themselves, and a separate rating -should there be any - count as the goods being held in them.)

By Tony L. Thomas (Scoutdad) on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 10:59 pm: Edit

Cargo boxes are counted in the total before dividing.
Unlike SFB and FC where you can have 'mission oriented' scenarios - ACTASF is a battle system.
You can have tactical challenges that involve some more complicated aspects of the game, but taken at its basest form - it is just a battle simulator and it does lack the depth that SFB or even Federation Commander has in some aspects... and cargo is one of them.

By Gary Carney (Nerroth) on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 05:14 pm: Edit

To clarify, will civilian units and bases now use the same formula as warships when working out their respective Damage scores?

By Ben Rubery (Ben2) on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 05:33 pm: Edit

Possible. The spreadsheet I sent Tony included a sheet on civilians and it fixes the problems with them in the initial rulebook. The cargo holds are no longer an issue, and Orion pirates can cripple civilian ships.

By Gary Carney (Nerroth) on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 06:01 pm: Edit

By fix, do you mean you had some sort of specific thing in mind when it coems to determining a civilian ship's cripple threshold? Or in that the current warship formula avoids the problems that had been there for transports and bases in the past?

And to go back to warships, will each "mission variant" of a given hull have its own distinct count, or will they have a common Damage score across the board?

For example, a SparrowHawk-A might come to a different total than a SparrowHawk-C, due to the number of boxes in their respective modules. If that resulted in two separate Damage scores for the SPA and SPC, will we see this difference here?

Or to use another example, the total boxes on a King Eagle would be higher than what you see on a War Eagle, mostly due to the KE's larger warp engines. So would that mean that, even subtracting the armour boxes from each total (so as not to double dip), the KE will now get a higher Damage score than the WE?

By Tony L. Thomas (Scoutdad) on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 06:19 pm: Edit

Total boxes plus frame divided by three, rounded up.

Take what you will from that. I cannot make it any simpler.

Unless we go:
All frigates, period - have 15 damage.
All destroyers have 20
All light cruisers have 25
All heavy cruiser have 30
Heavy battle cruisers 35
dreadnoughts 40
Battleships 50

War in the description adds 2 damage
New in the description adds 2 damage
Command in the description adds 1 damage
Fast reduces the damage by 2
Strike reduces the damage by 2
No other descriptor changes damage any amount, positive or negative.

You want to go this way instead?

By Gary Carney (Nerroth) on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 06:33 pm: Edit

The current formula is fine. I just wanted to be clear on whether it was being evenly applied to those unit types which had caused problems in the past.

I wouldn't want to see cookie-cutter fleets done up for the sake of simplicity (far from it, given my track record of favouring certain corners of this universe). But for what it's worth, I do appreciate and support the efforts to standardize the conversion formula, so that this diversity can be expressed in a consistent manner. I hope it will help make version 1.2 the definitive version of the core game, and serve as a building block for what lies in store going forward.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation