General notes

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: A Call to Arms Star Fleet: ACTASF Book 1.2 (The ADB Revision): General notes
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

This topic is for general notes, not for rules development.
By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Friday, November 15, 2013 - 05:06 pm: Edit

ADB has said it will fulfill the Mongoose promise to make free PDFs available to people who bought the original books. Details to follow when we have a PDF.

It would be reasonable to assume that Book 1.2 will be a print on demand black and white paperback, at least until sales prove that the investment of ten thousand dollars in hardback color books makes economic sense. Frankly, we'd rather do it as PDFs and PODs so that rules issues can be corrected easily.

By Bill Stec (Billstec2) on Sunday, November 17, 2013 - 09:51 am: Edit

I think the POD method, like Captain's Log is the way to go.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Sunday, November 17, 2013 - 05:31 pm: Edit

I think I got all of the topics set up, although Tony may not be ready for all of them yet. If I missed one, let me know. I did have to move two of them I put in the wrong place.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Wednesday, November 20, 2013 - 10:02 am: Edit

Notes for Mongoosers:

1. You are most Welcome on our BBS. I think you will find our forum runs very smoothly. Each game has its own constituency.

2. Yes, I am the Steve Cole who does thousand page rules books, but that's not all I do or have done. In a 40 year game design/publishing career I have printed more games with less than a hundred pages than most designers. I've have done games with one page. Tribbles vs. Klingons has four. Fed Commander KB/RB is about the same size as ACTASF.

3. There was a lot of negative reaction to my suggestion on how to fix the drone rules -- by people who never tried them. (They also missed that I set up two topics, one for that and one for a modified set of direct fire drone rules.) Wait for the play testing. Two-thirds of the rules I have written in 40 years were heavily modified or replaced after play testing. I said forty years ago that my motto as a designer was "I shall sell no game before it's tame." Besides, my ideas are just ideas for Tony Thomas to go work on.

By A. David Merritt (Adm) on Tuesday, November 26, 2013 - 03:35 pm: Edit

I am noticing a lot of comparisons between ACTA and FC/SFB in the various discussions about changes/fixes for the 1st edition. From my observation, isn't ACTA more of a fit between FC and F&E? If "yes" perhaps some things like Turn Modes, and seeking weapon counters/seeking weapons influencing movement are less critical?

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Tuesday, November 26, 2013 - 03:54 pm: Edit

It is a tactical game, not a strategic game. F&E isn't even on the same spectrum as SFB, FC, Starmada, or ACTA.

Yes, turn modes and seeking weapons influencing movement ARE critical. Absolutely, positively, irrevocably critical. There won't be an ACTASF-1.2 without them, but they won't hurt ACTA a bit if handled correctly.

By A. David Merritt (Adm) on Tuesday, November 26, 2013 - 04:04 pm: Edit

Fair enough, for my F&E comparison, I was only considering combat.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Tuesday, November 26, 2013 - 04:40 pm: Edit

If you're talking combat, F&E is a 1, SFB is a 10, FC is a 9, while ACTA and Starmada are 8s. F&E is so far away it's not really relevant.

The point is the "tactical game market" and SFB, FC, ACTA, and Starmada are all covering different aspects of that market. I have another tactical game that would be a 7 or 6 or maybe 5, but I'm not ready to discuss it yet.

By A. David Merritt (Adm) on Tuesday, November 26, 2013 - 04:51 pm: Edit

Hrm, that sounds intriguing.

By Tony L. Thomas (Scoutdad) on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 04:30 pm: Edit

ACTASF 1.2 Ship Cards:

Multiple people have inquired about the ship cards for ACTASF1.2.
Will they be re-implemented?
Will all the remaining cards be released?
What format will they take?
and so on.

The answer to this is... we don't know.
The rules have to be worked out and the stat changes finalized before anything can be determined.

Then the final decision will be up to ADB.
Will they produce 'official' ship cards? Probably...
What size will they be? I don't know - that will depend on a lot of factors that have not yet been decided.
What format will they be in? Again - it's too early to tell. They may be oriented in color and laminated, they may be printed in black and white and on plain paper, or they may be released as print-and-play PDFs... we'll have to wait and see.

Rest assured that I will lobby for official cards, but financial realities will be the ultimate deciding factor. And those factors cannot be known or determined at this time.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 04:47 pm: Edit

We will do official cards, maybe as a PDF, maybe as printed cards, maybe as laminated cards. Just depends on the sales potential. Worst case scenario you will get one of those, best case you get two of them.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 04:49 pm: Edit

Oh, one other thing, when it's time to do ship cards, we'll consider multiple formats with player input before picking one. ADB thrives on and respects customer input.

By Gary Carney (Nerroth) on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 05:05 pm: Edit

For what it's worth, I was wondering if a mixture of the SFB and FC approaches might be worth considering when the time comes.

In FC, a series of "low toner" Ship Cards have been posted in Communiqué, while the colour versions are kept for ePacks and laminated Ship Cards.

Perhaps the "low toner" versions of these cards could be offered on the storefront as a print-on-demand booklet (akin to an SFB SSD book), while a PDF on e23 and/or DriveThruRPG could come with both the colour and "low-toner" editions for players to print at their own convenience.

Even if it took a while before a decision could be made on printing colour laminated cards, the tools could be set in place for that option to be taken, while still allowing the "low toner" cards to get up and running in the interim.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 05:24 pm: Edit

There is no benefit to doing anything about cards until the game is finished.

The low toner and color cards in FC are the same card (just flip some switches) so there is nothing to set in place that can be set now or would need to be done twice when the game is done.

By Lee Storey (Storeylf) on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 11:10 am: Edit

I'm not hugley into online wargaming - my only experience really being FedCom online.

Is there any sort of online system that might handle ACTA. Not neccesarily all singing and all dancing, even just some sort of simplistic board/markers set up, with skype or something I'm sure we can talk around inconveniences.

I can't get many games in FtF, and I would be interested in playing some test games against some of you others out there if there is some way of doing it.

By Charles Lister (Daboss) on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 12:09 pm: Edit

I have never used it but I know people talk about using "Vassel" or something similar?

By John Williams (Johndw) on Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 06:10 pm: Edit

So whats the general estimated timeline on the rules being done? Been over a month without an update.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation