Plasma Torpedoes

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: A Call to Arms Star Fleet: ACTASF Book 1.2 (The ADB Revision): Plasma Torpedoes
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
Archive through January 25, 2014  25   01/25 06:47pm
Archive through February 02, 2014  25   02/02 09:28pm

Plasma Torpedoes donít work either and will see a total rewrite to produce something that reflects their true power.
By Lee Storey (Storeylf) on Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 08:01 pm: Edit

That means recording how much AD was used each turn, so you know how much you can use next turn.

Not something I'm wanting.

By Gary Carney (Nerroth) on Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 08:09 pm: Edit

Tony mentioned in another thread that Shock has been added to a recent revision to the 1.2 file, so if you are using the BCJ you'd be tracking that already.

Plus, what I'm referring to is mainly about how the ship is presented in the book. Once the card packs are done, they'd likely have some sort of means by which you'd be marking off which warheads have been launched and which are still waiting to go.

Which would be the same on the card regardless of how it's presented in the book.

By Lee Storey (Storeylf) on Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 08:21 pm: Edit

I believe Tony has said somewhere the Fed BCH will become 2 lines again.

By Tony L. Thomas (Scoutdad) on Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 09:15 pm: Edit

The BCJ has two lines of Photons. one line of 2AD and one line of 4AD; so firing 4AD only will be easy peasey.

How many people play with the basic rules?

Every one I've ever spoken to uses the Advanced rules. Otherwise, no defensive fire, no cloaks, no squadrons, no alternate Plasma fire modes, no crew quality - so no damage control checks, etc.

The only reference to 'basic rules' in the book is the prohibition against splitting fire.
I don't like optional / advanced rules. They only serve to fracture the player base - so the reference to basic rules and advanced rules will go away before we do the final print version.

By Gary Carney (Nerroth) on Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 09:28 pm: Edit

So in other words, even if plasmas become 1 AD per warhead (which may or may not be the case), there'd be three options:

1) Putting each into a separate line item, as thy are now,
2) Putting them into a single item per warhead and arc, and adding in a plasma-specific special rule,
or
3) Putting them into a single line item per warhead and arc, and forcing the same "you launch less than the full amount, you lose the others anyway" issue noted over in the clarification thread.

Of the three, I suppose the first seems like it would need the least work to implement, though it would take up the most space on each page in the books. (Particularly once you get to the ISC, if each of the aft-firing -Fs had to be given its own line item - but, again, that may be an argument for another day.)

Glad to see the basic/advanced split go away, too.

By Tony L. Thomas (Scoutdad) on Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 09:35 pm: Edit

Plasma Torpedoes will remain 1 torpedo per line.

By Andrew E Schwenzer (Andrew_Cluetain) on Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 05:07 pm: Edit

Play tested the Plasma recently, and watched a fed CA get Vaporized by a KRC9, with out the Plasma R! Granted the CA was in the Worst possible place (with in 4", dead ahead) I felt that at that range the CA had no chance in defensive fire. But If I did the same thing in SFB I'd get a very similar result. Was uing plasma R: Multi hit 25, S: 15, G/F: start at 10 and D is 5; and each multi hit of Phaser fire reduces the plasma by one hit. So PH1's do 3 at point blank, and PH2/3 do 2 at point blank.

By John Williams (Johndw) on Sunday, March 30, 2014 - 07:14 pm: Edit

We any closer to seeing what the final rules for plasma torps might be?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation