Crew Quality Checks

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: A Call to Arms Star Fleet: ACTASF Book 1.2 (The ADB Revision): Crew Quality Checks
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

CREW QUALITY CHECKS
Starship crews are the most highly trained professionals in the galaxy. In most cases, crew quality checks (in the Star Fleet Universe) are automatically successful. (This is not the case for penal ships, reserve ships, captured ships, civilian ships, and crippled ships; there may be other reasons why individual ships have "bad crews".) The idea is to change the crew ratings making most "real warships" automatically successful.
By Jean M Desroches (Jean1951) on Sunday, December 29, 2013 - 11:29 am: Edit

Hello,
I would like to see crew check on special actions. I have read the above statement. What happens when crew start to die in a battle. Or damage start to accumalate. Your crew may be blocked off by debris. Just a tought.
Best regards,
Jean

By Tony L. Thomas (Scoutdad) on Sunday, December 29, 2013 - 02:22 pm: Edit

Several of the special Actions do have crew checks required for success. Steve is simply referring to some functions that should be automatic for a trained crew.

His usual example is Intensify Defensive Fire. It should be second nature to change the targeting of a phaser from the D7 that's 130,000K away to the drone that's going to hit you in the next 2 minutes. Why should I have to "roll a die" to see if I can target the drone?

The to hit die roll represents the chance of missing a small, rapidly moving target on the spur of the moment.

High Energy Turn, on the other hand does require a crew quality check. It's "almost" automatic for a military crew, but civilian crews or degraded crews may not find it so easy to perform...

By Stuart Tonge (Stu) on Sunday, December 29, 2013 - 03:08 pm: Edit

Crew casualties could (believe they are already - but the effects could be more interesting) be built into the critical hit tables.

As for removing the majority of crew checks, it sounds good to me.

By Andrew E Schwenzer (Andrew_Cluetain) on Monday, December 30, 2013 - 02:17 pm: Edit

Here is my view on it, right now ALL the Crew checks have a target number of 8. that's a 50% success rate with a "normal" crew. that may be fine for HET's (If I remember right they always had some aspect of risk) but the other 2 actions (IDF and take evasive action) should have a much lower Target number, if they are not automatic to begin with; say something like target number 6 (88% success rate with normal crew).
the other thing is Crew checks are also used to repair Crits. Currently it is a 33% chance to repair a crit with normal crew, which "feels" about right In my opinion.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation