Clarifications

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: A Call to Arms Star Fleet: ACTASF Book 1.2 (The ADB Revision): Clarifications
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
Archive through November 12, 2014  25   11/12 06:17pm

CLARIFICATIONS
Some rules were not clear, and we plan to clear them up. We also expect to add brief cross-references in some rules to other rules that form exceptions, making it easier for you to use the rules. We will also fix any spelling, punctuation, or other such items. We plan to include every ruling, answer, explanation, and example that Matthew ever gave, plus all of the official errata. Some of those items will be done in the rulebook and others in a separate FAQ document.
By Tony L. Thomas (Scoutdad) on Wednesday, November 12, 2014 - 03:49 pm: Edit

Correct.
It seems counter-intuitive, but the game is designed to be simple without a plethora of rules specific interactions. This sometimes leads to something that seems wrong, but works within the confines of ACTASF.

Your undamaged Federation CA may be moving 0 inches, but you still have the ability to maneuver left right, up, down, forward, and back within the boundaries of your station keeping mechanism to avoid incoming fire, or at least to make it more difficult to hit you. Think of it as changing your heading to bring a new weapon into arc or rolling the ship at just the right moment to provide an edge on aspect to the saucer instead of the full face circular aspect.

And most of the time, if the Plasma R is that close to you, you will not be sitting still anyway.
Do note however; that being tractored and not moving is not the same as moving 0 inches.

By Nicholas Sandberg (Savedfromwhat) on Wednesday, November 12, 2014 - 04:01 pm: Edit

So is current maximum speed affected by the power drain movement penalty? I cannot see a way to get that below a 6 until damage has been done. Are nimble ships even able to be hit? Is defensive fire allocated before or after the to hit roll?

By Tony L. Thomas (Scoutdad) on Wednesday, November 12, 2014 - 04:20 pm: Edit

A roll of a 6 ALWAYS hits. So statistically speaking, 1 drone in 6 will impact an undamaged ship.
Or... resolve direct fire weapons first and hope that a lucky critical slows the ship down. Remember, in ACTASF damage points are resolved as soon as they are received and each hit potentially affects the way the next hit is received.

Critical hits to the Impulse Drive / Dilithium Chamber reduce Current Maximum Speed, and that is the basis of the calculation. Not how far you actually moved.

Defensive Fire is declared after seeking wwapons hit you.

By Nick Blank (Nickgb) on Wednesday, November 12, 2014 - 06:15 pm: Edit

Well, Plasma has Accurate+3 and Drones have Accurate+2 so to hit an undamaged ship with the seeking weapon to-hit roll of 6 actually means you hit with die result of 3 or better for plasma or 4 or better for drones, barring other effects like evasion modifier from high speed or whatever.

By Nicholas Sandberg (Savedfromwhat) on Wednesday, November 12, 2014 - 06:17 pm: Edit

First thanks for your responses, second, so my torpedoes will average hitting once every 12 turns if I have that straight and then if I am lucky enough to hit it all goes to shields, and before that there is defensive fire on only the AD that hit?

Well that really seems absurdly out of balance. In universe no empire would be stupid enough to fly around with so ineffective a main weapons system. I feel like I have to be missing something here.

By Nicholas Sandberg (Savedfromwhat) on Wednesday, November 12, 2014 - 06:29 pm: Edit

I am going to stop posting on the Internet now as I see that plasma has accurate +3. I suck and am not attractive. Tony is very handsome and does not suck in any way.

By Nicholas Sandberg (Savedfromwhat) on Wednesday, November 12, 2014 - 06:30 pm: Edit

Also Nick Blank you too are handsome and one who does not suck. :D

By Nick Blank (Nickgb) on Wednesday, November 12, 2014 - 07:44 pm: Edit

Also, I believe you only roll one to hit die per torpedo, even a Plasma R with 7 AD. If you hit, all AD (that remain after any removed by energy bleed or defensive fire) then either damage shields (with multihit 4 for each AD) or roll (again with multihit 4) attacks on the damage table once shields are gone.

By Tony L. Thomas (Scoutdad) on Wednesday, November 12, 2014 - 11:17 pm: Edit

And do not forget... damage effects occur as they are rolled.
Hit with phasers first. It's relatively easy to score at least one critical hit with a full barrage of phasers. If any one of them scores a critical, there's a 50% chance it will be to a power system - which immediately reduces the Maximum Speed by 2. thus making it easier for the seeking weapons to hit.

By Tim Fitzmaurice (Myrm) on Friday, November 14, 2014 - 07:59 am: Edit

Hopefully a quick question here. The freighters in the Civilian Ship section all quote damage in the format X/Y + Z.

I'm guessing that the Z is the damage rating of the pods in them but am I missing a section that explains how damage is supposed to be applied to these vessels or is that a potential errata/addendum that needs adding?

By Gary Carney (Nerroth) on Friday, November 14, 2014 - 08:51 am: Edit

The "+ Z" values are covered in the Cargo Trait rules on page 19.

By Dal Downing (Rambler) on Friday, November 14, 2014 - 09:07 am: Edit

Tim F checkout the Cargo Trait description in the Trait Section. Page 19 I think it is on.

By Tim Fitzmaurice (Myrm) on Friday, November 14, 2014 - 09:08 am: Edit

Thanks, completely missed that! Sanity resumes, cheers all.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation