Making the HDD, CS, CM different

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Starline 2500 Miniatures: Gorn Ships: Making the HDD, CS, CM different
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
Archive through September 28, 2011  25   09/28 12:37pm
Archive through September 29, 2011  25   09/29 02:00am
Archive through September 29, 2011  25   09/29 03:17pm

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Thursday, September 29, 2011 - 01:58 pm: Edit

Xander: Dunno about trench/tile as the Mac won't go there.

Dal: Sandrine and Rob are not going to want to change the BC (and neither am I). Start from there (what the 2400s had, and the 2200s and 2300s), don't try to change "there" or we'll never get anywhere.

By Gary Carney (Nerroth) on Thursday, September 29, 2011 - 02:03 pm: Edit

Xander, rather than using the link you were using that takes you to the host page for the pic, it might be better to link directly to the image instead.

By Will McCammon (Djdood) on Thursday, September 29, 2011 - 02:43 pm: Edit

I'd note that if the "trench" idea gains traction, it adds volume that would need to come out somewhere else. The CM and HDD are different than the BC and CL, not bigger.

By Xander Fulton (Dderidex) on Thursday, September 29, 2011 - 02:51 pm: Edit

@Will - not really. The 'width' of the bubble does get only slightly bigger. However, it's not pure volume. The trench then digs out not only much of what was added, but much of the 'volume' that was in that hull section to begin with. It goes all the way around the bubble, after all. From a top view, it would be clearer, but it probably chops out 15% of the volume of what WOULD be the bubble if it had not been there, and the bubbles only add about that much volume in the width increase.

By Xander Fulton (Dderidex) on Thursday, September 29, 2011 - 03:17 pm: Edit

SVC just shot me a line after taking a look at the picture, and nixed the idea of the tiles or trench. So looks like we are still digging around for an idea...

By Mike Novean (Blackdice) on Thursday, September 29, 2011 - 03:44 pm: Edit

Mockup of banded vs. normal bubbles

banded side view
banded right-top view

normal side view
normal right-top view

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Thursday, September 29, 2011 - 04:04 pm: Edit

the direct image link works.

I don't think I like the tile.

I do NOT like the trench and will not approve it.

No, we're not looking around for an idea. I liked the band and that's what I told her to do.

By Xander Fulton (Dderidex) on Thursday, September 29, 2011 - 04:07 pm: Edit

@SVC - keep in mind that only the tile on the bubbles was my proposal. In the drawing referenced, I 'tiled up' the rest of the ship, too, just so it wouldn't stand off as much from the bubbles...but the details on anything but the bubbles is purely incidental, and not part of the proposal at all.

(I imagine the warp engine details, particularly, are jarring...but, again, not part of the proposal, I just put something on them because the stark light grey made it difficult to compare the bubble tiles)

By Mike Dowd (Duellist_69) on Thursday, September 29, 2011 - 09:26 pm: Edit

I think that while the hexagonal tile is good, the size of the actual tiles is a bit too big... Maybe look at 3 hex 'rings' around the center hex on each bubble. If the hexes are too large, you wind up with something ugly -- too fine, and they get lost.

By Robert Hyrneson (Hyrneson) on Friday, September 30, 2011 - 12:32 am: Edit

I can already hear the talk at the FLGS for each of these. :)
The reduced bubbles make the Gorns into the Barbells.
The flat edged banded bubbles become the Aspirins.

Btw, Altolm (the name credited) online has done several Gorn designs for SFC Fan-skins that put a groove where the proposed band is and have windows in there. (But he also moved the engines so they are on top & L/R.)

I'd prefer to see a ship designed on (theoretical) warp dynamics and not based on racial biological characteristics. Terran ships didn't do this. Should the advanced X designs have bald spots? Should we go put pointy ear sensor mounts on the SpH? :)

I know I'm not offering much constructively but when part of what makes the Gorn work is their simplicity, how much can you add at risk of gilding the lily?

By Loren Knight (Loren) on Friday, September 30, 2011 - 12:46 am: Edit

"Should we go put pointy ear sensor mounts on the SpH?"

Raising eyebrows of kitbashers everywhere.

By Alan W. Kerr (Awkerr) on Sunday, October 02, 2011 - 06:32 pm: Edit

You know... idea #3, the asymmetric top/bottom, looks very "heavy" somehow. Maybe #3 should be revisited when the Gorn battleship gets discussed. or maybe even the DN-class ships. I think the Gorn capital ships *should* have a "heavy" look to them.

By Dixon Simpkins (Dixsimpkins) on Monday, October 03, 2011 - 05:43 pm: Edit

Add sweep to the wings. 45° sweptback wings would be visually very noticible and (I think) not very difficult to do.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation