Archive through September 29, 2011

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Starline 2500 Miniatures: Gorn Ships: Making the HDD, CS, CM different: Archive through September 29, 2011
By Terry O'Carroll (Terryoc) on Wednesday, September 28, 2011 - 09:32 am: Edit

"Captain's Log, stardate 28092011. While on our way to a date with the winner of the Miss Orion Slavegirl pageant, the ship has developed a giant space zit right on top of the saucer where a blind woman could not miss it. Situation is desperate..."

By wayne e. brugger II (Web2) on Wednesday, September 28, 2011 - 10:30 am: Edit

My idea is not to mess with the bubble much, except to put the 360 phasers on top of it, and then connect the center hull lower to clear the plasma launcher on the bottom. This could be reversed if the launcher is desired on top. I do think this would still leave the phasers blocked by the engines.

By Will McCammon (Djdood) on Wednesday, September 28, 2011 - 12:03 pm: Edit

Updated my drawing to include a version (#3) that makes the bubble non-symmetrical top-to-bottom, clearing the upper phaser without having the "can't call it what it really looks like" mound.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r128/djdood/SFU_Blog_BBS_Stuff/SFU%20Minis%20BBS%20Stuff/Starline%202500%20Reviews/Gorn_CM-HDD_Ideas_9-27-2011_2.png

Please note that #3 was done extremely quickly, so the drawing is a bit rough, but it gets the point across. I'll make it pretty tonight.

By George Duffy (Sentinal) on Wednesday, September 28, 2011 - 12:12 pm: Edit

I have a question... why are the "oval, disc-shaped" hulls of the Gorns called "bubbles". I mean come on... bubbles are round and spheroid in shape. To get a one to remotely look like the shape of the Gorn hull would require an outside force continually applying pressure around it. And if I remembered correctly space is a vacuum. :)

I say that if we insist on calling their hull bubbles then we should change the shape to match the name. Make the hulss round circular spheres.

(This message brought to you by the makers of Scrubbing Bubbles. "We clean and disinfect so you don't have toooo...." )

By Troy Latta (Saaur) on Wednesday, September 28, 2011 - 12:37 pm: Edit

Will. I was with you until I saw it. That's just.. ugly. I'll take a look again tonight; maybe it's one of those things that grows on you.

By Xander Fulton (Dderidex) on Wednesday, September 28, 2011 - 01:05 pm: Edit

What about the idea of the 'offset bubble'? Still symmetrical shapes, just offset the front bubble from the centerline (say, above it, so that a forward-arc plasma weapon could be put in the central hull without a raised mount and still 'clear' it)? I'd like to see that on your comparison sheet, Will. No change to the rear bubble (I don't think any movement would fit with the engines as they are).

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Wednesday, September 28, 2011 - 01:19 pm: Edit

They have to be called something (and it cannot be saucers) and bubbles is the most convenient term. Lots of convenient terms used for lots of things are not technically accurate.

By Loren Knight (Loren) on Wednesday, September 28, 2011 - 01:21 pm: Edit

I thought the term Bubbles came from before there were miniatures as they were seen on the SSDs.

By Loren Knight (Loren) on Wednesday, September 28, 2011 - 01:25 pm: Edit

Will,
Idea #1 and #2 look OK to me. Maybe different classes could have different looks.

Idea #1 might work on the smaller classes and conversions from smaller classes.

The standard look would go for the standard large hulls.

Idea #2 (banding) would be for improved hulls and/or command hulls.

I don't like Idea #3. Offset no workie for me.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Wednesday, September 28, 2011 - 01:36 pm: Edit

I think I like #2 the bands best.

By Dale McKee (Brigman) on Wednesday, September 28, 2011 - 02:17 pm: Edit

I'd like to see a quick sketch/mockup of what these "dreaded octagons" would look like before I make any comment... hard for me to envision.

By Tony L Thomas (Scoutdad) on Wednesday, September 28, 2011 - 03:06 pm: Edit

I like the idea of the bands (Will McCammon #2), although the previously mentioned idea of recessed bands (i.e., trenches) also has soem merit.

Nothing personal, Will; but idea #3 really looks ugly.

I don't even think JEH would purchase Gorn minis that looked like that.

By Gary Carney (Nerroth) on Wednesday, September 28, 2011 - 03:20 pm: Edit

Rather than make the bands plain, perhaps they could have some sort of abstracted line pattern intended to evoke reptilian scales?

(Players could then paint the scales grey, green or brown, depending on which Gorn homeworld they want to represent.)

By Will McCammon (Djdood) on Wednesday, September 28, 2011 - 03:36 pm: Edit

No worries about concept #3 on my drawing looking ugly. I agree. Sometimes you have to put the dumb/ugly ideas next ones more likey to pass muster, to get a feel for the whole.g

If I get time tonight, I'll update it again to add the trenches-edge and octagon concepts, just to give them even eye-time.

By Xander Fulton (Dderidex) on Wednesday, September 28, 2011 - 07:38 pm: Edit

Quote:

Rather than make the bands plain, perhaps they could have some sort of abstracted line pattern intended to evoke reptilian scales?

Or, better, how about a hexagon tile sort of pattern in the edge band?

By George Duffy (Sentinal) on Wednesday, September 28, 2011 - 08:52 pm: Edit

Quote:

Or, better, how about a hexagon tile sort of pattern in the edge band?

How about a octagonal pattern overlaid over the whole of the "bubble(s)"?

By Xander Fulton (Dderidex) on Wednesday, September 28, 2011 - 09:05 pm: Edit

Like the Andromedan ship has on its skin, from the cover of Module C3A or visible on the Andromedan warp engines on the Module G3 cover?

By Troy Latta (Saaur) on Thursday, September 29, 2011 - 12:11 am: Edit

I have no artistic ability so I can't make it happen, but what would it look like if we combined ideas 1 and 3? Flat top for the phaser to fire over with an enlargement of the bottom curve on the front bubble? Hm, leads to issues on center-mount plasma placement, though. Move the center plasma(s) to the bottom of the front bubble, perhaps?
Also, has anyone asked Sandrine if she has any ideas? After what she did with the later Romulans I'd be more than willing to see her "Sparrowhawkification" take on the Gorn war classes.

By Will McCammon (Djdood) on Thursday, September 29, 2011 - 12:40 am: Edit

Updated my drawing with a take on SVC's octagonal hull concept and with adding an octagonal pattern to the "banded" bubble hull.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r128/djdood/SFU_Blog_BBS_Stuff/SFU%20Minis%20BBS%20Stuff/Starline%202500%20Reviews/Gorn_CM-HDD_Ideas_9-28-2011_2.png

Troy - Any drawings I do are just suggestions to SVC and Sandrine. I love it when my ideas and suggestions get incorporated, but I have no illusions about who the deciders are. I'd fully expect any of my concepts to get morphed/modified/remixed into what the overall product line needs.

By Xander Fulton (Dderidex) on Thursday, September 29, 2011 - 12:43 am: Edit

Well, I see SVC octagonal hull on that one, but not the pattern in the bands...?

By Will McCammon (Djdood) on Thursday, September 29, 2011 - 12:44 am: Edit

Photobucket being %$*#&$^. I fixed it.

As far as preferences go, the "banded" concept (#2) is my favorite.

By Dal Downing Rambler (3deez) on Thursday, September 29, 2011 - 01:19 am: Edit

Ok I took Will's sketch and tried my best to modify it to convey my Ridgeback and step concept.

Basicaly add a Ridgeback to the top and bottom of the HDD/CM and add to the bands some more squred corners. With the Flat top because of the Ridgeback the phaser can be mounted with out building up a post. See link...

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee423/3deez/CMSKETCH.jpg

Other think I would like to see is the engines as mentioned earlier. The CL/CA/BC have them on the rear of the ship but the HDD/CM was designed to be upgradeable and they moved them to the Wings.

By Dal Downing Rambler (3deez) on Thursday, September 29, 2011 - 01:34 am: Edit

Deleted by author.

By George Duffy (Sentinal) on Thursday, September 29, 2011 - 01:35 am: Edit

I like the "banded" concept as well. I can see how the whole ship could be covered in an octagonal pattern.
(From a top view: I think a 5-hex radius pattern would cover the top of the bubbles)

By Xander Fulton (Dderidex) on Thursday, September 29, 2011 - 01:41 am: Edit

Ah, hmmm. No, still not quite what I'm looking for. But it does give me an interesting idea. What about *segmenting* the bubble?

Here - try this one. Forgive the crudeness of the illustration! What I've done is a few things:

- Added some hexagonal 'tiles' as a kind of plated armor sort of look over the bubbles.

- Divided them in half, with some separation between them.

- Also separated the plasma launchers, so the S-torp and F-torp are obviously from different "tubes".

That should look pretty good in 3d...

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation