Lyran Lion Dreadnought

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Starline 2500 Miniatures: Lyran Ships: New Ships under Development: Lyran Lion Dreadnought
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 04:54 pm: Edit

Lyran Lion Dreadnought "Red Claw Sandrine"

LYRAN - Lion DN - front.jpg

LYRAN - Lion DN - rear.jpg

LYRAN - Lion DN - side.jpg

LYRAN - Lion DN - top.jpg

LYRAN - Lion DN - belly.jpg

LYRAN - Lion DN - above R.jpg

LYRAN - Lion DN - above F.jpg

By Steve Zamboni (Szamboni) on Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 05:03 pm: Edit

First impression is that it seems a bit small compared to the Fed CA.

(Does picture #2 look like a big-eared Kilroy peeking over the wall, or is it just me?)

By Chris Proper (Duke) on Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 05:12 pm: Edit

Next to the Kongo they look tiny. I'd say the lion is a size class 3.
Scale aside, that is a good looking ship.

By Steve Petrick (Petrick) on Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 05:12 pm: Edit

I do not see the FX disruptor mount, at least I do not see anything that to me clearly is the FX disruptor mounts on the center warp engine pylon.

I think I can live with the middle two ESGs where they are even if they are not laying "flat".

By A. David Merritt (Adm) on Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 05:15 pm: Edit

I think this will work, a definite improvement over the CA#4.

Where is the power pack?

By Steven Jones (Finlos) on Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 05:21 pm: Edit

I -like- this ship but the scale does seem a little small when compared to the Fed CA. Looking forward to flying this fleet and the DN in particular on the tabletop.

I thought the circles on the front of the engines were the disruptors?

By Chris Proper (Duke) on Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 05:25 pm: Edit

All three engines have those circles, but the tandem pair don't mount disruptors. Only Klingons do it that way.

By Dal Downing - Rambler (3deez) on Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 05:42 pm: Edit

Center pair of Phaser 1s seem to have a 360° arc. Will sketch something up but it might work moving themes to the top of the central hull section. If such a move was considered you could use a pair of towers like the side has.

Center FX Disrupters do appear to be missing but there seems to be enough room on the central pylon to put a wrap around Disrupter band.

Side foreward seem to have FA+LS & FA+RS Arcs.

By Charles Chapel (Ctchapel) on Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 06:40 pm: Edit

All the Lyrans need to be larger by about 25 percent based on that comparsion view.

Use the concept used on the CL for the underside P1s. Have the shelf the emitters are mounted on face into the center of the arcs.

I like where the impulse drives are mounted on the aft of the center hull. If those are the drives

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 06:45 pm: Edit

The power packs are those things with tubes and barrels on either side of the belly. The packs on the BC will have one barrel each.

I don't know where she put the impulse engines but they need to be in the notches between the hulls.

By Robert Hyrneson (Hyrneson) on Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 07:05 pm: Edit

If you look at the aft view, on aft of the center hull, I think the impulse engines are supposed to be the 'ears' on each side of the fowney face.

By Richard B. Eitzen (Rbeitzen) on Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 07:20 pm: Edit

Maybe part of what makes it look small is how tiny the warp engines are compared to the Fed.

They're supposed to be 15 box warp engines but are much smaller.

By A. David Merritt (Adm) on Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 08:09 pm: Edit

The BC/BCH* are the only units too date that have two power packs. Wouldn't they be more detailed rather than less detailed?

* There is the Quad Cat from Stellar Shadows Journal 1, but it is not a "real" ship.

By Loren Knight (Loren) on Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 08:12 pm: Edit

I agree that they should be scaled up and add that the engines should be a big larger (on all).

Otherwise, good looking bad-azz ship.

By William Stec (Billstec2) on Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 09:16 pm: Edit

Definitely make the Lyran ships larger.

By Mark Hutton (Trynda1701) on Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 09:18 pm: Edit

Scale does seem off by a bit, doesn't it. I'll let the experts work out what percentage by though! :)

By Stewart W Frazier (Frazikar2) on Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 09:20 pm: Edit

Not bad, not bad, but...

Major fail on not keeping the CA appearance on the outboard edges (Artist strikes again), the CA outboard 'ridge' could be extended, raised, or both, but not changed altogether/moved.
[Note, also do this for the CL/BC, DD/CW and FF/DW]

The 'bridge' dips too far downward, turning its FA phasers into FX ones.

The center ESGs have been shortened, they should sweep around the center engine pylon.

FX disruptors missing (from the center engine pylon).

Scale - think more like 33% enlargement...

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Wednesday, March 07, 2012 - 12:33 am: Edit

Lyrans, Kzintis, and Klingons store fuel in the hull. Feds store it in the nacelles, making their engines bigger.

By Xander Fulton (Dderidex) on Wednesday, March 07, 2012 - 02:40 am: Edit

@SVC - please forgive the crudeness of this sketch, as I knocked it up in about 2 minutes flat, but I did see your note in the other thread, and this is what I'd propose to deal with the identified concerns.

No weapon arcs are blocked in that manner (note particularly the front view demonstrating that).

Given the prominence of the ESG in Lyran offensive and defensive strategy (it really is THE weapon that defines them), I've always wanted to see it be a bit more obvious on the hulls.

By Charles Lister (Daboss) on Wednesday, March 07, 2012 - 08:41 am: Edit

I do like this one - although they could make the engines much bigger.

The centre bit is much better for me asthetically than the light cruiser

:)

It does seem very small compared to the fed ship and its own light cruiser.

Quite like the big globe turrets of Mr Fultons models

By Garth L. Getgen (Sgt_G) on Wednesday, March 07, 2012 - 08:44 am: Edit

Quote:

All the Lyrans need to be larger by about 25 percent based on that comparsion view.

Okay, we went thru this before with the Orions. Before we setting on a size change, please let us see various scale up/donw version. You're saying 125%, which may be right, but I want to see 110%, 115%, and 120%, too, before locking in on the "correct" size. We didn't get to do that with the Orions, and I for one was not completely happy with the resulting size change.

Garth L. Getgen

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Thursday, April 05, 2012 - 03:01 pm: Edit

LYRAN LION DREADNOUGHT "Red Claw Sandrine"
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Seems too small compared to Fed Heavy Cruiser. Needs to be maybe 25% bigger.
I think we can live with the middle two ESGs where they are even if they are not laying "flat".
Center pair of Phaser 1s seem to have a 360° arc. Iíd suggest you make the big trough cut up into the middle of the ship reverse, that is, a big keel sticking down. Dreadnoughts donít carry tug pallets so the bottom of the center section doesnít have to be flat.
I donít care if you use this concept or the one on the CL for the underside forward-front-corner phasers but all three should be the same.
The power packs (for those who asked) are those things with tubes and barrels on either side of the belly. The packs on the BC will have one barrel each.
I don't know where she put the impulse engines but they need to be in the notches between the hulls. Hopefully they are not those bulge things on the back of the center hull.
Weíll need to see new renders with these changes made.--SVC

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation