Lyran CA #5

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Starline 2500 Miniatures: Lyran Ships: New Ships under Development: Lyran CA #5
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
Archive through March 30, 2013  25   04/01 01:03am

By Damon Robert Anderson (Rihan704) on Sunday, March 31, 2013 - 05:25 pm: Edit

I'm thinking the side view should have the engine panelling slanted like the rest of the hull. Just doesn't seem to flow with the rest of the 'tiger-stripey' feel.

By Garth L. Getgen (Sgt_G) on Sunday, March 31, 2013 - 10:49 pm: Edit

Just a rough on-the-screen measurements, I show this mini to be ~130 meters wide by ~165-170 meters long (main body). Stewart told me the size of his deck plans, which is noticeably smaller than that. Is there any way to trim the mini back by say 10%? Unless Stewart wants to take a re-do look at his deck plans.

Garth L. Getgen

By Dal Downing (3deez) on Sunday, March 31, 2013 - 11:54 pm: Edit

I would advise strongly aginst scaling the mini back. If you need to add something to the deck plan just add fuel or miscellaneous storage.

By Garth L. Getgen (Sgt_G) on Monday, April 01, 2013 - 12:05 am: Edit

Dal, why so strongly against it?

Garth L. Getgen

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Monday, April 01, 2013 - 01:03 am: Edit

Because it's the right size now compared to the CA.

By Loren Knight (Loren) on Monday, April 01, 2013 - 01:14 pm: Edit

Yeah, Lyrans have small engines which means fuel is stored in the hull so just add fuel maybe. Maybe add some buffer area around the fuel storage.

Do Lyrans play tennis? Maybe add a could courts? Or does tennis just turn into a group psycosis charge of "get the ball"?

By Mark S. Hoyle (Resartus) on Monday, April 01, 2013 - 01:32 pm: Edit

Add a large room, put a Disco Ball in the roof with a laser pointer.

Kat's version of catch the Red Dot.

By A. David Merritt (Adm) on Monday, April 01, 2013 - 02:05 pm: Edit

Open deck area for hunting/training?

By Mark Hutton (Trynda1701) on Monday, April 01, 2013 - 04:06 pm: Edit

Thoughts on CA @5

I'll leave the volume/deck plans talk to those in the know about such things. :)

Hull lines definitely invoke the look of Adam Turner's artwork. It looks a little cluttered, but thats probably the effect of the render. Remember when we first saw the Fed CA render for the first time?

Like Scoutdad said, it will make Lyran 'cammo' paint schemes a bit more difficult (a thing I liked about the smooth hull SL2200/SL2400 design), but them's the breaks of more detailed minis! :)

Extra detailing on the ESG panels and engines looks good. I think that if the engine grill details were changed, I would change them to run length wise instead of making them follow the hull lines slope.

What about the simple under hull detail that was on CA @4? Corrected for proper phaser arcs of course. Other than any other phaser arc problems, I think that this one looks good to go.

By Garth L. Getgen (Sgt_G) on Monday, April 01, 2013 - 04:24 pm: Edit

Well, I'll agree that it "looks" about right size. But looks can be deceiving. The Fed CA looks massive from the top view due to the saucer design, but it's fairly thin and not near as heavy as it appears. I'm sure Mongoose can have the computer tell them how much volume the mini will be, and then you can compare that to the CA to be sure it's really and truly right.

As to the deck plans, there are three options. (1) shrink the mini by ~10% L/H/W, (2) grow the deck plans to match, or (3) ignore the difference and publish both as are. Option 3 is the easiest, but if it were up to me, I'd go with option 2 (since it appears option 1 is out of the question). The increased thickness shouldn't add another deck, so Stewart would just have to get creative to use up the extra ~21% of floor space.

Garth L. Getgen

By Will McCammon (Djdood) on Monday, April 01, 2013 - 05:28 pm: Edit

My input for the sizing of the initial pass on the Lyran CA was done exactly that way. 3D CAD models were used to compare the overall volumes of the Fed CA and Lyran CA, the differences in engine and fuel-storage techniques were accounted for, and then I suggested a plausible scale for the Lyran mini.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Monday, April 01, 2013 - 05:40 pm: Edit

So, Will, is this right or not? I thought you told me it was right?

By Mark Hutton (Trynda1701) on Monday, April 01, 2013 - 05:44 pm: Edit

A thought occured with folks talking about hull volumes. Will the Lyrans be one piece or three piece?

If three piece, would it be possible to have thicker nacelle struts to help gluing them to the main hull? After all, this is a problem some folks are having with their Klingon hulls since the change from resin to metal. Now would be a good time to account for this, even if the struts would end up a bit thicker than they would be in 'real life', as it were. :)

By Will McCammon (Djdood) on Monday, April 01, 2013 - 06:51 pm: Edit

SVC - My input stands, as it was made and Mongoose's first-pass model was pretty dead-on to it. I don't know where things have proceeded on this ship since then.

By Garth L. Getgen (Sgt_G) on Monday, April 01, 2013 - 07:10 pm: Edit

If DJ-Dood says the mini size is right, who am I to disagree? As I said above, it "looks about right" visually. It's nice to know that there were "real numbers" input to back that up. ;-)

Garth L. Getgen

By Stewart W Frazier (Frazikar2) on Monday, April 01, 2013 - 09:11 pm: Edit

Personally, I'll wait til I have the mini and the scale to see what the length/width is, then work out the rest, of course, the engineer in me is screaming 'kill the artist' for placing the foreward phasers directly under the disruptors (is there any room to actually fix something there [like in combat] or is it take it back to the shop to work on later)...

By Mike Dowd (Duellist_69) on Tuesday, April 09, 2013 - 02:52 pm: Edit

TLAR. (That Looks About Right)

That's about all I can say about this one.

Nice job!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation