Archive through May 02, 2008

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Federation & Empire: F&E COMPUTER PROJECTS: F&E with Vassal: Archive through May 02, 2008
By Adam C Luebke (Sgt) on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 08:52 pm: Edit

so far no one has had enouf interest/motivtion to email me. So its only us three in one game as of right now.

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 02:33 am: Edit

Hmm. Given the fact that this is the thread I've been using to post Vassal updates, I assumed this was to be a Vassal game. So, I'm going to bow out as part of my motivation is to see what needs fixing in that version.

By Matthew G. Smith (Mattsmith) on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 07:23 am: Edit

Yeah, given what James has said, we should probably move the discussion to e-mail until we open a "reports from the front" topic.

By Robert Padilla (Zargan) on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 08:26 am: Edit

Well, this is the F&E by Email topic. Though it makes more sense to discuss via email, since it seems like we have a trio for the game now.

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 02:20 pm: Edit

Hey, I just appropriated a (at the time) dead topic, no big deal. :) Hope to see you in Reports From the Front!

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 07:05 pm: Edit

F&E for Vassal
Version RC4 1/13/08
F&2K [beta version]
AO [beta]
CO [beta]
FO [beta]
PO [beta]
SO [beta]

Release Candidate 4 (version 0.95)
-Moved Battle Hex and Raid markers to 'Ships' layer
-Updated Neutral PDU and generic POL
-Fixed K-3F5
-Fixed R-LAV
-Fixed H-REPR
-Fixed O-FLG
-Swapped out Faction summary for Unit summary
-Fixed Z-PDU
-Fixed planet markers
-Put in LTC/Annex sequence for Province/NZ markers
-Added global command to advance all capture progress tracking
-Switched Planet layer to be underneath Base Layer
-Added Annexed planet marker
-Fixed G-FCR
-Added F-NVS/3NVS
-Added Prime Team slots to Raid Pools
-Added reporting for Raid Pool, Pod Pool, Reserve markers, Repair ships, Depot, Salvage & Survey
-Added variable Admirals
-Separated Orions out into their own extensions
-Added Turn tracker
-Changed K-3F5/R-3K5 to K-3F5Q/R-3K5Q
-Added Fighter Storage Depot Markers
-Re-did Gorn Tug art

To do for 1.0:
-Do a new 'a' version with new module extensions
-Provide save files for further scenarios
-Fix movement marker inconsistencies in various maps

Okay, this should have gone out ages ago. Right now, there is one problem with the module that seems to be a problem with Vassal, not the module, so hopefully it'll get fixed without me having to do anything more to the module. There is a display of the current turn and phase. It is supposed to advance a bunch of informational counters at the beginning of each turn. It reports that is doing this, but nothing happens. So, there is a manual button to advance them instead.

But, as you can see from the update list, a number of things have been fixed/updated/added. The biggest is that the Orions are now a separate extension. Or, rather, two, one for the normal pirates, and the other to run the Enclave as a minor nation (about the same capabilities as the Tholians).

By John Robinson (John_R) on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 06:56 am: Edit

James - 2 questions
1) Is this compatible with Vassal 3.0?
2) Can I get a copy? jmrht91 at comcast dot net

As always, thanks for your work on this!

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 01:17 pm: Edit

The last revisions were done on 3.0.15, so yes. In fact, the turn tracker means that it's not going to work on 2.9 (the code for that was only put in with version 3).

I'll need to check this thread tonight... :)

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 10:13 pm: Edit

Module sent!

By Ken Watanabe (Watank) on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 01:49 pm: Edit

Hi James,

can I get a copy of the latest mod? :)

-Ken

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 04:22 pm: Edit

Module sent! (Sorry, meant to send it to you some time ago....)

And I've discovered the first thing that needs fixing: The areas on the Lyran chart aren't set up right, so it's reporting ships going to the salvage pile as going to the admiral deck... (sigh).

By Terry Blake Ball (Oldnewbie) on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 01:22 pm: Edit

Hi James,

I would love to get a copy as well. I love VASL and have been struggling with Cyberboard.

Blake

tball at cc.umanitoba.ca

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 04:37 pm: Edit

I hear you.

Module sent!

By Ken Rotar (Sir_Krotar) on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 05:00 pm: Edit

Howdy James.

I am not familiar with VASL, but I recently have tinkered with Cyberboard. I am extremely interested in playing F&E in some way (probably with e-mail), and I would like to explore all the options.

Could you send me a copy of your module with any explanations you can find for using it?

Also, if anyone could let me know how I could get into a game, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks, Ken

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 10:27 pm: Edit

Module sent!

My recommendation would be to ask after a game on the 'Opponents Wanted' section. Or even the General Discussion thread. Asking here can also work, but I suspect response will be better there.

By Joe Gallagher (Draxdreadfeare) on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 03:07 pm: Edit

Hi James,

Could you send me a the most recent version of your F&E VASSAL module? nyrescue51 at aol dot com

Thanks!

- Joe

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 10:38 pm: Edit

Module sent!

By Walter Meyer (Faulkenburg) on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 10:54 pm: Edit

Hi James,

I am new to Federation and Empire and I am learning to play. Could I please have a copy of your VASSAL module to try out. wmeyer1 at new dot com

I am also new to the computer based game boards (I found the Cyberboard version) and I would like to try both to see which is better. Some posters seem to have trouble with Cyberboard. I was wondering what are some of the Pros and Cons for some people who have used them?

Thank You.

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 02:02 pm: Edit

I'll try to remember to send it out tonight, when I get home. :)

Vassal:
Pro:
Allows you to play any number of games remotely (not just F&E).
Uses Java, so it runs on any modern OS.
Works via email or live online.
Has a built in chat function (though many use VoiP anyway).
Has a built in die roller (that's been thoroughly tested).
Has unlimited counters.
Tracks SE, fighter factors... (the main report for this can halt the system for quite a while though).
Tracks turns towards province annexation, and the like (probably a little off, needs more review).
Con:
Uses Java, so it is slightly harder to get up and get running, and saved games have a *long* load time.
Single-stack hexes, partly alleviated by decent fleet marker support.

Cyberboard:
Pro:
Allows you to play any number of games remotely (not just F&E).
Has only as many counters as you can build for limited ships.
Has a good large/small zoom setup, with plenty of room in the hexes for multiple stacks of counters.
Con:
Windows only (which, if it doesn't affect you, can still limit your opponents).
Works by email only (this *is* being worked on).
The difference between working on a scenario setup and actually starting a *game* is inobvious.

[Note: I *am* biased. ^_^ But much of this is why I created the module. Hopefully others will chime in.]

By Michael Parker (Protagoras) on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 03:11 pm: Edit

I like Vassal, and would use it except for the ENOURMOUR load times. I am running state of the art machines here at work. Literally they are unavailable to the general public, I am using processors that are not available till a quarter or two in the future and the load times are intolerable. So slow that it took me several tries to realize the game was loading and not stalled.

If this is ever corrected, I will convert to Vassal assuredly, as once your playing the game its features are great.

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 04:03 pm: Edit

Well, depends on your definition of 'enormous'. I think I'm at about 10 minutes for the GW Start on my home machine, which is probably about 5+ years old now.

Once upon a time, it was ~30 minutes. (Earlier machine, and Sun fixed something in Java a couple years ago.)

And, there is a real possibility that Vassal 3.1 will be faster, if they can finally get the beta out. (I'll be testing it when it does.)

By Michael Parker (Protagoras) on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 04:54 pm: Edit

James,

I remember you telling me that before, and I am eagerly awaiting the new version to test it out. And I am having 6-8 minute waits where my entire machine is bogged down, running literally the fastest desktop processors and memory in existance.

Its just too much for me, but I have to say it has some WONDERFUL features, one just never wants to shut it down and face the lag to start it again.

By Michael Lui (Michaellui) on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 05:25 pm: Edit

Oooooo. He's been spoiled by his workplaces' computers.

By Michael Parker (Protagoras) on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 05:51 pm: Edit

*chuckles*

Well its actually the computers I work ON. I work in a Lab that tests the prototypes before they go to market!

So I guess I am saying if it takes LONG on these computers.. can you imagine!?

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 02:11 am: Edit

Module sent!

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation