Archive through September 24, 2008

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Federation & Empire: F&E COMPUTER PROJECTS: F&E with Vassal: Archive through September 24, 2008
By Mike Ryan (Mikeryan) on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 02:51 pm: Edit

RC3. I have some free time now, and I was thinking of finally getting some experience with actually playing the game with knowledgable opponents. I have some interest at my game club, but I'm the one that "knows the most," I actually haven't played a real, formal game (just done some attempts at solo games, but they only go so far, as you can miss rules). At the worst, I might start a solo game and post the results for feedback/critique.

Oh, and if I am able to start a regular game at my club, I'm thinking of just using Vassal on my laptop, to avoid the whole setup time and transport issues.

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 02:07 am: Edit

Module sent!

Amen to that! Good luck with club.

By Mike Ryan (Mikeryan) on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 01:42 pm: Edit

What are the six square boxes at the top of the map, on either side of the Federation Survey Area, for?

Also, the Lyran admiral deck is mispositioned in the salvage box.

By Jason E. Schaff (Jschaff297061) on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 04:20 pm: Edit

The square boxes are for tracking commercial convoy movement between the semi-connected Kzinti, Fed, and Gorn off-map areas.

Cheers,
Jason

By Mike Ryan (Mikeryan) on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 01:07 pm: Edit

I was looking at the map definitions and thought that might be the case. Just wanted to make sure. Thank you.

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 02:42 pm: Edit

Yeah, I need to remember to physically mark those somehow.

Yeah, the Lyran problem is fixed in my working copy. Thanks for pointing it out though!

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Sunday, June 08, 2008 - 12:29 am: Edit

F&E for Vassal RC4r1 (0.951)
F&2K [beta version]
AO [beta]
CO [beta]
FO [beta]
PO [beta]
SO [beta]

Change Log:

Release Candidate 4r1 (version 0.951)
-Moved Lyran Admiral deck to proper location
-Added Phase 10 (Final Actions) to the turn tracker
-Updated Battle Mats to mention MMG-added ships
-Fixed Turn Tracker issue
-Re-did F-DDF art
-Added Gorn Capital to 'Send to' list
-Fixed Capital 'Send to' locations
-Switched 'Send to' commands to ALT-[x], and rationalized list
-New splash graphic

Really just a bunch of minor fixes. Still need to go and do a couple of the bigger things I'd like and call it 1.0 already.

By the way, the second Beta of Vassal 3.1 is out:
http://vassalengine.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=2&sid=ae5de083417f44f6acb60baff09474c4
You may also want to keep an eye on that page for a couple days, they're talking about releasing Beta 3 around Monday.

By Peter Bonfanti (Otherbonfanti) on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 01:04 pm: Edit

Hi, James. Guess you're the guy with the power to send the F&E Vassal Module. Would love to get it when you have the chance.

Much thanks.

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 09:59 pm: Edit

Module sent!

By John W. Lawton (Kyloth) on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 01:24 am: Edit

Hi James:
I received the Mod the other day. I must say you've done a great job!!!. I started to edit your mod by adding a property sheet for each counter. On this property sheet (CTRL I) I have the following info. Example: Fed BCS

CMD (754.0) 10
Date Y182
Base Hull; Size (755.0) BC(3)
Conv. Cost, Source (755.0) From BC: 4+8+18
From BCV: 2+10
Build Cost or Sub. For CA/DN/SCS: 12+8+18
Salvage (439.0) 3.0
Notes Battle Control Variant of BC
F14 Half Squadron (4) & F111 Squadron (9)

It looks much better on the Property Sheet (All the values are listed on the right side in a neat row, the Email doesn't show it right). The Fed is done and now I am working on the rest.

I was planning to do this to all the counters.
Let me know what you think. If it is a good idea I'll send it to you when I am done. I was unable to do this as an extention so if you like it, the main mod will have to be edited. If you want an example I can send it to you.
Thanks
John

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 03:21 pm: Edit

No... you couldn't do that as an extension. O.O

I'm trying to decide what I think of it. ^_^

It's impressive, but it might be overkill to attach all the SIT info to each live counter. For instance, once it's running around on the board, knowing that its Date Available is Y182 doesn't help much, and looking that up with every counter in the selection menus isn't much good either.

On the other hand, Size Class, Battlegroup eligibility and notes like oversized squadrons could be *really* handy. (Odd fighter types should be listed in the existing property sheets.)

In any case, send me a copy when you're done and I'll bask in the glory of it. ^_^

By John W. Lawton (Kyloth) on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 10:35 pm: Edit

Hi James:
Ok. It might take awhile as I've just started the Klingons. Takes about 2 weeks to do each race. I'll send it and if you approve you can take all the creative glory!
Thanks
John

By Pete Keller (Pete_Keller) on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 11:36 am: Edit

James,

could you please send me the F&E module as well.

Thanks
Pete

By Ken Kazinski (Kjkazinski) on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 08:23 pm: Edit

James,

Would it be possible to post at the top of this area?

Ken

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 12:16 pm: Edit

Ken, you mean a file upload post? It sounds like any real admin stuff will have to wait until they have a new web-maven. Once they have that, yeah, it's time to get things on here.

Pete, I'll try to remember to check this tonight. ;)

By Ken Kazinski (Kjkazinski) on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 07:22 pm: Edit

James, yes upload the file(s) to the top of this list like the SIT files.

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 11:28 pm: Edit

Pete, module sent!

By Peter Bonfanti (Otherbonfanti) on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 04:25 pm: Edit

Hi, all.

I feel like I'm missing something really obvious, but when I use Vassal I can't find the markers for most of the fleets for each race. Were they supposed to be visible when I opened the module for the first time, or are they hidden somewhere?

Thanks!

By Jason E. Schaff (Jschaff297061) on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 06:23 pm: Edit

Peter:

Many of them start in the matching fleet boxes: i.e. open a fleet box, and find the corresponding counter there. The rest can be accessed under each empires "ships" tab by navigating to "markers" and then to "fleets".

Cheers,
Jason

By Peter Bonfanti (Otherbonfanti) on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 12:37 pm: Edit

Thanks, Jason. Turns out I was using the module without having loaded the General War! (Duh)

By Brian Wesley Adams (Bwaomega) on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 06:07 am: Edit

Not sure if you got the email I sent after finding this listed on the Vassal site, but I would like to get a copy of the module.

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 12:02 pm: Edit

Yes I did, just been lazy. Thanks for the poke!

By Brian Wesley Adams (Bwaomega) on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 01:29 am: Edit

Thanks for sending me the file. I'll be making first trial runs on it this weekend.

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 11:51 am: Edit

No problem, feel free to provide any feedback.

By Chris LaRusso (Soulcatcher) on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 07:38 pm: Edit

James,

I haven't been playing much F&E but getting the itch. Can I get the latest version you've released with extensions? Thanks!

Chris

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation