Archive through March 17, 2010

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Federation & Empire: F&E COMPUTER PROJECTS: F&E Cyberboard Development: Archive through March 17, 2010
By Thomas Mathews (Turtle) on Thursday, July 16, 2009 - 04:39 pm: Edit

Lar, here's some more space. In the Generic counters of the counter Trays, you have PGBs, PDUs and PRDs, and possibly some others. These single sided units should just be markers.

By Thomas Mathews (Turtle) on Sunday, July 19, 2009 - 06:01 am: Edit

Lar, could you add a Fleet Counter named Survey to each empire, excluding those empires that do not have survey ships.

Thanks in advance.

By Lawrence Bergen (Lar) on Tuesday, July 21, 2009 - 09:08 am: Edit

Reposted from the CB newsgroup...

On Jul 16, 2009, the_chink_between <chris.helm@...> wrote:

Hi guys, Whenever I create a gamebox file I end up with two files, one of type .gbx as expected and one of type .gb_ which I didn't expect.

Can anybody explain what the .gb_ file is for. I'd be grateful for any steer you can give me.

Regards

Chris

~~~~~~

--- In CyberBoardML@yahoogroups.com, Tracy Johnson <tmjva@...> wrote:

That is a backup file just before the save. If you screw up and change your mind after a save, all you have to do is change the underscore "_" to an "x".

You'd also have to rename your current .gbx file to something else first.

BT
Tracy Johnson

~~~~~~

Thanks Tracy, that's useful to know.

Rgds

Chris

By Thomas Mathews (Turtle) on Tuesday, August 04, 2009 - 11:00 pm: Edit

Lar, how's the new gamebox coming? I know you have been busy with the real life stuff. Just drop us a note when you get a chance.

By Thomas Mathews (Turtle) on Wednesday, August 12, 2009 - 12:39 pm: Edit

Lar,

The Eng Counters could be reduced to 4 each. There's a maximum of 4 units that could be built for each race. This will free up some space for you. This is a hard limit by the rules (541.0) and would not effect the EB scenario as well.

By Lawrence Bergen (Lar) on Thursday, August 13, 2009 - 11:43 am: Edit

I have done nothing on it for the past 10 days.

Thanks for the ENG unit thing. That is what I am looking for as a way to pair some things down.

By John Robinson (John_R) on Thursday, August 13, 2009 - 12:04 pm: Edit

Slacker. Are you still milking that "school" excuse? :)

By Lawrence Bergen (Lar) on Thursday, August 13, 2009 - 01:21 pm: Edit

Turtle...I sent you an email.

By Thomas Mathews (Turtle) on Thursday, August 13, 2009 - 03:20 pm: Edit

Lar, reply sent. Thanks for the hard work you have done on cyberboard.

John the only excuse more valid than education is family.

By Dave Whiteside (Ytside) on Thursday, August 13, 2009 - 10:32 pm: Edit

Crap Crap Crap.....just get it done!!!!

:)

By Tony L Thomas (Scoutdad) on Thursday, August 13, 2009 - 10:38 pm: Edit

Just wait til he graduates and we convince him to get a job in Middle TN. He'll be so busy with f-t-f F&E that he'll never get a chance to work on Cyberboard!!!! :O

By Thomas Mathews (Turtle) on Wednesday, August 19, 2009 - 08:43 am: Edit

Kzinti NCD counter issue. In the current version of the game box. The Kzinti NCD drone bombardment factors are incorrectly displayed. The counters shows 4 instead of (4) before the scout symbol.

By Lawrence Bergen (Lar) on Wednesday, August 19, 2009 - 09:45 am: Edit

I fixed the NCD. Thanks.

By Thomas Mathews (Turtle) on Wednesday, September 23, 2009 - 11:43 am: Edit

Lar email sent with issues and updated 2010 gamebox. Not as far along as previously promised but progress made none the less.
Again file name changed to protect the original.

By Thomas Mathews (Turtle) on Sunday, November 08, 2009 - 07:34 am: Edit

Lar, Missing PDUs in new Gamebox
Each Empire should have a PDU that is called Group (GRP) 18(12).
The LDR should have PDU and PGB markers in the PDU Tile Image Group.

While I'm thinking about the LDR and ISC. We discussed the RESV markers going from pieces to markers to save space. Another marker should be created called Tactical Reserve with the large piece showing Tac Resv, the middle piece showing T R, and I have no idea for the small piece. These should be created for each empire except the Andromedans.

By Thomas Mathews (Turtle) on Monday, December 28, 2009 - 10:04 am: Edit

Work continues on the new Cyberboard Game Box. Some new counters have had to be created from scratch. Other counters redesigned.

An organizational change is being done to the GW empires including the LDR and ISC.

By Lawrence Bergen (Lar) on Friday, January 08, 2010 - 09:55 am: Edit

Hey guys I got this email a few days ago but just got time to share the info for those who may not alread know.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Welcome to 2010! A New CB engine is here...

The CyberBoard Version 3.10 is now available on the CB web site...

CB basic unzipped

or the zipped version is also available:

CB basic zipped

Here's the list of updates they have added:

Version 3.10 Release Notes
--------------------------
New features and bug fixes for CBPlay.exe:

* Assign Ctrl-P hot key to start a Plotted Move, ESC cancels,
and Enter accepts.
* Added ability to use markers in a Plotted Move.
* Upgrade multiplayer feature to support up to 26 players. The prior
maximum was 8 players.
* Added ability to directly transfer ownership to another player.
Previously you had to release ownership and then assign ownership.
A possible use for this is to make it easy to pass a card to someone.
* Prompt and create multiple markers if dragged from marker tray while
holding the Ctrl key. For example: If the marker tray is set
to deliver random markers and the markers are graphical images
of dice faces you essentially have created a graphical die roller.
* Change piece X & X stagger maximums from 16 to 256. This is
used by the Autostack feature.
* The die roller has extended maximum die face value to 32767.
The prior maximum was 100.
* Added "Select All" and "Clear All" buttons to tray import dialog in
scenario editor.
* Added "Select All" and "Clear All" buttons to board selection dialog
in scenario editor.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is a cool upgrade mostly because they added those last two for setting up scenarios. It makes it MUCH easier to select the trays by grabbing them all and removing the few you didnt want rather than individually selecting each tray.

By Randy Blair (Randyblair) on Tuesday, March 16, 2010 - 10:48 pm: Edit

To the gamebox designer - Holy crap! This is the COOLEST thing I have EVER seen for F&E. Way better than I would have been able to program!
And "The Wind" scenario is very well laid out. This is just amazing. I can store campaign specific data for each ship, such as Legendary officers, crew quality, ship name, etc., and save it! (I'm using SFB to resolve the battle hex scenarios.)

Quick question - Is this legal? I mean, it's not violating any copyright stuff, is it? Is there a SFB game box, too? If not, can one be written without violating ADB's IP?

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Wednesday, March 17, 2010 - 10:39 am: Edit

I don't know that they can do the F&E one without asking us.

By Nick G. Blank (Nickgb) on Wednesday, March 17, 2010 - 10:59 am: Edit

It was submitted to ADB in the past and declared OK. That is why it is always available in the sticky in the header of this topic. Steve must have forgotten :).

And it is a fantastic resource for non-face-to-face play. It has no rules implementation being just an electronic map and counters, so you have to have the rulebook or game already.

By Ted Fay (Catwhoeatsphoto) on Wednesday, March 17, 2010 - 11:03 am: Edit

SVC,

The F&E game box is already in use and has been for quite some time, at least a couple of years, developed by the capable folks here on the BBS. In fact, you can download it from the sticky at the top of this topic. I suppose you probably granted permission a few years ago since it's been allowed to be downloaded here on this BBS for that long. It allows those of us who, due to life circumstances, find it next to impossible to play tabletop F&E to play it via email.

Cyberboard really is an outstanding freeware tool for playing F&E. Without it, I know that several of your biggest F&E fans (including me) couldn't play.

If you haven't granted permission, or if you don't recall granting permission, I respectfully request that you continue to allow the F&E Cyberboard game box to be downloaded from the BBS. Thanks.

-Ted

By Nick G. Blank (Nickgb) on Wednesday, March 17, 2010 - 11:19 am: Edit

Oops, cross post!

Cyberboard itself is totally generic, you can program it with any game from checkers to something as complex as F&E. When you download it from the cyberboard folks, it has nothing specific programmed into it, you have to tailor it to your own needs. So as Ted said, the F&E gamebox for it was created by some of the F&E folks here.

By Randy Blair (Randyblair) on Wednesday, March 17, 2010 - 12:04 pm: Edit

IIRC, SVC said specifically that a computer game for SFB or F&E CANNOT be done (whether he wants it or not) because of issues with Paramount's lawyers.

I'm not trying to be the copyright infringement police here (well, actually, I *do* want to make sure that ADB is not losing income from freeloaders) but if the GAME BOX is not legal, then we all have to get rid of them.

ADB has the exclusive right to say whether they will allow the game box or not. And they can revoke that right at any time.

Pros to keeping it - as Nick said, it's just the map and counters and has no rules implementation whatsoever. As Ted said, it allows people to play who otherwise wouldn't/couldn't.

Cons to keeping it - loss of countersheet revenue. I don't know how much ADB makes on countersheets, but all that potential income goes out the window for every game box that is used.

Recommendation - the game box be developed by an ADB employee and sold for a nominal cost to offset lost revenue. If ADB chooses to be generous, and allow it to remain a free fan created product, then it's distribution should be limited to this BBS and not the Cyberboard website (which it's already that way now.)

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Wednesday, March 17, 2010 - 01:06 pm: Edit

"IIRC, SVC said specifically that a computer game for SFB or F&E CANNOT be done (whether he wants it or not) because of issues with Paramount's lawyers."

You missed a memo. I said over a year ago that we CAN do such software now.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Wednesday, March 17, 2010 - 01:07 pm: Edit

"It was submitted to ADB in the past and declared OK. That is why it is always available in the sticky in the header of this topic. Steve must have forgotten"

Yeah, I forgot. Don't remember knowing, but I don't remember what I had for dinner a month ago, not without looking it up.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation