Archive through May 02, 2010

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Federation & Empire: F&E COMPUTER PROJECTS: F&E with Vassal: Archive through May 02, 2010
By Bill Carroll (Peewee) on Friday, July 03, 2009 - 10:36 pm: Edit

Thank you everyone for your input. Lots of good ideas. We have started just putting our battles on one mat and concentrating on our own forces. Not sure secret setup would even change our setups, we have our plans pretty worked out ahead of time. I put my name on on of the other threads for spreadsheet ideas. We are using one Paul made but just wondering if guys have any better ideas. Couple of questions on the vassel module, what is the function of the racial summary, unit summary and compots tab on the toolbar? When I hit it the system sits and thinks for a time and then brings up a long string of pieces followed by a series of acronyms and numbers, just wondering what the game use is. Sorry about the basic questions but I'm a beginner trying to get a handle on this game.

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Tuesday, July 07, 2009 - 01:34 pm: Edit

The racial [empire] and unit summaries are supposed to bring up summaries of all the units currently in the game. I haven't been looking at it much as performance is currently too horrible to bother with much. I did look at it recently, and noticed some real problems. I need to document them and send it off to the Vassal people to see what's going on, as well as remind one of the lead guys that he wanted to figure out what was wrong with the performance.

It'll always be a bit overgrown for easy browsing (nature of the beast), but hopefully someday you can do things like double-check the current number of limited production ships, and find just where all your tugs (or whatever) have wandered off to.

The string of numbers should be just about the same as the tag that appears above the mouse-over stack viewer. Hex : SE : AF-DF (fighters) [replacement fighters] EW Troops

By Jose R. Barreto (Jbarreto) on Monday, July 13, 2009 - 10:22 am: Edit

Hi folks,

I am getting ready to start an F&E game with some local friends and we only have one copy of the rules to pass around. Are the rulebooks available online?

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Monday, July 13, 2009 - 12:42 pm: Edit

No.

Though the rule books are are available as separate spare parts. $15 for the basic 2K book:

http://store.starfleetstore.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=S&Product_Code=5006-02&Category_Code=FE_RB

By Andrew Bruno (Andybruno) on Saturday, July 18, 2009 - 11:57 pm: Edit

I am interested in finding an opponent to play on Vassal using SVC's proposed 2010 rules adjustments (found on the baords in the "2010" thread on 7-18-09).

I live in Arizona and tend to find most of my free time late at night. I consider myself a bit better than a green player experiencewise. Over the last 22 years I've started numerous GW scenarios but have never made it to the halfway point in any. I've played with every rules set published since 1986. I currently own 2k, FO, CO, AO, PO & SO, tho I haven't used every rule. As I don't consider myself a vereran F&E player, I wouldn't mind finding an opponent(s) and possibly teammates that would be sportsmanlike and patient enough to play a GW game with the 2010 rule change proposals and any/all rules in the currently published expansions that they feel comfortable with. If you're game, drop me a line.

By Bill Carroll (Peewee) on Sunday, August 16, 2009 - 05:47 pm: Edit

Hi everyone,

Been playing F&E on vassel and slowly adding the expansion rulebooks in new scenarios. I was wondering if anyone had an excel spreadsheet they wouldn't mind sharing with me for economy and production with all the expansions. My playing partner made one but as we add expansions we have to keep adding cells and lines to our excel spreadsheet and it has induced some errors. Thanks I appreciate it.

Bill

By Ted Fay (Catwhoeatsphoto) on Monday, August 17, 2009 - 08:45 am: Edit

Bill,

I've emailed you an econ spreadsheet by Chuck Strong and Mike Parker, it's a real gem. I've also emailed you a battle calculator by Robert Padilla.

By Mike Ryan (Mikeryan) on Monday, August 17, 2009 - 09:45 pm: Edit

Would it be possible for me to get a copy of spreadsheets as well, please? I'd appreciate it.

By Richard Biggs (Richinq) on Monday, September 14, 2009 - 10:29 am: Edit

Hi,

I have tried to download Total War EB from the link supplied above, but the file is not available. Has it moved to another site.

Many Thanks

Rich.

By Lawrence Bergen (Lar) on Monday, September 14, 2009 - 07:00 pm: Edit

RB: Send an email to Tim Losberg if you cannot get a response here soon.

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 12:39 am: Edit

Well, the file name is off, but it's up there anyway:

Version 1.1
-Fixed timing on captured markers
-Fixed error on Lyran depot (dup DW instead of FF entry)
-Added 'No LDR' overlay
-New K-PT art
-Added Vudar province overlays
-Added F-101 fighter chit
-Added '0' levels to Fed & Klingon fighter & PF chits
-Fixed default fighter factors on F-CVA
-Fixed crippled factors of F-DCS, F-NDS, F-4SCS, F-FHL
-Fixed K-RKL image
-Fixed K-EV crippled image & factors
-Fixed K-ADW image
-Fixed K-PTR image
-Fixed K-D7N image
-Fixed K-D5N image
-Fixed K-OPB image
-Fixed K-STB images
-Fixed R-SKG crippled side
-Fixed T-CVA crippled side
-Fixed H-CVM crippled side
-AF, DF, EW, & G factors update when crippled (not SE, sorry)
-New triangle factors for Z-CVL, H-LB, H-RN, H-DG, H-3DG, H-3RN, H-TG, H-CV
-New crippled triangle factors for F-CVL, F-CVA, F-FFV, K-D6V, K-CVT, Z-CVE, H-HR, H-OV, H-NSC, H-NEC, H-DE
-Added R-FE and T-CPC

The two big changes are the counters have been changed to match the new F&E2010 versions (any thoughts on if I should just get rid of the carrier group counters?), and the ISC extension has been extensively rebuilt. It *should* now be possible to playtest ISC War materials with the update (there's probably something missing...).

By Paul Middleton (Paul) on Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 11:47 am: Edit

James

My friend an I downloaded the updated module the other day and are confused about some of the Hydran ships. Why do some of them now have triangle factors? For example the DG went from having 2 fighters to 1 fighter and a half factor. The current SIT pdf lists the DG as having 2 fighters and makes no mention of the half factor. Is the SIT out of date?

Paul

By Thomas Mathews (Turtle) on Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 01:36 pm: Edit

Paul, in a sense yes the SITs are out of date. The 2010 counters have triangle factors on them.

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 02:28 pm: Edit

Right. Go into the F&E2010 topic, and peek in the New Countersheets section, the images there are where I got the new factors from. (Surprised me as well!)

By Paul Middleton (Paul) on Wednesday, April 21, 2010 - 10:32 am: Edit

James

Moving this from the Cyberboard thread.

"(As I recall, the H-GRV is only in the Four Powers War, and should be in the 4PW extension, with all the other ships unique to that scenario.)"

The latest oob pdf from the website lists a H-GRV in the starting oob for the Hydrans for the General War.

Is that oob wrong?

Paul

Paul

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Wednesday, April 21, 2010 - 08:08 pm: Edit

More likely, I am. :P

By John Robinson (John_R) on Thursday, April 22, 2010 - 11:03 am: Edit

James - I guess this is what I get for laying low for a few months. I missed the 1.1 update. I assume it is transparent to existing game files?

As for the GRV, I think you have a GNV counter. Is this not the same?

Also, is there any chance of getting the topic name changed to Vassal (like CB got their's changed from Computer Development or whateverit was before?) This is really not playing by e-mail since everything can happen in real time. In my opinion, the topic title probably turns people away. I know it's not "your" topic, but you are the main contributor, so I thought I would ask.

As always, thanks for your efforts on this awesome project.

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Thursday, April 22, 2010 - 02:14 pm: Edit

1.1 will not affect existing saved files. *However*, it does have the updated counters for F&K2010, and the counter images are stored in the module. So, you will see all your Hydrans get triangle factors if you switch versions. If you *don't* want that to happen, keep using 1.0. (Note that the stat reporting on existing counters will continue to use 2K values; not that the module handles half factors at all well anyway.)

The GRV would be the old-style Grenadier (early years) carrier conversion, the GNV would be the Gendarme police carrier in navy service (two-sided). The OoB says GRV, though that *seems* unlikely, given what I remember of class histories. I'll have to remember to double-check and then comment in the OoB topic if that looks like a mistake.

I think I asked for a name change and didn't get it, I'll have to check.... :P Possibly ask for a new topic instead.

And, thanks.

By James Wood (Jwood314) on Thursday, April 29, 2010 - 10:37 pm: Edit

I don't understand the difference between Vassal and Cyberboard. I have loaded both, and messed around with moving counters in Vassal. I have not done so in Cyberboard.

Which version would allow me to play be email and play head to head live over some connection. Basically I want to play against someone while we are both looking at the board and chatting on Skype or some other VOIP program. Also would like to be able to do some stuff via email during the week.

Which is the better solution to the above requirement? I also want to thank everyone involved in producing this electronic version of the game, one way for a guy in Guam to play this beast!

Cheers,
James

By John Robinson (John_R) on Friday, April 30, 2010 - 05:15 pm: Edit

Vassal allows you on your computer to move a counter or stack and me to see it immediately. CB does not, though Lar and the guys have a system down that works for them. I'm pretty sure they use their cell phones, chat options, and automated dice rollers to handle communication. With Vassal, that is not necessary.

I've been playing a game with a guy in NY for over 5 years via Vassal. Early on it was painful because the Vassal engine had some sort of problem that a new version fixed. Times to load files went for 5 minutes+ to under 20 seconds. He and I use AIM for chatting, though there is a chat engine inside Vassal. We like AIM because it is easy to save the chat log for future refernce (just how many points of DB did I use?) We use the die roller inside Vassal for all rolls. At the end of turn, after the phasing player has set his reserves, we simply e-mail the file to the other person for them to start their econ/production/repair. When that is all ready, we get together and start movement.

I realize the time difference may not work here, but we generally get together on Monday nights at 7:00 EDT to play. You are welcome to join us and see how we work it. Look for a room called DoEW or WBTS.

By Lawrence Bergen (Lar) on Saturday, May 01, 2010 - 03:45 pm: Edit

JW: John is correct about how we have optimized Cyberboard play. This thread is primarily VASSAL turf but I will explain in brief as best I can...

We tend to use some method of verbal communication mostly for the social aspect. It is not required but adds the sense of sitting across the table from your opponent. Skype or cell phone whatever works for you is best.

As for the basics you need the Cyberboard game engine found on the website. The gamebox file (.gbx) specifically for F&E found here. The scenario also found here on the BBS. There are other scenarios and once you learn how CB works you can create your own.

As for play. There is no tutorial specifically for F&E but there are a few tutorials out there on the web if you search. Maybe one day I will have time to get one together.

We use a chatroom and in the past that meant AIM chatroom because you could generate a dieroll right in the room for all to see. Chatrooms are nice because:
1. You can invite others to watch the conversation.
2. You have a visual (typed) record of what is taking place and it can be checked later if confusion exists.
3. The typed record can easily be converted into turn reports and posted on the BBS.

In the past couple of years we have gotten away from AIM and used other chat rooms and a website to email die roller. Examples would be Shadowdice or EvilDM die rollers (there are others). This allows a website, time stamped die roll with variable conditions to be sent to you and all necessary people involved.

With CB both players have the file open and you play along together. The downside is that you have to both work to update the file as you go along using the communication formats mentioned above. The upside is that you can work through some things on the fly if you plan has broken down and not tip your hand to what you are doing before you do it. We usually designate the phasing player as the responsible player for generating the "REAL" file as they will add in his economy into the notes area. This file is then saved at various times during the session and then emailed to all involved so that the next turn can begin with all parties on the same page.

My best advice would be to play with an experienced CB player your first time to learn how these things work. (At least until I get a tutorial up and running). Many people have just played around with it and formulated their own methods and you are welcome to do that as well.

I can answer any questions or even give an example of a play conversation over in the CB thread area. It really is much easier than I have made it sound and once it is running it goes along very nicely.

Sorry Rindis for invading your space temporarily...it was merely an innocent privateer style raid. Good thing I was brief, eh?

By Andrew Bruno (Andybruno) on Sunday, May 02, 2010 - 02:26 am: Edit

I adont like all the BS that comes w/ CB. Vassal can do everyt
hing that cb can w/out the baggage. I stated using vassal so that the pieces were where I could find them... every time.

By Andrew Bruno (Andybruno) on Sunday, May 02, 2010 - 02:27 am: Edit

LOL, this s what I get fer posting w/ my phone!

By Lawrence Bergen (Lar) on Sunday, May 02, 2010 - 08:00 am: Edit

AB: As a person who has sacrificed months worth of hours over the past 10 years so that others could enjoy it (and they do), I am rather offended by your attitude. You are of course entitled to your opinion...everybody has one. You have obviously have little experience with CB...and likely enough to make any sort of objective commentary. To each their own but I would offer that you have not played with anyone that knew how to play with it. If you would like me to teach you something about the game I will be available shortly. Of course all of CB's pieces are exactly where they should be.

By Jean Sexton (Jsexton) on Sunday, May 02, 2010 - 10:21 am: Edit

Andrew, putting down someone's work is rude and not something we do on this BBS.

At ADB, Inc, we're always glad when someone makes it easier to play a game that is loved, no matter what the flavor is -- Vassal or Cyberboard.

Jean
WebMom

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation