Archive through May 27, 2010

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Federation & Empire: F&E COMPUTER PROJECTS: F&E with Vassal: Archive through May 27, 2010
By Jason E. Schaff (Jschaff297061) on Sunday, May 02, 2010 - 10:54 am: Edit

One major advantage Vassal has over Cyberboard is that Vassal is platform independent: You can't do CB on a Mac, unless running Windooze through BootCamp or an emulator (shudder!).

By Thomas Mathews (Turtle) on Sunday, May 02, 2010 - 10:57 am: Edit

JL, can you use the vassal game files to plot moves then take them back without your opponent knowing? Sort of a here's what I want to do next turn kind of planning tool.

I know I can do it in Cyberboard, just move the pieces and then when I'm done tell it to cancel the moves.

By Adam Hickey (Ahickey) on Sunday, May 02, 2010 - 12:05 pm: Edit

Yes. Don't create a log file, or don't save it if you are making one, and there will be no record of what transpired.

By Thomas Mathews (Turtle) on Sunday, May 02, 2010 - 01:04 pm: Edit

Thanks Adam.

By John Robinson (John_R) on Sunday, May 02, 2010 - 08:10 pm: Edit

You can't do that live. But, normally you don't plan in front of your opponent (at least I don't), so that should not be a problem.

By Matthew Smith (Mattsmith) on Monday, May 03, 2010 - 05:37 am: Edit

I know CB, but have been trying to learn Vassal. I've definately found that whatever you learned first is "easiest."

I think both LAR and James have done excellent work in their specific project. The differences between them seem to be embedded in the game engines.

But it's not like it's always easy to find something in Vassal. For the life of me, I can't find a Kzinti brigade. All I can find are new single regiments. While I can "clone" one of the existing brigades, that somehow doesn't seem to be the intended solution.

By Jason E. Schaff (Jschaff297061) on Monday, May 03, 2010 - 06:40 am: Edit

Matthew:

To get brigades, you right-click on a regiment and select "increase" from the pop-up menu. This gives you a "group" of 3 battalions. Repeat to get a brigade of 4 battalions.

By Matthew Smith (Mattsmith) on Monday, May 03, 2010 - 07:48 am: Edit

Cool. I'll have to try that.

I've heard in the past how vassal is "more intuitive." There is no way I would have thought to try to convert a battalian into a brigade by "increasing" three times.

The interface is different, that's for sure. But until I understand how to use it, and then as I go back and forth between the CB game I'm playing and the vassal game I'm about to start, I really wouldn't have a real basis to judge which is "better."

But, like I already said, I imagine most of the differences are due to the capabilities of the game engine, and I appreciate the efforts of both LAR and James.

By Lawrence Bergen (Lar) on Monday, May 03, 2010 - 12:37 pm: Edit

Thanks guys for the kind words.

Just for the record Andy sent an apology to me via email and all is smoothed over with no worries.

I think he was caught up as one of the accounts that were deleted on 5/2 and he thought he was banned. In my response email I mentioned the issue and that he likely is not banned and to check with the powers that be.

LB

By Jean Sexton (Jsexton) on Monday, May 03, 2010 - 01:16 pm: Edit

Andy is fine. Believe me, people know when they are banned. There are multiple warnings; there are emails. You don't suddenly find you cannot post.

No, this is a Discus thing that seems to happen every year or so. All he has to do is re-register with his old name, password, and email and all is well.

Jean
WebMom

By Andrew Bruno (Admeeral) on Monday, May 03, 2010 - 02:17 pm: Edit

Aha! I'm back. Thank's for your patience and info Lar.

All-
Sorry guys (and Mom). I did come off sounding like a jerk. I didn't mean to. I'll try not to let that happen again. Kind'a reminds me of quote I once read:

"It is better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and resolve all doubt."

-Abraham Lincoln

Andy

By John Robinson (John_R) on Monday, May 03, 2010 - 08:34 pm: Edit

I've always likened it to Coke and Pepsi. While there are those who can and do drink either, most have a definite presence.

By Randy Blair (Randyblair) on Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 01:41 am: Edit

@Andy - I feel your pain, bro. I put my foot in my mouth in a bad way and thought I got banned too. Sometimes we do some really crass and immature things!

By Jean Sexton (Jsexton) on Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 09:16 am: Edit

Guys, honestly, you have to really work at it to get banned from this BBS. A bad case of Foot-in-Mouth disease isn't enough. You have to sin repeatedly and knowingly and with malice aforethought. You will have plenty of warning that you are on the straight and easy way to perdition.

Jean
WebMom

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 04:29 pm: Edit

I've heard in the past how vassal is "more intuitive." There is no way I would have thought to try to convert a battalian into a brigade by "increasing" three times

^_^;

Like Lar and the CB box, I really need to write a guide to how to use module.

The main guidance I can give to anyone is 1) play around. 2) right-click a lot to see what options come up. If you're seeing 'increase' and 'decrease' instead of 'flip' there's probably more than two 'sides' to the counter.

My first thought on your concern was finding where I'd hidden the battalions. The fact that you did find it is a comfort to me, as I know there's a lot of little cubbyholes to put away a lot of different counters.

Thomas: You could record a log file that you don't send your opponent. You can then have two copies of the module open (open Vassal once, the module twice) one live with the real game, one loaded with your plan. Just try to keep straight which is which.... (In addition to the 'don't save playing around'.)

Though, that reminds me. I think the note-taking module is now standard in Vassal. I need to add it to the module. You can have public notes, private notes, and time-release notes.

Oh, and thanks for the time and explanation, Lar.

By Andrew Bruno (Admeeral) on Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 11:26 pm: Edit

James-
what benefit is there to having the 'unit & racial' summary and 'compot' buttons? Hitting those is taboo in my wanderings.

Also, when you tweak the module, do you update the download link above or is there somewhere else I should keep an eye on?

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Wednesday, May 05, 2010 - 11:36 am: Edit

The idea is that you can get summaries of how many of each unit you have (useful for limited production ships), and get a quick compot/SE count of forces. I really need to get off my duff, and work with the Vassal people about why it's such a pain to load. The main developer has seen it before and was surprised, I just need to catch them when not elbows-deep in something else.

The link here will go straight to the new file (when there is one). I'll post an announcement in this thread, and on the page for the module on the Vassal site.

By Andrew Bruno (Admeeral) on Wednesday, May 05, 2010 - 12:04 pm: Edit

Okie doke. I've never been able to take advantage of those tools (read: understand how to use them) as they seem to bog down my system and I just stay away. Everything else is pretty much smoothe and accessable. Thanks for the feedback :)

By James Wood (Jwood314) on Thursday, May 06, 2010 - 07:56 pm: Edit

I am spinning up on Vassal and love the module. Can't thank you guys enough for allowing me to indulge in one of my favorite past times. Now why would you be building defense brigades Matt?

Cheers,
James

By Matthew Smith (Mattsmith) on Friday, May 07, 2010 - 09:41 am: Edit

Why build defense brigades?

Oh, I don't know. Maybe to shoot Klingon and Lyran vessels out of the sky if they decide to pay an uninvited visit to the Kzinti capital planet?

By John Robinson (John_R) on Friday, May 07, 2010 - 11:58 am: Edit

If?

By Matthew Smith (Mattsmith) on Friday, May 07, 2010 - 12:35 pm: Edit

Yeah. IF I build it, they might NOT come.

But IF I don't build it, they WILL come.

It's kinda like the reverse of "Field of Dreams." :)

By James Wood (Jwood314) on Thursday, May 27, 2010 - 04:52 pm: Edit

lol

VASSAL team, is there a good way to mark an owner of a neutral zone hex? We, Matt and I need to keep track of that and I can't find anything that might work well. Hoping it is user error on my part.

Cheers,
James

Thanks again for building the module. Vassal + Skype, or any other chat program is a great way to play when local opponents do not exist.

By Jason E. Schaff (Jschaff297061) on Thursday, May 27, 2010 - 06:52 pm: Edit

I've used independent GCE chits to mark control of NZ hexes before. They really aren't used on-map for anything else.

By John Robinson (John_R) on Thursday, May 27, 2010 - 11:12 pm: Edit

Under the Markers / Planets section there are two CAP markers (same section with the Dev, Cap, and Anx markers for planets). One is for provinces, the other is for NZ hexes. They both count up the turns that you control the hex for LTC purposes.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation