Archive through November 03, 2010

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Federation & Empire: F&E COMPUTER PROJECTS: F&E with Vassal: Archive through November 03, 2010
By Jason Langdon (Jaspar) on Tuesday, June 22, 2010 - 06:57 pm: Edit

Sounds like I should wait a few days and get the 1.2 version. I dont think Im going to be starting any game immediately.

The version of Vassal I have is 3.1.2. My F&E file version is 1.0.

Since Im going to be starting a fresh game (whether solo or with someone else) I figure I should upgrade both Vassal and the new F&E file.

By James Wood (Jwood314) on Friday, July 02, 2010 - 09:57 pm: Edit

Matt and I are on turn 12 off the grand campaign and keep running into memory out errors. In order to get it to save, I have my HEAP up to 5200 MB. We are very confused as to why I need a 5.2 gig HEAP size to save a 1 meg file? Anyone else running into this problem? Can I make the HEAP as big as I want or does it only use RAM?

Thanks
James

By Matthew Smith (Mattsmith) on Sunday, July 04, 2010 - 08:09 pm: Edit

In the vassal module, when I move ships into or out of the Federation Battle Fleet #4 fleet tray, it calls it "Carrier Fleet #2" in the log file that's recorded. Also, if you do a racial summary, you won't see Battle Fleet #4 listed.

By Paul Middleton (Paul) on Monday, July 05, 2010 - 12:46 am: Edit

Can the captured planet chit be updated to keep track of the number of turns the planet has been captured, just like the province markers currently do?

Paul

By Paul Middleton (Paul) on Monday, July 05, 2010 - 11:41 pm: Edit

Ignore my last post. I just looked at the relevant rule and see that the planet is annexed at the same time the province is. Thus there is no need for the planet counter.

Paul

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Tuesday, July 06, 2010 - 03:20 pm: Edit

Jwood: You might want to check on the actual Vassal forum about that, as I don't really understand what causes heap size problems. Are you closing and opening games a lot inside of one session? That's the only time Vassal ever gives me memory trouble. (Also, are you on a Mac? I seem to remember that they have more issues with this than Windows systems.)

Mattsmith: There's two places in the module where I have to set the name of the box; looks like I missed one there. I'll have to check if I caught it in the re-do of all the boxes for v1.2....

Paul: You have, indeed, found why the planets don't track turns. :)

By Paul Middleton (Paul) on Tuesday, July 06, 2010 - 04:48 pm: Edit

Yes - and I also learned that I should have killed that bats in 1605 a few turns sooner than I did. I thought I was going to annex 1504 this turn, but I guess not. At least I will annex 1506, as long as the Kzinti don't pay it a visit.

Paul

By James Wood (Jwood314) on Thursday, July 08, 2010 - 12:19 am: Edit

I have solved the problem. Basically there are two places you can change the heap size. One is from the begining menu section and the other is when you have the game map up and running. You must change the one with the game map open and running. This also has several other options and avabile changes there.

Cheers,
James

By James Wood (Jwood314) on Saturday, July 10, 2010 - 06:34 pm: Edit

Another suggestion, make a box on the charts that holds all of the prime teams for an empire. Helps to ensure that there are the correct # out there.

Cheers,
James

By Matthew Smith (Mattsmith) on Saturday, July 10, 2010 - 11:14 pm: Edit

To add to James' request - Please place this box on the "Alliance Charts" and "Coalition Charts" areas.

At the beginning of the game, you can populate those with all the allowed PT's, and then as they are activated, you just move them into the various fleet boxes.

I've done the equivalent by putting them in the "DN depot" holding box. It's turn 14 in my game, and I was starting to lose track of how many PT's I was still able to build.

(Now if I can just manage to get them where they're needed when they're needed there...)

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Monday, July 12, 2010 - 03:13 pm: Edit

In theory that is what the inventory lists are for. You can check in there to see how many PTs you've currently got. Of course, right now, the performance on that is so horrible I recommend not trying it at all. I need to get on the Vassal team about that.

In the long run, I'm more worried about keeping track of the number of POLs (and variants) produced, since that's a 'for all time limit' instead of an 'at one time' limit.

By Ryan English (Antarctican) on Thursday, July 15, 2010 - 11:08 pm: Edit

I've been involved in a face to face game of F&E2K that we need to move to an online environment. We've been using the 1" Counters and Fleet Charts available from this site and it would be helpful to have the Vassal fleet names match those in the Play Aids.

I've been able to edit the Vassal module to add the fleet boxes and add those to the menus. But I hit a wall when it comes to the fleet counters, which appear to be imported images. Is there a way to edit them internally? Any advice on how to proceed?

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Tuesday, July 20, 2010 - 12:31 pm: Edit

All the images in the module are created externally and imported in. Copy the module and give it a *.zip extension and then you pull out the files to modify them in Photoshop or the like. Don't try modifying the contents directly in the file, but go back into the editor and import them in. (Hmm. I borrowed a lot of fleet names from the charts you're talking about. What did I miss?)

By Nathan Dilday (Ndkid) on Monday, August 16, 2010 - 02:05 pm: Edit

How goes work on a new version for VASSAL? I've been holding off on starting me new solitare game since pre-Origins, since it sounded like 1.2 was just around the corner. :-)

By Jason Langdon (Jaspar) on Monday, August 16, 2010 - 10:10 pm: Edit

Im sort of like that. Wanting to start another solitaire game once it comes out, but given half my life is devoted to SFB FOG7, I should probably enjoy my free time.

Especially since we are only half way through Turn 2 !!

By Chris Upson (Misanthropope) on Monday, September 27, 2010 - 02:55 am: Edit

suddenly i can no longer access the vassal F&E server. for the past five days (i think), when i click on the F&E module, it doesn't even offer me my choice of mode of play. it loads saved games just fine, and "server status" seems well aware of servers for various games, and activity in the recent past in the F&E server, but there is just no sign at all that i am allowed to join in.

does anyone have any insight into this?

By Chris Upson (Misanthropope) on Tuesday, September 28, 2010 - 01:00 pm: Edit

never mind

By Jason Langdon (Jaspar) on Wednesday, October 20, 2010 - 06:38 am: Edit

Is the new version available?

By Jason Langdon (Jaspar) on Sunday, October 24, 2010 - 02:10 am: Edit

I ended up grabbing the 1.1 file, and found that my old 1.0 version saves work. Will I encounter any issues here? Or should it be backward compatible?

By Paul Middleton (Paul) on Saturday, October 30, 2010 - 10:39 pm: Edit

Any word on the updated module? Can we get the B11 added to the new file?

Paul

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Wednesday, November 03, 2010 - 03:32 pm: Edit

Okay, sorry for the long silence guys. New module is up! (Finally!)

Change log:

Federation & Empire

Copyright 2010 ADB Inc.
Used with permission

http://www.starfleetgames.com/
Version 1.2 11/2/10

-Fixed missing EW factor on L-DW
-Changed all fleet boxes to be 5x4 cells instead of 4x3
-Moved H-GRV into main module
-Updated main map
-Added K-3F5 group counter
-Added R-3F5 group counter
-Added 'Notes' box
-Added ISC Raid marker layer
-Updated Battle Hex graphic and added ISC layer
-Fixed Z-CD
-Fixed F-ECL
-Fixed 'No LDR' overlay
-Added K-B11

Before anyone asks, yes, current saved games should would just fine in this version.

By Jose R. Barreto (Jbarreto) on Wednesday, November 03, 2010 - 04:33 pm: Edit

Outstanding. Thank you James.

By Jason Langdon (Jaspar) on Wednesday, November 03, 2010 - 05:54 pm: Edit

Awesome. Will be checking this out tonight.

Fleet box change sounds good because I always end up resizing them anyway.

Not sure why the L-DW needs an EW factor. Perhaps DWS?

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Wednesday, November 03, 2010 - 06:08 pm: Edit

It needs a '0' factor so that the mouse-over stats don't come up with a '?'. All non-scouts have that... but the L-DW didn't for some reason, so it was screwing it up for everyone else when it was in the stack.

By Jason Langdon (Jaspar) on Wednesday, November 03, 2010 - 07:16 pm: Edit

Ah okay. Then I agree ! :)

What was updated on the main map?

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation