Archive through January 29, 2011

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Federation & Empire: F&E COMPUTER PROJECTS: F&E with Vassal: Archive through January 29, 2011
By James Lowry (Rindis) on Wednesday, November 03, 2010 - 09:22 pm: Edit

Not much, just some graphics. I think I tweaked some problems near the bottom. Changed the position of the "Hydran Kingdom" label, so the Vudar overlays don't end up on top of it. Updated the copyright notice.

By Paul Middleton (Paul) on Thursday, November 04, 2010 - 07:35 pm: Edit

Thanks for the update!

I did find a small issue with the upgrade when it comes to old save files.

Inside of a fleet box if you drop one stack of counters onto another the new combined stack doesn't draw correctly. The bottom stack disappears and only the top stack is shown.

I found that once you move a given stack inside of the fleet box that it will then behave properly when something is dropped on top of it. I just highlight and move all of the ships in the fleet box at the same time and then move them back to where they started. Once I do that everything works normally.

Paul

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Thursday, November 04, 2010 - 08:00 pm: Edit

Odd, that. Shouldn't really happen, but thanks for the tip!

By Jason Langdon (Jaspar) on Friday, November 05, 2010 - 04:47 pm: Edit

When I used 1.1 to open a 1.0 saved game it came up with a warning saying it was an old version, but I ignored that and it worked just fine.

From 1.1 to 1.2 there is no warning, so I can confirm that (so far) there is no problem with old saved game files.

By Jose R. Barreto (Jbarreto) on Saturday, November 06, 2010 - 10:05 am: Edit

One minor glitch. Kzinti "Battle Fleet" marker got changed to "Battle Hex".

By Paul Middleton (Paul) on Saturday, November 06, 2010 - 12:08 pm: Edit

I saw that too.

Crud I thought that was an extra marker that got dropped on the map in the upgrade and I deleted it. I guess I have to put my opponents fleet back :(

Paul

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Saturday, November 06, 2010 - 12:47 pm: Edit

Well.... drat! Just when I was thinking there wouldn't be any serious problems.

Okay, I'll have to make 1.2.1 a priority.

By Paul Edwards (Pablomatic) on Sunday, November 07, 2010 - 11:33 pm: Edit

Thanks for the update. While you're at it could you add 3KDR and 3RKL counters?

Any chance of adding orion ships ever? I have no idea how much work it is.

By Paul Middleton (Paul) on Monday, November 08, 2010 - 11:27 am: Edit

The Orion ships are there. You have to enable them in the Vassel Module Library on the left side of the screen when you launch Vassel. Double click on the Federation & Empire module and it will show up, right click to enable them.

Paul

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Monday, November 08, 2010 - 11:40 am: Edit

Actually, double-clicking should just launch the module. Click once on the little circle-and-line symbol on the left side of the the module library to expand the list.

Note there's two different Orion extensions as well. There's Pirates, for the normal play of them, and there's Enclave, if you want to operate the Orion Enclave as a separate empire with capabilities similar to the Tholians.

I could add 3KDR and 3RKL counters. Are you really producing that many of them?

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Wednesday, November 24, 2010 - 08:40 pm: Edit

Okay, I've been squashing a number of small annoyances. I'm hoping for the 'fix' version to go up in about two weeks, by which point I'll have hopefully gotten all the scenarios rebuilt (I just had to rearrange the Romulan chart...).

Anyway, while I'm in here, now's the time to point out any annoyances. Anybody tending to run out of fleet boxes?

By Paul Middleton (Paul) on Thursday, November 25, 2010 - 11:21 am: Edit

I end up running out of fleet boxes quite a bit. We are on turn 14 and the number of ships is starting to get a tad obscene.

The larger fleet box size has helped a bit and freed up a few fleets, but I could always use more.

The Klingons, Lyrans, Roms, and Fed seem to run out the most. Not so much the other empires.

Paul

By Jason Langdon (Jaspar) on Thursday, November 25, 2010 - 02:52 pm: Edit

Clearly you need to DD more !

By Paul Middleton (Paul) on Friday, November 26, 2010 - 12:09 pm: Edit

I just assaulted the Kzinti capital on turn 14. I lost around 25 ships and had about 70 cripples. I took the capital but it was brutal....

A couple more turns like that and I won't have any ships left :)

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Friday, November 26, 2010 - 12:36 pm: Edit

Hmm. Maybe everyone should just get a 'Crippled Fleet' box, that can hold all the remnants of their last capital assault? ^_^

The usual suspects it seems, though it's nice to know that the Hydrans and Kzinti seem to be holding up.

Well, new fleets for the Feds are easy, I can keep adding numbers if nothing else. For the rest, does anyone have any suggestions for fleet names not already used?

Also, how's the current menu set up for the fleets? If anyone has a suggestion for better organization, I'd like to hear it.

By TIMOTHY DOWD (Tim_Dowd) on Wednesday, January 05, 2011 - 06:11 pm: Edit

Stupid question, I'm a new user --on the Vassal F&E how do I make a battle happen?

Thanks much,

Tim

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Wednesday, January 05, 2011 - 08:11 pm: Edit

Look for the two 'BattleMat' buttons in the top row (there's two so that two different battles could, in theory, be resolved simultaneously). They bring up new windows that have all the usual battle force composition layout, and an area to hold all of the extras (some people don't bother to move everything out of the fleet boxes).

There's no real way to 'hide' what you're doing from your opponent when setting up the battle force, but it's easy to arrange by email, and it's easy to be preoccupied by your own worries if you're doing it live.

Past that, it's all manual like the regular game. Add up the factors, roll the die (Vassal has it's own die-roller), allocate damage, shuffle counters again. I need to get on the Vassal team about some problems, and *then* I need to see about a button to give the battle force totals.

By John Robinson (John_R) on Thursday, January 06, 2011 - 12:12 pm: Edit

Timothy and Troy - I do like Troy said, sort of. I open up one of the two battle mats and then open up the fleet box(es) and drag them over to the mat. Since this is going on simultaneously, we are sort of on scout's honor to not look at what the other guy is doing until we are all set.

We use AIM for chat during the game. We again are on our honor when simultaneously setting BIR. We use the Vassal die roller for VBIR, damage, capture, depot, etc.

And now I notice that James already provided a primer.

James - A total compot feature would be an awesome time saver.

Somewhat related to that, is there any way to magically transfer the fleet box totals to the associated fleet counter? For example if the Fed 3rd fleet has a CC, 2xCA, 3xDD, 3xFF, FFS, could the 3rd Fleet counter show (10 ships, 59 compot, 1 EW)? It is more of a feature request than necessity, but I am curious.

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Thursday, January 06, 2011 - 05:40 pm: Edit

No, right now Vassal (as a whole) doesn't really have the ability to do that. I'd like it too, but it's a bit further out. *sigh*

I haven't been paying attention lately, but there was talk about developing some math abilities in Vassal that have been slow in coming to root Java. If that happens (and I hear about it), a lot that I can't do right now should become possible (like rating crippled units at 0.5 SE).

General update: I have a bunch of little module fixes done, but it's caused me to want to re-do a bunch of included save files, and I've been letting that drag on. Hopefully, I'll finish 1.2.1 'soon'.

By TIMOTHY DOWD (Tim_Dowd) on Thursday, January 06, 2011 - 07:58 pm: Edit

James & John,

Thanks much for the help!

Tim

By Paul Edwards (Pablomatic) on Friday, January 07, 2011 - 12:14 am: Edit

Thanks a million for the Vassal module James. I wouldn't play F&E without it. You asked for fleet names. There seem to be a few you could use from the fleet charts in PDF format here on the F&E forums (top link).

By Andrew Bruno (Admeeral) on Friday, January 28, 2011 - 11:35 am: Edit

Hi James! :)
Any chance to add the Hydran PIG to the counter mix? Or am I just missing it? It's not in the "Scout", "Survey" or "Troop" ship trays. It's the CA version of the Hydran survey ship w/ G & scout capabilities: 4-8(1)GG*/2-4^G...

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Friday, January 28, 2011 - 09:59 pm: Edit

It's not in there because it hasn't been in a released product. The SIT schedules it for TO (which may, or may not, come out as such, and may, or may not, contain the H-PIG when it does, naturally).

Sure, there's a few extensions that give further stuff, but I haven't done nearly as much with that as I'd like. The main thing is all the early ships used for 4PW.

Anyway, it could be done. Is there anything that'd make a good extension package to include it in?

By Andrew Bruno (Admeeral) on Saturday, January 29, 2011 - 11:01 am: Edit

Doh! I didn't catch that- "funny", considering all the time I've spent staring at the SITs. I've been putzing w/ Demon of the Eastern Wind where the Hydrans have a bit more flexibility regarding builds and thought it would be cool if PIGs could fly. ;)
Thx for the quick info!

By Mike Dowd (Duellist_69) on Saturday, January 29, 2011 - 01:20 pm: Edit

I'm playing Alliance in DotEW righ now, and just hit turn 7. The Gorn got kicked off-map, but the cost to the Rom fleet was hideous. The Roms also managed to get the Feds involved early.

Now, we face the Klingon invasion and whatever the Roms can muster...

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation