Archive through April 05, 2011

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Federation & Empire: F&E COMPUTER PROJECTS: F&E with Vassal: Archive through April 05, 2011
By James Lowry (Rindis) on Friday, March 04, 2011 - 06:27 pm: Edit

And the new module is up!

Note that right now, the link at the top is going to the old version, the new one is here:
http://www.starfleetgames.com/documents/F&E_1.2.1.zip

Change Log:

Version 1.2.1
-Fixed Kzinti Battle Fleet marker
-Tweaked some PDU markers to be consistent with the others
-Moved K-B11 to extension, and added R-KCN, R-K10, Z-BB, G-BB, H-MNR, L-BB to it
-Tweaked Lyran, Kzinti, and Romulan RESV markers to show 'moved' symbol better.
-Rearranged Kzinti chart to fit window better
-R-3FE and T-3CPC can now break down to individual ships
-Fixed R-Supply Tug marker (had MB-Pod graphic)
-Turned on grid for Coalition base area on the Battle Mats
-Fixed H-AH (wanted to clone twice)
-Added Romulan, Kzinti, Gorn Commercial Convoys
-Turned off the visible grids in the ISC fleet boxes (ISC extension)
-Fixed R-Colony and Colony base
-Fixed H-PFP
-Adjusted Z-GRP graphic (was off-position)
-Made sure all empires fighter and PF chits had 0-levels

Okay, this started out as a 'quick fix' to the Kzinti Battle Fleet marker. It turned into quite a lot of work. One thing that didn't make it into that list (and should have) is the Romulan chart got rearranged slightly. That moved where the Romulan Admirals deck is 'supposed' to be, and that meant re-doing all the setups.

If you're using a previous game, you'll notice the position of the Romulan Admiral stack is off. Don't worry, it won't cause any actual problems.

By Lawrence Bergen (Lar) on Friday, March 04, 2011 - 09:26 pm: Edit

Nice...put the pressure on me. I working as fast as I can...curse this metal body!

By Paul Middleton (Paul) on Saturday, March 05, 2011 - 11:51 am: Edit

James

I tried enabling the BB extension, but I am getting the following error.

Unable to load extension BB 1.0: Could not find General in Scrollable List

Paul

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Saturday, March 05, 2011 - 03:20 pm: Edit

Ah, right. I rearranged the Romulans slightly after doing the extension. The place the new counters go is still there, but the *path* changed, and that's throwing it.

Had to fiddle around a bit, and go back to a copy of 1.2 to open it and fix it. For now, I'll just email you a copy of the fixed extension. Feel free to pass it around your group; anyone else who wants to use the BB extension, ask me and I'll mail it out to you.

By Chris LaRusso (Soulcatcher) on Saturday, March 05, 2011 - 10:37 pm: Edit

COMPOT: I just thought I'd explain the COMPOT report button: Clicking it calculates all the ships set-up in defined areas in the game box as well as locations on the game map.

The 2 battle boards are set-up in sections as follows(these areas only show up in the report if you drag units into those areas):

A=Alliance [Blue]
C=Coalition[Red]
1A COMPOT
1A Resv
1A Supp

1C COMPOT
1C Resv
1C Supp

2A COMPOT
2A Resv
2A Supp

2C COMPOT
2C Resv
2C Supp

The compot feature does work, but there are some ships that lack the AF/DF values. Some ships may not have values but its been a couple of years since i checked)

Fighters: (they show up, e.g, (0V0H6) say for a CV) Fighters were set-up originally by normal/heavy/special types (but only show up now on the special)but because of expansions making this not a good solution it's linked to the tick marks now. I recommend not using the tick marks as I don't know a way to reset them(and they are a bit too small to click). Use the Non Ship unit ship counters (Click "Ships" , select your race, select support units, select chits(or fighters) tab and utilize those fighter counters). Remember to account for any pair of Triangle counters. fighter counters then can be reduced easily by right clicking or using control-[ and control-]

Note crippling a carrier doesn't affect the tick marks or the report results for fighters.

LAYERS: Ships, Attrition Units, Bases, Planets can be filtered using those buttons. This filters them out of the calculations too.

The pop-up resport also summarizes what counterstack you hover over.

Lost Ships: the first folder has these under its appropriate section drilling down the folder tree until you get to off-map ships for your race. Capitals and Racial Charts are "off map" but fleets are not as they have names buckets to go into. New or custom fleets will be off-map.

By Chris LaRusso (Soulcatcher) on Saturday, March 05, 2011 - 10:45 pm: Edit

On another Vassal COMPOT note:

You can use the Racial or Unit Reports to see what is in a fleets tray and we see for example that the Count's fleet has:
22SE 110-135 (19)[6] 4EW 1G

What I've done as standard practice is to add this info to the fleet counter by right clicking the fleet counter and adding the label. This way when you take screen shots you get the compot for more than 1 stack.

By Chris LaRusso (Soulcatcher) on Saturday, March 05, 2011 - 10:53 pm: Edit

John R. There is a way to see the COMPOT it is in the Report buttons, just drill down to the fleet.

3rd fleet is:
26SE: 142-172 (12)[1] 4EW 1G

So if you want to see a battle force throw this fleet on the BattleMat (open that and federation 3rd fleet.) and refresh or open the COMPOT report and look at the sections I outlined a few posts above.

That help?

Note it takes up to a minute for this feature to initialize, refresh doesn't take as long.

By John de Michele (Jdemichele) on Monday, March 07, 2011 - 11:35 am: Edit

James:

Is it possible for a Vassal module to have multiple main maps, e.g., the standard F&E map, and say an alternate, like a no Tholians map?

John

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Monday, March 07, 2011 - 03:13 pm: Edit

John: Not easily. However, small changes like the Tholians are quite doable. Check the 'overlays' tab on the Markers pop-up. There's already ones for no LDR and the expansion of Vudar territory.

In fact, No Tholians is on the to-do list, and is actually partially done. Which is to say, I've done the initial graphics work (in CorelDraw), but I still need to integrate it into the main Photoshop map file, and generate trimmed down images for use as overlays.

By John de Michele (Jdemichele) on Monday, March 07, 2011 - 03:53 pm: Edit

James:

Awesome. Thanks!

John.

By John Robinson (John_R) on Monday, March 21, 2011 - 01:14 pm: Edit

James - Probably a dumb question, but is the latest module (1.2.1) backward compatible with older saved games?

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Monday, March 21, 2011 - 02:33 pm: Edit

Yes. The only things you should note happening:

* the Kzinti Battle Fleet marker is correct again
* the Romulan unused Admrial stack moved (and you'll have to live with it, counters returned to the stack will keep going to the old location)
* the Kzinti pod pool display moved around

By John Robinson (John_R) on Monday, March 21, 2011 - 10:36 pm: Edit

Playing tonight, I realized I am way behind. I am still using 1.0

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Tuesday, March 22, 2011 - 12:15 pm: Edit

Your game will still be fine with 1.2.1.

...Though I did shift the grid in the fleet boxes slightly in 1.2. You'll notice that old stacks and new ships don't play entirely nice with each other. Just move the stacks around (including moving them away, and then moving them back to where they were) and you'll be fine.

The biggest thing you might notice is that the counters have been updated for F&E2010 (triangle factors).

By John de Michele (Jdemichele) on Tuesday, March 22, 2011 - 12:20 pm: Edit

James:

I also noticed that when you break up multi-ship counters, you have to move the individual counters around or they won't stack.

John.

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Tuesday, March 22, 2011 - 02:07 pm: Edit

...I haven't seen that. Where are you noticing it? Is this a fleet box stack that might have the trouble I was just talking about?

By John de Michele (Jdemichele) on Tuesday, March 22, 2011 - 06:02 pm: Edit

James:

I see it every time I break a multi-ship counter into individual ships. Usually it's in a fleet box, since I prefer individual ships instead of 3x/6x counters. If I break a stack, and then immediately try and stack more counter on it, the original counter won't get picked up. If I move the counters after I break the counter, then they stack normally.

John.

By John de Michele (Jdemichele) on Tuesday, March 22, 2011 - 09:28 pm: Edit

James:

One more thing we noticed at the game the other day is that Admirals don't seem to flip to give you their rating any more.

John.

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Tuesday, March 22, 2011 - 11:14 pm: Edit

Okay, that last is definitely odd. I just tested the Admirals, and they work fine for me.

Can you send me a log with you having these problems? (Describe anything you're doing that I wouldn't be able to see.) I'll see if I can figure out the problem from there.

By John de Michele (Jdemichele) on Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 11:14 am: Edit

James:

Chris LaRusso pointed out to me that it is only the admirals that are assigned to the fleets in the base setup that are having this problem, not the admirals in the charts, if that makes a difference.

John.

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 11:32 am: Edit

They should be exactly the same. Though I should point out, that if you're using variable admirals, you should return them to the deck and re-draw them anyway, or else you'll have the *same* admirals at the beginning of every game. (Randomization is on draw, not on flip.)

By John de Michele (Jdemichele) on Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 11:54 am: Edit

James:

We'll keep that in mind as we go forward. Thanks!

John.

By TIMOTHY DOWD (Tim_Dowd) on Monday, April 04, 2011 - 07:11 pm: Edit

Hi,

Do you ignore reaction movement in F&E vassal?

Thanks,

Tim

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Monday, April 04, 2011 - 07:44 pm: Edit

No, you should play F&E on Vassal just as if you're playing it face-to-face. How you handle such things as reaction movement is a problem, just as reaction abilities are a potential problem in any PBeM play.

If you're playing on-line, then you load the game file, connect on-line, and create a 'room'. Your opponent joins you in the room, right-click's your user name, and clicks on 'synchronize'. He'll then load your game, and you will both be able to see what each other is doing as it happens. That makes reactions easy to do.

For actual PBeM, you record a 'log' of your movement, and send it to your opponent. He steps through the log, and if he sees something to react to, he records a log of his reaction, and sends it back for you to decide what to do next. You can also embed statements (or state it in your email) about what to do in certain circumstances. (i.e., 'If you pin this force here, keep going, it won't matter to the rest of the log.')

By TIMOTHY DOWD (Tim_Dowd) on Tuesday, April 05, 2011 - 05:57 pm: Edit

Thanks alot for the tips!

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation