Archive through June 22, 2011

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Federation & Empire: F&E COMPUTER PROJECTS: F&E with Vassal: Archive through June 22, 2011
By TIMOTHY DOWD (Tim_Dowd) on Monday, April 11, 2011 - 09:13 pm: Edit

James,

I have another question. In the last version the ships were visible. What happened to the ships on the map?

Thanks,
Tim

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Monday, April 11, 2011 - 09:56 pm: Edit

Uh... nothing has (or should have) happened to them. You're not seeing ships on the main map? First, try hitting the 'reset all' button in the top area. That should set all map layers to 'visible', which maybe you've fiddled with.

Second, is this with loading one of the setup files that came with the module, or with a saved game that you've done? If it's the latter, send the file to my email (in my profile), and I'll see if I can figure out what's wrong.

By Jason Langdon (Jaspar) on Tuesday, April 12, 2011 - 03:41 am: Edit

One thing I have found with the new version when loading an old version game file, is when trying to break groups into individual ships causes an error and the counter disappears.

Easily fixed by just going through all the fleets and deleting the old group counters and replacing them with new counters.

James, as an aside, how easy is it to create a map/edit a map? Youve done a great job, so Im wondering how much time you spent on it, and how easy it would be to make a new map (say something like the Early Beginnings or even something like the Far Stars Campaign map).

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Tuesday, April 12, 2011 - 01:45 pm: Edit

You're not the first to mention the group counter problem. It shouldn't have that problem, but it sounds like the old ones are having trouble finding the appropriate counter definitions. >.<

The map depends on how nice you're trying to make it. The current map took a fair amount of effort: I generated the background colors with Corel Draw and export them, then took two copies of a hexgrid generated in Vassal and trimmed them down too the parts I wanted (the white grid and the black grid), and then I export all the borders from Corel Draw and import them in. That last is the annoying part, but since I want some of the image behind the grid, and some in front of it.... And then I do all the text in Photoshop.

It probably would have been simpler to render the grid in Corel Draw, do it all as one piece, and then let Vassal render the hex grid numbers itself (not redoing numbers is why I imported in that hex grid in the first place).

No matter what you do, the toughest part is getting the grid to match properly. Thankfully Vassal now has some very powerful tools for getting it to align properly.

By Jason Langdon (Jaspar) on Tuesday, April 12, 2011 - 05:19 pm: Edit

So if you started F&E in April 2011 it would be a doddle !

You've done a great job with it, and if it takes positive feedback to keep you working, consider this post a +10000000000000000000 vote of confidence.

By TIMOTHY DOWD (Tim_Dowd) on Tuesday, April 12, 2011 - 08:01 pm: Edit

James,

I figured it--I had to start the scenario by going into vassal folder!

Thanks,
Tim

By Symon Cook (Symon) on Monday, May 02, 2011 - 05:12 pm: Edit

I'd like to say what a fantastic job you've done here. I haven't been able to play F&E for ages due to lack of table space. This is going to be good once I work out the best way to work with it!

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Monday, May 02, 2011 - 06:44 pm: Edit

Thanks. ^_^

And boy, do I know the lack of table space!

By John de Michele (Jdemichele) on Monday, May 02, 2011 - 07:19 pm: Edit

Not to mention kids, cats, wives, etc. :). Any news on the next version?

John.

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Wednesday, May 04, 2011 - 12:35 pm: Edit

At the moment, no. I haven't been doing any Vassal work at the moment (and I have a couple other projects to put some polish on too).

However, I have a PBEM game going, and we've hit our first capital assault [raid]. So I'm looking at re-doing the capital chart to be easier to use.

My thought is to turn the attacking force box into a mini-version of the battle line form (will probably require some stacking). I want to turn the Mobile box into the defender's battle line, but I'm wondering how to mark what's Mobile and what's Static in that form. In between, I'd also put in the BIR markers, and I'd like to put in spots to keep track of +/- points.

The Static box would stay largely the same, since it's the pool of things not necessarily involved in the battle. I'd put a couple of boxes at the bottom of the form to hold attacking and mobile forces that are currently in reserve. That should allow capital battles to be fought almost entirely on that chart without expanding the size of the chart too much.

Right now, the sticking point is how to do the defender's line and mark what's static and mobile.

Oh, and I need a way to point out which planet in the system is being attacked.

And I'll want to put the +/- point markers into the normal battle line form afterwards.

By Symon Cook (Symon) on Sunday, May 08, 2011 - 11:59 am: Edit

Seems to be working very well in my latest solo game so far.
The one lack I've found is a 'Battlemat' to store destroyed ships on as they accumulate for salvage and depot repair. Other than that, very impressive!

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Monday, May 09, 2011 - 04:38 pm: Edit

What I do is is when a ship is destroyed, I flip it to the crippled side (if not already), and label it "dest" right after damage allocation is declared.

Then, I roll for capture, and if it is, it is re-labeled "cap", and move it to the other player's reserve. If it isn't, I roll for Depot. If it makes it, I put it directly into the proper Depot holding track on the empire's chart. Otherwise, I put it into 'Salvage' box on the same chart. Or, it's not eligible for salvage, I just delete it.

At the end of all combat I go through everyone's Salvage stack and add up all the money and clear it out.

By Symon Cook (Symon) on Monday, May 09, 2011 - 05:38 pm: Edit

Of course! Use the 'label' function!
I should have thought of that! Thanks, that will do the job nicely.

By John de Michele (Jdemichele) on Tuesday, May 10, 2011 - 01:29 am: Edit

Symon:

The label function is also good for recording fighter factors, ground attack consorts, and a number of other things :).

John.

By John de Michele (Jdemichele) on Monday, May 30, 2011 - 03:52 pm: Edit

James:

With the ISC Wars expansion coming out soon, will the ISC officially be a part of the Module, and will you be updating the pieces to match the updated SIT?

John.

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Wednesday, June 01, 2011 - 01:10 pm: Edit

I'll be updating all the counters, but so far I'm planning on keeping them a separate extension, like the Orion Pirates.

By Andrew Pedersen (Krukeshank) on Wednesday, June 01, 2011 - 03:26 pm: Edit

James...

Another big thumbs up for your Vassal F&E module.

This has made playing the game so much easier.

-Andrew

By Jason Langdon (Jaspar) on Wednesday, June 01, 2011 - 08:15 pm: Edit

Even if playing face-to-face I dare say we'd be using Vassal. It truly is brilliant !

By John de Michele (Jdemichele) on Wednesday, June 01, 2011 - 09:26 pm: Edit

James:

Cool. Thanks for the update!

John.

By John de Michele (Jdemichele) on Monday, June 20, 2011 - 11:01 am: Edit

James:

Is the Hurricane scenario included in the module based on the updated version? I've been thinking about setting up a scenario saved game for it, but want to make sure I'm not reinventing the wheel.

John.

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Tuesday, June 21, 2011 - 12:21 pm: Edit

...It looks like the one that's in there is based on an older draft of the scenario. I have a fully updated version that should be in the next version of the package, and that I can send you now. (Well, once I'm home.)

By John de Michele (Jdemichele) on Tuesday, June 21, 2011 - 01:04 pm: Edit

That would be awesome. Thanks!

John.

By Troy Latta (Saaur) on Tuesday, June 21, 2011 - 06:05 pm: Edit

Ooh, when will it be updated for general download?
(NO NEED TO HURRY) I don't want to nag, because I don't know when I'll have a chance to play anyway, just honestly curious.

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Tuesday, June 21, 2011 - 11:02 pm: Edit

I'm going to need to get off my duff soon and update the ISC extension. At that point I should get the file here updated, though there are a few things I've been wanting to do with the main module....

By John de Michele (Jdemichele) on Wednesday, June 22, 2011 - 10:42 am: Edit

Details? :)

John.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation