Archive through June 22, 2011

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Federation & Empire: F&E COMPUTER PROJECTS: F&E Cyberboard Development: Archive through June 22, 2011
By Lawrence Bergen (Lar) on Sunday, June 12, 2011 - 10:55 pm: Edit

The files for the CB 2011 upgrade have been officially submitted for attachement to the top of this thread. When it happens, it will completely replace what is attached to the top of the thread now. If you want the old files get them NOW before they are swapped.

The new file is the gbx file (game box file).
and there is (of course) a new scenario file. At present there will be TWO files in it. One is the GW Scenario 601 The Wind. The other is from CL13, Scenario 682: The Second Fed Kzinti War.

More will be added later. If you wish to do one please submit it to me and we can send it a around to guys that know the CB system and can spot potential issues. Then once it is deemed well done we can tack it up with the rest.

There are some others being worked on already so it might be a good idea to check here first before spending the time.

You guys are going to like this.

By Lawrence Bergen (Lar) on Monday, June 13, 2011 - 07:09 am: Edit

Hi Jean, I will post or email you a list of Archives from this thread that may be deleted.

By Lawrence Bergen (Lar) on Monday, June 13, 2011 - 07:19 am: Edit

Cyber Board Update: Q&A

Q. Will my old CB Scenarios be able to be used with the new game box?

No. With all the changes to the new gamebox the counter mapping will not match up. The scenarios will have to be rebuilt.

Q. What if I want to play a scenario but do not know how to set one up?

You can post a request here and maybe someone will build it for you. Or if someone has time they can help you get started building a scenario which you could then submit back to Lawrence to be checked. If it is good then it can be submitted for posting above.

Q. What if I find a mistake in the gamebox or a scenario?

A. Report it here in this thread. It will be evaluated and taken care of. If it is big the box/scenario would get an update.

Q. Why are some units limited to a small number of counters?

A. Space considerations. F&E has a lot of counters and in order to give players the best possible experience the decision was made to include as many units and empires as possible. This forced us to make choices in the number of counters. For example, Engineer Units are limited to 4 by (541.12) for the Federation and Klingons, and the EB rules allow 4 per empire. Thus each empire has exactly 4 Eng Units. If you keep track of dead units and find that you have lost all of a limited unit then you will have to take it from your dead pile.

Q. I see you have matched up the counter trays to match the headings within the online SITs. I do not see a PRD in the counter mix, what gives?

A. Indeed the SIT was used as a guidline for organizing this new box. The decision to do it this way was to give you a way to search and find what you are looking for in the SIT and then match it up within the box. If you do not see something in the counter tray look for it in the marker tray. Markers represent things that are either one sided or do not move with the fleet such as a PRD or Base. Markers can be moved on the map of course but not placed into the Fleet trays.

Q. Can I save a Cyberboard tile as an image? Can they be modified or used elsewhere?

The cyberboard tiles can be saved/loaded as .gtl files which is some sort of library file. I am unaware how this works in the context of what you are wanting to use them for but there is a cyberboard group BBS that might know how to do this.

Q. Is it possible to set additional hot keys for functions in Cyberboard? For example, you can hit CNTL-ALT-Z to reset a counter's rotation, but I'd love to have a hot key to turn counters upside down, 90, and 270. Is this just a Cyberboard feature, or can you incorporate this feature in a gamebox?

These are technical questions about the CyberBoard Engine. There is a yahoo group that answers thes types of questions and sometimes adds a good idea to the game engine itself. Check into: CyberBoardML@yahoogroups.com

By Ted Fay (Catwhoeatsphoto) on Monday, June 13, 2011 - 10:50 am: Edit

Without an update date given at the top, what will be the version number so that we know when the above links have been replaced?

By Tim Losberg (Krager) on Monday, June 13, 2011 - 04:53 pm: Edit

Ted, it is simply called F&E 2011 now

By Jean Sexton (Jsexton) on Monday, June 13, 2011 - 06:54 pm: Edit

Topic is being cleaned out at the request of the developer.

Jean
WebMom

By Lawrence Bergen (Lar) on Tuesday, June 14, 2011 - 12:07 am: Edit

Cyberboard Note: While CB does have a die roller some players would rather use alternate sources.
These are:

EvilDM (http://dice.evildm.net) is one such roller and I have used it rather effectively.

Yahoo's Instant Messenger has a plug in called enDicer. This allows you to roll any type of die, and any number of them. then send the results to the person your talking with. (Not sure if this works anymore.)

Others may post their experiences and die rollers they have used.

By Lawrence Bergen (Lar) on Tuesday, June 14, 2011 - 10:18 am: Edit

When the new WIND scenario goes up please note that I found a minor discrepancy that should not affect play in any way.

The scenario assembler added all units from all expansions (thank you). In doing so he attached text to the expanded units indicating which product. For the Strategic Ops units the text added is incorrect and was added instead to say Special Ops. Players who have an issue can simply delete the text or correct it themselves. I have made notes of it and will correct it in the far future.

By Ted Fay (Catwhoeatsphoto) on Tuesday, June 14, 2011 - 10:18 am: Edit

My favorite dice roller is here: http://www.pbegames.com/roller/

By Lawrence Bergen (Lar) on Tuesday, June 14, 2011 - 10:25 am: Edit

For Future Reference as I go through the Archives to glean the important info from being trimmed.

Joe Stevenson wrote: "Lar, last time we spoke about it, you mentioned that if one changes the gamebox, one must redo the scenarios for that gamebox. Turns out, that isn't necessary. All you have to do is

1) add the new piece(s) to the piece group in the game box
2) delete the corresponding tray from the scenario
3) reimport the piece group containing the new piece(s) as a tray into the scenario. The new pieces will appear, and can be added to the map, or moved to other gameboxes.

It doesn't do anything for games already in progress using that scenario, but it's still a good start."

Now this will not save any of the games or scenarios in existence at present. This is a totally new gamebox with an updated map and all new trays. This means nothing within the box (other than the Fleet counters) in the same place as it was. This will help you if you notice an issue with a scenario you build and begin and then want to add a unit. We may be able to periodically update the box (such as adding a few ships from a CLog) from here on out without having to rebuild the scenarios as I have no big plans to redesign this box soon.

By Lawrence Bergen (Lar) on Tuesday, June 14, 2011 - 10:40 am: Edit

Wish list feature for CB engine:

M. Parker wished for: "I would love a Select such and such stack of ships and "send them back to the proper tray" function!"

Ted Fay wished for: "Hot keys to rotate the counters similar to the hot keys for resetting the rotation back to zero (CTRL+Shift+Z)."

I am not the CB engine designer/programmer.
I do agree these would be cool features.
Please submit any and all CB Engine feature wishes to the Yahoo CB group: CyberBoardML@yahoogroups.com

By Lawrence Bergen (Lar) on Tuesday, June 14, 2011 - 10:59 am: Edit

CB Reference files and Play aids

In 2008 someone asked, "has anyone made any spreadsheets for the races to assist with builds? Who could I talk to about getting them?"

The answer is of course there is. I would like to gather these types of things up and then post the whole file up at the top for you guys to have.
I will discuss this with Chuck at Origins to see what official items there are or what is 'in progress'.

As of now what I do is use a spreadsheet (.xls or .odt) I have made and tweaked over the years. Others have these and there are many types and styles. I also use MS Windows Notepad to track and plot movement and strategy. I also use it to layout a template for certain die rollers. This simple .txt file is small and everyone with Windows has it.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation