Archive through August 22, 2011

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Federation & Empire: F&E COMPUTER PROJECTS: F&E with Vassal: Archive through August 22, 2011
By James Lowry (Rindis) on Wednesday, June 22, 2011 - 10:30 pm: Edit

Details?

See my to do list:
http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/User:Rindis

By Jose R. Barreto (Jbarreto) on Thursday, June 23, 2011 - 09:39 am: Edit

One thing I would like to see in a future version (if possible) would be a right click option to consolidate single ships into group counters. Too many mountains of frigates and war cruisers.

By John de Michele (Jdemichele) on Thursday, June 23, 2011 - 10:54 am: Edit

James:

One request I'd like to make, if it's possible, would be to increase the 'on-map' area of the fleet windows. The counters don't line up as well when they're placed in the 'off-map' areas.

John.

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Thursday, June 23, 2011 - 05:48 pm: Edit

Jose: Nope, not possible. Basically, there are options in Vassal to 'replace' or 'add markers' to a counter, and that's how the breaking up command works. Vassal isn't smart enough for a 'look for two other counters just like me and remove them (and only them), then replace me with this'.

Okay, actually, that is something that could be done, but it would require custom module code, which is beyond my capabilities. :P

John: I just increased it once, and you want more?! :P I'll think about it, but I don't want those windows to get too big. I've got a decent monitor, but 3-4 of them start crowding out the map even on that.... ~_^

Also, counters to report to the inventory properly when they're 'offmap'. And thankfully the inventory buttons seem much better behaved these days.

By John de Michele (Jdemichele) on Thursday, June 23, 2011 - 05:59 pm: Edit

James:

LOL. I've got a three monitor set up, where two are big enough to show the whole main map without scrolling from left to right. Of course, most people *don't* have that setup ;). As for the fleet windows, it was more of a nitpick than anything else. It's just that I tend to like separating ships types out, and with certain empires like the Romulans or Kzinti, where they have a large number of ship types, the stacks start running off the normal map area.

John.

By Tim Losberg (Krager) on Sunday, June 26, 2011 - 02:15 pm: Edit

James, we were discussing Vassal at Origins, how hard would a module for Early Beginnings be?

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Monday, June 27, 2011 - 12:43 pm: Edit

Simple. And very hard. :P

As I understand it, the Early Beginnings map is a series of large hexagonal map tiles that go together to form the overall map. This is something that challenges Vassal. The tiles themselves are not too bad, and getting them to stay in place once down is easy. Getting them to act like regular hex maps once in place is where the troubles begin.

By Jason E. Schaff (Jschaff297061) on Monday, June 27, 2011 - 02:44 pm: Edit

James:

The map tiles for Early Beginnings are fixed, and do not move during the game. The likely (I think) problem for Vassal would be that there in initially only one province per map tile. All additional provinces are discovered by survey, and the discovering player has fairly wide latitude over exactly how to draw the province boundaries.

Does Vassal support map overlays/variable terrain features like those present in some tactical infantry combat games? If so, would it be possible to create an overlay for each of the possible province shapes and let players put down an appropriate overlay as they discover each individual provinces?

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Monday, June 27, 2011 - 07:06 pm: Edit

The problem with the map is the 'during the game' part. The fact that you have different setups is the problem, and what I'm getting at.

And yes, the overlays can be done. In fact, the problem is that main map will probably have to be handled as overlays of a type. Remember, the primary root of all things Vassal is Virtual Advanced Squad Leader.

By TIMOTHY DOWD (Tim_Dowd) on Friday, July 08, 2011 - 01:36 pm: Edit

Hi

Where all of the scenarios gone in your new vassal?

Thanks,

Tim

By John de Michele (Jdemichele) on Friday, July 08, 2011 - 01:53 pm: Edit

Tim:

The scenarios are saved game files in the F&E module directory.

John.

By Bob Fox (Tophat) on Friday, July 15, 2011 - 11:51 pm: Edit

I'm an old F&E player from the early 90's. Haven't played a game in over 12 years. I stumbled upon vassal and now I am basically wondering where to begin?

By begin I mean to hopefully find a game that will tolerate a rusty player.

By John de Michele (Jdemichele) on Saturday, July 16, 2011 - 12:54 am: Edit

Bob,

Your best bet would be to pick up the 2010 F&E rulebook. You'll find that a great deal has changed, but that's enough to get you started. You can then pick up the expansion rulebooks: Combined Operations, Fighter Operations, Advanced Operations, Planetary Operations, Strategic Operations, and the latest one, ISC War, which just came out.

John.

By Bob Fox (Tophat) on Saturday, July 16, 2011 - 05:40 am: Edit

John,

Thanks for the advice. After not finding my original rulebook with my game I had taken it as a sign to get an updated rulebook.

Any suggestion on where to find a game?

By Thomas Mathews (Turtle) on Saturday, July 16, 2011 - 06:47 am: Edit

Bob, just post in the seeking F&E opponents topic on the BBS. In addition to the vassal system there is also cyberboard. Both let you play online in similar and slighty different ways. A F&EOL system similar to SFBOL is being developed and is in testing at the moment as well.

I'm not sure if the vassal system has finished being updated for ISC War. A number of counters changed factors before publication. The cyberboard gamebox just got the finishing touches on a major update.

I would suggest reading the rules carefully when you get the 2010 rulebook. A number of them have changed over the years. With the 2010 rules, the old CEDS rules have gone away. Carrier Groups got broken up into individual counters allowing for CEDS to go away. There are a handful of "new" rules in the rulebook: Flexible Carrier Groups (this got moved from Carrier War, Fighter Operations), Flexibile Conversions (from Planetary Operations), Scuttling (new rule), Autokill (new rule, but won't come into play too often). Things like Limited War and early Federation entry have been better defined as well.

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Sunday, July 17, 2011 - 04:50 pm: Edit

I'm not sure if the vassal system has finished being updated for ISC War.

No it hasn't. There'll be an announcement here when that update gets done. :P

By Mike Curtis (Fear) on Friday, July 22, 2011 - 09:58 am: Edit

Please note topic name change to reflect the use of this topic to support Vassal with F&E.

By John Robinson (John_R) on Friday, July 22, 2011 - 10:06 am: Edit

Thanks Mike!

By Mike Curtis (Fear) on Friday, July 22, 2011 - 10:14 am: Edit

Your welcome, Vassal with F&E should have its own topic for a while.

By Marc Elwinger (Blades) on Saturday, July 23, 2011 - 10:20 am: Edit

I looked at the Vassel module and am impressed, I had made an ADC module and the Vassel seems to be more functional and certainly looks better.

I did not see these minor errors posted.
ISC needs PTR, APT, FHL, SR
Thol needs Mon
Klingon Fleets: The fleet trays for 1st K Reserve thru 4th K Reserve need fleet counters
The Fleet counters Joint TF Gamma thru Zeta need fleet trays.
I get an error when I tried to look at the BB extenstion "Unable to load extenstion BB 1.0: Could not find General in scrollable list."

Optional: You might need a method of counting command points for each race.

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Monday, July 25, 2011 - 07:42 pm: Edit

I'm not sure what you're looking at Marc. Is there are particular setup file you're talking about? Because in the main trays the Tholian MON is in the same place as everyone else's, and my response on the Klingon reserves depends on the same thing.

TF Gamma and Delta are under the Romulan fleets, and Epsilon and Zeta are under the Lyran fleets.

The BB extension problem is known and fixed on my personal version. It'll be in the next update, but I can email you the fixed extension if you need it now.

By Chris LaRusso (Soulcatcher) on Tuesday, August 09, 2011 - 09:15 pm: Edit

I think command points are better done outside of being on the counters. Otherwise it is just something that JAVA needs to load into memory and something else James needs to keep updated. I just pull up the SIT if I get any questions on command rating.

Now, the game does count Ship Equivalents 2 ways for pinning/retreat purposes. One way is make sure your preferences are turned on and hover over a stack of ships and you'll see somehting like 12: 90-101 (8H6)[2] 3EW 1G
12 is the ship equivalents, 90 Attack Factor, 101 Defense Factor, 1 heavy fighter squadron and 1 standard squadron. Fast and X ships are counted as 2SE(not 100% sure of X ships but they should). Crips count as 1. You manually take squadrons of fighters and divide by 6/8H/9V/10H to add SE based on fighter type. For movement pinning subtract the nummber of cripples as those only count as half. For retreat priority step 2 you subtract out fast and X ships (cripples count full there) and add fighters.

Additionally, there are areas on the Battlemats which show up when you click Compots button. Play around with those Battlemats to get yourself familiar with how it calculates the areas.

EW also some limits, just remember that a planet has a max of 4EW even if it has more than 4 PDU.

By Chris LaRusso (Soulcatcher) on Tuesday, August 09, 2011 - 09:21 pm: Edit

Regarding Early Beginnings I experimented a bit and I think you'd want to just make markers like captured planets and such especially if you used terrain.

By Andrew Pedersen (Krukeshank) on Saturday, August 20, 2011 - 11:21 pm: Edit

I've been playing the Gorn-Romulan sector of Galeforce on Vassal F&E Module 1.2.1, and came up with the following requests...

Change the fleet names to include the initial of the race at the beginning of their fleet names. This will make finding fleets easier in the COMPOTS list. i.e. G 2nd Fleet, F Home Fleet, etc.

Add a marker for the Gorn 1st Reserve fleet, Gorn 2nd Reserve fleet, and Gorn Admiral (either they aren't there or I can't find them :)).

By John de Michele (Jdemichele) on Monday, August 22, 2011 - 10:44 am: Edit

Andrew:

The markers are probably in the respective fleet boxes, if they're not on the map.

John.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation