Archive through October 17, 2011

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Federation & Empire: F&E COMPUTER PROJECTS: F&E Cyberboard Development: Archive through October 17, 2011
By Ted Fay (Catwhoeatsphoto) on Tuesday, June 28, 2011 - 11:30 am: Edit

Lawrence, I confirm the ability to build a new game file using the new game box for the WIND scenario using the downloaded Cyberboard Yahoo group files.

It looks AWESOME!

By Ted Fay (Catwhoeatsphoto) on Tuesday, June 28, 2011 - 11:33 am: Edit

Confirm download of two additional scenarios in newest upload.

By Richard B. Eitzen (Rbeitzen) on Tuesday, June 28, 2011 - 01:16 pm: Edit

The one I just downloaded includes:
601.0 The Wind
607.0 Four Powers War
611.0 Hydran Expedition
612.0 Wayward Wind
613.0 Reptilicon Revenged
682.0 2nd Fed Kzinti War
EB-Andro-Invasion

Very nice.

By Randy Blair (Randyblair) on Tuesday, June 28, 2011 - 01:29 pm: Edit

EXCELLENT!!!!

WELL worth the wait.
You did an AWESOME job, Lar.
Eye blinkingly stunning!

By Ted Fay (Catwhoeatsphoto) on Tuesday, June 28, 2011 - 01:48 pm: Edit

It's not just "EXCELLENT!!!!"

It's....

FABULOUS!!!!

:)

;)

By Lawrence Bergen (Lar) on Tuesday, June 28, 2011 - 03:01 pm: Edit

Jean (per your email):

Okay I have taken them down because ADB has their CPU fixed and will be posting them here soon. This is WAY easier to keep track of and way easier to keep things in house as they should be. Besides which I don't want Paramount sniffing around and getting me and everyone else in trouble.

Thanks Jean for your correspondence and follow through.

Also you may delete posts from June 14, 2011 - 11:04 am
through Tuesday, June 28, 2011 - 11:16 am

You may also delete the noted archives in post Tuesday, June 14, 2011 - 10:36 am as well as the post itself.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Tuesday, June 28, 2011 - 04:27 pm: Edit

Let me be clear. Never, ever, upload it anywhere. Give it to us and we will upload it.

If we don't, ask somebody why, me or Jean or Leanna.

I am not clear on just when Joel got them, but his computer was down for over a week. Major CPU and hard disk issues. 98% of stuff was recovered and the computer has enough new innards to count as a new computer. If he got them before it went down, then he just lost them when he was busy, and if you emailed me or Leanna or Jean we'd have made sure he got them uploaded.

By Lawrence Bergen (Lar) on Tuesday, June 28, 2011 - 09:51 pm: Edit

No problem. I posted in Joel's area when I originally sent them via email. I copied the original email to both Jean and Mike C (who was out of town at the time) per Mike's request (before he left). I did not immediately know that the CPU was down nor that there was no back up system in place for him to respond or read the BBS. Funny thing is, during this whole thing I was trying not to bother you because of ISCWar and Origins prep, and I had traded email back and forth with Leanna about my Origins order. Either way, I now understand the protocol for getting this uploaded and the rules involved in doing so. All is well and the issues that surrounded the whole situation should not line up again. Even if they were to do so I now know how to handle it. Thanks for your patience.

By Jean Sexton (Jsexton) on Tuesday, June 28, 2011 - 10:22 pm: Edit

All posts deleted as requested.

By Lawrence Bergen (Lar) on Tuesday, June 28, 2011 - 10:27 pm: Edit

To all: Please look this box over. It took almost 4 years to redesign everything. I touched every image, map, and chart as well as deleted and rebuilt every piece tray.

I am sure some of you will find something I missed. I have already had a core group of detail oriented F&E players go through it with a fine tooth comb. They really did an excellent job at finding some of the hidden mistakes.

The biggest thing with this Cyberboard .gbx file is that the moment it is released it is on its way to being obsolete. I doubt I will ever take this project as far as I have taken it this time. I am sure I will do some updating but unless something changes with the game engine there is no room for the next F&E product (Civil Wars).

Most of all though I tried to create set-ups for as many scenarios as I could. This was the request of many who had the last version of the .gbx file. Over the past 3+ years many of you built scenarios with the old box. This new box will not support them (because it is completely different). As you build scenarios not available in the uploaded files please send them to me at my profile email address. I will confirm that everything is correct and then add it to the scenario file so everyone can have access (and thus do not have to reinvent the wheel building the same scenarios over and over).

Enjoy.

By Lawrence Bergen (Lar) on Tuesday, June 28, 2011 - 10:27 pm: Edit

Thanks Jean.

By Richard B. Eitzen (Rbeitzen) on Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 08:20 am: Edit

Small error. In The Wind, Hydran Old Colonies Squadron should not have a LM as well as the LC. The LC should replace the LM, not be in addition to it.

By Ted Fay (Catwhoeatsphoto) on Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 10:14 am: Edit

Quote:

Small error. In The Wind, Hydran Old Colonies Squadron should not have a LM as well as the LC. The LC should replace the LM, not be in addition to it.

I believe the LM was left in on purpose for players who don't play with all the expansions, and for which the LC is not present in say the vanilla game. There are a few instances where players are expected to remove such extra pieces.

I believe the Klingons have one or two instances where they have an E4S and an F5S where, if you play with the full rules, it should just be one E4S - or if you play with the vanilla rules it should be just one F5S.

Hopefully, the notes on the chits themselves indicate this fact. If not, then I believe it's worth including in the next update that such ships should have a note included in them that indicates that the ship is to be deleted under the appropriate circumstance.

By Richard B. Eitzen (Rbeitzen) on Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 10:37 am: Edit

In The Wind, the D6 counters have a 3D5 counter leading the pack. o_O.

By Mike Curtis (Nashvillen) on Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 11:44 am: Edit

Indeed, as Ted has stated, the note attached to the LC states that it replaces the LM in Advanced Operations. This is also done with several other races.

By Lawrence Bergen (Lar) on Saturday, July 02, 2011 - 06:26 am: Edit

Cyberboard Q&A

Does it work on macs?

Cyberboard is a Windows program, but you can run it in a virtual machine easily. I am aware of currently two options. (I have not tried either of these but the Cyberboard ML Community posted these as options.)

1. VirtualBox is a VM manager that runs well on the Mac and is free: Virtual Box

2. Crossover games will work as well: Mac Update
It costs approx. $40.

By Thomas Mathews (Turtle) on Wednesday, July 06, 2011 - 08:09 am: Edit

I've started putting e-cardboard to the e-map for the pacification scenario. This one is going to take more time than Mike's Wind Scenario, and I'm cheating to some extent by starting with his work on the Wind.

My name is Turtle and I'm addicted to cardboard and e-cardboard. I can quit anytime, but why?

By Robert Padilla (Zargan) on Tuesday, July 26, 2011 - 09:22 am: Edit

One thing I just noticed is that the Lyrans only have 2 SAVs. They can have a Max of 4. Are they missing, or am I just blind?

By Patrick H. Dillman (Patrick) on Friday, July 29, 2011 - 11:21 am: Edit

Total noob question: I keep my user files on a different HD then program files. Were should I unzip the GBX file?

By Ted Fay (Catwhoeatsphoto) on Friday, July 29, 2011 - 11:29 am: Edit

Patrick,

I don't think it matters. Cyberboard will ask you where the GBX file is if it can't find it. So, just tell it where to go when it asks.

By Patrick H. Dillman (Patrick) on Friday, July 29, 2011 - 11:46 am: Edit

Okay.

By Thomas Mathews (Turtle) on Friday, July 29, 2011 - 06:24 pm: Edit

Ted is correct. And even if you move the gbx file from it's current location as long as you point to the same gbx regardless of its location then it will work just fine.

I have my game files in separate sub-folders. A F&E sub-folder off of the cyberboard directory houses the gbx files.

By Michael Parker (Protagoras) on Thursday, October 13, 2011 - 01:39 pm: Edit

Lar,

A mistake made that seemingly was never caught.

Fed ECL shows a crippled side of 2-3 it SHOULD be 2-4.

easy mistake to make but the Fed ECL is a 4-6/2-4 ship!

By Randy Blair (Randyblair) on Sunday, October 16, 2011 - 04:22 pm: Edit

How does one make custom markers?

By Lawrence Bergen (Lar) on Monday, October 17, 2011 - 04:04 pm: Edit

Randy it is done in CB Design...but once you do that you will make your box different from your opponents.

What do you need?

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation