Archive through March 13, 2012

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Federation & Empire: F&E COMPUTER PROJECTS: F&E with Vassal: Archive through March 13, 2012
By James Lowry (Rindis) on Monday, August 22, 2011 - 03:42 pm: Edit

Admirals, when not in use, are *always* on the 'chart' for that race. Because of the fixed pool of variable Admirals, those counters are non-createable, and non-deleteable, and default to a box there.

If you're using a setup file, look for RESV markers on the racial charts again. If they're just saying 'RESV', [a]ctivate them to show the numbered side. Or check the fleet boxes. Or the map, I'll often place them with the fleet the marker gets released with. If you're working from scratch, look for the RESV marker near where the fleet marker counters are available. Pull it out, Activate it, and then switch the numbering up and down to what you need (all in the counter's context menus).

By Andrew Pedersen (Krukeshank) on Monday, August 22, 2011 - 06:13 pm: Edit

Ah yes, Gorn record chart...activate and increase. Brilliant. You even factored in the optional effectiveness rule for Admirals. Brilliant, take a bow James. :D

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Monday, August 22, 2011 - 07:27 pm: Edit

That last one took work. >.<

Keep in mind that if you use variable Admirals, and you have a set up file with with them pulled, you need to return them all and re-pull them, since the randomization is at the point when they're pulled from the deck.

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Tuesday, November 08, 2011 - 12:15 am: Edit

By the way, if anyone's wondering just where the module update for ISC War is, I've been posting about the progress of the update I'm working on on my blog:

News & initial preview
Preview 2
Preview 3
Preview 4

By Mike Curtis (Fear) on Tuesday, November 08, 2011 - 09:55 am: Edit

James, looking really good. Thank you for all your hard work on this!

By Thomas Mathews (Turtle) on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 06:50 am: Edit

James, the Romulan SKR is in the R12 SIT, but factors are up for discussion.

For Cyberboard we added a lot fo the Captain's Log units that the SIT entries were completed for. With ISC War coming out and huge changes to the ISC units and the 2010 update Lar did a ton of work to make sure every unit represented in the Cyberboard box matched the latest SIT entries.

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 12:01 pm: Edit

I keep meaning to go through my Captain's Logs and create an add-on for the additional units there, but I never get around to it. Also, I'm something like three years behind on them. :P

News: Yes, I have been doing a lot of entries in the ISC War AAR lately, and yes, that means that I'm currently working up a setup file for Driving Winds. And yes, that is about the last thing to do before releasing the new module.

By Paul Edwards (Pablomatic) on Tuesday, January 10, 2012 - 09:50 am: Edit

James I am playing a game on vassal (War Plan Charlie Mike) v. Jose Barreto.

I might ask about a stacking problem we're having later if I have time.

For now, we couldn't find any CPFs in the counter mix--and so are using PF chits with labels. Any love on CPF, CPX, PPF counters?

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Tuesday, January 10, 2012 - 03:02 pm: Edit

I've always figured on just using the PF counters and labeling appropriately. For one thing, you can keep the CPF/CPX counter updated with the actual number of PFs present that way.

...I don't recall the PPF. Remind me of it?

Also, since you have more practical experience with CPFs (and PFs in general), what do you recommend as the best (or better) way of handling them?

By Jose R. Barreto (Jbarreto) on Tuesday, January 10, 2012 - 03:32 pm: Edit

Another feature I would like to see (if possible) would be a way to change a mobile base from deployed to undeployed via right click menu.

Also, a way to mark a planet in rebellion.

By Jason E. Schaff (Jschaff297061) on Tuesday, January 10, 2012 - 05:54 pm: Edit

PPF = penal PF flotilla. The Klingons can sub one in for one of their required penal ship slots after PF deployment.

By Paul Edwards (Pablomatic) on Tuesday, January 10, 2012 - 06:17 pm: Edit

No problem James, using PF counters works fine. Ideally, we would have CPF, CPX, and PPF counters that could also increase or decrease (just to distinguish from other PF flotillas), but simply labeling the PF counters as is works fine, so put this low on your to-do list.

By Paul Edwards (Pablomatic) on Tuesday, January 10, 2012 - 06:55 pm: Edit

James, we do have a problem with Lyran independent GCE counters. They stack on top of all other units in the hex (bases, ships, fleets). Other races don't seem to do this. Any suggestions?

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Tuesday, January 10, 2012 - 06:55 pm: Edit

Mobile bases (and PDUs and PGBs [which now have their own 'stored' counter]) have a 'not deployed' and a 'setting up' side, and have a menu-item to trade them out for a set up base in the (just about ready) v1.3.

Ooh. Rebellions. That's a good point. I'll have to look into that.

I still have the question: How is the current PF handling? Thoughts on how you're marking the status of PF tenders, and how that could be better would be especially helpful.

EDIT: Ah, the Lyran GCE counters haven't been put on a 'layer' correctly. I'll make sure that they are fixed in the new module version. Very good to know.

By Jason Langdon (Jaspar) on Tuesday, January 10, 2012 - 07:41 pm: Edit

When is the next module due, and what version of Vassal should I be using?

Ive been away a while and wanting to start up again, so figure I should wait til the latest bits'n'pieces are out.

By Paul Edwards (Pablomatic) on Tuesday, January 10, 2012 - 08:54 pm: Edit

Cool James. Sounds like the new version will be the bomb!

Since you asked again, all that is needed for CPFs, ÇPXs, and PPFs, are counters similar to the independent PF squadron counters, but that say "CPF," "CPX," and for the Klingons "PPF." All of these have a maximum value of 5 pfs (10 compot) rather than 12. Raid pools could use a box to record the number of PFs left behind in the pool while the rest are on a raid?

All this is entirely optional, as labels on PF chits work fine now.

There is no need to mark the status of which ships are carrying CPFs, as all that is needed is sufficient ships in the hex to carry them--which can change many times during the turn.

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Tuesday, January 10, 2012 - 10:34 pm: Edit

Well, I'm more wondering about how you're recording the number of PFs present on an actual PFT. Text labels, lots of flotilla markers, or what?

The module is due... last month. It is really close, and with any luck will be officially out before the end of January. I recommend the same version of Vassal for it as I do for the current v1.2.1 - Vassal 3.1.18.

And I just fixed several different GCE markers. I may end up moving them all to the Bases layer, since I think you'll only see them on the main map as part of a base installation. Tell me if something else is going on in your game. ;)

By Jason Langdon (Jaspar) on Tuesday, January 10, 2012 - 11:25 pm: Edit

Thanks James. Will make sure I have that version of Vassal, and will be hanging out for the end of the month.

By Paul Edwards (Pablomatic) on Wednesday, January 11, 2012 - 10:27 pm: Edit

James we keep track of PFs present (and fighters for that matter) with labels on the counters, yes.

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Thursday, January 12, 2012 - 02:57 pm: Edit

Hmm... that means that you aren't seeing any stats for the number of PFs present (using the flotilla markers at least gets you the AF-DF stats).

This is the crux of the problem I've been worried about with PFs. I've yet to come up with anything that seems like it would give anything meaningful, which is why it's still in the state it is, and why I keep fishing for suggestions. ;)

By Jose R. Barreto (Jbarreto) on Thursday, January 12, 2012 - 03:05 pm: Edit

Hi James,

I am not sure if anyone mentioned this before but the ship counts from the fleet markers count crippled ships as full ship equivalents. Also, it would be nice if there was a way to designate a ship as captured by another empire. I like looking at the Racial Summary page for VP calculations, but it is always a bit off due to captured ships.

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Thursday, January 12, 2012 - 04:25 pm: Edit

Sadly, those are known, and I don't have any good answers. Vassal is not currently able to handle 'higher' math functions (including fractions or decimals; whole numbers only). So, I'm stuck there. ...And once I do start tracking them (decimals are coming to Vassal at some point), I do start running directly into ship count vs. SE issues. (I should probably start putting in hooks to have both.)

I'm also unable to count fighters and PFs properly as SEs (even broken out into markers), because Vassal can't do anything like 'at this point be '1', and at this point be 0.5... and don't change at all in between'. It's the last part that I can't really do.

Captured ships... are a problem. There is a flag set for each unit that defines which empire it belongs to, which is naturally part of the basic set up of each counter. I could make it so that's a default choice, and provide a menu of choices to set it to... but that seems like a lot of module work for a handful of ships.

...Maybe I could have an on/off 'captured' flag, and a mini-report just for them so you know by what amount you need to adjust the figures.

By Andrew Bruno (Admeeral) on Sunday, January 29, 2012 - 11:19 pm: Edit

Hi James,
just toolin' around on the 1.2 GW Set-Up looking at starting forces.

In the Klingon IWR Fleet #3 there is a D5D. Shouldn't this be a D6D, or has it changed?

Regards,
Andy

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Sunday, January 29, 2012 - 11:31 pm: Edit

...That should be a D6D. Looks like that was fixed in v1.2.1. At least the game I have going using that setup has a D6D in the third IWR squadron.

By Chris LaRusso (Soulcatcher) on Tuesday, March 13, 2012 - 10:41 pm: Edit

Jose, been using Vassal a while. You just have to count cripples (use a separate stack) and subtract out half the count.

You also need to factor fast/X ships which count as 2 and count fighters/6 (and of course count fed fighters in the separate groups)

Important note about cripples is when retreating they count as a whole ship.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation