Archive through May 23, 2012

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Federation & Empire: F&E COMPUTER PROJECTS: F&E with Vassal: Archive through May 23, 2012
By Chris LaRusso (Soulcatcher) on Tuesday, March 13, 2012 - 10:43 pm: Edit

James, I think the monitor pallets have the same layer issue as the GCE.

By Chris LaRusso (Soulcatcher) on Tuesday, March 13, 2012 - 10:44 pm: Edit

What's the latest version now? I have 1.2.2 mod 3

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Wednesday, March 14, 2012 - 12:24 pm: Edit

Mod? Do you mean Prototype?

The current version is still 1.2.1. The last version I handed out to a few people for comments is 1.3 Prototype 9 (the revisions became so extensive that the version changed from 1.2.2 to 1.3). My working copy is Prototype 10.

By the way, sorry for the delays, but I'm taking advantage of the updated SITs that are coming out. The new module release will have an "Extras" extension that will include most of the unpublished ships that I know stats for (most of which are showing up in those SITs).

I think I caught the monitor pallet issue a little bit ago. I'll check the working copy to make sure.

By Chris LaRusso (Soulcatcher) on Friday, March 16, 2012 - 09:39 pm: Edit

Sweet!

By Matthew Potter (Neonpico) on Saturday, March 17, 2012 - 01:41 pm: Edit

Vassal is not currently able to handle 'higher' math functions (including fractions or decimals; whole numbers only)

A little trick from my computer-programming skillset that might help you:

Take your decimal number (say, 3.14159) and multiply by 10 to the [whatever precision] and drop the rest of the decimal. So a 2 decimal place number would be multiplied by 100 (3.14159 = 314).

You'd have to multiply all the numbers that you use with this number by the same 10^N so that the math comes out right. So when you want to add 3.14 to 6, your program is adding 314 to 600.

And then you "downconvert" just before displaying the number.

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Saturday, March 17, 2012 - 03:10 pm: Edit

The problem is at the point of 'downconverting', you're likely getting into decimals (0.5 SE). And that's something Vassal can't handle. (Yet.)

By Matthew Potter (Neonpico) on Saturday, March 17, 2012 - 03:32 pm: Edit

That's a matter for how you want to display it (or if you want to display it). The point is that this allows you to handle fractions in (admittedly) limited circumstances (assuming you don't want to do a rewrite of large swaths of code). But it could be used to answer questions like "I've got 5 half-fighter factors. How much compot is that?" The answer you're looking for is likely to be "3".

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Monday, March 19, 2012 - 12:28 pm: Edit

Keep in mind that the big target for decimals in the module is SEs. And until Vassal incorporates code better than what the standard Java libraries are allowing for scripting, displaying '0.5' for that escaped SSC target isn't happening.

(Also the answer to the triangle factor question would be '2'; fractions generally round down in F&E. ;) )

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Thursday, April 26, 2012 - 04:14 pm: Edit

And finally, the new module is up! Sorry it's been so long, but at least v1.3 is a real big update.

Change Log:

Version 1.3
-Updated ISC extension to the printed version of the product.
-Added a 'setting up' side to all MB-Pod counters, and revised art.
-New capital charts for all empires, and properly zoned them, so they do not report 'offboard'.
-Expanded the User Manual.
-New Battle Boards created.
-Added +/- points markers
-Added 'Frozen' marker for SFG victims
-New charts done for all empires
-Fixed typo in name of Joint Task Force Delta
-Added zoom levels to Capital charts (Vassal bug causes problem with Fed and Klingon controls)
-Added 'No Tholians' overlay
-Added markers for hidden declaration of which mauler will maul (308.44)
-Fixed typo in Federation base counter menu
-Removed markings for 'unexplored' Romulan territory from map
-Added 'unexplored' overlays for Romulan back area.
-Added overlays for Y186 annexed Gorn and Romulan provinces.
-Split Lyran Pod tray between Pods and Pallets
-Added a 'setting up' side to all PDU-Pod counters
-Added PGB-Pod counters
-Added 'replace' commands for MB-Pod, PDU-Pod & PGB-Pod counters to convert to finished base
-Added ground attack and EW setting markers
-Fixed lettering on L-CVP, L-CVM, L-CVH, L-CVL, L-CWE, L-CWS
-Added six Federation fleet markers/boxes
-Added seven Klingon fleet markers/boxes
-Added four Romulan fleet markers/boxes
-Added one Kzinti fleet marker/box
-Added one Gorn fleet marker/box
-Added two Hydran fleet markers/boxes
-Added fifteen ISC fleet markers/boxes
-Changed art for G-CVD
-Added just about all legal heavy fighter carrier conversions
-Added a full set of SFG attempt status markers
-Added three each Alliance Fleet and Joint Task Force markers/boxes
-Fixed EW on F-COV
-Added individual 'mode' counters for all HDWs, and the H-LNH and L-JGP
-Added counters for R-OMN and R-MGH with all legal modules
-Added counters for R-DMH with different SpH modules, and a few particular SpH/SkH combinations
-Fixed Megafighter chits so that text labels work
-Added F-101 to Federation heavy Megafighter chit
-Fixed K, Z and H Monitor pallets to be on ship layer
-Fixed R, Z, G and T PF markers to be on attrition unit layer
-Added Tholian Colony/Colony Base marker
-Corrected Fed Chart for 2xAVP pods
-Noted Fed repair ships removed for LTFs
-New Prime Team art
-Fixed R-MPS & T-MPS
-New Cloak Decoy art, Heavy Decoy side added & ability to hide decoy (for secret use) added
-Added G-CMX
-Added T-CT
-Added FRD+ counters for everyone
-Added F-FRX
-Adjusted H-SB, H-BTX counters for X-Stingers
-Fixed summaries to get less cluttered with markers
-Fixed lettering on K-C8S
-Placed scenarios into the main module
-Moved GCE markers to be on bases layer
-Fixed R-PE
-Added group counters for all Theater Transports
-Added K-B10AA counter

Warning: Using the ISC extension will probably require you to change the max heap size of Vassal (problem will not appear until you save...). So go into 'File|Preferences' in both the module manager and the module itself and set "JVM max heap" to 1024.

By Jose R. Barreto (Jbarreto) on Friday, April 27, 2012 - 09:00 am: Edit

Outstanding work James! Looking forward to all the new goodies in this version.

By Chris LaRusso (Soulcatcher) on Tuesday, May 08, 2012 - 07:13 pm: Edit

Thanks James.
I noticed you need to upgrade vassal versions to latest 3.1.18

Has anyone done extensions for LDR, Wyn, War of Return, Romulan Civil War, Seltorian, Vudar?

By Chris LaRusso (Soulcatcher) on Tuesday, May 08, 2012 - 08:16 pm: Edit

I must express my gratitude at the sheer amount of work you've done on this. I love the set-ups included.

Also minor warning to others as this is normal for vassal when upgrading, pieces will be shifted slightly on some boards when upgrading a game saved in a previous version. You need to replace the COV with a new one from ships to get the new factors.

Note Vassal limitation(can't blame James for trying cause he made the counters look cool): Same goes for the DMH which still has an M factor for the Sparrowhawk module which is hard welded under normal rules(and I don't think you can use one on a DMH). Additionally there should be a U module for the Sparrowhawk mod as my favorite is DMH-UC 10-14 (8H) P 1-2EW which is almost identical to the DMH-EC 10-14 PP 1-3EW. Note the all the Configurable counters seem to have a static AF-DF and EW. Anyways, I'd advise players to calculate EW and AF manually for these ships on their own and put it on a counter because these ships have variable EW and AF.

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Wednesday, May 09, 2012 - 11:42 am: Edit

Ah, yes, the grid did change on the charts and capital displays. The fleet boxes and battle mats shouldn't have any shifting.

I wanted to include every variation of the configurable ships as it's own counter, but the DMH defeats me. There's just too many to display properly in the counter window. I'll have to look up the 'U' modules.... I don't think I had them under the old scheme either. :P

No one else has written any extensions for the module that I know of. I'd like to do a few of the ones listed, but am generally stymied by a lack of factor information. (Though I have seen the Vudar SIT; I just forgot to get around to doing the counters.)

By Thomas Mathews (Turtle) on Wednesday, May 09, 2012 - 01:03 pm: Edit

Chris, you can't put heavy fighters and PFs on the Demon Hawk or Omni Hawk, just as you can't put both heavy fighters and PFs on any base. See (530.213). (525.6) is silent on the matter, but I think (530.213) would apply in such a case because (530.0) deals with Heavy Fighters for all empires.

By Chris LaRusso (Soulcatcher) on Wednesday, May 09, 2012 - 08:17 pm: Edit

Thomas I'm 99% certain you are wrong in this case. 525.65 specifically states that any of the listed skyhawk modules can be combined with any listed in 525.64
see the DMH specific rule: AO 525.64
Specifically listed:
Sparrowhawk slot: A, B, C, E, G, H, U
Excluded for the DMH: D, F, M, N
Skyhawk Slot: A, B, C, F, G, H

U module came out in FO.

By Thomas Mathews (Turtle) on Wednesday, May 09, 2012 - 09:38 pm: Edit

See Reply in General Discussion

By Paul Edwards (Pablomatic) on Sunday, May 13, 2012 - 09:59 am: Edit

James,

FYI we are using the latest Vassal module. Thank you very much--I am overjoyed to have hide-able cloaked decoys and C8VHs, etc.

We have, however noticed that independent G factors cannot now be deleted. Once we put them on the board, they are there to stay--right clicking doesn't give any option to delete.

For now we are moving IGCEs to the charts when they are not on the board.

Just wanted to let you know. Certainly doesn't break the module or anything.

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Monday, May 14, 2012 - 02:20 pm: Edit

Right. Something to take a look at and start up 1.3.1 for....

I thought someone might like the C8VH (and the like). :) Tell me if I missed anything.

Definitely would like to hear from people on the new HDW counters and the 'extras' file.

By Paul Edwards (Pablomatic) on Friday, May 18, 2012 - 12:41 pm: Edit

Love everything you've done James. Since you asked, add in a Romulan NHBH and a FHBH carrier counter. Also if possible a penal PF counter.

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Sunday, May 20, 2012 - 12:45 pm: Edit

Hmm. I had purposefully skipped the NHBH and FHBH counters since they already have 8 fighters, and didn't see the heavy upgrades to 8H2 as being very practical. Looking at the SIT I notice that they don't get oversized squadrons, which I was kind of thinking they would. So, if heavy fighters aren't breaking up an oversized squadron, the two factor upgrade is potentially worthwhile. I'll put them in.

AO did indeed say that U modules would be legal on the DMH, and said that it would be defined in FO. However, I can't find any official description of the U module for use on a DMH in FO.

By Paul Edwards (Pablomatic) on Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 12:55 am: Edit

Thanks James.
The NHBH is actually great. Only limitation is heavy fighter and then PFT limits, but the conversion is free, and you finally get to use those extra two fighters. Same with FHBH, but since I was converting SPBs, I went all the way to FHB for the best medium carrier the Romulans can get until Y182 (and that's PF time). It's tough to find slots to convert to NHBHs since I'm building SPUs and soon PFts, but I did get one in somewhere. SPV costs eps to convert, which is unfair.

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 01:57 am: Edit

Hmm. Yeah, the SPV should be converting over from B modules to U modules which would cost an EP.... And by that light, things like the NHBH should have to swap modules as well (though by the generic rule, they don't). And it does seem silly that the Roms would get punished that way. That should probably probably be brought up for rules review.

Though I'm not sure how you're using the two extra fighters that you weren't before. It should be going from (8) to (8H2), (converting the six-factor squadron to a heavy squadron without touching the extras), so you still have to work around the three-squadron limit.

By Thomas Mathews (Turtle) on Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 11:35 am: Edit

James, make a post in the warbook under fighter ops under the 500 Rules subtopic on the SPV, and NHBH. That looks like something that does need to be addressed.

By Paul Edwards (Pablomatic) on Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 02:30 pm: Edit

James the SPB can't use all 8 fighters in most circumstances because it is not an oversized squadron. Converting to SPV allows you to use all 8 fighters that you already have.

By Thomas Mathews (Turtle) on Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 03:28 pm: Edit

James, the V and U modules are differnt.

The U Modules add scout sensors makeing the SPU a scout carrier with heavy fighters.

The V modules are modfied B modules to carrier 6 Heavy Fighters (8H) in place of 12 standard fighters (6).

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation